These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Quicksand box?

First post
Author
skandra Kishunuba
Have I Got Moos For You
#21 - 2014-12-26 03:07:33 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
you're welcome. here's another.

http://critical-gaming.com/critical-glossary/#

Also very interesting.

Thanks again.
Vapor Ventrillian
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-12-26 03:14:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Vapor Ventrillian
I think it really a steady and expected erosion

because this is what happens when a lot of people gather together

the few force ccp to ruin it for the many

*tin hat* and there is probably crazies who live for the chance to destroy peoples enjoyment as the have no emotion what so ever and the eve community enrages them

*likes the tin hat look...so shiny*

The Evil Overlord of Scope, self elected as all good overlords should be

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#23 - 2014-12-26 03:15:48 UTC
If you need prerequisites to keep a rookie out of a HAC I feel bad for you son
Jenshae Chiroptera
#24 - 2014-12-26 03:54:48 UTC

This has done so much damage to the gaming industry.

The basic precept that has spread is that you can have social rules in a game and then you have people who break those rules to win and that is fine. Effectively it has encouraged the exploitation of poor game design and weaknesses in the code to player advantage to the point that players come to rely on it and will cry, whine and quit if you fix it.

There are other goals in games.

Example: In the days of Quake I would do things like see the top scoring guy run along a ledge and into a tunnel, drop a rocket at my feet, launch into the air, shoot and kill him then drop to my death. I timed telefrags. I would be on low health spray people in a room with nails and run into the water to electrocute us all.

I did not play to win and I still had as much fun as anyone. In fact, more people had fun because they didn't keep dying to the same guy over and over and they got to see him die sometimes for some vicarious revenge.

I feel a real sandbox gives you the freedom to fail. It gives you the freedom to set your own goals. It gives everyone an equal amount of sand to make sand castles or throw their sand at someone else.

I like the skill requirements. Love them. It is a filter for the impatient, which is often the immature. I hate interceptors and destroyers, one is a free ticket to skip past a control mechanism for little cost and time and the other is far too much damage for little cost and effort.

I like games with Darwin steps.
Anarchy Online had the most simple Darwin step. I would sometimes log on and just stand in the teleport tower of the newbie area. People would come in, bump and bump and bump against the doors of the teleporters. Think that is the end of their free game, sit down and log off.
They never thought to read up on it. Never thought to try something else. Never even asked anyone if there was a way past it.
Good riddance.

Just look at console games; with so many of them you can cut the game right out and just watch the cut scenes. It is complete spoon feeding to people demanding immediate self gratification.

Accomplishment comes from over coming adversity and having to think around a problem.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2014-12-26 04:29:21 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
you're welcome. here's another.

http://critical-gaming.com/critical-glossary/#

^This^

Can we stop whining about Falcons and Ishtars, now?

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2014-12-26 06:32:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:

This has done so much damage to the gaming industry.

The basic precept that has spread is that you can have social rules in a game and then you have people who break those rules to win and that is fine.

false. your social rules are imagined to begin with, and self-imposed.

Quote:
A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.

I like the skill requirements. Love them. It is a filter for the impatient, which is often the immature. I hate interceptors and destroyers, one is a free ticket to skip past a control mechanism for little cost and time and the other is far too much damage for little cost and effort.

removing prerequisites is not a case of removing benefit of skills.

-=you still have the same ship with the same fit and the same skills=-

^interceptors and destroyers being OP is also a separate issue from skills. whether someone has the skills or not, you flat out dislike them.
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#27 - 2014-12-26 07:25:38 UTC
Well CCP removed learning skills and built their bonus into our attributes by default, allowing us to train faster from the beginning than before... effectively reducing skill/time barriers a bit.

They have reduced the requirements for T2 ships.

They have reduced the requirements for T2 guns.

They have allowed new players to more quickly train into battleships or whatever class they are interested in, less skill levels needed in smaller ships now.

There have always been pirate ships which are as good or better than T2 ships and do not require lvl 5 skills to fly.

I guess faction modules can also be looked at as a way around and above T2 modules, though this often gets noobs into trouble. But you know.... Choices. Trade offs. Sand box.

CCP has been steadily reducing skill barriers over time have they not?

As for the UI, the new skin is fine. The UI itself is still BLARGH! as always.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#28 - 2014-12-26 08:25:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
The dev blog with the blurred table obscuring the ship was comedy. The rhetoric about aesthetics was good too.

I'm willing to take your word for it, kinda, not really. The guns were adjusted to match missiles, and as for the T2 skills that matter to me, the ship skills are still lopsided. You don't realize the payoff of each level of the cruiser skill until you have them trained completely. That's just a time wall, and all kinds of incremental motivation lost. I understand T2 skills being limited to upgraded accounts, but the only reason people want to keep the Level V prerequisites is tradition for the sake of tradition.

devs still have "because specialization / specialization is what specialization is" mantra repeating in their minds.

I have all that trained across my characters. keep it sucky if you like, just keep the servers running while I'm subbed.

whatev

Hey CCP

you wouldn't need permadeath characters with 20 mil instant SP if a new player can have that golem in ten days (that you are thinking about enabling with permadeath clones). A 10 day marauder pilot will be practically permadeath.

seems like a lot of hoops to jump through when you could just stop being difficult about skilling.

permadeath clones are about appeasing players who just can't wait, right. new players, even? because it's bad and you know it's bad? Isn't it just better overall to have immortal clones instead, rather than wiping a player's slate and giving them several opportunities to walk away from EVE, each time they permadie?

another way to look at it: permadeath = permaquit. you need SP accumulation as an investment to keep players.

if you think moving from sunk costs to prospective costs is a good idea, pass it to the left.

Iceland is remote enough, but ok. the deal breaker is knowing everyone I work with wants to jeopardize my livelihood.
Dark Opaque Theme
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2014-12-26 11:39:49 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
EVE is dieing because there is no dak opaque theme!!!!111"!!!

Are you sure?
Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#30 - 2014-12-26 11:48:44 UTC
goodpost

I would vote for you if you wouldn't have to go public with your real life ...
... destroying my illusion of you being a sexy redhead with black lipstick.

Too bad.

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Jenshae Chiroptera
#31 - 2014-12-26 13:11:30 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:

false. your social rules are imagined to begin with, and self-imposed.

"A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win."

Effectively it has encouraged the exploitation of poor game design and weaknesses in the code to player advantage to the point that players come to rely on it and will cry, whine and quit if you fix it.

So you want every newbie with a credit card to jump into a Titan? Roll
Delayed gratification makes for more appreciation and spreads people across ships some what instead of having everyone in a Tengu or Ishtar.

Rain6637 wrote:
^interceptors and destroyers being OP is also a separate issue from skills. whether someone has the skills or not, you flat out dislike them.

Nullified T3s are fine. They cost something for that benefit in ISK, time and planning. Sticking to a goal.

Sol Project wrote:
I would vote for you if you wouldn't have to go public with your real life ...
... destroying my illusion of you being a sexy redhead with black lipstick.

Too bad.

Vote for me anyway to spite everyone else and get your web frands to do so also.

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Sol Project
#32 - 2014-12-26 13:17:37 UTC
Frands? Friends?

Friends?????

If you want me to gather people who will vote for you ...
... you better pay the bill for the PR efforts.

Personally, it is more fun to discredit all the others.

Did you know Sabriz hates babies?

Jenshae Chiroptera
#33 - 2014-12-26 13:23:06 UTC
Sol Project wrote:
did you know Sabriz hates babies?

No! Really?! Even baby seals? Cry

Not even once

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#34 - 2014-12-26 13:26:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637

Rain6637 wrote:

So you want every newbie with a credit card to jump into a Titan? Roll
Delayed gratification makes for more appreciation and spreads people across ships some what instead of having everyone in a Tengu or Ishtar.

any player with a credit card can currently buy a character and ISK for a titan. I can't believe you're running for CSM.

wait. yes I can.

Gratification is one of the reasons people play video games. Using delayed gratification for sitting in a ship is bass ackwards and wrong. A lower skilled ship is a weaker ship, and I'm pretty sure this game is fun for the rope we have to hang ourselves. Which is what a weak skilled ship would be. Is CCP in the business of looking out for players and making sure they train solid core skills now? T2 skills don't even make sense, and they're also completely different from each other. You can't even call them a solid foundation of core skills. They're all just separate hurdles of time.

Table of T2 ship skills, by named T2 role and their level V requirements. Explain this one, CSM hopeful. convince me why a time barrier is good, when it's the only reason there's room for some frankenstein permadeath clone mechanic.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#35 - 2014-12-26 13:58:52 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
any player with a credit card can currently buy a character and ISK for a titan. I can't believe you're running for CSM.

wait. yes I can.

Ewww.... who can even think of having a used character as their main one? That is just so ikky! Ugh

Not even once

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2014-12-26 14:00:10 UTC
ggodhsup
relocation LLC.
#37 - 2014-12-26 14:10:46 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
wonderful communication. thank you.

so wait, you want to grant new players high end content in less than a month? im glad you make such a good argument.

its ok rain, we are all glad you derailed the OP's thread. to the OP, what is the problem? you dont like that roles ship hull?

its tiring seeing the forums filled with complainers. play a different game FFS.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#38 - 2014-12-26 14:12:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
ggodhsup wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:

so wait, you want to grant new players high end content in less than a month? im glad you make such a good argument.

its ok rain, we are all glad you derailed the OP's thread. to the OP, what is the problem? you dont like that roles ship hull?

its tiring seeing the forums filled with complainers. play a different game FFS.

I may have gotten sidetracked, but yes. permadeath clones with 20 mil SP, apparently I'm not the only one who wants to fast track new players into high SP ships.

for what it's worth, EVE is a hilarious example of players and devs subscribing to bad game design and fallacies... mostly involving the idea of "core" gameplay. I could go play other fun games, but that would be a cop out. This is just too good a case study to leave.

The core gameplay fallacy, involving space ships shooting each other. It's directly connected to the problem of why... EVE can't break the ceiling of subscription numbers, at 1/10th, 1/20th, 1/50th of other MMOs.

from Sirlin game balance handout, this graphic of the core gameplay fallacy.

The larger grey area is all the players CCP doesn't have playing EVE, due to catering to the rabblers and monument shooters, and players who think all this bad game design is worthwhile.

Now that I've explained it simply, all I can hope is that it sinks in for more people. And this is, in fact, relevant to OP.
Sol Project
#39 - 2014-12-26 14:29:39 UTC
Sol Project wrote:
did you know Sabriz hates babies?

No! Really?! Even baby seals? Cry

No idea but I doubt he cares about them.

Not only was he posting a ****** video that made EVE look bad ...
... he said babies cry for no good reason, which is not only plain wrong ...
... but also shows what we can think of him as a human being.

skandra Kishunuba
Have I Got Moos For You
#40 - 2014-12-26 15:25:18 UTC
ggodhsup wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:

I have a viewpoint, granted. My viewpoint is that freedom of choice is a good thing.

I'm also interested in listening to viewpoints of other people, which is why I phrased the original post as a question, not an outright statement of fact.

I'm willing to listen to other people's opinions, consider them and accept the possibility that my viewpoint might be wrong after considering them.

That seems reasonable to me.

But then again I might be mistaken.