These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New contextual menu ==> EVETiles

Author
marVLs
#1 - 2014-12-28 16:12:19 UTC
Just a quick idea of new contextual menu.

EVE Tiles

What do You tkink about that system? Ofc fully customizable.
Wouldn't be faster, more intuitive, better overall?

Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2014-12-28 16:36:57 UTC
marVLs wrote:

Maybe if eve way played on a tablet or smartphone, but atm... no.
marVLs
#3 - 2014-12-28 22:18:49 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
marVLs wrote:

May You tell why? I came with this because sometimes (especially on small laptop screens and hardware) i miss chosen option or im looking it relatively long, and it would fit new UI style (more focus on shapes which are faster to operate)
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-12-28 22:31:36 UTC
marVLs wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
marVLs wrote:

May You tell why? I came with this because sometimes (especially on small laptop screens and hardware) i miss chosen option or im looking it relatively long, and it would fit new UI style (more focus on shapes which are faster to operate)

Well first of all, 90% of the time I want a fairly limited amount of information cluttering up my screen at any one time.

That means that the further I can break down windows into their separate parts, the better. That lets me minimize everything I don't immediately need. I also dislike having the center of my screen obscured, so that means everything gets broken down seperately and lined around the outside of the screen.

I don't need a fusion window of overview, show info, selected item, inventory, w/e.

When I want a selected item bar, I'll open it and pin it in a corner where it's exactly where I want it.
If I want an overview up, I'll open it and put it exactly where I want it.
If I want an inter info panel open, I'll open it and put it where I want it.

Attempting to take all of these and fuse them into a single menu is about as effective as taking chocolate cake, mixing it in a blender, and expecting the result to be good.

So while it may be a benefit on extremely small screens or touch interfaces, the vast majority of the playerbase plays the game on a reasonable sized screen. Changing the UI to one adapted to people who have to choose space efficiency over convenience would only **** off everyone playing the game on a decent monitor.

And I don't really see CCP maintaining multiple concurrent UI systems, one especially for people with tiny screens.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#5 - 2014-12-28 22:37:20 UTC
marVLs wrote:
Just a quick idea of new contextual menu.

EVE Tiles

What do You tkink about that system? Ofc fully customizable.

I like it. I'm playing with 90% UI scaling, so the context menu becomes quite compressed.

But I fear there might be issues with the plethora of different entries that can appear in the rightclick menu (just think about rightclick space, rightclick corp member or rightclick dude in watchlist). Seems nice, but looks very tricky.