These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

2001, A Reaver Glitterstim Odyssey

Author
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-11-27 20:21:18 UTC
As I reach 2001 likes, I reflect on the events and people that have built my EVE experience. It has been quite a ride so far, and I don't regret any of it.

I started out humbly in a Navitas (then a mining ship) during Tyrannis. I put my nerd skills to work learning the ins and outs of each skill and module so I could determine good ways to fit my ships. I got to show off my fitting skills for a while, outshining anyone else at my experience level--but that didn't last long as even with a complete mental reference of every module's attributes, experience was still king. And I still didn't know shield extenders existed.

I joined a small and fresh mining corporation called A Few Angry Miners, and under the command of OneAngryMiner we mined up plagioclase to make cash. Not long after we had started, along came a little fresh pirate girl named Laurestine. She would visit us while we were jet-can mining, spout threats and throw our ore into a separate can so she could blow it up, then fly around us in her rifter, taunting us to fight back. My miner friends seemed rather nonplussed by her presence, while I welcomed the break from the boredom. I once told her when and where I was mining alone--wasn't my fault a couple other corpmates joined me before she got there. She showed up in typical fashion and began to harass us, but this time it worked differently. This time another one of my corpmates decided to fight back and used the intel I gave to sneak up on her for an ambush in a thorax. She lost her 15 million isk rifter that day.

She didn't show up much after that. I was praised as a hero, but inside I was lonely and longed for my love to show up again.
Laurestine was my first space crush, and she was probably a guy IRL but I never got to find out before she stopped playing EVE and eventually sold the character. I guess I'll never know. Cry

We got wardecced soon after that, and while I stocked up on cheap ships to troll the deccers, everyone else in the corp ran off with their tail between their legs. I lost a few ships testing my escape fits with corpmates, yet never actually came across an opponent. Dunno what had them in such a huff. So my CEO invited me to a new corp in wormhole space. It was fun playing around in a new area, but the corp and, in fact, the whole alliance was offline pretty much all the time. The only people on were in the corporation Rust Merchants. I flew with them a lot and asked to join them several times, but they adamantly refused, saying they only accept Minmatar applications. Eventually I couldn't stand just having force field access to their POS due to the broken POS mechanics--I lost a ship or two to a malfunctioning POS--and I left wormhole space.

I put up a post in the recruitment forum and in a surprisingly short time was invited to a corp in nullsec called Honored By Death, of the Galactic Syndicate alliance, a renter under IT Alliance. There I learned basic nullsec skills: how to watch local to stay safe, how to use intel channels, how fleet commands work, and most importantly of all--how to lose ships and not get the promised reimbursement. It was a time of turmoil in Z-M5A1/Period Basis, and sometimes it seemed like there were more reds than blues in our space. But we fought back with everything our inexperienced and poorly represented selves could. Soon I got to join a large capital fight (you new folk have no idea how good you have it with time dilation) and that was the killing blow for IT Alliance. Goonswarm swept in and took our space, and Galactic Syndicate fell in tattered remnants of its former self within mere days.

One officer of my corporation had been acting as CEO while the actual CEO was a ghost, so he ordered everyone to jump into a fresh new corp, this one called Legio Geminatus. We joined the enemy and became a member of Gentlemen's Agreement. Under the impressive leadership of this new CEO, and under the halfway decent leadership of GENTS, and perhaps most importantly under the protective wing of Goonswarm Federation, we achieved great things. Many fleet fights were had, and many wrecks were left smoldering in our path. But apparently I didn't have it good enough. I had to talk smack to one of the GENTS FCs. Hey, he had it coming. But it still got me kicked out. I hadn't had a chance to move and I didn't really want to anyway, so instead I figured I might as well join a TEST corp. I checked a few of their descriptions and selected Dromedaworks inc (DROWI) as my first try to see if they would hire me. I guess I got lucky that day because I've been with DROWI ever since, which has been the majority of my EVE career now.

Of course, the story doesn't end there. In DROWI I had fun times here and there, but mostly I've just appreciated not having to prove myself to anyone. I can be myself here. In GENTS, I was expected to be a role model by their own definition. Now, being a member of TEST has been quite a ride. Period Basis was lost and I had to retreat to Fountain. It happened so fast I didn't get a chance to move my stuff out. Once at TEST home base, things were pretty smooth because they seemed to have good control of their space. Strat ops were usually successful, and ship reimbursements actually happened. You know when you get denied enough ship reimbursements, you start to believe it's just a rumor, a lie they tell you to get you to fly dangerously. It's nice to find a group that will actually reimburse.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-11-27 20:25:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
proof: http://i.imgur.com/RGRQe2p.png

So anyway, we got control of Period Basis eventually. It was weird coming back to Z-M5A1, as I had spent the majority of my time in nullsec away from there. It kind of had me all choked up. I had always hoped I'd make it back to the same place, but never really expected it to happen. Interestingly enough, after losing that station again, I found myself there a third time eventually.

So TEST fell into a bad attitude with Goons, and a terrible war began. We had the help from BRAVE but it wasn't enough. One by one our systems fell, until we were pushed out of nullsec entirely. My corporation, DROWI, left TEST for a while. I thought that was a pretty cool move as I was kind of getting fed up with them. It wasn't long before we came back though, much to my dismay. My corp doesn't always agree with TEST, but we always come back. I guess I just have to accept that. But you know what the best thing about TEST is? The notoriety. I just love it when I come into a room and nobody has to know me because they all know exactly who I am by my alliance. And you know when everyone puts you down for your alliance, it just means somebody lost ships and got mad. So that's pretty cool. After I realized that, I stopped worrying and learned to love the TEST.

There hasn't been a lot of upheaval in my corner of the world between then and now. I guess my biggest accomplishments in the past year or two have been forum-side. I have made several good friends, had several crushes to get my mind off of Laurestine (it never worked, but thanks for trying ladies), and have told and read many great tales from beyond the capsule. It's been quite a ride folks, and I'm really happy to say I was a part of this experience. Thanks for having me so far, and I look forward to many great experiences with you all in the coming years.

Oh I almost forgot to mention my time with New Eden Radio! I guess I don't always connect it with EVE, since those folks are so...relaxed? Anyway, many fun times were had tuning into New Eden Radio, listening to DJ Tranze get drunk and try to remain coherent while giving out announcements. The DJs are great, the music is great, the lotteries have greater than 100% payout (seriously!), and the denizens of the New Eden Radio in-game channel are great people. My buddy Stan Smith, the wolf, often greets me when I login. Nanvel the fox still posts konachan images in chat, and Stan still gets in tangles with the ladies, always managing to provoke them into trying to leash him.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."