These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Hull Animations in Rhea, what do you think?

Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#1 - 2014-11-30 18:51:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
I"ve been seeing threads pop up here and there about the new hull animations coming to us in Rhea, and opinion seems to vary wildly. We have quite a few news ones heading our way, and some of them are subtle while others are fairly radical compared to what we have seen so far.

The list of new animations includes:

Rook
Blackbird and all of it's variants
All Incursus variants
Confessor
and the Bowhead.

All of these ships (as well as the Eagle) have new hulls also, or are new designs.

How do you think CCP has done with them, both the "traditional" animations and the more intricate animations we are seeing on the Blackbird hulls and especially the Confessor... which will likely prove to be typical of all of the Tech 3 Tactical Cruisers coming into game.

I had been waiting until the animations were pretty much complete and functional to get into this, and judging by whats on Sisi they are just about there.

So what do you think?
Is CCP doing a good job in the animation department?
Are they heading in the right direction with this, or is it pointless... or simply too much?

Obviously, if you don't have access to the test server I wouldn't leave you hanging... you can get a close look at ALL of the new animations coming in Rhea here

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#2 - 2014-11-30 18:59:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Ranger 1 wrote:

So what do you think?

I think that I'm usually zoomed out so far, so often, that I don't remember what ship I'm flying half the time. All I'm looking at is my HUD. So the animations, while interesting and immersive, don't really have an effect on my gameplay experience.

Mr Epeen Cool
Tarpedo
Incursionista
#3 - 2014-11-30 19:05:48 UTC
I'd trade them all for visual shield hit effects dependable on damage type. Or even better - localized damage model (if EVE had localized damage instead of hitpoints grind).
Jonas Kanjus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-11-30 19:14:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonas Kanjus
Tarpedo wrote:
I'd trade them all for visual shield hit effects dependable on damage type. Or even better - localized damage model (if EVE had localized damage instead of hitpoints grind).

I could go for that as well. IMO, it would add some level of realism if the shields were bubbles instead as they are now. As for damage indicators, I would like to see the shield split into 6 parts: Front, back, left, right, top and bottom. As the shields take damage, you will be able to watch as certain shield sections fail and collapse. Any hits to the shields would make that section light up some how. As for armor, watching chunks of it fly off from projectiles and hybrids or start glowing from repeated hits from lasers would some serious eye candy. Once structure/hull is achieved, I'd like to see flames, smoke, and pieces of the space craft missing the further into structure we get.

Heck, I'd dump all what I suggested for being able to target subsystems to disable ships. This would add a whole new mechanic for pirates and bounty hunters. Add some sort of ship tractor to tow the disabled ship back to base/station with or without the pod. Of course, for bounty hunters, we would need a module to disable pod ejections.

Some day, maybe...

My start date to EVE Online: 6/25/2005 8:24:57 AM UTC

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#5 - 2014-11-30 19:16:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Karl Hobb
I just hope they don't prevent me from locking and shooting ASAP. That would suck.

E: To answer the question, I really don't care. I play on the lowest settings anyway.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#6 - 2014-11-30 20:09:57 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
I just hope they don't prevent me from locking and shooting ASAP. That would suck.

E: To answer the question, I really don't care. I play on the lowest settings anyway.

Even on the highest settings you can see the faint skybox edge lines if you look reaallllyyy carefully. It ruins the immersion bigtime when you can see them, and I only really saw it when I was staring at that bright star that has recently showed up. zoomed in and followed it to a corner just to make sure.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#7 - 2014-11-30 20:35:10 UTC
I can see the box around me when I undock. Why didn't they do a sphere? Cry
John E Normus
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#8 - 2014-11-30 20:56:58 UTC
The art department is doing an incredible job. If I had a complaint it would be that the faction ship skins are kind of bland for the most part and the Erebus needs more green.

Really well done art people!

Between Ignorance and Wisdom

Wacktopia
Fleet-Up.com
Keep It Simple Software Group
#9 - 2014-11-30 21:06:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Wacktopia
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

So what do you think?

I think that I'm usually zoomed out so far, so often, that I don't remember what ship I'm flying half the time. All I'm looking at is my HUD. So the animations, while interesting and immersive, don't really have an effect on my gameplay experience.

Mr Epeen Cool

For me that ~10% of the time I'm zoomed in or looking at ships waiting in fleet etc it's 100% worth the eye candy.

Wouldn't be the same game without the pretties. But that's me.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#10 - 2014-11-30 22:26:24 UTC
Hyperion still has no visible drone bay. CCP why you no like hyperion?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#11 - 2014-11-30 23:10:27 UTC
Worth it, especially if they are doing warp animations for any/all (hopefully all) ships. The ships that are getting warp animations, and even the ones that have any animation at all, feel a lot more alive and credible compared to the ones that don't. I feel like the animations make them seem more dynamic and, if I may sound geeky for the moment, real.

Now, I think the real question should be how far should the animations go; should Art stop at merely special functions (bastion, triage/siege, warp, T3 modes, etc.) or should there be more general case animations (like the mechanically scanning array on the Scorpion line and the Stratios)? Should they do both, or one or the other, or neither? My vote is that Art be allowed to expand on ship animations as much as they can, in any direction be it a small moving doodad here or a full-blown "transformers" style animation there.

Yes, CCP is doing a pretty damn good job on the animations. Yes, it's a good direction, no it's not pointless...and I honestly hope there is more...much more!

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Mharius Skjem
Guardians of the Underworld
#12 - 2014-11-30 23:10:43 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
I"ve been seeing threads pop up here and there about the new hull animations coming to us in Rhea, and opinion seems to vary wildly. We have quite a few news ones heading our way, and some of them are subtle while others are fairly radical compared to what we have seen so far.

The list of new animations includes:

Rook
Blackbird and all of it's variants
All Incursus variants
Confessor
and the Bowhead.

All of these ships (as well as the Eagle) have new hulls also, or are new designs.

How do you think CCP has done with them, both the "traditional" animations and the more intricate animations we are seeing on the Blackbird hulls and especially the Confessor... which will likely prove to be typical of all of the Tech 3 Tactical Cruisers coming into game.

I had been waiting until the animations were pretty much complete and functional to get into this, and judging by whats on Sisi they are just about there.

So what do you think?
Is CCP doing a good job in the animation department?
Are they heading in the right direction with this, or is it pointless... or simply too much?

Obviously, if you don't have access to the test server I wouldn't leave you hanging... you can get a close look at ALL of the new animations coming in Rhea here

I'd like to see them finish of the crucifier and turn it the right way up.

A recovering btter vet,  with a fresh toon and a determination to like everything that CCP does to Eve...

Don't take me too seriously though, I like to tease a bit on the forums, but that's only because I love you...

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#13 - 2014-12-01 00:35:29 UTC
Sobaan Tali wrote:
Worth it, especially if they are doing warp animations for any/all (hopefully all) ships. The ships that are getting warp animations, and even the ones that have any animation at all, feel a lot more alive and credible compared to the ones that don't. I feel like the animations make them seem more dynamic and, if I may sound geeky for the moment, real.

Now, I think the real question should be how far should the animations go; should Art stop at merely special functions (bastion, triage/siege, warp, T3 modes, etc.) or should there be more general case animations (like the mechanically scanning array on the Scorpion line and the Stratios)? Should they do both, or one or the other, or neither? My vote is that Art be allowed to expand on ship animations as much as they can, in any direction be it a small moving doodad here or a full-blown "transformers" style animation there.

Yes, CCP is doing a pretty damn good job on the animations. Yes, it's a good direction, no it's not pointless...and I honestly hope there is more...much more!

Well, so far they've been adding an animation of one sort or another every time they have updated a hull. I think that trend will continue.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Serene Repose
#14 - 2014-12-01 00:37:42 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

So what do you think?

Mr Epeen Cool
I bet that's why you don't get killed a lot!

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-12-01 00:59:46 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
I can see the box around me when I undock. Why didn't they do a sphere? Cry

cos DirectX

(OpenGL works the same though)
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#16 - 2014-12-01 01:14:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Hal Morsh
John E Normus wrote:
The art department is doing an incredible job. If I had a complaint it would be that the faction ship skins are kind of bland for the most part and the Erebus needs more green.

Really well done art people!

Yes they have been doing a great job. I see skybox lines on lots of games, so I don't blame CCP at all here.

My ONLY OCD problem with eve is the thorax. It is a great looking ship don't get me wrong, but that plate on the side of it holding the 3 guns. If you look at it from the back of the ship you can notice a gap between it and the ship... lol..

Don't be changing the thorax though. I like the way it looks, especially how the gallente interdictor has spinny things and no one else does on their interdictors.

Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Hyperion still has no visible drone bay. CCP why you no like hyperion?

Many ships without visible drone bays have drones and vice versa.

Ships like the tristan have a visible drone launch hatch, and hell even the gallente rookie ship got hatches for crew and stuff as well as a drone hatch.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#17 - 2014-12-01 05:02:39 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

So what do you think?

Mr Epeen Cool
I bet that's why you don't get killed a lot!

As usual though, he cuts to the heart of the matter.

Personally I love the eye candy, but I understand why some consider it irrelevant, or even distracting.

I guess I just place a high value on the little touches that have a "cool factor", and help maintain the vague sense of immersion in EVE that I always feel when I fire up the game.

Elena Morin'staal
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2014-12-01 09:12:56 UTC
I love the new ships getting animations, and warp animations. In my perfect EVE, all ships will have animations and do cool stuff when entering warp (can't get enough of the gila warping)
Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
Viral Society
#19 - 2014-12-01 14:52:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jean Luc Lemmont
What's the animation on the Bowhead? I played around with it some, but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Of course the ship is flipping huge, I may have just missed it.

Edit: Just saw you linked a vid, R1. Off to watch.

Will I get banned for boxing!?!?!

This thread has degenerated to the point it's become like two bald men fighting over a comb. -- Doc Fury

It's bonuses, not boni, you cretins.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#20 - 2014-12-01 14:56:11 UTC
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
What's the animation on the Bowhead? I played around with it some, but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Of course the ship is flipping huge, I may have just missed it.

There are two panels on the front that raise/lower into position, near the top.
Also the entire engine section pulls in towards the hull when going into warp.

I have a link in the OP that shows all of the animations in detail.

12Next page