These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

My first post and PvP experience.

Author
Menamanama
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-12-14 20:59:04 UTC
I think I have been playing for about 6 weeks now and decided to go down the exploration route. I have made about 6 trips into worm holes/null sector space. The highlight was my tourist trip to visit the titan grave site from that big battle. All of those trips I spent hiding/running from other players. So I have made enough for an Aestero and last night I buy one and pack my clone's head full of implants. I have about half my total wealth packed into this ship so I am a bit apprehensive.

I scan down a wormhole and start hacking down a data site. Someone types into local (which I didnt know you could do in wormhole space) asking if there was someone in system and that he had lost his probes and couldnt get out and had been stuck for 3 hours. He wants to buy probes off me or to know if I came from highsec. I am pretty suspicious and am sitting in my sexy new ship thinking I dont want to lose it. So I tell him that I am not going to sell him my expensive new SOE probes and that if he uncloaks and proves he is in an imicus I will help him out. I ask him how much he has onboard and he says 115 million. He uncloaks and is an imicus.

I try to copy the worm hole location into local for him but couldn't figure out how. So I invited him to join a fleet. I warp to him and have him sitting in my sites wondering if I should take him down, but then decided I didnt want to be a prick. So warped to the exit and tell him to warp to my location.

I message him later on and he had got out and sold the goods. He told me he had made a donation and aplogised it couldnt be more but he was saving for a plex. In the event he gave me 10 miilion which is quite a bit for a noob like me.

I dont know if I would have made more killing him and looting his smoking corpse, but I think I still did the right thing by a fellow explorer.

I know it wasnt PvP in a traditional combat sense but I loved the interaction and think it is what MMO is all about.

I was wondering if anyone else would have helped him, or what I did was strange in the dark universe that is Eve?
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#2 - 2014-12-14 21:05:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Karl Hobb
It really depends. If I was playing my exploration character I'd say there's a 50/50 chance I would have helped them out (over simply ignoring them) since I fly a pure cov ops without combat capability. If I was flying this character I would have blown them up without comment, if possible. What you did isn't entirely strange, though, people help out strangers all the time. It's just not as commonplace as killing them.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-12-14 21:48:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
I have liberated several new players from their wormhole prisons. It can be fun to give people a hand. Here's an example.

PS you can't copy a location into local, but you can drag it into your cargo (shift+drag to copy) and then jettison it for them.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Regnag Leppod
Doomheim
#4 - 2014-12-14 21:59:30 UTC
That was really nice of you, however the majority of the Eve community will now forever view you as weak and unworthy of anything but ridicule and hate. Heaven forbid someone actually help another player out in this game.
Cosmic Girl96
New Mecca Industries
#5 - 2014-12-14 22:47:04 UTC
Regnag Leppod wrote:
That was really nice of you, however the majority of the Eve community will now forever view you as weak and unworthy of anything but ridicule and hate. Heaven forbid someone actually help another player out in this game.

Well I for one applaud you for being nice to another new player and helping them out.

*Grabs Menamanama for a big hug and squishes her head against her giant boobs*
Menamanama
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-12-14 22:58:44 UTC
Maybe I should start up a Noob Rescue Ranger service.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2014-12-14 23:05:14 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
I have liberated several new players from their wormhole prisons. It can be fun to give people a hand. Here's an example.

PS you can't copy a location into local, but you can drag it into your cargo (shift+drag to copy) and then jettison it for them.

That was one of my favourite threads of the year, cheers for lilinking it.

And op, nice work.
Not everyone has mean intentions, last night we spent a couple of hours ripping the amarr station suspect baiters apart,
you know,
cos we're nice like thatPirate
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#8 - 2014-12-15 01:36:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Regnag Leppod wrote:
...the majority of the Eve community will now forever view you as weak and unworthy of anything but ridicule and hate...

You have data to support your claim?

OP, nice thing you did. Nice actually happens a lot in this game.

If I just came across them I'd kill them. But if they asked for help, I think you did what many people in eve would do. He'll lose that Imicus at some point anyway (as you will your new shiny Astero), so whether it's on your kills or someone else's is no matter really.

Helping someone out that asked for it makes you a pretty cool person in my book (but I'll still try to kill you if we ever meet).
Iyokus Patrouette
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-12-15 05:59:32 UTC
I would have glanced at his employment history and depending on the age of the character I would have helped him leave (catch and release) or Killed him outright for losing probes in this age of scanning where i honestly thought it was now impossible to lose them.

Of course I see someone asking for help in local in wormholes my eyebrows raise in suspicion and i make damned sure i have a response to the potential bait. my impulsive nature has had a habit of landing me in some less than favourable situations :)

But overall i think you did the right thing. Maybe if he was in something REALLY shiny i would have said "nnnooo you should have popped him!"

---- Advocate for the initiation of purple coloured wormholes----

Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-12-15 07:03:22 UTC
I have done that before.

I remember a newbro asking for help being stuck in a wh. Asked which system he entered the hole, scanned it down fleeted him and he was able to leave.

It is ok to blow people up and it is ok to help people. Doing the one instead of the other does not make you a good or bad person it is just your style of play. For some reason people consider me to be a ****... what they don't know some of these newbros i blow up. I give them back double what they lost and explain what went wrong and what they could have done.

So... Play the game you want to play how you want to play. Some might dislike it some might like it, others do not care. All that matters is your own enjoyment you get out of it.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2014-12-15 07:06:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Regnag Leppod wrote:

Incorrect.

It is the general assumption because it is only stories that get reported on in EVE. It is actually very small percentage of people that scam people and cause general mayhem. Majority of EVE is pretty much good naturedand more interested in community building and peace.

I mean.... who really wants to hear about people helping each other when there is a story about somebody screwing somebody over for Billions. Makes for much more interesting news, just like RL. Bad news sells.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Captain Stupid
Swiss Army Spoons
#12 - 2014-12-15 07:25:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Stupid
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Regnag Leppod wrote:

Incorrect.

It is the general assumption because it is only stories that get reported on in EVE. It is actually very small percentage of people that scam people and cause general mayhem. Majority of EVE is pretty much good naturedand more interested in community building and peace.

I mean.... how really want to hear about people helping each other when there is a story about somebody screwing somebody over for Billions. Makes for much more interesting news, just like RL. Bad news sells.

Wait, Cannibal Kane being nice and promoting niceness? What world did I stumble in to? Blink

(He is right though, there's a lot more nice people in this game than you realise)
Skandel
Doomheim
#13 - 2014-12-15 11:48:49 UTC
Cosmic Girl96 wrote:

*Grabs Menamanama for a big hug and squishes her head against her giant boobs*

That's possibly the most incredible portrait ever. Semi-skimmed too. Mmm.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#14 - 2014-12-15 12:17:38 UTC
I'd have podded him. For the lols.
Let's face it, pretty much everyone is out to screw you in game. If they aren't, they are just better at hiding the fact that they actually are.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.