These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

How exactly are we to know if we can get our stuff frm a customs offic

First post
Author
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#21 - 2014-12-22 20:04:45 UTC
One more comment: new players that feel in some way deterred to mess with PI because of this: don't buy into the griefing message. The whole point of these POCOs is for people to wage corporate war over, to insure low taxes for their allies and high taxes for their enemies. This system works and is one of the keystones of how you can play the game. Get leverage first, then enter diplomacy and make deals with other entities. Remember those old games like Masters of Orion that you could win purely by economical or diplomatical means? Now imagine each race being an actual group of players, owning said customs.
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#22 - 2014-12-22 21:24:10 UTC
It's not a bug. it happened to me.

The tax was 7% with my skills, but when I came to collect it from the poco I couldn't as my standings were not sufficient.

It seems to happen a lot in HS, whether it should is a different matter.

Maybe there needs to be a warning before launch stating that you can't retrieve your goods from the customs office....

I just used the command center then removed it.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#23 - 2014-12-22 21:50:07 UTC
...or maybe you are supposed to reasearch the owning party to see whether your investment with them is a good idea? This is an MMO, and not too long ago hisec's COs have gained the exact same mechanics as everywhere else in the game, with a NPC tax on top. As a lowsec player I can tell you owners wil need at least enough deterrence (read: capable PVPers) in order to claim any assets long-term. And yes, this is as it should be. Significant developer action was deliberately taken to make this happen when the Rubicon expansion turned hisec COs into claimable assets.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#24 - 2014-12-22 21:52:47 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Drago Shouna wrote:

The tax was 7% with my skills, but when I came to collect it from the poco I couldn't as my standings were not sufficient.

It seems to happen a lot in HS, whether it should is a different matter.

Maybe there needs to be a warning before launch stating that you can't retrieve your goods from the customs office....

I just used the command center then removed it.

Yeah...more handholding, that's what we need.

*insert sarcasm emoji here*

Let's see:

Opens google

Search for: EVE Online Custom Office

2nd link - Wow, the official Dev Blog about high-sec PoCo's and how they work...including the line:

CCP SoniClover in the Dev Blog wrote:
POCOs in hi sec will give the owner the exact same controls as POCOs in low sec – the owner can set the tax rate as he wants and can have different tax rates based on standings. This includes denying access.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#25 - 2014-12-22 21:56:08 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Drago Shouna wrote:

It seems to happen a lot in HS, whether it should is a different matter..
There are two different mechanics at work here, if the customs office you tried to use is owned by a player corporation. In other words, is a Player Owned Customs Office (hence the name)
If said POCO is situated in high sec, you pay a 10% NPC export and 5 % NPC import tax. These tax rates can be reduced by the skill Customs Code Expertise by 10% per level of the skill. In your case I gather your skill level was 3, which accounts for the 7% tax you had to pay.
However, and that is the second thing you have to take into consideration, the player corporation owning the POCO probably had set the access levels to 'access denied' for everyone with neutral or lower standing. So if you were not on good standing with them, you were (are) effectively barred from using their POCO.

My advice would be to contact the owning corporation and negotiate access. POCO access can be configured to be allowed on a personal to corporation standing, so you can negotiate personal access even if you are in an NPC corporation.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2014-12-22 23:15:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
ISD Ezwal wrote:

However, and that is the second thing you have to take into consideration, the player corporation owning the POCO probably had set the access levels to 'access denied' for everyone with neutral or lower standing. So if you were not on good standing with them, you were (are) effectively barred from using their POCO.

My advice would be to contact the owning corporation and negotiate access. POCO access can be configured to be allowed on a personal to corporation standing, so you can negotiate personal access even if you are in an NPC corporation.

Wow .. never knew about that functionality or ever came across it. (Probably because my PI are in low sec with tax rates between 2% and 5 % because the corps owning the POCO actually want business).

It does seem wrong if you are "access denied" you can upload and pay tax but not access the uploaded goods. i can see why he is a bit dissed.

SO ... in terms of the OP original question, how can he tell that he is "access denied" when first searching planets before wasting time and ISK building on the planet ?
Sugar Smacks
State War Academy
Caldari State
#27 - 2014-12-22 23:30:20 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
ISD Ezwal wrote:

Wow .. never knew about that functionality or ever came across it. (Probably because my PI are in low sec with tax rates between 2% and 5 % because the corps owning the POCO actually want business).

It does seem wrong if you are "access denied" you can upload and pay tax but not access the uploaded goods. i can see why he is a bit dissed.

SO ... in terms of the OP original question, how can he tell that he is "access denied" when first searching planets before wasting time and ISK building on the planet ?

Thank you for getting it.
Orlacc
#28 - 2014-12-23 04:06:35 UTC
For the hell of it I flew around to some Customs Offices and though all had the tax rate in Show Info, nothing about standings. FFS if you don't meet standings requirement, it should say so or at the very least not tax you.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2014-12-23 04:24:19 UTC
Orlacc wrote:
For the hell of it I flew around to some Customs Offices and though all had the tax rate in Show Info, nothing about standings. FFS if you don't meet standings requirement, it should say so or at the very least not tax you.

Agreed. OP, I suggest you file a ticket. It's probably an oversight in the implementation of the new high sec POCOs.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#30 - 2014-12-23 10:00:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Pak Narhoo
Cara Forelli wrote:
Orlacc wrote:

Agreed. OP, I suggest you file a ticket. It's probably an oversight in the implementation of the new high sec POCOs.

Yep, file a petition under "Planetary Interactions & Custom Offices".

Is really weird that you do have access to put your PI *in* the office but not get it *out*.
If access is restricted it should work both ways.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#31 - 2014-12-23 12:00:44 UTC
My spew on PI:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5190572#post5190572

Most new PI users confuse using a Customs Offices (transfers via a Launchpad) and orbital launches (transfer off-planet via the Command Center). Customs offices can be used to import and export large amounts, where orbital launches can only export small amounts.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-12-23 12:16:29 UTC
Yeah.

Thinking about it.

It is indeed very weird that you can see the tax rate but not if you are locked out of using it.

And then that you can actually export to the custom office in the first place if you are locked out.

So indeed, I would bring this up to CCP so they know about it and might look into it.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Previous page12