These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Invention Materials Change.. again

Author
Ikit
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-12-17 18:26:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Ikit
I just got back into the game after a three month break and found that I no longer could "invent T2 Drones. Prior to a recent patch the materials/skills required were as follows:

Skills
Gallente Encryption Methods
Electronic Engineering
Mechanical Engineering

Datacores
Electronic Engineering
Mechanical Engineering

I am not talking about fail or success rate. The skills and datacores required have been changed!!!!

New Skills
Gallente Encryption Methods
Electronic Engineering
Graviton Physics

New Datacores
Electronic Engineering
Graviton Physics

Can anyone explain why this was done? Was this a mistake or by design?
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-12-17 18:34:56 UTC
Ikit
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-12-17 18:54:03 UTC
Hi Elena,

Thank you for posting the links to the Dev blog. It seems that these changes in skill / datacore requirements were done by design. I can see no reason why this was a positive change. All it did was make me train new skills, and lose the functionality of the old ones. Since I do not invent much more than drones and the occasional mining laser.

All in all this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but just downright stupid from my perspective.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#4 - 2014-12-17 20:22:45 UTC
Ikit wrote:
Hi Elena,

Thank you for posting the links to the Dev blog. It seems that these changes in skill / datacore requirements were done by design. I can see no reason why this was a positive change. All it did was make me train new skills, and lose the functionality of the old ones. Since I do not invent much more than drones and the occasional mining laser.

All in all this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but just downright stupid from my perspective.

Note that the invention probability formula has changed too. There is really no need to train 5 anymore.
Rawketsled
Generic Corp Name
#5 - 2014-12-17 23:07:51 UTC
Ikit wrote:
Hi Elena,

The change was made because Mechanical and Electronics were overused in invention. This balances them out a bit more now.

The old system was downright stupid from everyone else's perspective.
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#6 - 2014-12-18 09:43:53 UTC
Rawketsled wrote:
The old system was downright stupid from everyone else's perspective.

With a few exceptions the old system always required an engineering skill. With the new system there are several science/science inventions... When physics and chemistry meet you get a theory - to turn it into something real you need an engineer.
Iron Breaker
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2014-12-25 22:03:22 UTC
I tend to agree it was a pretty stupid change. I also invented drones and not much else. Now I cant invent anything, and I have stacks of datacores I cant use.

No insult intended, but changes like this make me think CCP is running out of ideas to do with the game. And it does not win them any love with people who spent time maxing out their skills for the old data cores.
Iron Breaker
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2014-12-25 22:12:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Iron Breaker
I tend to agree it was a pretty stupid change. I also invented drones and not much else. Now I cant invent anything, and I have stacks of datacores I cant use.

No insult intended, but changes like this make me think CCP is running out of ideas to do with the game. And it does not win them any love with people who spent time maxing out their skills for the old data cores.
Calvin Broadus
Georgia Department of Transportation
#9 - 2014-12-26 12:51:19 UTC
CCP has been doing this since day 1.

Train, train, train, train, train, train, use the skill, get nerfed, repeat.

I used to get mad. Now I just don't care any more.

The game just hasn't been the same since the drone nerf way back in... what... RMR?

Paynus Maiassus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-12-27 05:30:00 UTC
Ikit wrote:
Hi Elena,

The dev blogs explain elegantly why the materials were changed. Now there is a more even consumption of datacores throughout New Eden's various items. Skills were changed to reflect datacores.

It is you who are stupid for not being able to read the rationales in the blogs.
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#11 - 2014-12-29 19:38:24 UTC
Since OP clearly will not be needing all those data cores, can I have your stuff?

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY