These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

About patriotism and hope : on the notoriety of Diana Kim

Author
Haria Haritimado
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#1 - 2014-12-23 14:22:49 UTC
A flashy studio and a political talk show fills the gap between morning news break and the midday programme. Broadcasting in Caldari State and beyond. Haria Haritimado is one of several invited guests this day and representing ‘the capsuleers’.

“Welcome back to the New Caldari Prime Daily. We’re discussing ‘Patriotism and Hope’ this morning and our next guest is Ms. Haria Haritimado, a capsuleer from the Science & Trade Institute.

“Ms. Haritimado, we’ve heard so far, that the current debates on intergalactic politics, as discussed within the community of capsuleers, are completely aloof and detached from any major discourses going on on planetary, regional, or local levels. Immortal capsuleers and their deeds and views as interstelar agents shape the future, it is said! But do they shape anything more than their own affairs?”

“Well, as a ‘young’ capsuleer I still share the views from within and without the capsuleer community, I think. And they are certainly involved in matters which effect many citizens of different interstelar political bodies. So I don’t think they’re just living in their own bubble of space and time. But I do think that the capsuleer community and it’s political debate got detached from any fundamental experiences of culture and history.”

“But cultural identity as well as differences and the definition of history seems to play an important role, though.”

“Yes. But in my oppinion, those topics are often discussed without any reference to any real experience of what culture and history really is and means – especially of our neighbors or so called adversaries. The capsuleer debates seem to hover above all those innumerable tiny planets, moons, stations, and local communities. They’re talking about them, but not necessarily with them. Which is odd, because one lifetime may not be enough to get a grasp on what really defines our interstellar neighbors’ life world. But capsuleers do have the potential to be nearly immortal agents and ambassadors with a transgenerational view on the coexistance of nations.”

“So, capsuleers are narrow minded?”

“That’s a hard word. I find most of them quiet versatile and intelligent. But as a capsuleer you could either be engaged in diplomacy, understanding, and tolerance, or you narrow the scope and act as a mere weapon or tool for resentmenents. From my perspective, political debates among capsuleers mostly stick to the latter kind. My first impression is, Capsuleers engage each other with seemingly undisputable positions. They tend to confront ideas and values which appear universal to them. I assume that this is a wrong attitude, caused by a presupposed bigger relevance. Capsuleers discuss matters which affect trillions! So matters appear more important and seem undisputable! You found this attitude recently in debates on Amarr and Minmatar, crusaders, or among Caldari citizens. But this is a deceiving attitude, because the capsuleers’ clash of positions and values is just the same as within the smallest local community possible. The outcome of debates may be of uttermost relevance to many, but to think this would amplify the power and relevance of your argument in the beginning, is a wrong conclusion.”

“So you support the idea of tolerance and understanding between rival factions, which is normally labeled a liberal point of view or humanist attitude.”

“You could say so, though I’m not thinking of myself as a politician of some sort. It is more of an intimate, personal insight. Every great nation of New Eden, and maybe some alien civilizations as well, share the innermost understanding for ‘the other person’. They understand, that self expression, history and the orientation toward a fullfilling future is universal and if I look at the other, I’m basically looking at someone like me. There are differences, but everyone of us is able to understand the wish for appreciation of one’s very self and the welfare of community. I strongly believe that this understanding is fundamental. Especially for capsuleers, since they constantly cross horizons today and reach beyond what they knew yesterday.”

“From what you say, capsuleers should no longer be agents of their nation, faction, or society they come from. Do you think they should be some kind of universal agents of peace, reaching hands against all odds?”
Haria Haritimado
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#2 - 2014-12-23 14:23:18 UTC
“He, you said that. – Capsuleers have the potential to severely escalate any ongoing conflict between nations or factions. They could stand back from this, but I’m too much of a realist to suggest this an option at hand. Anyway, they could stop alienating and demonizing their neighbors. The word alien has a real meaning and a deeper sense. A far more scaring face than those of our neighbors. There is an intelligence out there in deep space and the darkness between the stars, which does not share this universal empathy I just mentioned. This is the real border we capsuleers explore. This is the outer frontier for all our societies, and we are the watchtowers. I think our people expect us to focus on this, rather than fueling conflicts among our societies.”

“You’re refering to such unimaginable stories about shattered worlds from the past? Or the Sleeper threat?”

“Just words, unfitted to describe. The things you don’t find words for is what really scares. And capsuleers are the ones who have the potential to protect our people from them.”

“Em, ah, alright. Em… so, what would you advise?”

“Well, I’m not in the position to advise anyone. I’m just a newborn to this strange elevated caste which our ancestors once created from technological visions. But I observe capsuleers struggling for what they think makes up their innermost convictions. And there is a climate of either hiding behind them, or carrying them as a sharpened spear, pointed toward every dissenter. I assume that we should either step forward out of the shadows of our convictions, or lower the spear. We should learn more about what unites us and see behind resentments. Which would also imply the need to let go of certain convictions which have become convenient and unquestioned over time.”

“And for that reason you longed for a deeper understanding of a very controversial capsuleer among the Caldari, Strike Commander Diana Kim. Quiet a daring undertaking, for which you’ve already been criticised by the Science & Trade Institute among others.”

“I personally had to come to terms with Diana Kim for several reasons. Anyway, she’s an example for a person, who hides behind her convictions, and carry them as a sharpened spear at the same time. And as a capsuleer, I realized, I’m in the position and maybe have the obligation to criticise. Starting anywhere else except the State in which I was bred would’ve appeared very questionalbe.”

“Alright. Before we have a closer look at some parts of the recorded interview, we’re having a short break and open a public channel for the audience. Contributions and comments welcome. We’ll be back in a minute!”
Wendrika Hydreiga
#3 - 2014-12-23 14:37:53 UTC
Leave Miss Kim alone!
Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#4 - 2014-12-23 14:59:37 UTC
I'm betting 20isk Kim's response is going to be longer than what is directly written about her....

*grabs popcorn, throws a kernel in the air, misses mouth*
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#5 - 2014-12-23 15:32:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Pieter Tuulinen
I'll be interested to see exactly where this ends up going. I have some sympathies as I remember when Diana Kim was held up as the epitome of the Patriot bloc capsuleers and I am often sad to see how far she has fallen.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Kalaratiri
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#6 - 2014-12-23 15:45:27 UTC
Are we still doing this? I thought we'd done this.

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.

This is possibly one of the worst threads in the history of these forums.  - CCP Falcon

I don't remember when last time you said something that wasn't either dumb or absurd. - Diana Kim

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2014-12-23 16:48:40 UTC
Wendrika Hydreiga wrote:
Leave Miss Kim alone!

So she would also leave us alone!

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#8 - 2014-12-23 17:01:40 UTC
It was a good read untill you had to bring up Kimmy... This coulda' gone places, Kid.

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#9 - 2014-12-23 18:53:03 UTC
Claudia Osyn wrote:
It was a good read untill you had to bring up Kimmy... This coulda' gone places, Kid.

Let's not rush to judgement. Just because Diana Kim herself has not ventured off-message in two years, that doesn't mean we can't have an interesting conversation about topics including her.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#10 - 2014-12-23 19:01:10 UTC
Can someone be gracious enough to give me an abridged version of what this is all about?

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#11 - 2014-12-23 19:11:35 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
that doesn't mean we can't have an interesting conversation about topics including her.

To discuss a person is to summon them. To discuss the person in question is to summon them. To summon the person in question is to immediately torpedo any attempt at an interesting conversation on any topic, especially any topics including that person.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Louella Dougans
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#12 - 2014-12-23 20:15:08 UTC
And this is why the IGS must be destroyed.

Be a Space Nun, it is fun. \o/

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#13 - 2014-12-23 21:46:43 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
that doesn't mean we can't have an interesting conversation about topics including her.

To discuss a person is to summon them. To discuss the person in question is to summon them. To summon the person in question is to immediately torpedo any attempt at an interesting conversation on any topic, especially any topics including that person.

So why are we still discussing this person?

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#14 - 2014-12-23 21:51:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Claudia Osyn
Erica Dusette wrote:
Can someone be gracious enough to give me an abridged version of what this is all about?

Abridged? It has to do with the precieved role Capusleers could play in the grand scheme of intersteller politics, from the point of view of a recently graduated pilot. And something about Kimmy..... I think.

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#15 - 2014-12-23 22:07:06 UTC
Claudia Osyn wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

Abriged? It has to do with the precieved role Capusleers could play in the grand scheme of intersteller politics, from the point of view of a recently graduated pilot. And something about Kimmy..... I think.

Much appreciated.

So, politics politics with a little anti-Kim. I guess my choice to not bother reading it was a wise one.

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#16 - 2014-12-23 22:42:53 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:
Claudia Osyn wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

Abriged? It has to do with the precieved role Capusleers could play in the grand scheme of intersteller politics, from the point of view of a recently graduated pilot. And something about Kimmy..... I think.

Much appreciated.

So, politics politics with a little anti-Kim. I guess my choice to not bother reading it was a wise one.

I wouldn't say anti-Kim, more like "example of one political extreme, Kim".

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#17 - 2014-12-23 23:09:24 UTC
Claudia Osyn wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:
Claudia Osyn wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

Much appreciated.

I wouldn't say anti-Kim, more like "example of one political extreme, Kim".

Fair enough. Still not seeing a reason to read it though.

I'll stick with my Galactic Spam Daily I think. Goes down easier with breakfast than politics.

Jukko Riis
Doomheim
#18 - 2014-12-23 23:12:25 UTC
Extremism in any form can be dangerous, and unwise.

Dani Dusette
Division 13
#19 - 2014-12-24 00:23:35 UTC
Jukko Riis wrote:
Extremism in any form can be dangerous, and unwise.

Same can be said for boarding your capsule, jumping a certain gate, or entering almost any wormhole.

Extremism is highly subjective, sir.

dαní ㅤㅤ

σиlу ιи dαякиєѕѕ cαи уσυ ѕєє тнє ѕтαяѕ

ISD Ezwal: "Might I inform you that I am as real as it gets?"

Havohej
Cretus Incendium
Electus Matari
#20 - 2014-12-24 00:44:28 UTC
Louella Dougans wrote:
And this is why the IGS must be destroyed.

I've been trying. I'm only one infomorph.

Strike us like matches, 'cause everyone deserves the flames.

OOC Forums @ Backstage

123Next pageLast page