These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Skyrim still alive.

Author
Oxylan
QRDELESH - Mutual Admiration Society
#1 - 2014-12-21 16:14:39 UTC
44,816 inside game on steam right now, wired and just a old single player game :) i have no idea why i post about this, maybe because just want that EvE as online become more powerfull and popular.

The community on this game is awesome, this show how game are fun when people got acces to make it like they want :)

If it bleed we can kill it.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#2 - 2014-12-21 17:09:09 UTC
Oxylan wrote:
44,816 inside game on steam right now, wired and just a old single player game :) i have no idea why i post about this, maybe because just want that EvE as online become more powerfull and popular.

The community on this game is awesome, this show how game are fun when people got acces to make it like they want :)

people still rave about morrowind. i'm not surprised skyrim has so many active players. i play it myself frequently. it's awesome.
Rhatar Khurin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-12-21 17:14:50 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Oxylan wrote:

people still rave about morrowind. i'm not surprised skyrim has so many active players. i play it myself frequently. it's awesome.

Morrowind and Oblivion are currently in the process of having a complete facelift with modern graphics and it is looking sweet!
Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-12-21 19:30:19 UTC
I've played it to death. 300+ hours on xbox and 400+ hours (just checked) on pc with some modding going on.

Seriously the best price to hours played ratio ever.

I am now eagerly awaiting Fallout 4 (Fallout 3 was my favourite prior to Skyrim).
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-12-21 22:23:36 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Oxylan wrote:

I am still playing Oblivion, no kidding.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Zeko Rena
ENCOM Industries
#6 - 2014-12-21 22:50:48 UTC
Morrowind, so many fond memories
Ralph King-Griffin
The Romi Inquisition
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#7 - 2014-12-21 23:25:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
the only reason im not currently playing skyrim is because im currently trying to unfuck the mod that's broken it,
problem is theres 96 active mods running

hers some recent screen shots

My toon Orla

"minor" cultural misunderstanding between myself and the Kadjit traders outside riften Straight

OHMYGODWTFBBQ

i have no idea where the **** this guy came from I dont remember installing him Shocked but he scared the **** out of me.
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-12-22 01:02:46 UTC
oblivion <3 ESO online is uhm bullshit. I skip that one waiting for ESO 6 if online bullshit is not counting.
Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#9 - 2014-12-22 09:39:14 UTC
One does not simply stop playing, elder scrolls or fallout games.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-12-22 10:25:14 UTC
Daggerfall. Pirate

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Laken Starr
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-12-22 12:05:37 UTC
While I enjoyed Skyrim as much as the next person, it never ceases to amaze me that the game managed to make dragons boring.
Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#12 - 2014-12-22 12:42:54 UTC
Never heard of it.

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#13 - 2014-12-22 13:34:04 UTC
I must admit I never could understand the fascination of Skyrim.

In truth, a lot of elements are broken or at the very least do not really fit:
The Quests: The main quest is meh at best, first it is a standard run-of-the-mill save the world thing. Second, this hurry-before-Alduin-kills-us-all/collect-10-butterfly-wings-for-me dichotomy is simply stupid.
The Guild quests are better but still no jaw dropper, the side quests are on the same level as EvEs´ missions, the dungeons - be it Nordic or Dwarven - are basically just long winding tubes with the inevitable shortcut at the end back to the start; also, they are absolutely generic and have no history whatsoever. There are some VERY nice exceptions for all of the above, though, but they are spread far and wide.
Only the Deadric quests generally tend to offer a good story, imo.
The Add-Ons also have interesting stories, I must admit here (also back into Soltsheim and I can´t shake the feeling the Developers used that scenario because they knew exactly how awesome Morrowind was and that this was a solid foundation to build upon. Need I mention that even the Skyrim theme song had the Morrowind theme incorporated?).

The Alchemy system: Useless at best, one really only needs healing potions for the whole game which are literally found everywhere.

The People: First, I probably killed several times more bandits than people living in all towns (towns, ha ha, ten or so buildings now make a town, Balmora from good ole Morrowind is bigger than all the Skyrim towns together!)
Second basically no dept for any NPCs anywhere.
Third: They apparently used a grand total of 5 different voices for the NPCs, (especially that russian chick voice is really noticable). Hell, even the lines are the same: "Some may call this junk, me I call them treasures.", OMG, every single general trader!

Other ridiculous stuff like quickly annoying permanent Dragon attacks, a leveling system that basically takes away any surprises or challenges from the game, how ridiculous it is to become faction-master after a couple of missions (and possible without any faction-relevant skills), etc.

Don´t get me wrong, I myself like to play Skyrim, and I realize very well an open world must have some special mechanics that a linear game can do without, but there is a certain point where an interesting RPG basically turns into grinding (If anyone here remembers Gothic 1 and 2, that is how you do an open world game without all this hand-holding!).

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#14 - 2014-12-22 13:36:40 UTC
I bought Skyrim a month after it was released and still haven't installed it yet. Oops.

I loved Morrowind, but found Oblivion to be generic and boring so I didn't get very far with it.

TESO was a segmented level-locked world and a questfest. Not at all what I was hoping for.
Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-12-22 13:42:41 UTC
Nerath Naaris wrote:
I must admit I never could understand the fascination of Skyrim.

In truth, a lot of elements are broken or at the very least do not really fit:
The Quests: The main quest is meh at best, first it is a standard run-of-the-mill save the world thing. Second, this hurry-before-Alduin-kills-us-all/collect-10-butterfly-wings-for-me dichotomy is simply stupid.
The Guild quests are better but still no jaw dropper, the side quests are on the same level as EvEs´ missions, the dungeons - be it Nordic or Dwarven - are basically just long winding tubes with the inevitable shortcut at the end back to the start; also, they are absolutely generic and have no history whatsoever. There are some VERY nice exceptions for all of the above, though, but they are spread far and wide.
Only the Deadric quests generally tend to offer a good story, imo.
The Add-Ons also have interesting stories, I must admit here (also back into Soltsheim and I can´t shake the feeling the Developers used that scenario because they knew exactly how awesome Morrowind was and that this was a solid foundation to build upon. Need I mention that even the Skyrim theme song had the Morrowind theme incorporated?).

The Alchemy system: Useless at best, one really only needs healing potions for the whole game which are literally found everywhere.

The People: First, I probably killed several times more bandits than people living in all towns (towns, ha ha, ten or so buildings now make a town, Balmora from good ole Morrowind is bigger than all the Skyrim towns together!)
Second basically no dept for any NPCs anywhere.
Third: They apparently used a grand total of 5 different voices for the NPCs, (especially that russian chick voice is really noticable). Hell, even the lines are the same: "Some may call this junk, me I call them treasures.", OMG, every single general trader!

Other ridiculous stuff like quickly annoying permanent Dragon attacks, a leveling system that basically takes away any surprises or challenges from the game, how ridiculous it is to become faction-master after a couple of missions (and possible without any faction-relevant skills), etc.

Don´t get me wrong, I myself like to play Skyrim, and I realize very well an open world must have some special mechanics that a linear game can do without, but there is a certain point where an interesting RPG basically turns into grinding (If anyone here remembers Gothic 1 and 2, that is how you do an open world game without all this hand-holding!).

And although I do love the game I will agree with all criticisms mentioned above, so +1.

The game is huge and has to cut corners at a lot of turns. I can only imagine what it would be like if Bethesda really went balls to the wall with this.
Falken Falcon
#16 - 2014-12-22 13:47:37 UTC
Rhatar Khurin wrote:
Morrowind and Oblivion are currently in the process of having a complete facelift with modern graphics and it is looking sweet!
Oh Oblivion, i would love to play it all over again

And i will walk your streets again for the past glory.
And i will rampage in all your holds, me criminal scum.

Aye, Sea Turtles

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-12-22 13:57:40 UTC
I still have the Morrowind GOTY edition lying around (including Bloodmoon and Tribunal, which I admittingly never played)...

Wot do?
Jade Blackwind
#18 - 2014-12-22 14:03:07 UTC
Skyrim, as a sandbox RPG, is totally awesome.

Luckily there are easy mods that allow to disable the cheesy world-saving main story and just start in a town of your choice.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#19 - 2014-12-22 14:04:03 UTC
Legit criticisms of the game above...straight out of the box anyway. However, with mods I've played a hundred different ways under a hundred different scenarios. All the issues listed above can be fixed with a few clicks and a little knowledge of file structure. Modding gives Bethesda games their lifespans.
Blue Binary
Polychoron
#20 - 2014-12-22 20:40:38 UTC
A great series. Daggerfall broke me in. Love the freedom to explore with a curiosity for everything you come across.

Skyrim's graphics (with mods added) makes you just stand and admire its beauty and the immersion can really draw you in.

Finished it about a year ago and have been waiting for the DLC to drop in price. The Steam Christmas sale has just presented just such an opportunity for under £7.
123Next page