These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Good skill set/starting ship for FW

Author
Corvin Velegost
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-11-25 21:38:05 UTC
I really want to get into PvP but having a bit of trouble finding up to date/consistent info. Im currently running rifters and thrashers through sec missions with a skill focus on propulsion, shields and autocanons. I've just started to work on leveling propulsion disruption and rigging with a power or CPU lvl here and there. Anything I should learn or stop wasting time on?

PS. Minmatar 4 life
Zen Guerrilla
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#2 - 2014-11-25 21:56:50 UTC
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Main_Page

On the right you have some good starter info.

As for pvp, Minmatar are rather shafted at this time. The ships work, it's just that the other races' ships work better.

If you really want to stick to it, the Slasher and the Thrasher are ok.

For fittings, it's best to go to www.zkillboard.com and go find fits. You can look for solo kills, identify good players and look at their losses for pointers how to fit ships.

Apart from that, join a corp. I'd suggest FW but it isn't really much fun at this time. Go with Eve university. That's always a solid start into a pvp career.

pew pew

The Drunken Taoist
Doomheim
#3 - 2014-11-25 23:10:31 UTC
Personally I'd wouldn't recommend Eve U as the best start to pvp unless you are more interested in larger fleet/blob/null pvp.

As you are asking about FW I would suggest you go out and find a good corp that looks after it's 'younger' pilots as you will get way more up to date info on what actually works within your desired theater of operations (low sec FW)

And SP is not a limit to have fun in pvp. This toon is a new toon with less than 1 mil SP and I have just as much fun flying him as I do my Many mil SP toons.
Baron' Soontir Fel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-11-26 16:32:57 UTC
I got my first solo kill in FW within 60 days of creating my character. Sure that seems like a long time, but winning one vs one's is a pretty big deal.

I suggest going hybrid weapons as they're probably the most versatile and gunnery skills can be transferred to the other races quite easily while missile skills are only good for one race, Caldari.

I'd start with the Merlin or Incursus and then get the Tristan and Comet once you get some drone skills. From there it's an easy leap to Vexors, Moas, Thoraxes, and from there into Ishtars and other AHACs.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#5 - 2014-11-27 05:19:13 UTC
i dont want this to become a recruiting thread.

i'm a newb also, just saying. :)

Just Add Water

Aeryn Maricadie
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-11-27 08:58:30 UTC
Corvin Velegost wrote:
I really want to get into PvP but having a bit of trouble finding up to date/consistent info. Im currently running rifters and thrashers through sec missions with a skill focus on propulsion, shields and autocanons. I've just started to work on leveling propulsion disruption and rigging with a power or CPU lvl here and there. Anything I should learn or stop wasting time on?

PS. Minmatar 4 life

Skills to train- Thermodynamics all the way to five, overheating is VERY powerful when done right.

skills to practice- kiting is very important to minmatar and with navigation changes in upcoming Rhea may very well bring back "Winmatar". Also learn how to properly use overheating.
Qvar Dar'Zanar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-11-28 01:03:29 UTC
Zen Guerrilla wrote:

If you really want to stick to it, the Slasher and the Thrasher are ok.

www.zkillboard.com

Yet if you look at your link, there isn't a single Amarr ship between the 10 ones getting most kills, but there are 3 minmatar.
Wait, there's the malediction... Which uses missiles :)
Rovain Sess
Wu Fanged
#8 - 2014-12-05 22:25:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Rovain Sess
Huge question,

:). I'd suggest you get up your core skills so as to support all those guns and prop mods. I think min ships are fine, but you'll find that flying them requires, at least tank wise a bit more of a split skill tree investment. In FW obtaining the ability to fly assault frigs would accomplish a well rounded fw toon and set you up for your eventual move into a well rounded cruiser.

Might I also suggest staying racial specific thru the AF grind - specialization in the more fringe classifications (bombers, EW frigs) can wait. Resist the temptation - which is hard when others seem to do it effortlessly.

Finally join a FW corp - and let this family support your pvp journey - this will allow you to avoid a ton of pitfalls.

See you on the front - be you friend or foe!