These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0

First post
Author
Jim Elliot
Divorce Attorneys
#341 - 2014-12-12 15:33:34 UTC
lol where do these numbers come from? You think giving a ship like the pest +40cpu/500pg is going to make it viable? If i want a tank with more than 100kehp i'm stuck doing 700dps. Megas do 12-1300 with a tank of that size.

Lets drop the nostalgia and just come to the realization that eve is acting like a F2P MMO: Nerf the old and buff whatever the latest expansion highlights to keep players spending money and chasing a new endgame.
Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#342 - 2014-12-12 22:17:37 UTC
Jim Elliot wrote:
lol where do these numbers come from? You think giving a ship like the pest +40cpu/500pg is going to make it viable? If i want a tank with more than 100kehp i'm stuck doing 700dps. Megas do 12-1300 with a tank of that size.

Lets drop the nostalgia and just come to the realization that eve is acting like a F2P MMO: Nerf the old and buff whatever the latest expansion highlights to keep players spending money and chasing a new endgame.

In many cases a buff to CPU and grid is close to what certain hulls need to be more competitive, in other cases it isn't, which is why James has paid attention to most of the stats of the hulls. The discussion has been pretty comprehensive overall, with attention also paid to battleship sized modules, base hull stats, an exploration of possible fits, and theory crafting over possible role changes for ships.

For the most part this is just some fun meta-game theory-crafting and I don't expect that CCP would ever derive potential changes from this discussion. They do, however, seem to be aware that battleships are unpopular and have been for some time, even before the warp speed changes. I think what a discussion like this does is make CCP aware of what the player base feels are the deficiencies that battleships suffer, which is going to be relevant when or if they do decide to give battleships another balance pass.

If you've got a suggestion on what you think would help the tempest hull, please add to the discussion here.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#343 - 2014-12-13 01:02:53 UTC
Jim Elliot wrote:

People need to stop just looking at DPS numbers alone.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#344 - 2014-12-15 14:40:26 UTC
This is a fix to battleships, ONLY if their previous role and relative relationship to other ship classes is what CCP wants.

These ideas, while admittedly detailed and well intentioned, feel to me like an effort to restore the BS class back to it's previous job.

I believe CCP's recent actions do not support this.

CCP's recent actions, if anything, would seem to support weening the playerbase away from using these as they have been in the past.

It is hard to say where the intentions are pointing, but it seems likely that they have been freed of previous responsibilities for a reason.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#345 - 2014-12-15 17:37:05 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
This is a fix to battleships, ONLY if their previous role and relative relationship to other ship classes is what CCP wants.

These ideas, while admittedly detailed and well intentioned, feel to me like an effort to restore the BS class back to it's previous job.

CCP's recent actions, if anything, would seem to support weening the playerbase away from using these as they have been in the past.

It is hard to say where the intentions are pointing, but it seems likely that they have been freed of previous responsibilities for a reason.

I say again. Give me any statement by CCP that says battleships aren't supposed to be a viable mainline, fleet combat doctrine and somewhat capable of roaming and I will concede the whole argument.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#346 - 2014-12-15 17:50:15 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

I say again. Give me any statement by CCP that says battleships aren't supposed to be a viable mainline, fleet combat doctrine and somewhat capable of roaming and I will concede the whole argument.

It is unlikely we will see any such statement.

The reason being, our community has demonstrated an ability to spin things in bizarre ways, when confronted with official statements, reported details of internal emails, or even rumors.
We don't have a great track record, when it comes to showing patience either. A heads up that we should expect something will probably not show up till they feel secure in being able to produce results, I suspect.

I would expect nothing until they feel ready to announce their plans, which will probably be shortly before they are ready to go live with them.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#347 - 2014-12-15 18:18:04 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

It can still do all of that, just possibly not exactly as good as you want them to. Fleet of BS still engage each others mostly in conlicts where some sides can't afford tengu doctrines. They can also roam as long as you don't care too much about warping at 2 AU/s. They need support because they can't deal with the smallest target but that is to be expected from large ships.

They have some issue that limit their usage (bombs for example) downright odd weapon system behavior (missile application is somewhat reversed) and potentially the scan res point where for some reasons, not only are the smaller ship harder to lock because they are smaller (that part makes sense), they are also harder to lock on because the sensor suite on the larger ships somehow can't be as potent at the one on smallish frigates. Somehow the targetting system of a merlin could not be fitted inside a Rokh...

The issue is that no matter how much we buff their fitting so they can mount a bigger tank, it will only push the problem a few minutes later in game. If the Rokh can stand a bomber wave, the second wave will finish them off unless you are overpacked with logi to bring everybody back to full HP. The cruiser gang will still outrun you even if you fitted warp speed mods on extra slots because they align and get into warp a few seconds before you. They just have to choose their routes to take as many short warp as possible over the longest warp because that's where they would gain time over you.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#348 - 2014-12-15 18:23:30 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
The cruiser gang will still outrun you even if you fitted warp speed mods on extra slots because they align and get into warp a few seconds before you. They just have to choose their routes to take as many short warp as possible over the longest warp because that's where they would gain time over you.

Gotta disagree with this one. Battleships flown well don't have many issues in keeping up with fast moving fleets.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#349 - 2014-12-15 18:40:15 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:
The cruiser gang will still outrun you even if you fitted warp speed mods on extra slots because they align and get into warp a few seconds before you. They just have to choose their routes to take as many short warp as possible over the longest warp because that's where they would gain time over you.

Gotta disagree with this one. Battleships flown well don't have many issues in keeping up with fast moving fleets.

You are well know for being willing to pay the price to accomplish this while most people don't want to. Your nanofibers and warp speed mods take the space that could be filled with damage mods, plates and hardeners. Your ascendency set could be copied by the cruisers if they wanted to stay faster too. People say BS can't roam because they are whales when fitted like armor plated whales while you go out of your way to fit an extra set of sails and strap a turbine on their back. The BS has a lot of potential because of the large amount of slots on it but it's drawback (something all ships have) a much less likely to be looked over contrary to other ships. People evaluate them on the same basis they evaluate cruisers for example and find them lacking.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#350 - 2014-12-15 18:47:55 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:

You are well know for being willing to pay the price to accomplish this while most people don't want to. Your nanofibers and warp speed mods take the space that could be filled with damage mods, plates and hardeners. Your ascendency set could be copied by the cruisers if they wanted to stay faster too. People say BS can't roam because they are whales when fitted like armor plated whales while you go out of your way to fit an extra set of sails and strap a turbine on their back. The BS has a lot of potential because of the large amount of slots on it but it's drawback (something all ships have) a much less likely to be looked over contrary to other ships. People evaluate them on the same basis they evaluate cruisers for example and find them lacking.

People do silly things like that. Another example is their refusal to deliberately use the smaller sized large guns even though you have the fitting room for the biggest high damage ones.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#351 - 2014-12-15 19:29:48 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
People do silly things like that. Another example is their refusal to deliberately use the smaller sized large guns even though you have the fitting room for the biggest high damage ones.

Sometimes I wonder if you put sarcasm into your line of thinking or not?!

Even if you put the largest possible guns on a battleship and the obligatory propulsion + tank, you still face the problem you cannot hit anything small with them.

Let's take the Rokh as a posterchild railboat here. You should have no problem whatsoever to fit a full rack of 425mm railguns on that ship + shieldtank - be it buffer for logi if you have that.

Let's say you face an Interceptor gang zooming around the field. The ceptor gang can leave whenever they want and your turrets won't hit any of them while they can sink you and your logi with impunity.

You may recall that you could bust a gatecamp of smaller ships with some stress to your tanking mods and win.

Either folks are even more risk averse then before or the tools are lacking.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#352 - 2014-12-15 19:42:17 UTC
James dear,
finally I got the time to look over your values and so far I like what I see.

Let me add a few comments on ships that I can sit in. Your doc takes very carefull into account where all ships are lacking and without making them "odd" you pinpoint exactly where I would point my finger on.

It is not a must but if you take "common" fits into account for the "attack" line, you sould know that especially the Hyperion, the Apocalypse and the Raven want to fit a mwd.

The Apocalypse will make this more apperent and losing 25% capacitor can make megabeam lasers taxing.

The Rohk still has no reason to have a singature radius of a small planet and 475 or even 465mm should be large enough.

The Scorpion is such an oddity. When I started she already was that large Blackbird but upon reason a little history, she used to be a turret boat.

I have no objections on the rest of the Amarr or Gallente lineup and you know I don't fly minmatar, so I cannot comment of them.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#353 - 2014-12-15 19:54:04 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Even if you put the largest possible guns on a battleship and the obligatory propulsion + tank, you still face the problem you cannot hit anything small with them.

Let's take the Rokh as a posterchild railboat here. You should have no problem whatsoever to fit a full rack of 425mm railguns on that ship + shieldtank - be it buffer for logi if you have that.

Let's say you face an Interceptor gang zooming around the field. The ceptor gang can leave whenever they want and your turrets won't hit any of them while they can sink you and your logi with impunity.

You may recall that you could bust a gatecamp of smaller ships with some stress to your tanking mods and win.

Refusal to use smaller large guns mean people don't want to use ions/electron/350/dual 250mm rail ...

I admit I'm usually guilty of this but then again, I never said I was good at fitting ships.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#354 - 2014-12-15 20:01:37 UTC
As far as the rokh: I haven't yet tweaked it's signature radius, but most configurations would have it shield rigged and with an extender or two for pvp, right? This will push it over the critical point for tracking based on sig in almost every case of PVP fits. It also does have the strongest buffer of any t1 hull, and the highest sig. I'm not quite ready to suggest a value I'm happy with on this, just like I'm still looking for a way to make the tempest more flavorful and do something interesting with the scorpion.

Current thinking on the scorpion:
Lots and lots of CPU and cap to free up the lows and PG for either a strong set of armor or neuts, or to have a smaller number of uberjams if shield tanked.
Add in a tank that went from very weak to medium strong, and the changes to scan res and lock range to make applying the long range ECM easier and it may be viable.

Tempest:
I'm of two minds:
1: Shift one utility high to a mid, and drop the base signature just a touch more to make it a shield attack ship with medium-high DPS and multiple tracking enhancers and nanos to make it a powerful midrange combatant and possibly make shield-arty pests viable for the less rich blocks.

2: Increase the signature a touch and the speed and agility such that it would still be attack battleship speeds and agility with a single plate fit (at perfect skills), to encourage it's position as a kitey, unpredictable nuisance, perfect for hit and fade and other skirmishing tactics and the battleship which will have range control if no tackle is applied.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#355 - 2014-12-15 20:14:36 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
As far as the rokh: I haven't yet tweaked it's signature radius, but most configurations would have it shield rigged and with an extender or two for pvp, right? This will push it over the critical point for tracking based on sig in almost every case of PVP fits. It also does have the strongest buffer of any t1 hull, and the highest sig. I'm not quite ready to suggest a value I'm happy with on this, just like I'm still looking for a way to make the tempest more flavorful and do something interesting with the scorpion.

Current thinking on the scorpion:
Lots and lots of CPU and cap to free up the lows and PG for either a strong set of armor or neuts, or to have a smaller number of uberjams if shield tanked.
Add in a tank that went from very weak to medium strong, and the changes to scan res and lock range to make applying the long range ECM easier and it may be viable.

Tempest:
I'm of two minds:
1: Shift one utility high to a mid, and drop the base signature just a touch more to make it a shield attack ship with medium-high DPS and multiple tracking enhancers and nanos to make it a powerful midrange combatant and possibly make shield-arty pests viable for the less rich blocks.

2: Increase the signature a touch and the speed and agility such that it would still be attack battleship speeds and agility with a single plate fit (at perfect skills), to encourage it's position as a kitey, unpredictable nuisance, perfect for hit and fade and other skirmishing tactics and the battleship which will have range control if no tackle is applied.

I'm pretty sure 2 is covered by tornados...
Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#356 - 2014-12-15 21:16:33 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

What evidence do you have to support this? What else would CCP be doing with battleships? All that most of the people want here is to see battleships be something that could be a good choice for solo, small gang, and fleet work, along with PVE activity, not necessarily the best choice, but a viable one. Something that where the benefits are worth the drawbacks of bringing one.

If I were do venture a guess as to why battleships are what they are right now, I'd say that CCP probably has a mathematical model that they use to construct ships. The model probably takes into account factors like sig and speed tanking (which battleships don't really do against other subcaps) and is mildly broken at the end. Add in other changes, like some of the speed tweaks to smaller ships and the 50% MWD sig bonus and battleship gun tracking decreases a bit.

It's probably worthwhile to point out that battleships were changed almost a year and a half ago now and a lot has changed since then.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#357 - 2014-12-15 21:21:51 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

For cepters its missiles you want, a rapid light missile raven for example is downright deadly to cepters and bombers. My point is the smaller sized large weapons are ignored by the very people who complain about poor tracking. You can get suprisingly good tracking out of electons for example.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#358 - 2014-12-15 21:27:33 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

What evidence do you have to support this? What else would CCP be doing with battleships? All that most of the people want here is to see battleships be something that could be a good choice for solo, small gang, and fleet work, along with PVE activity, not necessarily the best choice, but a viable one. Something that where the benefits are worth the drawbacks of bringing one.

If I were do venture a guess as to why battleships are what they are right now, I'd say that CCP probably has a mathematical model that they use to construct ships. The model probably takes into account factors like sig and speed tanking (which battleships don't really do against other subcaps) and is mildly broken at the end. Add in other changes, like some of the speed tweaks to smaller ships and the 50% MWD sig bonus and battleship gun tracking decreases a bit.

It's probably worthwhile to point out that battleships were changed almost a year and a half ago now and a lot has changed since then.

They will always have trouble solo unless you make them able to easily dispatch frigs and that is not happening.

They work in small gangs except people would rather warp faster and apply better than have extra buffer and raw dps.

They work in large fleet except :bombs: but that is not a BS problem.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#359 - 2014-12-15 21:39:22 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Evidence?

CCP would have to undo or effectively negate several changes to cruisers as well as BS class ships to restore them into their past role.

The slow warp speed, the effectiveness of the T2 cruisers, and keep the T3 boats in mind as well.

Fleet action? Define fleet to allow slower ships, and they can still participate. Heck, anyplace where a cap ship could be expected, they can certainly be useful too.

Roams, well, that is a different matter.
Unless the roam is slow enough to accommodate that warp speed, they won't arrive till after the fact in many cases.

Do not mistake my words, I am not declaring them obsolete, but I believe we are witness to foreshadowing a change for them into a new role.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#360 - 2014-12-15 23:07:04 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Refusal to use smaller large guns mean people don't want to use ions/electron/350/dual 250mm rail ...

I admit I'm usually guilty of this but then again, I never said I was good at fitting ships.

I do understand. On one of my Apocalype fits I use smaller large pulses so I can fit two large reps or Ion blasters on a Navy Dominix fit.

There is nothing wrong with that. We have to make the same choices for smaller ships. One of the problems of large guns is that even the smaller model won't gain you much.

baltec1 wrote:
For cepters its missiles you want, a rapid light missile raven for example is downright deadly to cepters and bombers. My point is the smaller sized large weapons are ignored by the very people who complain about poor tracking. You can get suprisingly good tracking out of electons for example.

I didn't say you don't. You should also know that I don't always get to choose what I will be facing since I don't have a say in "doctrines".
I do wander in a boat and time of my choosing and have to deal what people throw at me.

But we can agree on that most of the fellas will fit for the occasion or just bail. That is what I take from my short years of experience.
Only every now and then you have an amazing fight that fits your boat and fitting perfectly.