These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

It's nearly the anniversary of the Empress's historic announcement

Author
Louella Dougans
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#1 - 2014-12-23 20:12:50 UTC
Well, day after tomorrow, anyway.

The historic announcement, when the Empress announced that the end of the Age of slavery was approaching.

Super !

I am sure the Empress will make more amazing announcements soon !

Be a Space Nun, it is fun. \o/

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#2 - 2014-12-24 07:17:34 UTC
I won't be holding my breath.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#3 - 2014-12-24 07:18:34 UTC
What the Empress giveth, the Empress taketh away. I am expecting a 'taketh away' announcement this time around.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#4 - 2014-12-24 07:26:33 UTC
Honestly she didn't really give anything last time around. She dumped millions of brainwashed souls (with no ties to the Matari or the Republic) that she no longer had any use for. It was a win/win for her; she scored PR points with the rest of the cluster by appearing progressive while dumping millions of unwanted people onto an already overburdened Republic.

It was a shrewd political and PR move but ultimately merely a coldly calculated bit of political theatre.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#5 - 2014-12-24 07:40:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Anabella Rella wrote:
Honestly she didn't really give anything last time around. She dumped millions of brainwashed souls (with no ties to the Matari or the Republic) that she no longer had any use for. It was a win/win for her; she scored PR points with the rest of the cluster by appearing progressive while dumping millions of unwanted people onto an already overburdened Republic.

It was a shrewd political and PR move but ultimately merely a coldly calculated bit of political theatre.

Can't expect anything less from the head honcho of the Amarr Empire, really.

We still have those 'poor souls' flopping around outside the Egivand Enclave, last I hear. Same batch. Same rhetoric. Difference is they actually build something semi-permanent this time around. Some kind of shrine or a temple. Quite clear they have no intention of leaving. I'm expecting a call from the Clan Elder himself to help clear them out one of these days, probably with the threat of orbital bombardment via a Thrasher or something considering that the Enclave doesn't need an extra pair of gun-totting hands.

Let's be honest. With them and the noise they are making and all that Vitoc addiction, they are bound to attract unwanted attention. 'Angels' wannabes are already bad enough, and we don't need the local government to get involved too.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#6 - 2014-12-24 07:54:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
So those released by Her Imperial Majesty are "brainwashed and unwanted souls dropped onto an already overburdened Republic"...

And yet you all still want to invade the Empire to "rescue" and bring more of these "brainwashed and unwanted souls" into the Republic?

As usual, the claims of caring for the lives of slaves are purely so that you can feel morally good about yourselves, as you don't seem to actually want the people nor care about their well-being.

Pick one. Either you want to help the slaves or you don't want to. Don't claim to want to help the slaves and then abandon us as soon as the chains are off because you can't stand the thought of being associated with people who don't share your culture.

Her Imperial Majesty gave you what you said you wanted. If that's not what you actually wanted, then stop asking for it.

And by the way? She never 'dropped' anyone onto the Republic. The Emancipation Decree didn't come with a mandate to move to the Republic. That was a choice made by the former slaves. Choice, that thing you claim you wanted them to have.
Karynn Denton
Untitled Goose Corp
#7 - 2014-12-24 08:38:19 UTC
Anabella Rella wrote:

And yet, your own words from another thread...

Anabella Rella wrote:
They were Minmatar citizens before your ancestors so brutally invaded our space and enslaved them.

Culturally they're more akin to you slavers now but, let's not forget where they hailed from originally. Biologically they're Matari and therefore, our people.

Republicans Roll

Karynn Denton

Caravan Master

Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#8 - 2014-12-24 09:09:33 UTC
One thing is clear: The Republic does not have the economic muscle nor infrastructure to take in even more slaves. More has to be done on that front before any further emancipations can be attempted.

Anja Suorsa
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-12-24 09:36:52 UTC
So, what is it exactly the Matari want from Amarr if it's not the return of their people?
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#10 - 2014-12-24 10:50:22 UTC
Most Matari I've spoken to about the topic have suggested they would content with the Matari in the Empire continuing to work and live within it. They just want them to be free while doing so.
Spyra Gryra
Space Men
#11 - 2014-12-24 11:48:15 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Most Matari I've spoken to about the topic have suggested they would content with the Matari in the Empire continuing to work and live within it. They just want them to be free while doing so.

The opinions of a few Matari is not representative of their entire culture.

Why don't you conduct a Republic wide survey and get back to us.
Karynn Denton
Untitled Goose Corp
#12 - 2014-12-24 12:09:02 UTC
Spyra Gryra wrote:

The Republic does not represent the Matari either. In fact, it only represents a minority.
Thankfully.

Karynn Denton

Caravan Master

Spyra Gryra
Space Men
#13 - 2014-12-24 12:15:57 UTC
Karynn Denton wrote:
Spyra Gryra wrote:

The Republic does not represent the Matari either. In fact, it only represents a minority.
Thankfully.

Sure, but I thought we were talking about the Republicans attitude to the emancipation decree?
Karynn Denton
Untitled Goose Corp
#14 - 2014-12-24 12:40:16 UTC
Spyra Gryra wrote:
Karynn Denton wrote:
Spyra Gryra wrote:

Thankfully.

Sure, but I thought we were talking about the Republicans attitude to the emancipation decree?

Yourself and Ms Ikiryo were referring to Matari opinions in your posts.

And besides, dealing with emancipated refugees is much more that a Republican issue. There are still Starkmanir clogging up outposts and stations in the Wildlands, six years after we propped up the Elder Fleet's raids. That was not a burden my people asked for, yet we paid the highest blood price when our troops were stranded on Mekhios, may they rest with their Ancestors.
I have yet to see any benefit of saving that wretched tribe.

If the Republic's capacity to accomodate released slaves becomes stretched, will they expect the Caravans to take them as well?

Karynn Denton

Caravan Master

Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#15 - 2014-12-24 13:06:09 UTC
"Her Imperial Majesty gave you what you said you wanted. If that's not what you actually wanted, then stop asking for it."

Not really, no. I don't particularly care whether they want to stay in the Empire or go live elsewhere, it's up to the freed, but no one ever asked for the indoctrinated to be sent as zealous missionaries to do as much damage as they could. It was a shrewd move on her part, no doubt about that but there's no way even you can deny it was a blatant act of hostility.

Especially given that it's quite clear it will never be extended to those who both want and need freedom from chains.
Derek Quaid
Discreet Bounties
#16 - 2014-12-24 13:36:44 UTC
"We come for our people! ...except the ones you're actually willing to let go."

CEO, Discreet Bounties In-game Channel: Discreet Bounties

Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#17 - 2014-12-24 13:39:26 UTC
Anja Suorsa wrote:
So, what is it exactly the Matari want from Amarr if it's not the return of their people?

My teacher was telling me, that the true desire of any slave is not to stop being a slave, but rather to become master and have their own slaves.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#18 - 2014-12-24 13:41:51 UTC
Cute, but not quite. The end of slavery is the goal and my people are certainly the priority for me in this regard. However, pretending that the blatant act of hostility was anything but is rather dishonest or at the very least the bleating of a dullard. Nuance, ladies and gentlemen. It's a thing.
Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#19 - 2014-12-24 13:47:06 UTC
On other hand, I would like to point out, that slavery, while it remains withing border of the Empire, is business of Amarr and Amarr only.

Those minmatar, who fight against slavery not in their territory or in disputed territories, but want to fight slavery inside Amarr Empire without being Amarr citizens...

ARE SIMPLE IDIOTS.

Those people are not to be talked with, but rather exterminated on contact.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Ariel Marquette
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2014-12-24 14:41:09 UTC
Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
Nuance, ladies and gentlemen. It's a thing.

It seems to be a thing by which hypocrites ignore the plain reality in order to justify their own violent agenda.

Missing the forest for the trees, ladies and gentlemen. It's a thing.
123Next pageLast page