These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solo Destroyer PvP

Author
T Rembranch
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-12-01 15:16:25 UTC
I'm looking to try my hand at solo/small gang pvp and I've always had a love for destroyer hulls. With the new T3 destroyers coming out soon I want to try PvP as a destroyer pilot and move on to T3 destroyers coming out. My only problem is trying to choose which destroyer to PvP with. I know that the thrasher is considered an OP death machine by some, but are there destroyers that are fun to pvp with rather than just minmaxing for the win?
Aerie Evingod
Midwest Miners LLC
#2 - 2014-12-01 15:32:58 UTC
Thrasher is an OP death machine? Ok.

They all have paper tanks. They all have bonus to range.... Yet are too slow to effectively kite. Now if you can get on top of a frigate in an AC thrasher or blaster catalyst you can burn it down before they know what happened. Talwar is pretty bad for solo work. No one expects the rocket Corax since it can tackle... But does **** for DPS. Dragoon bonuses make it pretty lethal to frigates, if it can get into scram/bonuses neut range but it's slow.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#3 - 2014-12-01 17:04:14 UTC
It's very possible to solo in a Dessie. The rail Catalyst is probably the most fun. The fit looks like:

High:
125mm II x 8
Mid:
Limited MWD
SB II
Low:
MFS II x 2
TE II
Rigs:
Hybrid burst
Hybrid collision

325 DPS with faction antimatter before overheating. 11km + 11km for the range. Start off at range (35+ km). If you are in faction warfare where destroyers get used often that should be easy to do with the plexes. Overheat your MWD and approach your target. Begin shooting at optimal plus falloff x 2. (33km for math impaired). Begin overheating at 20 km. At this range you should also double click on a spot in space 30-45 degrees off of your target. Veer off at a slight angle.

Generally what happens is that the target will slap a scram on you and turn off your MWD as you approach. Since you are closing on eachother at 5k - 8k km/hr he will pull a Dukes of Hazard fishtail after you. You'll open the range back up an often be able to turn your MWD back on. All the while he's getting hit hard.

The Catalyst is awesome for a few reasons:
The lightest and fastest destroyer.
It fires every two seconds- very forgiving when trying to apply damage.
You can change ammo in five seconds - huge.

You can get a point on the rail cat. I like the sensor booster since it gives resistance to sensor dampeners. You can't control range anyways. You can also hit out to 50km if needed.
Froggy Storm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2014-12-01 23:13:28 UTC
I love the dragoons but their envelope is far too small to be of any real use. Anything that wants to escape basically can. The Confessor looks very promising with the new small beams. But that said you would need someone else to hold tackle to really take full advantage of the beams in sniper mode.

Personally I think the confessor and others will be best used as two and three man teams. One guy does hard tackle in defense mode while the number 2 pilot snipes and a potential 3rd stays in speed mode to snag the enemy if he tries to make a run for it. But it is (obviously) too early to tell. They may turn into the new answer to the arti claw fleet, anything is possible.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#5 - 2014-12-02 06:09:22 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
[Algos, MSE]

5x 75mm Gatling Rail II (Federation Navy Iridium Charge S)
Small Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Faint Warp Disruptor I
Medium Shield Extender II
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
2x Drone Damage Amplifier II

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
2x Small Core Defense Field Extender I

2x Hammerhead II
3x Hobgoblin II

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#6 - 2014-12-02 06:27:42 UTC
It's hard to fit a scram into any of them because of the restrictive number of midslots dessies have.

The Algos is my preferred one, however, mainly because it can apply damage at a variety of ranges. So if you aren't able to dictate range, you aren't a sitting duck.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#7 - 2014-12-02 06:32:13 UTC
McChicken Combo HalfMayo wrote:
[Algos, MSE]

5x 75mm Gatling Rail II (Federation Navy Iridium Charge S)

Faint Warp Disruptor I
Medium Shield Extender II

Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
2x Drone Damage Amplifier II

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
2x Small Core Defense Field Extender I

2x Hammerhead II
3x Hobgoblin II

You should never fly a shield Algos unless you're in a shield fleet with logi IMO. A hull tank Algos gets the same dps, smaller sig, same speed, and only 1k less EHP but with no resistance hole (so it's actually less than 1k) and most importantly, you get a web to hold targets down and apply your dps more effectively. Something like this:

[Algos, PvP Hull]

Drone Damage Amplifier II
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator

75mm Gatling Rail II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Transverse Bulkhead I

Hammerhead II x2
Hobgoblin II x3
To mare
Advanced Technology
#8 - 2014-12-02 17:32:38 UTC
thrasher is good but it's not the only destroyer worth flying anymore, they are all pretty viable now it just boil down to what is your play style, brawler, kiter, gun, missile, drones, since the first T3 destroyer we get is the amarr one i would start with the Coercer, that ship have impressive dps and range you can make short work of pretty much any frigate that get into point range.

however destroyers target range is pretty limited, they are slow and they have a fat signature so they are easy prey for medium sized guns, they dont have big tanks so they dont really do well against AF, their hunting field is pretty much limited to T1 frigate, other destroyers or interceptor if you will ever be able to catch one.
Paranoid Loyd
#9 - 2014-12-02 17:54:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Here is an unconventional way to do it.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#10 - 2014-12-03 03:33:53 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Here is an unconventional way to do it.

Yeah 10MN AB Destroyers are bad ass. This also works well with the Thrasher, the Thrasher has more range, speed and alpha, but alot less tank.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#11 - 2014-12-03 07:19:27 UTC
I actually find destroyers much harder to solo PvP in than frigates. The good fits (see Cat above for instance) tend to rely on your opponent stuffing up. They can be fun but I usually end a roam feeling that my engagement profile was narrow and that I had to be too selective.

I think I need to work on it a bit.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.