These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

It is Past Time for the Republic to Sue for Peace

Author
Katy Moore
J. S. Radioactive Sheep Farm
#81 - 2014-12-17 19:02:17 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
I
the Minmatar know that the Amarr didn't sue for peace a century ago out of the goodness of their hearts.

The Amarr Empire never sued for peace with the Minmatar Republic.

After restoring order, Emperor Heideran declared peace, because he knew the cost to the civilian populations would be unacceptable.

Then, when the Federation, the Caldari State, and even the Jove Empire began the project that was to become CONCORD, and hardline Holders objected to the Emperor Heideran's decision to enter these negotiations, which ultimately recognised the Republic as an entity.

Then, in a political masterstroke, the Emperor Heideran appointed a Sarumite Holder as the representative to CONCORD, to which the hardliners were unable to object, without insulting themselves.

So, it was out of the goodness of the great Emperor Heideran's heart, that peace was achieved.

And then Shakor goes and ruins all of that.

I have spoken before, on the possibility of peace between the Empire and the Republic.

Those arguments remain valid.

I would suggest Shakor be placed under house arrest in Yulai, and banned from real time electronic communication with the rest of the cluster.

This would end his malignant influence over the Republic, and allow a peace settlement that is not an obvious delaying action.
Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#82 - 2014-12-17 19:27:40 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
Deitra Vess wrote:
Nor do we have any reason to even entertain the idea of peace...

Aside from the fact that the Republic was better off and safer before the war, as a trade and diplomatic partner with the Empire.

At the cost of countless suffering under the Empire yoke. While I do not have high thoughts of the Republic, I think most of its denizens would consider that too high a price to pay.
Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#83 - 2014-12-17 19:30:51 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:
CONCORD is also fine with slavery.

So, like everyone else, you're willing to take the bits of CONCORD you like and discard the rest? Glad to see yet another example of how Amarrians really aren't better than anyone else.

No, merely pointing out that's what you were doing.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#84 - 2014-12-17 19:37:36 UTC
Deitra Vess wrote:

I know you're a combat pilot, so I find it odd that you can't view the constant loss of blood and treasure involved in the wars and not see "any reason to even entertain the idea of peace". As a Minmatar Capsuleer, I know that you are insulated from the masses of starving refugees and the poverty and crime and brutality that is a direct result of focusing so much economic output on war production, but still - you can see it. And seeing it, how can you have no "reason to even entertain the idea of peace"?

I understand your need to free your kin but you MUST have somewhere to free them to. Or are you intending to send them all to the Federation while you break the Republic on the rocks of endless war? Since your current approach is achieving very little progress, you would be better served in seeing it as a long term process and prioritising accordingly.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#85 - 2014-12-17 20:00:40 UTC
Rodj Blake wrote:

All of the years we've known each other, Blake, all I've ever desired of you is that you get down off your high horse and admit that you're just like the rest of us.

One of these days, with words or with force, I will compel you to do so. That is an ironclad promise. That day will come and you should prepare for it.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Havohej
Cretus Incendium
Electus Matari
#86 - 2014-12-17 21:12:02 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:

All of the years we've known each other, Blake, all I've ever desired of you is that you get down off your high horse and admit that you're just like the rest of us.

One of these days, with words or with force, I will compel you to do so. That is an ironclad promise. That day will come and you should prepare for it.

When I was locked up in an RSS prison, they had these mandatory "Anger Management" classes we had to sit through.

In these classes, they warned us of "talking yourself into a corner." That is, stating that you will do a thing and thus, no matter how self-destructive (or simply bloody boring) it may be, because you have said a thing before witnesses, you are cornered into having to do that thing.

Of course, deciding later that it isn't worth it, or worse yet, failing in the attempt, leads to a great deal of embarrassment.

Sometimes this embarrassment comes in the form of assholes reminding you years after the fact how you lost to this remote-repping Dominix fleet this one time.

I'd hate to see this happen to you.

Strike us like matches, 'cause everyone deserves the flames.

OOC Forums @ Backstage

Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#87 - 2014-12-17 22:09:57 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:

Only when you admit that deep down you're just like me.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#88 - 2014-12-17 23:02:53 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Deitra Vess wrote:

I know you're a combat pilot, so I find it odd that you can't view the constant loss of blood and treasure involved in the wars and not see "any reason to even entertain the idea of peace". As a Minmatar Capsuleer, I know that you are insulated from the masses of starving refugees and the poverty and crime and brutality that is a direct result of focusing so much economic output on war production, but still - you can see it. And seeing it, how can you have no "reason to even entertain the idea of peace"?

I understand your need to free your kin but you MUST have somewhere to free them to. Or are you intending to send them all to the Federation while you break the Republic on the rocks of endless war? Since your current approach is achieving very little progress, you would be better served in seeing it as a long term process and prioritising accordingly.

I was more less responding to Erin. Inflexability should be met with inflexability. If there's no room for compromise there's no reason for striving for peace. Believe me when I say majority of the points you made were clear and on my conscience when I said that, however we shouldn't forget the reasons why we fight to only make peace for ourselves and doom our children.

As far as not having any place to bring them when we finally free our brothers, when we were finally free, we built ourselves back up from nothing. If what you said were the case, we would be starting from a much better point then that. Whatever hardship we would face, we would overcome. We have before, we most certainly will again.
Anslo
Scope Works
#89 - 2014-12-17 23:10:02 UTC
Deitra Vess wrote:
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Deitra Vess wrote:

I was more less responding to Erin. Inflexability should be met with inflexability. If there's no room for compromise there's no reason for striving for peace. Believe me when I say majority of the points you made were clear and on my conscience when I said that, however we shouldn't forget the reasons why we fight to only make peace for ourselves and doom our children.

As far as not having any place to bring them when we finally free our brothers, when we were finally free, we built ourselves back up from nothing. If what you said were the case, we would be starting from a much better point then that. Whatever hardship we would face, we would overcome. We have before, we most certainly will again.

PREEEEEEAAAAAACH

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Nauplius
Hoi Andrapodistai
#90 - 2014-12-18 02:48:13 UTC
Karynn Denton wrote:
What's with all the peacenik nonsense?

Should I jack in the combat-enhancer trade and start selling flowery garlands instead?

Start shooting each other in the face again, ffs!

Agreed. I would trade four-fifths of the population of the Empire in war if it meant the total extermination of the filthy Minmatar Republic.
Tyrel Toov
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#91 - 2014-12-18 03:29:51 UTC
hush, Naups. The adults are bickering like children just fine. No need for you to get involved too.

I want to paint my ship Periwinkle.

Kellie Dusette
Division 13
#92 - 2014-12-18 03:49:53 UTC
Kellie pings Nauplius's neocom repeatedly.

Pleeeeeeeease Mista Nauplyous.
Pieter Tuulinen
Khimi Harar
#93 - 2014-12-18 04:14:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Pieter Tuulinen
Deitra Vess wrote:

Inflexibility should be met with inflexibility. That sounds like a recipe for no progress to me. Besides which, you can say a lot about Sarum's administration but you can't say she's inflexible. She released slaves. Nobody seems terribly interested in WHY or in how she could be persuaded to do so again.

I'll say that again. She released, without negotiation or pretext, millions of slaves to the Republic. Nobody seems terribly interested, however. Most of the Matari I've discussed it with have claimed that the Republic's poor handling of this release of slaves proves that it was, in fact, a cunning ruse to bring down the Republic by giving it a taste of what it wants. Okay, then.

Also, you did not 'build yourselves back up from nothing'. Much of the territory that you took was formerly Amarrian. You seized those systems intact. You were also heavily funded by the Gallente Federation. There is no certainty that you could manage a huge influx of former-slaves who don't necessarily share your culture or religion.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#94 - 2014-12-18 05:15:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Deitra Vess wrote:

Inflexibility should be met with inflexibility. That sounds like a recipe for no progress to me. Besides which, you can say a lot about Sarum's administration but you can't say she's inflexible. She released slaves. Nobody seems terribly interested in WHY or in how she could be persuaded to do so again.

I'll say that again. She released, without negotiation or pretext, millions of slaves to the Republic. Nobody seems terribly interested, however. Most of the Matari I've discussed it with have claimed that the Republic's poor handling of this release of slaves proves that it was, in fact, a cunning ruse to bring down the Republic by giving it a taste of what it wants. Okay, then.

Also, you did not 'build yourselves back up from nothing'. Much of the territory that you took was formerly Amarrian. You seized those systems intact. You were also heavily funded by the Gallente Federation. There is no certainty that you could manage a huge influx of former-slaves who don't necessarily share your culture or religion.

I will argue that the Empress didn't do this without any pretext. These were indoctrinated slaves, still wracked with Vitoxin afflictions! We had to deal with Scripture-thumping door-to-door missionaries in the crack of dawn who wouldn't leave the clan commons even after five hours of heckling! Worse, they had this problem where they will suddenly seize up, flop about and spill the communal coffee all over the carpet out of the blue! They are also utterly rubbish at fixing or doing anything useful other than preaching semi-coherently and seizing up once a week!

Can't even train them to do anything useful either! They are pretty resistant to it! Something about 'Pagan rubbish'.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#95 - 2014-12-18 06:15:11 UTC
Rodj Blake wrote:
Only when you admit that deep down you're just like me.

I already know it, Rodj. I know I'm just like you. And I know that the only thing that makes me better than you is my ability to admit to myself that I'm just like you.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#96 - 2014-12-18 12:07:41 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
The idea of the entirety of humanity sharing one culture is pretty damn horrific regardless of how it's achieved. Talk to Stitcher about his opinion on cultural homogenisation sometime.

Andreus,

Honestly, though I admit I'm irresponsibly playing devils advocate to a certain extent, a part of me is almost inclined to disagree with you there. If you think about it from a purely pragmatic standpoint (or perhaps even a somewhat deific one), the idea of a truly homogenized human culture is at least as wonderful as it is horrifying - Most of the clusters civilizations that achieved spaceflight on their own terms got a taste of it in the years before the illusion was shattered by first contact with other races, and there's a reason they're usually called golden ages. The idea of a world where people not only don't fight, but have no reason to ever fight again, is a concept so wonderful that in the modern day it almost seems fanastical.

The problem is less the idea itself, and more the horrible sacrifices, both willing and unwilling, one would have to make to realize it - since each culture is obviously a unique and precious thing to all of it's followers, with it's own objectively compelling advantages. I fully admit I'm no exception. Unless humanity decides to draw straws on it, any means to reach it is going to be insidious at best, and absolutely nightmarish at worst.

I digress, though. I see what you're trying to say, but I still don't really think it would be a terrible thing. Speaking realistically, it's obvious to anyone who doesn't believe in a literal divine mandate of fate that the idea of the Amarr converting the cluster by velvet is a non-starter; It's had a hundred years to do it already, and the only place it's caught on notably is in pockets in the Federation, and I very much doubt the Theology Council has a high opinion of how it's metamorphosed to be compelling in that environment. Even in the State, the Empires closest ally, when you hear "Amarr Missionary" it's usually as a punchline, or failing that, an angry complaint.

So what's the harm in them trying? Most religions have practically unfulfillable mandates, and still manage to function in wider society just fine, so long as they don't have a sword in their hand to go with it.
Desiderya
Blue Canary
Watch This
#97 - 2014-12-18 12:10:14 UTC
Evi Polevhia wrote:
Tuulinen for Empress.

That would be pretentious. I vote we call him Duchess.

Ruthlessness is the kindness of the wise.

Pieter Tuulinen
Khimi Harar
#98 - 2014-12-18 14:29:56 UTC
Desiderya wrote:
Evi Polevhia wrote:
Tuulinen for Empress.

Now look what you've done.

Darc Kaahar
Space Men
#99 - 2014-12-18 15:09:06 UTC
Wood -- the strongest substance known to man.
Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#100 - 2014-12-18 16:55:47 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Desiderya wrote:
Evi Polevhia wrote:
Tuulinen for Empress.

Now look what you've done.

Now you just need a proper dress and you'll be all set. I'm thinking something in green....

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.