These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Rhea Feedback

First post First post
Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#261 - 2014-12-09 18:51:44 UTC
Kate Mikoyan wrote:
CCP - I'm continually impressed by your work and the game. While I'm still fiddling around and it will take a little to get use to, I'm a fan of your continual improvements.

Possible suggestion for the color of the overview? I see an option for the type of ship you're flying.

Would it be possible to have an option to match the part of space we're flying in?

Also - I don't know where development suggestions might go so I'll throw it in here. Would it also be possible to have an option when setting waypoints etc to have "insert waypoint here".

So if I have a 30 jump route and want to stop 1/2 way - I can add a waypoint that's already part of the route without it adding it after the final destination?

I had the same though actually, as an upgrade later on. That being the option to have EVE automatically chose the UI color scheme based on what would contrast the best with whatever space you happen to be in at the time.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Sizeof Void
Ninja Suicide Squadron
#262 - 2014-12-09 18:52:52 UTC
Please add button to disable tooltips.

They still get in the way, when doing some common activities such as moving things around in hangers.

Thank you.
Sizeof Void
Ninja Suicide Squadron
#263 - 2014-12-09 19:08:44 UTC
Space backgrounds are much too bright. It is becoming more difficult to find a camera orientation where the background is sufficiently dark to make certain that transparent UI elements (ex. capacitor) are easily visible.

Technically speaking, the black levels look too high - like a bad transfer from old NTSC video.
Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#264 - 2014-12-09 19:14:56 UTC
New map is great, but has 0 functionality for now. Tracking camera is a must. Also there must be some way to show our current route.
It must be merged with:
-d-scan
-probing
-overlay scanner?
-bookmarks? (i would like it better to be shown on overview, not all but choosen ones).

So we have now strategic and tactical layer showed at once. Now all we need is third: route layer (like flat map in dotlan).
Overall really great start to do something big with one of most important tool in this game. I even put it in smalll version on lower right corner, it's changing the reception of traveling. Systems are no longer dots on map. I can see my ship, its position on system map, what is the position of systems regards to other ones. All of it without For a person who travels a lot, like me, this is amazing change. Need some polish ofc.

Also i took my crow for manual flying over Amarr Emperors. When i manually steering my ship it decelerate when turning, a bug?

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

Josef Djugashvilis
#265 - 2014-12-09 19:16:31 UTC
Have the usual..."whatever it is, I want to be able to turn it off"

and , "Rhea has totally ruined my game dude, so I and my zillion alts are going to rage quit"

made any appearances yet?

This is not a signature.

Tara Keel
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#266 - 2014-12-09 19:30:16 UTC
Please CCP, I like the new icons just fine. Both in station and in space. But why does your design division think its a good idea to make market window and order window flash to show which is active. After having spent a few hours doing station trading I have a blinding headache and I barely can stand to look at my displays anymore.

You really should make all of this adjustable and customizable as it does not provide a good player experience now. I feel like I am continuously eyeballing a kaleidoscope.

Its really really really horrible and not good for anyone with epilepsy.

Please change this or give us an option to adjust.
Guttripper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#267 - 2014-12-09 19:30:56 UTC
In my waning days of playing EverQuest nearly ten years ago, Sony allowed the players to create elaborately pretty interface settings. My bard had a musical flavor, my druid had a forest designed flavor, my shadow knight had a dark, death themed flavor, etc: all designed with a full color pallet plus under the sun. Fast forward to today and it seems to me we're moving backwards. This monochrome color scheme is cold and sterile. What is the point of having a new lighting systems to brighten ships when the surroundings are dull and flat?

Perhaps I've been ~spoiled~ growing up watching gaming systems bragging about brighter color schemes in greater and greater pixels While I have not kept up with today's newest gaming machines, buying old computer games through GOG and watching an ancient color pallet work on these classics without all the pop-ups, tool tips, and other modern conveniences telling me this button does this because that apparently is the new style now-a-days. Are gamers regressing or do developers think gamers are too stupid to remember what something does without being told in a cold, dull, monochrome, tool tipped pop-up?

I prefer my older games to this "new" stuff.
Nicolas Quasar
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#268 - 2014-12-09 19:39:32 UTC
Awful update. Max graphic properties. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v726mttvb07wt0/aba.png?dl=0
Abaddon engeens
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#269 - 2014-12-09 19:39:59 UTC
Sizeof Void wrote:
Space backgrounds are much too bright. It is becoming more difficult to find a camera orientation where the background is sufficiently dark to make certain that transparent UI elements (ex. capacitor) are easily visible.

Technically speaking, the black levels look too high - like a bad transfer from old NTSC video.

I spent some time last night going through all the nebula maps and identifying several regions' nebulae that are problematic for UI interaction. This list has been passed along to the right people.

As far as black levels, please submit a bug report and include a screen shot. You can add my name to the bug report and I will take a look.

I certainly have not seen black level issues of any kind with our nebula maps, and I do know what to look for, but a picture would help me recognize what you're identifying as that.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Phice Anxu
Genetix Research Corporation
#270 - 2014-12-09 19:40:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Phice Anxu
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
BadAssMcKill wrote:

I'd say its hardly questionable when there's 7 pages of people complaining

Feedback is better than any study that says otherwise

Actually studies have shown that feedback is actually a pretty useless indicator of what people really want. What it is, however, is an excellent indicator of what people think they want.

As Malcolm Gladwell says
Quote:
blablablabla

There was also some feedback about Windows 8 where some users wanted back the... sorry, think that they wanted back the startup button and permanent old desktop. According to this "logic", Microsoft didn't add them. After all, they just think they still want them...

Fact is, it wasn't just a thought and Windows 10 won't have the same deficiency.

Offer the choice to the user don't really cost much but can avoid serious problems, as everyone is different. It is not a good policy to act with the 0-70% (or whatever) satisfaction in mind, when it is possible to be close of the perfect score for a low cost.

I would love to see EvE offering customization for the neocom icons and the sound, by extracting the needed files of the .stuff ressources files (and so making them definitively external), and we would just have to replace them with what we want, as long that we respect few obligations (vectorized images, etc.).

Same about the UI color thing. No one can dare say that the old sliders was too much to maintain... Even just a value in a xml file would make me happy, as long that I can get rid of the dark themes. I use my computer with low brightness, so now the UI is just difficult to read, and as I don't play fullscreen for practical reasons, I can't just raise it to compensate. Why did CCP change it while it wasn't broken ?
Ynci De'Sinaar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#271 - 2014-12-09 19:41:09 UTC
OMG the background for the map actually is space proper! Just travelling and realised that - LOL
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#272 - 2014-12-09 19:41:10 UTC
Guttripper wrote:
In my waning days of playing EverQuest nearly ten years ago, Sony allowed the players to create elaborately pretty interface settings. My bard had a musical flavor, my druid had a forest designed flavor, my shadow knight had a dark, death themed flavor, etc: all designed with a full color pallet plus under the sun. Fast forward to today and it seems to me we're moving backwards. This monochrome color scheme is cold and sterile. What is the point of having a new lighting systems to brighten ships when the surroundings are dull and flat?

Perhaps I've been ~spoiled~ growing up watching gaming systems bragging about brighter color schemes in greater and greater pixels While I have not kept up with today's newest gaming machines, buying old computer games through GOG and watching an ancient color pallet work on these classics without all the pop-ups, tool tips, and other modern conveniences telling me this button does this because that apparently is the new style now-a-days. Are gamers regressing or do developers think gamers are too stupid to remember what something does without being told in a cold, dull, monochrome, tool tipped pop-up?

I prefer my older games to this "new" stuff.

Amen.
Louise Beethoven
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#273 - 2014-12-09 19:41:47 UTC
The new UI gave me dizziness, then motion-sickness, then a headache... now I'm completely paralyzed for life. My corp says the same, some of 'em been rushed to the emergency room as we speak. Thanks CCP.

Who you callin' a lily-livered hypochondriac? Evil
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#274 - 2014-12-09 19:42:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Well done guys

The new UI is ******* horrible.

Brackets are hidden by windows still.

Eclectic blur levels ramping up and down all over the place.

What a bunch of ******* shite.

EDIT 1 - At least i can turn the blur off and have it pretty much the same as it was before. Congratulations on time well spent.

EDIT 2 - So i set my transparency to 50% on carbon, kindly, how do i stop the transparency from changing when i use a window? So annoying and intrusive. Whats hte point in giving us a transparency control if the game just ignores it constantly? Distracting ****.

EDIT 3 - Icons and rendering isnt usually something id comment on but my garmur seems to be a little too high contrast. Dunno about the rest of them.
Saisin
Chao3's Rogue Operatives Corp
#275 - 2014-12-09 19:43:45 UTC
We are starting to get used to good stuff at each release. It is hard to keep posting without sounding like a CCP fanboy, but I must say I like the new look and feel of the UI, and the ability to have it automatically adjust to the ship you fly. Bravo again for the removal of clone updates! Love the new Falcon and the new ships look and feel, and I am looking forward to explore the shattered wh and Thera... I also really like that you can now really see the nodes that are blocked during the hacking minigame.
Overall another A release!

Vote Borat Guereen for CSM XII

Check out the Minarchist Space Project

Kaylin Drake
Profound Destiny
#276 - 2014-12-09 19:47:14 UTC
I really don't like that PBR makes ship details so washed out and faded. I think it's a good technology but it feels like it wasn't utilized right and should have been delayed until it works properly. It looks like a huge step back on both my computers (and one is very new and everything on max). The resolution of ships is so low looking compared to before, and so many details have disappeared/been lost. This is across the board on most ships. Also black is really grey (and light grey in some cases) now which takes away from some design elements.

Side by side this is not an improvement for many ships. You showcased the megathron and drake in your dev blog, two that I think lost a lot of detail.. the older versions look so much better. I love the gold on the amarr ships, but even on some (like the abaddon) it looks like whittled tinfoil instead of metal.

Please don't redesign ships.. I cringe whenever you do. People get attached to their ships. Just bring back the details and lower the shine effect a bit. I am really disappointed with PBR in this iteration and hope that this is not left as is for long.

The UI will take time to get used to, but I think it's nice to have options and my eyes will adjust to the new icons. So I think overall that feels like a good change.

Everything else I really find exciting and interesting. Except for BPR, you guys have done such an impressive job this year.
Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
#277 - 2014-12-09 19:47:20 UTC
"My kid played your game in the last 4 hours and I found him on the floor with foam on his mouth"

This is the same drama people were screaming when the jump animation was added. Lawsuits! Seizures! Get a grip. If the slight fading of a box is going to send you into a mouth-foaming seizure, EVE isn't the game for you. The jump animation is far more disorienting. How does someone who faints at a box fading even play this game? Or operate in a fleet? If some guy in a battle is going to fall out of his chair at the first sight of flashing lights, I hope he's on someone else's team. EVE is filled with dizzying effects and flashing elements. The fading UI box should be the least of your worries. Imo.

So far, I'm enjoying the new UI. Were I given the option of a sidebar with icons in color vs. the monochrome I have now, would I go back to the color version? Yeah, probably. I don't dislike this version. It's just new. If you had your sidebar set to the smallest setting (like I did) the sidebar icons sort of all looked like identical squares post-patch. By widening the bar by just a bit, the icons are much more distinguishable. It's less painful now. My favorite thing about the new UI is the performance. I don't know how or why but everything across all my clients is (so far) much smoother. There used to be a lag sometimes but since the patch everything has been working effortlessly. Give me something that works well and you can color it whatever color you want to. I'll click on an icon of a chocolate cow if it works best.

I like the color schemes. I'm using different schemes on different accounts based on the histories of the characters.

I like the map. A lot. I do wish my route was more easily ascertained. Once it's fully-functional, it appears superior to the old map in every way. It also happens to be beautiful.

And since I'm mostly in Amarr space, flying Amarr ships, I don't even dislike the lighting. I think it looks rather good on my ships, actually. I've seen a few shiny Gallente ships though that gave me pause and some Caldari ships like the Golem that do, unfortunately, look a little plastic.

YK
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#278 - 2014-12-09 19:48:10 UTC  |  Edited by: KIller Wabbit
Dornlin Labiani wrote:
My God.... it's full of Palm Pilot!

That has been nagging me to death for the past few days after getting on Sisi!!! I KNEW I had seen these before. You TOTALLY nailed it! Thank you! LolLolLolLolLol
Tex Steele
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#279 - 2014-12-09 19:51:38 UTC
Hello,

I've been trying to use this new interface for a little while now and have concluded it is useless.

First, how in the world does regression to a 1950's Black and White scheme make it better?

Colored Neo Com icons provide contrast, somethign for hte eye to rest upon, while hte new black and white ones just all blend together, making it difficult to locate one item amongst the clutter. Think of it like a whiteout in a blizzard - I think you get enough snow there to know the effect I'm describing. That doesn't work in a UI - it makes the eyes tired trying to differentiate one thing from another.

By eliminating the color themes and our ability to adjust background colors as needed, you have also removed our ability to provide contrast between the backgrounds and the text. This makes it really difficult for people like me with tired old eyes and bifocals to set the text so that it doesn't blur due to too much or too little contrast. Adjusting the transparency does not help, as the flat blackish grayish background color doesn't work.

I used to use a blue themed background and I could read most of the text on items and numbers and such - it was easy on the eyes instead of hard to read and process the information quickly.

It was CONFIGURABLE. This abomination you have saddled us with is not.

I also noticed that changes in the Selected Item menu when in space. With the new black and white icons that seem smaller than the old ones, and which do not have borders, I suspect that this will make selecting the correct button a LOT harder in the middle of a big fleet fight or small gang PvP where a split second and hitting the right button means the difference between living through the fight or sitting in the station in a new pod.

PLEASE just roll back the UI, give us the old one back, LISTEN to our feedback, MAKE the appropriate changes and then, at a later time, roll out a new UI if you must.

For now, though this UI change makes the game almost unplayable. For someone like me who has played along time and pay cash money for numerous accounts, it really makes me think my money and time would be better invested elsewhere.
oijoijoijoi
Angry Spawn
#280 - 2014-12-09 19:52:33 UTC  |  Edited by: oijoijoijoi
Yonis Kador wrote:
"My kid played your game in the last 4 hours and I found him on the floor with foam on his mouth"

This is the same drama people were screaming when the jump animation was added. Lawsuits! Seizures! Get a grip. If the slight fading of a box is going to send you into a mouth-foaming seizure, EVE isn't the game for you. The jump animation is far more disorienting. How does someone who faints at a box fading even play this game? Or operate in a fleet? If some guy in a battle is going to fall out of his chair at the first sight of flashing lights, I hope he's on someone else's team. EVE is filled with dizzying effects and flashing elements. The fading UI box should be the least of your worries. Imo.

I play with all effects off with low details and zoomed out so I have had no problems before, but I can not turn this fading effect off and it is making me physically sick. I like how arrogant you are, like there is no room for nobody but those who are perfectly healthy in Eve.

btw.: " If some guy in a battle is going to fall out of his chair at the first sight of flashing lights, I hope he's on someone else's team." Been there, done that.