These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Patch download awfully slow - go torrent please !

Author
Anneke Tersis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-12-09 18:21:57 UTC
Hello,

As with all patches, download speed is terribad - 200 ko/s maximum, with many freezes and slowdowns.

Therefore I assume that the download is done from a few (if not only one) centralized sources. Why isn't a torrent protocol implemented in the launcher ? It could only save bandwidth for CCP and would make things smoother for all players.
oohthey ioh
Doomheim
#2 - 2014-12-09 18:36:49 UTC
you are talking about peer to peer.
Gethen Rex
Pro Synergy
#3 - 2014-12-09 18:37:21 UTC
Have the same exact problem, but much slower, barely pulling 20kb ..

They should at least provide an alternative ..
Anneke Tersis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-12-09 18:48:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Anneke Tersis
oohthey ioh wrote:
you are talking about peer to peer.

Yes I am, but it's a technology like any other. Blizzard uses an integrated torrent-based protocol to distribute its WoW patches, for example. This can be put in motion with all due respect to intellectual property and whatnot.
Truatho Bannon
Siegreicher Marsch
#5 - 2014-12-09 20:19:02 UTC
I support this idea. Would make patch day a day I can actually play on. Instead of waiting the 3 to 6 hours download to finish after I go to bed.
Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-12-09 20:44:33 UTC
As long as the port used for incoming peer connections is well documented I am all for this.
Rino007
#7 - 2014-12-09 21:11:35 UTC
I don't think this is a trivial fix, but I'd say be sure that the information can't somehow be changed, and then I'd support this without a doubt.
Veran Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#8 - 2014-12-09 21:14:43 UTC
I had my download in 20mins this morning before work... It was only 1.5gb it was the install that took time.
Anneke Tersis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-12-10 00:59:01 UTC
Veran Nijoba wrote:
I had my download in 20mins this morning before work... It was only 1.5gb it was the install that took time.

"Things work for me because I start my client during breakfast so everything is OK"... seriously, mate? Roll
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#10 - 2014-12-10 01:12:45 UTC
I downloaded the update in about five minutes shortly after the servers came back up. I'm not sure what problem you're having other than slow internet.
Anneke Tersis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-12-10 01:22:57 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I downloaded the update in about five minutes shortly after the servers came back up. I'm not sure what problem you're having other than slow internet.

Read just one post above and meditate for a second. What?
Oh and my bandwidth is around 10 Mb/s (tested daily, believe me).

When hundreds of people download, a large server with a large bandwidth can cope. But as numbers go up it becomes impossible. Two solutions : have everybody waiting/go slow, or multiply the sources. I suggest the second option.
Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2014-12-10 07:27:21 UTC
Anneke Tersis wrote:
Hello,

As with all patches, download speed is terribad - 200 ko/s maximum, with many freezes and slowdowns.

Therefore I assume that the download is done from a few (if not only one) centralized sources. Why isn't a torrent protocol implemented in the launcher ? It could only save bandwidth for CCP and would make things smoother for all players.

Can´t tell that i´m suffering on those problems. I got my patch in 30 min.

But an alternative server for downloading at the patchday would be nice. Or maybe downloading parts of the patches pre patchday.

+1
Eraza
Fuzzyness Enterprizes
#13 - 2014-12-10 11:06:58 UTC
patched two clients, one after the other, not both at once, on a 100mb fiber connection.
first one took 12 HOURS
second client, took 2 MINUTES
so at least near me, there were some significant problems most of the day
Dustpuppy
New Eden Ferengi
#14 - 2014-12-10 12:02:06 UTC
I will check this evening when I am at home if I can create one. Just have to locate the file, learn how to set up a torrent and then let's see
Captain Ryano
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-12-11 22:31:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Ryano
I'd been trying to patch for 48 hours yet I couldn't get more than 3KB/s. Tried repairing and got it to go faster but still only 20KB/s a far cry from my usual speed. Seriously you've had 10+ years to develop a decent patching system and Rheas patch is frankly unacceptable.
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#16 - 2014-12-11 22:46:47 UTC
I dunno i run about 0.066% to 0,1% a second on the last patch, dont know how fast that is but i suspect faster then 200kb/s. was done patching half way through downtime

Not diminishing your plight or belittling your internet connecting capabilties just mentioning it isnt this bad for everyone. Maybe something about your ISP?
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#17 - 2014-12-12 00:09:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
FireFrenzy wrote:
Not diminishing your plight or belittling your internet connecting capabilties just mentioning it isnt this bad for everyone. Maybe something about your ISP?

gonna say this.

If the rest of their stuff is fine and this obvious abnormal behavior m (I am assuming, poster can confirm or deny lol)....almost sounds like for whatever reason something about how ccp sends the data is being throttled.

Which if the case its a bad sign imo. Not a peer to peer fan and will not start up that debate here but if their isp seems to be doing QOS settings that favor peer to peer over what I will call normal and legit traffic from a European if not Icelandic ip block source (I don't know where the file servers are tbh) someone at that isp has a weird view of bandwidth priority. Unless Iceland has replaced say certain Asian areas as ripe areas of potential piracy and badness and I didn't get the memo.
Saberlily Whyteshadow
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2014-12-12 00:58:24 UTC
What CCP can also do is finalize the patch a day before patch day and allow the launcher to pre download the patch running in the background. Come patch day, all CCP have to do is tell the launcher to patch using the downloaded patch. BAM! All we have to do is wait for patch to apply and then log-on and play!
Denali Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-12-12 02:58:24 UTC
I'm stuck with ADSL at 1.5Mbps down. Seriously, that's the best service I can get. I've had to take a proactive approach to Eve patches.

For small patches, I have a little script that (a) kills the Eve client if it's running, then (b) launches a fresh copy of the launcher. This script is run as a Scheduled Task daily, 30 minutes after the end of downtime (1230 UTC, 0530 local). By the time I'm ready to play, the client is patched and ready.

For big patches, like Rhea, this doesn't work. Not only does a 1.6Gb file take ages to download at 1.5Mbps, more often than not it becomes corrupted, and the patch fails. So then I see a big patch coming, I disable that script, and I start the Eve launcher on my computer at work to make sure it's at the same patch level as at home. Then on patch day, I again use my work computer, and my work's big fat data pipe, to get the required patch file. Rhea took about 12 minutes. Then the patch file goes to a thumb drive, sneakernetted home, and the patch copied in.

So, yeah, I think there's room for improvement to Eve's patch mechanic. Better server distribution, peer-to-peer something, having some kind of fault tolerance to correct corrupted data short of redownloading a massive patch, etc.

[N.B. No, I don't get to play Eve at work. But I do have the OK to do what I'm doing for patching, after I explained why and asked nicely.]