These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Suggestion - Approved Watchlisting only

Author
Vacant Glare
Nefariam Cementarii
#1 - 2015-01-04 16:15:30 UTC
Firstly, I apology's if this has already been bought up.

Currently, you can have watch list for contacts so that you can see when they come online and no way to prevent it.

Why do we have an omnipotent system like this. At the moment can always know when someone is online without gaining there permission first. Which is good for friends but should not be available for any others.

Suggestion - Add a check box to the contact creation window requesting approval from intended contact.

Intel should be earned not free.

At the least a person/group should have eyes on a system so they can be reported as online, which can be done by running a locator agent on them to at least know the system they are in.

Ms Forum Alt
Doomheim
#2 - 2015-01-04 16:16:39 UTC
Err no and especially no in the era of covert cloaky hot-droppers who log off in or near your systems.
Bob Maths
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-01-04 16:18:50 UTC
Define earn.

"Would you like us to spy on you?"
"No. GTFO"
"Oh :( I'm so sorry about that."

That is not how the real world works and EVE emulates that to some extent.
Vacant Glare
Nefariam Cementarii
#4 - 2015-01-04 16:48:52 UTC
Ms Forum Alt wrote:
Err no and especially no in the era of covert cloaky hot-droppers who log off in or near your systems.
This point is answered in the last para
At the least a person/group should have eyes on a system so they can be reported as online.
Ms Forum Alt wrote:
Define earn.
Answered above
Ms Forum Alt wrote:
Who the hell spies on E-UNI Shocked
Ms Forum Alt wrote:
So you know when your kindergarten teacher goes offline then?
LeFleur
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-01-04 17:01:48 UTC
Everybody has spies on the uni, we also train spies, becuase they are also a part of the game.

And I think this would be a very bad idea, as it would take a whole chunk of functionality out of the watchlist.
Aiyshimin
Shiva Furnace
#6 - 2015-01-04 17:10:57 UTC
This needs to happen, watchlist is a purely metagame feature and should never have been implemented as it is.

+1

Aiyshimin
Shiva Furnace
#7 - 2015-01-04 17:12:13 UTC
Bob Maths wrote:
Define earn.

"No. GTFO"
"Oh :( I'm so sorry about that."

You'd still be free to spy on everyone, but the game wouldn't do it for you free and 100% effortlessly
Mario Putzo
#8 - 2015-01-04 17:14:52 UTC
Watchlist does need a change, I shouldn't be afforded the opportunity to know if someone is online or not simply at my own discretion. +1 for the change.
Iain Cariaba
#9 - 2015-01-04 17:15:46 UTC
Dig through TMC, EN24, and any other EvE news site you can think of. Specifically look for supercarrier and titan ambushes, and read how many of those kills were because people had the pilot watchlisted and knew when to start actively searching. Here's a hint, a lot of them were.

Also, having your enemies blops pilots listed is one of the counters to cloaky camping. If you're being cloaky camped, but there's no blops or titans logged on, than it's not likely you're going to get dropped on. Granted, this isn't 100% certain, but close enough.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2015-01-04 17:17:42 UTC
EVE is a big place, it doesnt tell you where they are. I'm broadly ok with it.

Let's face it, it's mainly only supers that care and they're not at enough risk as it is.

-1 for MORE super safety.
Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2015-01-04 17:46:44 UTC
afkalt wrote:
EVE is a big place, it doesnt tell you where they are. I'm broadly ok with it.

Following this, hint for the OP.

Icon flashes up in the corner. Its the watch target.
"OMG! SOANDSO IS ON! LETS GET THE!"
"You know where they are?"
"No, but hurry!"
"Dude, seriously we need to know where to go."
"I DON'T KNOW!"
"Have you run a locator agent?"
"Whats that?"

At that point, you get the hint....250k isk question answered in 5 minutes that intel isn't free from locator agents. Constellations are huge and its a pain enough warping to every location to just look for them in a single system let alone an entire region. If you are caught in a single location cause they knew you logged in at the time....that's your fault for being unprepared to escape or fight back cause then you where too predictable.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#12 - 2015-01-04 19:00:58 UTC
Aiyshimin wrote:
This needs to happen, watchlist is a purely metagame feature and should never have been implemented as it is.

+1

most of eve is meta game
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#13 - 2015-01-04 19:04:14 UTC
Posting to confirm that EVE is not about giving consent.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#14 - 2015-01-04 19:10:45 UTC
If people wish to add me and know when I'm on-line, then be my guest. It will not stop me having fun.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#15 - 2015-01-04 19:14:03 UTC
I'm split on this. I do think it's too easy-mode from an intel standpoint. I also don't want to see all the content it creates taken away.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Zimmer Jones
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2015-01-04 19:34:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmer Jones
If the argument is free Intel, have it only available in outposts, and make it a service, just like fitting/refining. No free Intel in enemy outposts. A fee for services to open the window, sov controlled of course

Also gives your ship spinning market alts more utility.

Admittedly I'm only thinking of null in this, might have to be an agent interaction in high/low

Addendum: no consent from the opposite side, you give consent when you log in, ad does everyone else

Use the force without consent and the court wont acquit you even if you are a card carryin', robe wearin' Jedi.

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2015-01-04 19:39:36 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Dig through TMC, EN24, and any other EvE news site you can think of. Specifically look for supercarrier and titan ambushes, and read how many of those kills were because people had the pilot watchlisted and knew when to start actively searching. Here's a hint, a lot of them were.

Also, having your enemies blops pilots listed is one of the counters to cloaky camping. If you're being cloaky camped, but there's no blops or titans logged on, than it's not likely you're going to get dropped on. Granted, this isn't 100% certain, but close enough.

on the flipside, I've been in plenty of fleets where they decided not to come or out (or us not to go out) because they new the enemy logged in all their caps and such.