These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Multiple character training. How much?

First post
Author
Billy TwoMirrors
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-12-15 12:38:17 UTC
Am I reading this right, that it cost £15.99 for every extra character you train?

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I thought it a little expensive.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-12-15 12:47:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
In most cases, a second account makes more sense. That's what, $13 a month if you pay for 3 months, I think. Plus all the special offers.

Multiple character training only really makes sense when you want to give an alt a couple months training and no more and you have no need to log them in separately ever. Otherwise, a second account is probably more efficient over the long term.

Or you can just pause the main's skill training for a bit and train a second character.

Either way, it's not something you have to buy.
ISD Decoy
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#3 - 2014-12-15 12:48:50 UTC
You can find everything you need to know about multiple character training here.

A PLEX for another month of skill training sounds reasonable to me.

ISD Decoy

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Cherri Minoa
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-12-15 13:14:31 UTC
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Am I reading this right, that it cost £15.99 for every extra character you train?

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I thought it a little expensive.

I think it's bit on the expensive side as well, but the pricing structure from CCP has always been a bit of a mystery.

For example, you can buy a PLEX for £15.99 and use it to buy 1 x Multiple Pilot Training Certificate or 1 x Pilot's Body Resculpt Certificate.

Or you can convert it into 3,500 AUR which buys you 1 x Multiple Pilot Training Certificate or... err... 3 x Pilot's Body Resculpt Certificate with 500 AUR left over. Make sense to anyone ?

"If I had been censured every time I have run my ship, or fleets under my command, into great danger, I should have long ago been out of the Service" - Horatio Nelson

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-12-15 14:55:23 UTC
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:

It is as much as a 2nd account, which makes sense as you are just doing what 2 accounts could do.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-12-15 14:58:45 UTC
Cherri Minoa wrote:
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:

I think it's bit on the expensive side as well, but the pricing structure from CCP has always been a bit of a mystery.

For example, you can buy a PLEX for £15.99 and use it to buy 1 x Multiple Pilot Training Certificate or 1 x Pilot's Body Resculpt Certificate.

Or you can convert it into 3,500 AUR which buys you 1 x Multiple Pilot Training Certificate or... err... 3 x Pilot's Body Resculpt Certificate with 500 AUR left over. Make sense to anyone ?

Shhhh. Don't warn them about that....Now they will make the NES shop more expensiveP

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Billy TwoMirrors
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-12-15 15:29:28 UTC
Still, at £15.99 for the ability train one of your alts to me, does sound a bit excessive, but as you say, no one is forcing you to participate.

The service is a good one, one I have said for years should exist, but I was looking at a price that was reasonable.
J'Poll
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-12-15 15:54:45 UTC
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Still, at £15.99 for the ability train one of your alts to me, does sound a bit excessive, but as you say, no one is forcing you to participate.

The service is a good one, one I have said for years should exist, but I was looking at a price that was reasonable.

It is reasonable, as it is the same price as existed for the same "option", which was using a seperate account to train an alt (and then pay 2 more PLEX to move it to your existing account).

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#9 - 2014-12-15 21:37:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Multiple character training is primarily for training specialized low SP alts.

Example: I have a ~6 month industry alt (12.77m SP) that was dual-trained using PLEX. I also trained a cyno alt (~1 month).
Evei Shard
Shard Industries
#10 - 2014-12-15 22:38:02 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Multiple character training is primarily for training specialized low SP alts.

Example: I have a ~6 month industry alt (12.77m SP) that was dual-trained using PLEX. I also trained a cyno alt (~1 month).

This.

Dual character training is best used for creation of an alt that you will use constantly after training to a certain point, such as a PI or market alt.

It is cheaper to train it up on a 2nd account, yes, but once the training is done, you still have to pay the monthly fee in order to continue using it. If you dual train, once that alt is skilled, you don't have to pay additional money for it but it will still be a character you can log in with because it's part of your main account.

Profit favors the prepared

Billy TwoMirrors
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-12-16 06:25:14 UTC
Yes I see the advantages, but I still cannot justify the price they are asking. Now if it was the price of one months subscription £9.99 or one plex, then I would think it acceptable.

I suppose if you are a big Eve fan and have money to burn, then fine. But some of us are on a tight gaming budget. :)
I am not so much complaining but inquiring on how CCP justify s the price of £15.99 per character.
Thomas Builder
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-12-16 06:49:10 UTC
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Now if it was the price of one months subscription £9.99 or one plex, then I would think it acceptable.
Umm ... it is one PLEX if you chose to pay with it.

The "pay with cash" option is always a bit mysterious with CCP - sometimes it's cheaper than the PLEX option, sometimes it's more expensive. In the case of MCT, it's cheaper to buy PLEX and then buy MCT with it than to buy MCT directly.
Billy TwoMirrors
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2014-12-16 07:56:23 UTC
Thomas Builder wrote:
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Now if it was the price of one months subscription £9.99 or one plex, then I would think it acceptable.

The "pay with cash" option is always a bit mysterious with CCP - sometimes it's cheaper than the PLEX option, sometimes it's more expensive. In the case of MCT, it's cheaper to buy PLEX and then buy MCT with it than to buy MCT directly.

I would not buy plex for subscription or any other service as it's more expensive than paying by card. The only time I would use plex is if it was earned from within the game. So really plex is not a option for me here.

I can buy a months subscription for £9.99, yet to train one extra character on my exciting account costs £15.99. This is where my confusion lies.
J'Poll
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-12-16 09:55:24 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Yes I see the advantages, but I still cannot justify the price they are asking. Now if it was the price of one months subscription £9.99 or one plex, then I would think it acceptable.

I suppose if you are a big Eve fan and have money to burn, then fine. But some of us are on a tight gaming budget. :)
I am not so much complaining but inquiring on how CCP justify s the price of £15.99 per character.

Uhm.

It is the price of a PLEX.

A. You can actually use a PLEX for this.
B. Buying a single PLEX from CCP is exactly the same price as MCT on the website. (If it isnt for the brits, thats your own issue by keeping that 'silver weight' currency).

P.s. it has ALWAYS has been cheaper to subscribe then to buy PLEX from CCP. So nothing new there either.

If yo u want to compare MCT, compare it with PLEX buying not subscribtion plans.

J'Poll
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-12-16 10:00:03 UTC
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Thomas Builder wrote:
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:

I would not buy plex for subscription or any other service as it's more expensive than paying by card. The only time I would use plex is if it was earned from within the game. So really plex is not a option for me here.

I can buy a months subscription for £9.99, yet to train one extra character on my exciting account costs £15.99. This is where my confusion lies.

Because a subscription is a recurring service.

MCT and PLEX are both one time offers. Which also means they should be compared to something.

I can buy 2 newspapers in the local store. How come one is more expensive then the one I have a year long subscription too if I calculate what they cost each. It is because it is cause as usual a 'commited' customer gets discounts.

Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-12-16 11:42:35 UTC
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:

I used it recently to give an existing alt on my main account an extra month of training. The options I had were:

1) Multiple character training for one month: ~$15

2) Transfer character to a different account (~$20), sub for a month (~$15), transfer character back (~$20)

~$15 vs ~$55? Obvious choice is obvious.
That's the kind of thing that MCT is for, not for starting a second character from scratch and training them indefinitely. View it in that light, rather than the 'why's it more expensive than a sub?'

J'Poll
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-12-16 12:22:23 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:

I used it recently to give an existing alt on my main account an extra month of training. The options I had were:

1) Multiple character training for one month: ~$15

2) Transfer character to a different account (~$20), sub for a month (~$15), transfer character back (~$20)

~$15 vs ~$55? Obvious choice is obvious.
That's the kind of thing that MCT is for, not for starting a second character from scratch and training them indefinitely. View it in that light, rather than the 'why's it more expensive than a sub?'

This too.

It caters a totally different need as already pointed out.

Want to have a very high skilled alt. Yes, do go 2nd account
Want to have a low skill, fast train alt. Go MCT (as after the training, you don't have to pay extra to keep it active / transfer it over).

Billy TwoMirrors
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2014-12-16 12:58:13 UTC
Ah! I see that Americans get it cheaper than the British. As usual, being British is a red light to software developers/publishers to add a drink for themselves in with the price. Blink
J'Poll
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-12-16 13:28:05 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Ah! I see that Americans get it cheaper than the British. As usual, being British is a red light to software developers/publishers to add a drink for themselves in with the price. Blink

Yep, same here with the Euro people.

US: 15 dollar (currently about 12 Euro)
EU: 15 euro

UK: 16 pound (currently about 20 Euro)

So, yes with current exchange rates, the UK people are worst off and the US people get best bang for their buck.

Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2014-12-16 14:43:44 UTC
Billy TwoMirrors wrote:
Ah! I see that Americans get it cheaper than the British.

Actually, I'm British. I just don't live in UK/Europe, so I get the US prices.
12Next page