These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PI: Grouping factories to fit in standard industry system

Author
Xeloh Cedwond
Core Industry.
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2014-12-10 22:14:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Xeloh Cedwond
Hello,

I had this idea for a little while now, and being a fan of PI industry, I would love to see that come to life!
The main mechanism of PI makes it very flexible. Moving industries, creating your network etc... very good for customizing part. But the system is also very very repetitive when it comes to installing blueprint or setting a network up.

To solve this repetitive and dull system of repetitive clicking and network: grouping.

On each planet, you could group factories together (under a specific or defined group name, what is easier).
These factories needs to be:
- of the same type
- connected to the same network.

Once a group is defined, it can be found in the industry tab (not the PI tab, but using the standard industry interface)

For each group, you will be able to define in the industry interface:
- Input storage (can be one or multiple storage located on the planet and connected to the group's network)
- Output storage (must be unique and connected to the group's network)
- Schematic (like it is in the factories on planets)

Once you chose that, the system automatically define routes, and if the network is not enough (routes are too small), warn the user to update the network before the process can start. If everything is good, chose the number of run, press start and the manufacturing will start!

This will allow to:
- Follow PI via the Industry interface and benefit from all the improvement done on the industry
- Allow more flexibility on the PI industry front: no more hundreds of clicks to define routes and change a schematic on a few factories!
- Allow a better visibility of the PI Industry, thanks to the Industry interface
- Finally, could allow API connection with PI by extracting status data on the group (like the kind of data you would receive from the industry part).

I think such a new mechanism should not be too difficult to implement as an addition to the current PI and industry system.
Hope you like the idea ! (i thought about adding screenshot of the idea but lack time to do it, so if someone really want some visual of what I have in mind I'll try to do them!)

Fly safe!
Xeloh Cedwond
Core Industry.
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2014-12-11 19:31:41 UTC
No one interested in the idea ? :(

I though planetary interaction had a few more fan waiting for the next update to come !
This idea may seem simple but at the end, if it is simple but provide a lot of improvement to the current system why not?
Xeloh Cedwond
Core Industry.
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2014-12-14 17:56:47 UTC
Bump...
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#4 - 2014-12-14 18:26:27 UTC
Bumping is not allowed on these forums, but your idea has merit. The entire PI interface and experience could use some work. When my alliance moved from Tenal to Delve, I didn't set up PI because I was dreading the clickfest on the five different PI characters. Then we moved from Delve to Fountain and I am still avoiding the tedium.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Aran Hotchkiss
Tactically Challenged
The Initiative.
#5 - 2014-12-14 22:53:57 UTC
I'll admit I like this idea. Would need some fleshing out to integrate PI into the industry tab, but looks reasonable enough.

You should have enough control over your herd of cats to make them understand. If they constantly make misstakes, get better cats.

Xeloh Cedwond
Core Industry.
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2014-12-15 19:42:42 UTC
Sorry for the outlawed bump, I didn't know!

The thing is I left Eve for a little while due to this click madness.
I came back to see this great revamp on the industry tab and thought: we need the same for PI!

I now that it is far from being a priority as it touch such a small population, but it cannot be underestimated either.

But I don't know how the mechanism of PI are designed, if they are maybe not flexible enough to do so!

Another improvement, but more indirect to PI, would be to allow multiple unstacking! What a nightmare when I need to unstack 8 time 6k or 12k of a P1 into my Iteron! Why not being able to select all comodities, Shift + drag, select the quantity and it will unstack all commodities by the quantity defined! Seems reasonable?
Abramul
Canadian Forces Corp
United 4 Nations
#7 - 2014-12-16 17:57:29 UTC
As far as basic groups go, here's a pretty easy way. Add Medium and Large processors that have 3x and 5x the cycle amounts and CPU/PG, with maybe a bit on top due to not having to connect as many routes.
Leoric Firesword
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2014-12-16 18:10:42 UTC
add this grouping to the idea a corp mate had of being able to save a setup and PI wouldn't be near the pain it is now. (be able to save the layout of a colony so you can just rubber stamp it instead of placing each building)
Xeloh Cedwond
Core Industry.
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2014-12-16 18:25:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Xeloh Cedwond
Abramul wrote:
Add Medium and Large processors that have 3x and 5x the cycle amounts and CPU/PG, with maybe a bit on top due to not having to connect as many routes

That would do the trick if you only have to change the schematic of 1 or 2 processor instead of 6 to 8 it is always better!

It could be also part of a skill. You have the command center skill, to allow you to have bigger colonies, but they could also introduce the factory size skill, which allow you to use bigger factory, or to be able to upgrade them like the command center?

Leoric Firesword wrote:
add this grouping to the idea a corp mate had of being able to save a setup and PI wouldn't be near the pain it is now. (be able to save the layout of a colony so you can just rubber stamp it instead of placing each building)

I like your idea !

To avoid this pain I was keeping the same layout on the planet and not moving. But as a freelancer, if the POCO is owned and heavily tax I have to move now... and here come the click click pain to reproduce the same layout as before, but somewhere else!