These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Crucible Mac Crash Thread

First post
Author
Lumirinne
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#81 - 2011-12-17 13:37:36 UTC
eh..?

I cannot believe CCP did nothing about this? All the while official web page has a downloadable MAC Client

I want a statement that CCP keeps supporting MAC and I want it before the coming seasonal holidays
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#82 - 2011-12-17 14:12:11 UTC
Lumirinne wrote:
eh..?

I cannot believe CCP did nothing about this? All the while official web page has a downloadable MAC Client

I want a statement that CCP keeps supporting MAC and I want it before the coming seasonal holidays

Or what?

CCP Devs should all be on a well earned vacation right about now, so good luck getting it.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon, or I'll be crying at trying to get Wine working again.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Seraphina Oriana
Doomheim
#83 - 2011-12-17 15:20:00 UTC
Freezing lots here for me too - EVE is unplayable. I could be sitting in station in windowed mode looking out fits on Battleclinic or in Pyfa and when I go back to EVE it's froze.

Got to force quit to get out of EVE. :(
Lumirinne
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2011-12-17 15:52:01 UTC
Yeah. Leave. Theres so many great new games out there.

Btw what do you mean well earned when I cannot even play the hole thing?
Cirage
Ventus
#85 - 2011-12-17 16:37:11 UTC
It crashes frequently. I have failed to see a pattern, other then it happens when I'm in space, not in station. Sometimes I can play for hours and sometimes it crashes within 5 minutes after last crash and variations in between.
iMac
Model identifier: iMac7,1
Processor name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed: 2,8 GHz
Processors: 1
Cores: 2
L2-cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM-version: IM71.007A.B03
Activity; Flying in space
No workaround

I just got this too (see below), before it has just died ("poof" as somebody wrote earlier):

"Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00403e3a
at address 0x006d2de8
Do you wish to debug it ?"

(it died after I pressed "yes")
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#86 - 2011-12-17 18:13:43 UTC
Lumirinne wrote:
Yeah. Leave. Theres so many great new games out there.

Btw what do you mean well earned when I cannot even play the hole thing?

Patch came out. Few weeks ago. Maybe you heard? For months before that, the Devs had been taking the brunt of the heat for Hillmar's decisions. So they could probably use a break about now.

Back on topic.
Oddly enough, the client I run for my empire toon has yet to have *any* problems. Only the one I use for my main has frozen.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Cirage
Ventus
#87 - 2011-12-17 18:27:47 UTC
Lumirinne wrote:

Oddly enough, the client I run for my empire toon has yet to have *any* problems. Only the one I use for my main has frozen.

Aye, that's odd. My client crashes in Empire space all the time.
Lumirinne
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2011-12-18 05:19:19 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
For months before that, the Devs had been taking the brunt of the heat for Hillmar's decisions. So they could probably use a break about now.

[...] the client I run for my empire toon [...] Only the one I use for my main has frozen.

You got that right.

What do you mean by Empire Toon Client?
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#89 - 2011-12-18 10:06:47 UTC
Lumirinne wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
For months before that, the Devs had been taking the brunt of the heat for Hillmar's decisions. So they could probably use a break about now.

[...] the client I run for my empire toon [...] Only the one I use for my main has frozen.

You got that right.

What do you mean by Empire Toon Client?

I run multiple accounts on multiple clients. I find it easiest to keep each account tied to a separate cloned client.

Lumirinne
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2011-12-18 22:36:06 UTC
Dualboxing? Are we all doing that?

My impression is it sure crashes often when dualboxing and less so when playing one client only. Though not sure of my judgment there because I dualbox all the time. Or maybe after I 'clean installed' Crucible I flew round to awe the new nebulae in different regions. So many jumps to see different kinds of stations and stargates in the new environment as well as the new nature of nebula reflection on my ship. Everything in Crucible working real smoothly - video performance brilliant and seamless as in MAC style, indicating no reasons for worry. Then 'copy as EVE2' and do the 'plist thing' and run my logi pilot account and soon find either or both clients crashing constantly.
Cirage
Ventus
#91 - 2011-12-19 12:49:10 UTC
Lumirinne wrote:
Dualboxing? Are we all doing that?

My impression is it sure crashes often when dualboxing and less so when playing one client only. Though not sure of my judgment there because I dualbox all the time. Or maybe after I 'clean installed' Crucible I flew round to awe the new nebulae in different regions. So many jumps to see different kinds of stations and stargates in the new environment as well as the new nature of nebula reflection on my ship. Everything in Crucible working real smoothly - video performance brilliant and seamless as in MAC style, indicating no reasons for worry. Then 'copy as EVE2' and do the 'plist thing' and run my logi pilot account and soon find either or both clients crashing constantly.

I never dual box. But it was stable just as Crucible came out. Problems started after the first or second patch (not sure) I think.
DalamarS
Hyperion LTD.
#92 - 2011-12-19 17:45:27 UTC
MacPro 1,1 ATI Card. Happens more now than it did when Crucible came out.

Brand new MBP 17 using ATI.

On both I get either the exception noted in this thread or the frozen graphics with the skipping CD audio. Voice client disabled on both. The event seems rather random though it's always in space, never in station.

It happens about once an hour. I have tried deleting client and preferences folders and reinstalling. Doesn't help.
Indigo Deninard
Antex Solutions
#93 - 2011-12-19 23:33:47 UTC
Hi Guys
I have a late 2009 imac 27", i7 2.8mhz, 8gb ram, ati 4850 512mb.

After Crucible I was also getting thrown out of the game at odd times, seemingly for no reason. I would relaunch the client and could play for an hour or so or maybe less or longer before it locked again.

Initially I altered all graphic settings to the default for performance, but still no joy.

I then played around with Smc fan control available here:
http://www.eidac.de/

I made a new setting for Eve where the imac fans are set at just over half rpm for while I am playing. When I have finished i revert to the default setting. So far everything is good, I played for about 5 hours solid tonight with graphics back to Quality apart from trails and station environment because i am not keen on those. Not one lock up and temp stable at around 44 C when I had finished. Sure the fans are a bit noisy but small price to pay for uninterrupted play.

Fullscreen 2560 x 1440

Hope this helps.
Avery Lewis
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#94 - 2011-12-20 18:05:34 UTC
Happening more and more frequently with the status update... I submitted a bug report on the GM's instructions, which was "Attached to a defect", but this issue is definitely not resolved.
Korgan Nailo
5ER3NITY INC
The Gorram Shiney Alliance
#95 - 2011-12-20 18:58:08 UTC
I was having crashes and freezes too, however, its been two days and no problem so far.

Whenever there is an update, patch, whatever, apply the patch, then as soon as you open the game, even before logging in, Esc -> Reset Settings -> Clear All Cache Files. This is something I learned from other games as well. Cache files can be really bad for stability.

Right after Crucible, my client was freezing, and I had applied the 1600Mb patch. I redownloaded the client and installed fresh. Since then, 1.0.1 was still bad, 1.0.2 was ok, 1.0.3 is ok.

I'm NOT in Captains Quarters, just ship spinning.

My graphics settings:
==Display==
- Windowed or Fullscreen: Fullscreen (and I command+tabbed a lot! not even a freeze, nothing)
- Adapter Resolution: 2560x1440 (native resolution)
- UI Scaling: 100%
- ATi Radeon HD 4850
- Use multithreaded OpenGL: On

==Effects==
- Turret Effects: On
- Effects: On
- Missile Effects: On
- Camera Shake: On
- Ship Explosions: On
- Drone Models: On
- Trails: On

==Miscellaneous==
- Use LOD: On
- Sun is Occluded by Objects: On
- Advanced Camera Menu: On

==Graphic Content Settings==
- Resource Cache Enabled: Off
- HDR Enalbed: Off
- Load Station Environment: On
- Anti-Aliasing: High (oh I wish this worked... you have no idea)
- Post Processing: None
- Shader Quality: Low
- Texture Quality: High
- LOD Quality: High
- Shadow Quality: Disabled
- Interior Effects: High
- Interior Shader Quality: Low

I hope this helps.

--== EvE Online Quick Reference Sheet: E-Uni Forums Link / EvE Forums Link ==--

Adrenalinemax
Lap Dancers
Brothers of Tangra
#96 - 2011-12-20 21:41:57 UTC
Happened to me again today, on my Orca booster. It was on its own screen and I never really look there, but after a few hours of ming when I went to shutdown, i got all my miners in, picked up all the cans and went to shut down the Orca and low and behold it had frozen. I have no earthly idea how long it was frozen and like before, boost was still being given out. Toon was still in local, and stayed in fleet.

No logs or any other evidence of a crash whatsoever, had to force quit application, but it never said not responding and application was still using memory and cpu per activity monitor.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#97 - 2011-12-21 00:42:32 UTC
Ive seen the same sort of freeze. For me it was one of the miners so I noticed it right away. The ship stayed in the fleet, purple tag, until I did a force quit on that client. Then the frozen one went green tag, and e-warped off.

So it appears that what is freezing is the UI. The client is still talking to the server.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Narh Oomi
Dexter Ward Enterprises
#98 - 2011-12-21 19:39:34 UTC
Crash this evening when undocking.

"Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000039 at address 0x71cf71d5"

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
Enduros
UK Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#99 - 2011-12-21 23:00:30 UTC
Completely unplayable. Crashing 3 times in a row for trying to undock was the last straw, just cancelled my subs. **** CCP
Invisusira
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#100 - 2011-12-22 00:45:32 UTC
Welp, been a while since it crashed on me, but just did it again.

Exact same as usual. Windowed mode, docked, ship spinning, game froze and music started skipping; could move mouse cursor but could only force-quit the program.