These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Rhea, Physically Based Rendering (PBR), DirectX 11

First post
Author
Tahnil
Gunboat Commando
#1 - 2014-12-03 15:08:21 UTC
I‘ve got a question.

In Rhea EVE Online will be updated to PBR, but if I'm not mistaken this is a DirectX 11 Feature. And if I remember right the Mac Client runs under DirectX 9 still:

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/directx-11-in-eve/
Quote:
Does this affect the Mac? No, Mac will continue to use DX9.

(CCP Zorba, Oct‘ 2013)

So is it right that Mac people won‘t get the Physical love they deserve? Sad
The Ludocrat
The Ludocracy
#2 - 2014-12-04 04:27:19 UTC
That is the conclusion I came to as well.

That said, there were, ahem, "improvements" made to the graphics of the Mac version in the past (remember twinkling stars when you were shot? also, blinking ship lights and drone bay forcefields).
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#3 - 2014-12-04 12:06:01 UTC
Evil

Back to the days locking us Mac players to the "classic" client ey ccp?

Glad I hesitated getting a renewed years subscription.

Any idea when cider can handle the dx 11 stuff?
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2014-12-04 15:30:15 UTC
The physically based rendering is used in DX9 as well as DX11 - it´s not a DX11 specific feature. You will not miss out on it, no worries.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Tahnil
Gunboat Commando
#5 - 2014-12-04 15:31:51 UTC
Thank you, that‘s very good news Blink
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#6 - 2014-12-05 08:41:01 UTC
Damn, /puts foot in mouth.

Mea culpa.
Tahnil
Gunboat Commando
#7 - 2014-12-05 08:53:16 UTC
So what about your yearly subscription now? Big smileBlink
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2014-12-05 16:45:21 UTC
Pak Narhoo wrote:

Mea culpa.

Well, now you're obligated to renew for at least a year! Big smile

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#9 - 2014-12-07 12:16:08 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Pak Narhoo wrote:

Mea culpa.

Well, now you're obligated to renew for at least a year! Big smile

Will do once the (expensive) holidays are over. Oops
Invisusira
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#10 - 2014-12-09 16:34:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Invisusira
How's Mac performance with the new PBR? Any framerate hits? (I'm sitting at work on a Windows machine so can't really test it out here.)
Jon Dekker
Dekker Corporation
#11 - 2014-12-11 18:11:35 UTC
Invisusira wrote:
How's Mac performance with the new PBR? Any framerate hits? (I'm sitting at work on a Windows machine so can't really test it out here.)

It runs very smooth 90+ fps on my hackintosh i7. My graphics card is a GTX 760 4GB, but it's powering 3 24" monitors.

I get strange issues with the character creator and captain's quarters unless I make the textures medium, unfortunately.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#12 - 2014-12-11 18:42:51 UTC
Jon Dekker wrote:
I get strange issues with the character creator and captain's quarters unless I make the textures medium, unfortunately.

That's an old bug related to the large textures reading from unallocated memory, although it went away for a while on my installation. (I used to get wild, phantasmagoric results setting texture quality to high, as the textures were set by whatever was in free memory nearby.) I hope it hasn't come back.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Jon Dekker
Dekker Corporation
#13 - 2014-12-12 00:26:13 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Jon Dekker wrote:

That's an old bug related to the large textures reading from unallocated memory, although it went away for a while on my installation. (I used to get wild, phantasmagoric results setting texture quality to high, as the textures were set by whatever was in free memory nearby.) I hope it hasn't come back.

Yeah, my experience the textures just failed to load, which caused the character's skin to look really dark or the eyes not to have pupils and other strange'ness.

That's interesting you mentioned the textures would load whatever is in free memory. It hasn't happened to me in EVE, but when I played through Wasteland 2 I would sometimes get a full-screen tiled texture instead of the background, or crazy psychadelic versions of alternate textures. It was weird.

BTW, I've heard talk that Microsoft might be open-sourcing the DirectX api. That would be interesting.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#14 - 2014-12-12 00:45:48 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
The physically based rendering is used in DX9 as well as DX11 - it´s not a DX11 specific feature. You will not miss out on it, no worries.

Not really, I am missing out. According to what I saw on the o7 show, we really don't get to see the good stuff unless the settings are set to high. But, due to Cider, that makes my FPS too low to have a playable game.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction