These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Single IP Single Account

Author
Kevin Tumatauenga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#21 - 2014-11-30 21:42:12 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
suddenly CCP loses 2/3 of it's income and eve dies.... love the idea can't see a problem with itUgh

to be honest, i somehow question the amount of 'real pilots' in eve space based on the fact that these guys who replied above all have 2-5 accounts, i think nobody knows the exact numbers except CCP, so 2/3? meh i dont know. if this idea really makes them bankrupt they can make subscription fee higher, real RPG fans will stay i believe.
Kieron Krodmandouin
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2014-11-30 21:47:09 UTC
I do like the idea of allowing you to play the other characters on your account rather than needing a second account to multi-box. If it were implemented correctly you could control all of your toons through one game window, instead of needing multiple ones open. Just require a plex to activate your toons each month.

I had considered a second account to multi-box maybe a year ago, and decided against it because I would need a more powerful computer to handle all the game clients. By making the process more difficult, CCP loses money.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2014-11-30 21:51:27 UTC
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
suddenly CCP loses 2/3 of it's income and eve dies.... love the idea can't see a problem with itUgh

to be honest, i somehow question the amount of 'real pilots' in eve space based on the fact that these guys who replied above all have 2-5 accounts, i think nobody knows the exact numbers except CCP, so 2/3? meh i dont know. if this idea really makes them bankrupt they can make subscription fee higher, real RPG fans will stay i believe.

So the proposal is intentionally intended to massively cut down the playerbase, CCP's income, and the retention rate of long term players, by eliminating the ability for people to use multiple chars at once, all because you want to prevent the tiny number of PvP'rs that actually use more than one account at a time when PvPing?

I have 5 accounts, sure.

I PvP with one character at a time.

I have my main char, my capital char, the JF char, my highsec freighter char, my scanning char, my alt missionrunner char, three alt miner chars, my leadership in training char, a few scouting chars, a research alt, a production alt, a trade alt....

When playing eve, I typically am using 3-4 accounts at a time, some in null, some in high, some in trade hubs, or in WH's....

But when I PVP, it's always just one.

But let's just wreck the game's playerbase, CCP's income, forcing them to lay off most of the DEvs and reducing eve to a shadow of it's old self, and turning nullsec into a barren wasteland, because you would rather burn the game to the ground than let a few people PvP with multiple chars at once.

To put it bluntly, are you out of your ******* mind?
Kieron Krodmandouin
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2014-11-30 21:53:35 UTC
More importantly, trying to limit what people do on the internet is doomed to fail. Family businesses like Saudi Arabia have tried and failed, with near unlimited resources. There will always be a back door, a workaround, something.
Iain Cariaba
#25 - 2014-11-30 22:06:24 UTC
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

If I take into account just the players I know, we'd be looking at losing 3/4 of our accounts collectively. The income CCP generates from me individually would drop by 2/3, if I stuck around to keep playing at all.

I have spent a great deal of time throughout the years weaving interdependencies between my accounts so that I can do pretty much anything I want to in this game, and do it fairly well. Losing this ability because some noob wants to whine about fairness in an unfair game would probably drive me, and a good chunk of the game who has done the same as I, out of the game entirely.
Kevin Tumatauenga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#26 - 2014-11-30 22:15:18 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

So the proposal is intentionally intended to massively cut down the playerbase, CCP's income, and the retention rate of long term players, by eliminating the ability for people to use multiple chars at once, all because you want to prevent the tiny number of PvP'rs that actually use more than one account at a time when PvPing?

I have 5 accounts, sure.

I PvP with one character at a time.

I have my main char, my capital char, the JF char, my highsec freighter char, my scanning char, my alt missionrunner char, three alt miner chars, my leadership in training char, a few scouting chars, a research alt, a production alt, a trade alt....

When playing eve, I typically am using 3-4 accounts at a time, some in null, some in high, some in trade hubs, or in WH's....

But when I PVP, it's always just one.

But let's just wreck the game's playerbase, CCP's income, forcing them to lay off most of the DEvs and reducing eve to a shadow of it's old self, and turning nullsec into a barren wasteland, because you would rather burn the game to the ground than let a few people PvP with multiple chars at once.

To put it bluntly, are you out of your ******* mind?

Of course not only the PVP, the pvp only makes up 20% of what i proposed. The most important part is making each role in this universe more important and enjoyable.

Lets say the gameplay as an intel player. at the moment intel players are basically the ones sitting cloaked at the gates, the role for them is reporting enemies. Its boring and tiring sitting at gates, thats why people make mulitboxing alt for it. how about adding a special strategic map links between his ship and FC's, let the intel players be the route designers and take that stress off FC, or making them to deploy and retract special senors/radars at desired gates/locations to make special notice when enemy ships passing by. Whatever stuffs you can think of and doable to make people play this role specifically. Why? beacus some will think this role is more interesting than combat.

So the roles you mentioned above will go along, if features and extra playing styles are added, people will play it specifically, instead of making them some useless alt sitting at gate for only 1/2 purposes.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#27 - 2014-11-30 22:18:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Ahm... I don't know what to say.

Right: Why should I not be allowed to use my accounts for a variety of things at the same time? Just because some people exploit multiple accounts for ISBoxer-coordinated fleets does not mean that the majority of players does. In fact, the vast majority of players does the exact opposite and uses their accounts in different areas of the game for completely unconnected and different activities.

I would also go so far in saying that if this became a thing, I will start using proxies to mimic several make the servers think they get my accounts form various IP addresses and thus circumvent your IP ban. There is no way in hell that I trust anyone with providing cynos for my JF unless it is absolutely necessary and can't be avoided by me. And an IP limitation is nothing that can't be avoided. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable connected to having to depend on some random person in an alliance and hope that they can get a cyno right when you have to move your multibillion ISK ship.

Your point about fair PVP (funny as it is and the first couple of responses already stated that someone messed up their job when there's a fair fight) is most amusing. Multiboxing in the ways of predator666 and thelikes, who use one char for the PVP, one char for the boosting and maybe another for scouting, is the only thing that makes their PVP possible and that kind of solo as fair as it can get in this game where nothing seems to count more than a kill mail and gudfites. And now you come along and want to kill that awe inspiring PVP off because some people exploit some tool or because you don't have the money or time to maintain a second account? Give me a break!

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#28 - 2014-11-30 22:19:57 UTC
Pointless and unworkable idea of the week.

Congrats.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Iain Cariaba
#29 - 2014-11-30 22:34:13 UTC
Kieron Krodmandouin wrote:
I do like the idea of allowing you to play the other characters on your account rather than needing a second account to multi-box. If it were implemented correctly you could control all of your toons through one game window, instead of needing multiple ones open. Just require a plex to activate your toons each month.

A couple issues with this.
1: There is already enough information being thrown at you with a single client running a single character. To implement all my alts, alts scattered across half the galaxy, into a single client would be information overload. Already it is sometimes a hassle to fit the needed information on screen, specially for those with small monitors.
2: Being able to play all your characters on one client Isn't any different than multi-boxing.

Kieron Krodmandouin wrote:
I had considered a second account to multi-box maybe a year ago, and decided against it because I would need a more powerful computer to handle all the game clients. By making the process more difficult, CCP loses money.

If your computer was made any time in the last 10 years, it is capable of running two clients of EvE. If it is really old, you may have to turn down graphics settings. As I posted earlier, I have a computer that today's entry level store bought boxes outperform. I run 4 clients at once, on medium graphics, with no issues.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#30 - 2014-11-30 22:42:42 UTC
Mag's wrote:

Congrats.

This....

2 people playing eve 1 house....

Cybercafes

Wifi hotspots

Lets look at eve vegas (or any other meet and greet event they have really). Most of the attendees attending wouldn't get in after the days/nights events are done. first person on the hotel wireless wins.

I have seen 1 ip per house used in comms for corps/alliances. It was really added paranoia that seemed to just add aggravation when the ts admin had to make exceptions for well....2 people 1 house. I'd rather the GM's work petitions of more importance than this.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2014-11-30 22:59:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
The server should also restrict one IP address to one account only.

So when you have multiple people all with their own separate accounts on the other side of a proxy/NAT (say a hotel or university dorm), only one of them should be allowed to play at a time?

Or would you look at the IP that the computer says it has, rather than the IP that the server sees? In that case everyone using an internal 192.168.* or 10.* network is screwed.

Ignoring all the other arguments, your suggestion is technically infeasible due to the way the internet works.
Kevin Tumatauenga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-11-30 23:20:26 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
Ahm... I don't know what to say.

Right: Why should I not be allowed to use my accounts for a variety of things at the same time? Just because some people exploit multiple accounts for ISBoxer-coordinated fleets does not mean that the majority of players does. In fact, the vast majority of players does the exact opposite and uses their accounts in different areas of the game for completely unconnected and different activities.

I would also go so far in saying that if this became a thing, I will start using proxies to mimic several make the servers think they get my accounts form various IP addresses and thus circumvent your IP ban. There is no way in hell that I trust anyone with providing cynos for my JF unless it is absolutely necessary and can't be avoided by me. And an IP limitation is nothing that can't be avoided. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable connected to having to depend on some random person in an alliance and hope that they can get a cyno right when you have to move your multibillion ISK ship.

Your point about fair PVP (funny as it is and the first couple of responses already stated that someone messed up their job when there's a fair fight) is most amusing. Multiboxing in the ways of predator666 and thelikes, who use one char for the PVP, one char for the boosting and maybe another for scouting, is the only thing that makes their PVP possible and that kind of solo as fair as it can get in this game where nothing seems to count more than a kill mail and gudfites. And now you come along and want to kill that awe inspiring PVP off because some people exploit some tool or because you don't have the money or time to maintain a second account? Give me a break!

As I proposed the 1 person 1 account idea is not only against the ones who exploiting multiboxing pvps, im frankly ask ccp to expand more features and playing styles to different roles. "The vast majority will do the opposite", I'd avoid generalizing. You dont know the exact number anyway. I dont think there is only 1 or 2 players doing it, its way more than that, check the amount of ghosts names in local chats/afks at stargates you will know! And what other different activities are you referring to? there are solutions if each role fits in.

For the cyno, this is why EVE online is a MMORPG, it requires interacting with others. Why do you think you can just take a shortcut by logging on your own alt and make your life easy without socializing with others, you are losing the the concept of MULTIPLAYER, you can ask a corp/alliance mate, even a rookie from newbie channel, and chances could be making a new friends. If i'm you ill role play everything the best i can to socialize. And why did CCP designed the cyno as it is, it wants you to interact with corp mates like that, it is designed in that way, and now you crying that how inconvenient it is for you if you dont use an alt.

Yeah, indeed people use more than 1 character to pvp, thats why i said you can have many characters slots. BTW i have no idea what 'Multiboxing in the ways of predator666 and thelikes' is, i cant find it on google. and who said you can split roles like that, nobody said 1 charcater cant have different roles, whenever you character fits the role the fleets then simply use it, booster skills most FCs have obviously, scouting could be a part of your intel or your intercept characters. whatever activities you mentioned above there are more than 2 roles 1 character can fit with extra features added, i think its viable and more interesting.
Kevin Tumatauenga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#33 - 2014-11-30 23:23:34 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:

So when you have multiple people all with their own separate accounts on the other side of a proxy/NAT (say a hotel or university dorm), only one of them should be allowed to play at a time?

Or would you look at the IP that the computer says it has, rather than the IP that the server sees? In that case everyone using an internal 192.168.* or 10.* network is screwed.

Ignoring all the other arguments, your suggestion is technically infeasible due to the way the internet works.

How often do you have full of EVE pilots sitting together playing eve in 1 room? AND I SAID you can use other methods to achieve 1 person 1 account.
Kevin Tumatauenga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-11-30 23:26:14 UTC
Mag's wrote:

Congrats.

Yes Pointless in your eyes, could be viable
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#35 - 2014-11-30 23:35:31 UTC
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Congrats.

It is viable in the same way brushing my teeth with dynamite is viable.

I promise you, after brushing my teeth with dynamite, I will have absolutely no plaque whatsoever.
Kevin Tumatauenga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#36 - 2014-11-30 23:36:30 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Congrats.

I promise you, after brushing my teeth with dynamite, I will have absolutely no plaque whatsoever.

lol thats trolling
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2014-11-30 23:40:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Congrats.

lol thats trolling

Is it? Let's compare.

I brush my teeth with dynamite: I die, I have no plaque left. On on hand I acheived my goal, which was removing plaque, on the other hand, I'm dead.

We restrict all players to one active character at a timer: Sub drop by 2/3 primarilly in low and null sec, eve sputters and dies, CCP lays off 2/3 of their workforce, game eventually goes bankrupt, EVE dies, but we achieve lack of multiple char PvP use.

In one case I achieve my goal and die in the process.

In the other case EVE achieves your goal and dies in the process.

Notice any familiarities?
Lugh Crow-Slave
#38 - 2014-11-30 23:48:14 UTC
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

ignoring that controlling many bodies at once is a part of eve lore. Even if all the real RPG players after CCP was able to raise the price high enough to counter act the drop in revenue. Eve will become at least as empty as SISI on a slow day the in game market would crash and most importantly the social aspect of eve would dwindle. this would cause even the RP players to get bored.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#39 - 2014-11-30 23:49:45 UTC
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:

How often do you have full of EVE pilots sitting together playing eve in 1 room? AND I SAID you can use other methods to achieve 1 person 1 account.

Its not one room only chief. If ccp goes off global ip (or if lucky static) 1 house, 1 hotel, 1 cybercafé, 1 really packed starbucks wifi spot broadcasts as 1 IP address out of the router. NAtting is hit before this, as does any subnetting if a more pro network install. All get mashed up and broadcast as the one octet of x.x.x.x (as ip v6 has really taken off to be standard yet). Its in the routers internals on the inbound traffic gets separated so you get your stuff and some other guy gets his.

Eve's shinding in Iceland, eve vegas, eve etc (they do world tours, I once missed ccp in Tokyo by mere days, came after my vacation done there :( ).....this kills your ip scheming. They in case you missed it do hotel packages. That's lots of eve players all in the same hotel. All going out the same router with the same ip address. Google natting and subnetting-if applicable- for how you get hundreds of IPs broadcast....but the "cloud" only sees 1. Unless ofc said hotel runs several dedicated lines (very unlikely). That many users they would opt for a wider pipe on the primary and look at sub if not supernetting on the inside. My company's wireless presence is so large we actually had to super net, the wireless dhcp was getting slammed hard with classic subnetting.

some people actually know each other in real life to. I have seen 2 siblings more than once in corp. HAve seen lan parties too...remember this was the basis for what was to become mmo's long ago and is still alive.

Road warriors also common among the player base. Fun fact, many vendors I work with have accepted lists of hotels they can stay at. When they come for on site support their bean counters really want them to stay at hotel chain X. This is quite common for many places, Makes accounting's life easy. As if it happens to be a the Hilton chain they know they paid xyz dollars for the room actually. VIce potential side deals with a friend who has a hotel and they charge Hilton rate and split the difference.
Kevin Tumatauenga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#40 - 2014-11-30 23:51:36 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
Kevin Tumatauenga wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Congrats.

lol thats trolling

Is it? Let's compare.

I brush my teeth with dynamite: I die, I have no plaque left. On on hand I acheived my goal, which was removing plaque, on the other hand, I'm dead.

We restrict all players to one active character at a timer: Sub drop by 2/3 primarilly in low and null sec, eve sputters and dies, CCP lays off 2/3 of their workforce, game eventually goes bankrupt, EVE dies, but we achieve lack of multiple char PvP use.

In one case I achieve my goal and die in the process.

In the other case EVE achieves your goal and dies in the process.

Notice any familiarities?

It seems you are ccp working stuff aye? 2/3 is the amount of alts we have in our universe isnt it?