These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

ship for WH travelling

Author
Chichiing Meniyenn
DEEP-13
#1 - 2011-12-12 20:45:31 UTC
Hey I'm thinking I would like to do some longterm wandering, using WHs instead of jumpgates to see where the universe takes me. What might be a good ship choice for that? I guess I'd need a ship that would be prepared for anything: HiSec, LowSec, Null, fighting, running, exploring, salvaging, sitting docked while I trade my wares in some new system LOL....and still be cheap enough to lose without turning my pockets inside out. Race doesn't matter, I'll train for it if needed.
Joe For Sale
Doomheim
#2 - 2011-12-12 21:14:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe For Sale
On the very cheap end you could do an arbitrator. You'll end up needing to replenish drones a lot if you make a habit of playing in w-space though (and I wouldn't advise trying to do more than c1-2 sites). It's got plenty of room for a cloak, mwd, probe launcher, and all the necessary exploring modules. The pilgrim is an exellent t2 variant of the arbi and can fit a covert cloak, essentially the same story as above just 10x the cost and a little safer traveling.

On the upper end t3 ships make the ideal explorers. You can configure them to suite your needs. The only drawback is the price-tag. Should you decide to eschew fighting though, a relatively cheap covert ops frigate is a great and much cheaper alternative. If you decide to go the latter route, I suggest the amarr or minmatar variants.
Cherry Nobyl
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2011-12-12 23:14:41 UTC
you'll need to narrow your focus some, 'wandering' covers a fair bit of ground. (i'm also unsure of just how much wormhole experience you may or may not have.)

if the intent is to get from 'a' to 'x' intact and wonder at the marvel of it all along the way; then i'd suggest a simple cov ops. it'll make scanning the 10th system in a difficult c5 loop much more bearable with the bonuses to scanning, the cov ops cloak to scoot out from under the hole camp of lokis and bubbles, and some ability to hang around and watch fireworks from time to time on those same camps.

if you run across something interesting along the way you can solo such as a c1-2 then grab a drake and run it with that.

the problem here is the vulnerability and lack of intel at any given point along the way that makes fitting a cloak near mandatory when in an unfamiliar wh and solo.

if you hope to consistently run sites/survive pvp between point a and x then dualboxing 2 accounts would be a much better way to go.

Gritz1
Ice Fire Warriors
#4 - 2011-12-12 23:35:04 UTC
a cov ops frigates simply will not give you the flexibility to do what you want. I fly a helios into WH's all the time to scout, but it lacks any real fire power. Try a cov ops cruiser for the longer runs where you may face some fighting as well. good luck! and dont forget to BM the out WH :)
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2011-12-13 02:11:54 UTC
Sounds like an epic waste of time to me, but each to their own.
Cloaky T3 is your only option.

in order of quality for cloaky T3s:

Proteus--Loki-----Tengu----------------------------------------------------Legion

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2011-12-13 04:15:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Nalha Saldana
The only ship i can think of except t3s that would be able to do this is the Myrmidon

[Myrmidon, Wanderer]
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Gyrostabilizer II

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive
Drone Navigation Computer I
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
Salvager I
Improved Cloaking Device II
720mm Howitzer Artillery II, Republic Fleet Titanium Sabot M

Medium Core Defence Field Purger I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Vespa EC-600 x5
Berserker SW-900 x1

Something like this would be able to solo c1/c2 sites (tho very slow), rat belts in 0.0, salvage, probe and cloak. Tho watch out for bubbles, they will probably be your death in 0.0. Also use the MWD very carefully in pve.
This is skill heavy, you will need high probing and drone skills to not get bored quickly.
Chichiing Meniyenn
DEEP-13
#7 - 2011-12-13 15:09:11 UTC
Myrmidon ... I think I'll examine that option more closely. Sounds like it might be a good choice. T3s are a little too much for me right now plus it'll be a drag to lose skills when it goes all pretty 'splosions. I can fly a cloaky Pilgrim but it seems a bit thin skinned for this use.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#8 - 2011-12-13 18:05:11 UTC
Chichiing Meniyenn wrote:
Myrmidon ... I think I'll examine that option more closely. Sounds like it might be a good choice. T3s are a little too much for me right now plus it'll be a drag to lose skills when it goes all pretty 'splosions. I can fly a cloaky Pilgrim but it seems a bit thin skinned for this use.

You only lose 'a skill' when they pop. 4 days or so to get back a level 5 skill.

-Mad

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-12-13 18:17:15 UTC
Gritz1 wrote:
a cov ops frigates simply will not give you the flexibility to do what you want. I fly a helios into WH's all the time to scout, but it lacks any real fire power. Try a cov ops cruiser for the longer runs where you may face some fighting as well. good luck! and dont forget to BM the out WH :)

Ah perfect wandering... Why not try a falcon? It can wander and roam all it wants... not much esle. Recons are perfect for wandering, but they can not catch anything that bites, only escape it.

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Tarunik Raqalth'Qui
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2011-12-13 19:26:12 UTC
Covops for simple exploration, cloaky/probe-y T3 if you want something that can shoot at things too.
bartos100
Living Ghost
#11 - 2011-12-14 08:59:59 UTC
if you want to spend extended periods of time in WH without POS then i think amarr is the way to go
with a set of t1 laser crystals you never run out of ammo

but as said earlyer a cloak is mandatory for roaming in WH and you will run out of cargospace to put in loot every so often

drones are less usefull as the sleepers tend to eat those
IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2011-12-14 17:44:48 UTC
Joe For Sale wrote:
On the very cheap end you could do an arbitrator. You'll end up needing to replenish drones a lot if you make a habit of playing in w-space though (and I wouldn't advise trying to do more than c1-2 sites). It's got plenty of room for a cloak, mwd, probe launcher, and all the necessary exploring modules. The pilgrim is an exellent t2 variant of the arbi and can fit a covert cloak, essentially the same story as above just 10x the cost and a little safer traveling.

On the upper end t3 ships make the ideal explorers. You can configure them to suite your needs. The only drawback is the price-tag. Should you decide to eschew fighting though, a relatively cheap covert ops frigate is a great and much cheaper alternative. If you decide to go the latter route, I suggest the amarr or minmatar variants.

An Arbitrator will get raped soloing combats in C1, C2 sites IMO, can;t think a Pilgrim would do much better TBH. Exploring holes is one set of skills and one type of boat, clearign combats is another baot and another set of skills and slavagign your loot is yet another set of skills and another boat. YOU won't have much luck tryign to do all of this in one package.

My advice gets a few friends. in a C1:

a Magnate ~or~ Anathema to scout and scan
a Harbinger ~and~ a Drake work well together to do the combats.
a Alt in a Noctis for cleanup

and if you're really serious

a Alt in a Guardian, Logi support is always nice

so five guys, or three with two duel boxers minimum. and this is just my opinion.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#13 - 2011-12-14 19:24:12 UTC
Sounds cool

Ignore the haters, this game is about fun, and wandering can be fun for some people.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be able to actually run sites in WH's, vs just transit through them etc.

As others have said, a cloak will be very useful. That being said a covert ops cloak is not mandatory. You can still get by without one, and even in a T3 the covert ops will gimp your DPS.

If you want to be able to solo WH's, and you have the isk, I'd go Tengu or Legion. The T3's have the benefit of big tank and lots of flexibility. You can fit for solo WH sites and still carry other T3 subsystems (covert ops, interdiction nullifier) in cargo if you end up in null for safe travel and so forth.

Outside of that, if "I" were going to do this, i'd take an Ishtar. An Ishtar can do high/low/null exploration. It can handle C1/C2 wormholes (yes you have to watch your drones but it can work). It can nullsec rat, and even handle some nullsec plexes. Plus being a drone boat you have many slots for non-combat modules.

Personally though, I would probably use WH's for transit and not bother running the sites. Ninja running WH's solo is a very dangerous affair. You are usually in someone elses space. You will have limited scouting ability. Dscan is only so good with no local and a cloaky hunter looking for you. But mostly, given the ship options, you will be looking at best, a C1-C2, maybe C3. Honestly IMO the risk of ninja running some C1-C2 sites isn't worth the potential payout. the lower WH's rely mostly on nanoribbon drops for their isk, and they are very random drops.

Julia Connor
P R O M E T H E U S
#14 - 2011-12-15 17:50:58 UTC
I'd rather fly a pilgrim than that myrmidon.
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-12-17 11:44:02 UTC
It all depends if you are doing this to pve or pvp, you cant be great at both.
Ran across the Gila in another thread and realized it might be a really nice choice if you want to pve.

[Gila, passive AB]
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

10MN Afterburner II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I

Salvager I
'Malkuth' Heavy Missile Launcher I, Thunderbolt Heavy Missile
'Malkuth' Heavy Missile Launcher I, Thunderbolt Heavy Missile
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Core Scanner Probe I
Improved Cloaking Device II

Garde II x5
Hammerhead II x10
Hobgoblin II x16
Vespa EC-600 x5
Berserker SW-900 x1
Light Armor Maintenance Bot I x4
Marcus McTavish
Volcel Police
#16 - 2011-12-17 21:12:55 UTC
Cloaky PVP Tengu with buffer tank and warp disrupter/mwd.
Chettah or Buzzard with cloak, scanner, salvager, analyzer and codebreaker.

Or else get a drake, scanning ship, noctis, etc in a 100mwd, cloaked orca.
Tarunik Raqalth'Qui
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2011-12-19 16:58:26 UTC
Marcus McTavish wrote:
Cloaky PVP Tengu with buffer tank and warp disrupter/mwd.
Chettah or Buzzard with cloak, scanner, salvager, analyzer and codebreaker.

Or else get a drake, scanning ship, noctis, etc in a 100mwd, cloaked orca.

Cloaky/probe-y/pointy PvP Tengu (or Proteus, or Loki) is a good suggestion, although watch what you're doing with probes to avoid tipping your hand too far (even if you have such a fancy ship, D-Scan is still your friend). I will say that the tag-along covops is optional (depends on what sites you want to run, also it'll have to be a Cheetah or Anathema due to the Buzzard and Helios only having 2 high slots).

As to the "jam everything into a MWD/cloaky Orca approach", it's riskier because you are putting WAY more mass on WHs (~250mil KG for the Orca as opposed to <10mil KG for Cheetah+Tengu).
Ally Zar
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-12-20 01:56:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Ally Zar
Jack Miton wrote:
Sounds like an epic waste of time to me, but each to their own.
Cloaky T3 is your only option.

in order of quality for cloaky T3s:

Proteus--Loki-----Tengu----------------------------------------------------Legion

+1

Covert ship is only option for safe scannig and travelling through wormhole spaces. Cloaky T3 is the best one. Non-covert ships are easy goal for Wh-pirates. If u don't agree with me then i'll be glad to meet u in wh-space.... )

PS: drake, myrmidon, harb and others are cheap but not best ones
read this >> https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=37717&find=unread
Brotha Umad
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2011-12-20 11:27:03 UTC
IGNATIUS HOOD wrote:

My advice gets a few friends. in a C1:

a Magnate ~or~ Anathema to scout and scan
a Harbinger ~and~ a Drake work well together to do the combats.
a Alt in a Noctis for cleanup

and if you're really serious

a Alt in a Guardian, Logi support is always nice

so five guys, or three with two duel boxers minimum. and this is just my opinion.

Wow, are you sure this is enough for a C1 site ? Two guardians would be a bare minimum to maintain the cap chain. A suicide triage carrier may also work, but you'll have to build it inside the WH.
Don't forget to have another alt in a falcon, just in case.