These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Best gallente low sp nullsec ratting ship/fit?

Author
Ezpzy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-12-26 10:10:05 UTC
I only have about 1m sp, my gnosis got ganked and blown up recently so I figured I I'd try ratting with vexor but my dps is really low and I do follow the faction damage type cheat sheet but I still kill things very slowly. Any tips what ships and fit would work for new players with low sp to efficiently rat in null sec? What?
ggodhsup
relocation LLC.
#2 - 2014-12-26 14:26:32 UTC
a vexor is a solid choice. i like the enyo too, but you will need a few more SP for that.

you just need SP. 1 mil SP is very limiting, but even a little commitment and you will have more than enough to make a vexor shred belt rats.

just remember, take it slow.....eve is harsh for those that rush it.
Justin Zaine
#3 - 2014-12-26 18:45:50 UTC
Yeah, Vexor is probably one of the better options for what you're trying to do. You're limited by your SP, so all you can really do is wait. Make sure you're training relevant skills (Drone/Armor) if you want to make the most effective use of the ship.

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.

He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-12-26 19:50:28 UTC
can probably do just as well in an algos tbh. Get under guns and blast them
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#5 - 2014-12-26 20:09:08 UTC
I know a lot of people who are very effective with a Vexor.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Ezpzy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-12-26 21:55:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Ezpzy
Perhaps my fitting is kinda off or I jsut dont have enough sp to make vexor effective but this is the fit I'm using

I have around 100ish turret dps and 170 Drone DPS, my tank is kinda ok and have no issues so far. The main problem lies on my slow dps and it take ages to take them down.

Dual 150mm Prototype Gauss Gun

Experimental 10MN Afterburner I
Eutectic Capacitor Charge Array

Medium 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I
Prototype Armor Kinetic Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermic Hardener I
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Wasp x 2
Vespa x 2
Hornet x 1

If you guys got any tips/adjustments how to fit my vexor properly do let me know!
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-12-26 23:05:51 UTC
best damage setup for drones in a vexor would be 2x heavy 2x medium 1x light

most likely whats holding you back is drone skills and gallente cruiser

Ezpzy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-12-26 23:07:33 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
best damage setup for drones in a vexor would be 2x heavy 2x medium 1x light

most likely whats holding you back is drone skills and gallente cruiser

Oh yeah tahts what I have, I meant to type Wasp x 2. that was a typo
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-12-26 23:08:28 UTC
you will want to get drone interfacing to 3, gallente cruiser 4 for the biggest increases in damage for time spent

then start working up to tech 2 drones starting with lights
Ezpzy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-12-26 23:15:40 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
you will want to get drone interfacing to 3, gallente cruiser 4 for the biggest increases in damage for time spent

then start working up to tech 2 drones starting with lights

Yeah I have Drone interfacing to 3 but only 3 on gallente cruiser. I was thinking of getting more level on drone interfacing to get my sentry drones online for VNI instead of getting tech 2 drones on light,med,heavy since those will take a lot of time to train and might not become as useful as sentry drones?

Also what are your thoughts on Gila? I dont really like the price but Ishtar will prolly take 50 more days or so for me train. Gila is something I'm considering while slowly working towards my ishtar.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#11 - 2014-12-27 00:14:15 UTC
Gila is good with mediums. I wouldn't rush T2 sentries because it is a very long train. Just get them to 4 and use faction sentries. They are pretty good and not too expensive.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Justin Zaine
#12 - 2014-12-27 04:14:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Justin Zaine
Zappity wrote:
Gila is good with mediums. I wouldn't rush T2 sentries because it is a very long train. Just get them to 4 and use faction sentries. They are pretty good and not too expensive.

OP probably isn't interested in cross training for the Gila, though yeah it is good.

Algos is also sufficient but I'd say that Vexor is the best bang for your buck in this instance.

A couple suggestions on your fit:

- If you're going for dps, use all Gallente drones.
- Maybe try fitting Blasters. Don't know if you have the PG for it but if you can tank the rat dps it's worth a try.
- If you find that you've got more tank than necessary, trade out some low slots for more DDA's.
- Take off those cap rigs asap and change them out for drone rigs.

I don't fly Vexor's in PVP let alone PVE so I don't really know if these suggestions will work for you, but try them out and see if you cant squeeze out any more dps than you currently have.

Ezpzy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-12-27 04:19:26 UTC
Justin Zaine wrote:
Zappity wrote:

OP probably isn't interested in cross training for the Gila, though yeah it is good.

Algos is also sufficient but I'd say that Vexor is the best bang for your buck in this instance.

- Maybe try fitting Blasters. Don't know if you have the PG for it but if you can tank the rat dps it's worth a try.
- If you find that you've got more tank than necessary, trade out some low slots for more DDA's.

I don't fly Vexor's in PVP let alone PVE so I don't really know if these suggestions will work for you, but try them out and see if you cant squeeze out any more dps than you currently have.

I dont think algos will work since I'm ratting in nullsec and mostly fights rats with 1m+ isk bounties, I forgot the ship size but I think its BC's? my vexor could barely tank 2 of them I just dont see algos a viable option for me unless your talking about some cheesy strat fits like kiting or something but I'll be worried about algos dps as well.
Justin Zaine
#14 - 2014-12-27 04:25:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Justin Zaine
Ezpzy wrote:
Justin Zaine wrote:
Zappity wrote:

I dont think algos will work since I'm ratting in nullsec and mostly fights rats with 1m+ isk bounties, I forgot the ship size but I think its BC's? my vexor could barely tank 2 of them I just dont see algos a viable option for me unless your talking about some cheesy strat fits like kiting or something but I'll be worried about algos dps as well.

Oops I overlooked the part where you said it was in null.

In that case at your SP level, yeah Algos is too small. (It's a Destroyer, btw.) Most new players end up compensating for lack of SP by flying bigger, naturally tankier ships. It's not the right thing to do in most situations but meh...it works.

If you're ratting in null and wanna try to make the Vexor work, go for it. If you find that too difficult then you may even want to move up to the BC or BS level. Myrmidon or Dominix is your best choice in either case.

Edit: I forgot to add that you shouldn't be flying either a Myrm or a Domi in hostile Null, though. If you do it's only a matter of time before you lose the ship. If you're not ratting in friendly null, best bet is to fly something half agile and cheap like your Vexor.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-12-27 13:00:06 UTC
algos will work fine, you just need to stick an afterburner on it and orbit close so the rats cannot hit you.
Meyr
Di-Tron Heavy Industries
OnlyFleets.
#16 - 2014-12-27 14:25:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Meyr
Your fit is similar to what I've used to rat in several different regions of nullsec, so you've got the right concept. Like was suggested above, consider blasters until your gun skills improve, and, since your hardeners are kin/therm, go with Gallente drones.

My question is, why do you rat in nullsec? Your fit and low SP really won't allow you to kill high-bounty rats very well, so is there a specific reason you're in a particular area? If you're just after ISK/hour, have you considered moving to lowsec? Any region where you can get 4 jumps deep from a hisec border should work, and the population in those areas tends to be low, particularly if it's not a faction warfare region. You'll still occasionally get a faction rat, but you'll also get the ones who drop the tags pirates trade in for sec status, and those sell VERY well. Since the rats will be mostly cruisers and battlecruisers, you may actually find that your income improves, since you'll be able to mow them down much faster than battleships. Plus, there are lots of NPC stations to doc up in, and several lowsec region have fairly well-stocked and active markets.

Just a few thoughts. As a target to work towards, here's my fit:

[Vexor, Vexor]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

10MN Afterburner II
Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script
Warp Scrambler II
'Langour' Drive Disruptor I

Dual 150mm Railgun II, Antimatter Charge M

Medium Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster II
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump II

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Vespa EC-600 x5

The T2 rigs are the only pricey parts, T1's will work just fine. Use the ECM drones to bail out of a fight you don't want. Also, don't forget to pack longer-ranged ammo, not just antimatter, and don't be afraid of using faction ammo to boost your DPS. You can see by the fit, I'm a big believer in having good tracking, as this will land more shots on target. Option 1, consider swapping out the Tracking Computer for a Target Painter. Option 2, Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer for a bit more short-term staying power.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!
Ezpzy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-12-28 11:09:18 UTC
Meyr wrote:
Your fit is similar to what I've used to rat in several different regions of nullsec, so you've got the right concept. Like was suggested above, consider blasters until your gun skills improve, and, since your hardeners are kin/therm, go with Gallente drones.

My question is, why do you rat in nullsec? Your fit and low SP really won't allow you to kill high-bounty rats very well, so is there a specific reason you're in a particular area? If you're just after ISK/hour, have you considered moving to lowsec? Any region where you can get 4 jumps deep from a hisec border should work, and the population in those areas tends to be low, particularly if it's not a faction warfare region. You'll still occasionally get a faction rat, but you'll also get the ones who drop the tags pirates trade in for sec status, and those sell VERY well. Since the rats will be mostly cruisers and battlecruisers, you may actually find that your income improves, since you'll be able to mow them down much faster than battleships. Plus, there are lots of NPC stations to doc up in, and several lowsec region have fairly well-stocked and active markets.

Just a few thoughts. As a target to work towards, here's my fit:

[Vexor, Vexor]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

10MN Afterburner II
Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script
Warp Scrambler II
'Langour' Drive Disruptor I

Medium Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster II
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump II

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Vespa EC-600 x5

The T2 rigs are the only pricey parts, T1's will work just fine. Use the ECM drones to bail out of a fight you don't want. Also, don't forget to pack longer-ranged ammo, not just antimatter, and don't be afraid of using faction ammo to boost your DPS. You can see by the fit, I'm a big believer in having good tracking, as this will land more shots on target. Option 1, consider swapping out the Tracking Computer for a Target Painter. Option 2, Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer for a bit more short-term staying power.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Thanks for the input! I'm ratting in nullsec just to make some money I can use for pvp. I dont have any mining skills or explo so figured ratting would be my best option to make some money. I tried your fit on EFT and it only shows around 200-250 dps, this is my main problem. My dps is too low to make a good amount of money while ratting. Currently running gnosis with 320ish dps which works kinda ok but still rather low in dps and moves really damn slow.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#18 - 2014-12-28 12:00:33 UTC
Yeah, I'd consider lowsec belt ratting. You are hunting for specific drops (Clone Soldiers for sec tags and Mordu's Legion for ship BPCs) so you aren't so exposed to low 'ticks' due to low DPS. Most of your time is spent looking for them.

Just avoid FW regions or you will meet someone like me pretty quickly. Concentrate on 0.1 and 0.2 systems. Asteroid fields.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Meyr
Di-Tron Heavy Industries
OnlyFleets.
#19 - 2014-12-29 04:00:02 UTC
Yeah, my fit works a bit better when you have a few more years of training. :)

That said, even with your lower DPS, it will work well in lowsec, just adapt it with one EANM and one DDA.
Ezpzy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2014-12-29 04:06:38 UTC
Meyr wrote:
Yeah, my fit works a bit better when you have a few more years of training. :)

That said, even with your lower DPS, it will work well in lowsec, just adapt it with one EANM and one DDA.

I'm more comfortable ratting in nullsec within our alliance territory than going through lowsec outside our territory. Also since I have access to battlecruisers now I was thinking if I should go VNI or myrm, although I dont have sentry drones yet VNI with 5 heavies have more dps than my gnosis atm. I'm also not that far away from battleship like dominix but I don't know if I should rush into that? I heard Dominix are really good, I just dont know if its wise to rush into battleships at this moment.
12Next page