These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

A prison with no walls and no chains.

Author
Evi Polevhia
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#21 - 2014-11-23 12:59:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Evi Polevhia
Pilot DutchGunner, your first comment about not answering to anyone but ourselves is painfully short sighted and selfish. To think of our lives and abilities in such a way merely divides us and weakens Humanity as a whole. The stone age tribal who could throw a spear the farthest and most accurately owed it to no specific person...but rather owed it to his whole tribe to be a great hunter. How can we, the best spearthrowers, sit back and claim we live in a bubble of our own desires? Ignoring the needs of Humanity?
Alabath Schmidt
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-11-23 18:24:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Alabath Schmidt
Who needs freedom?

No, I'm serious. In some of the oldest works retained, Thomas Hobbes in Leviathan posited that true freedom is a state of nature free of laws and personal property. He did not glorify the concept of freedom the way we do now; he described an average human life under the conditions of freedom to be "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." I don't agree with Hobbes on much, but I do agree with his definition of freedom.

Immanuel Kant suggests our ability to do things we'd really rather not is proof of our free will. He claimed it was what gave humans special moral worth. Human nature can be resisted. It's fought every time you have to defacate and choose to do it in a bathroom rather than on the floor. This idea that human self interest is a law that prevents freedom is outright wrong.

But I ask again if that is what we want. I don't know why humanity believes freedom is good without qualification. Freedom isn't good in the circumstances where you're destroyed by a nullsec gate camp. Freedom isn't good when it allows people to do horrible things. Freedom is not to be fetishized. The universal man-made wonders were not made by individuals fighting and bickering in a state of nature. Your favorite restaurant was made by people who followed laws. The university where you obtained your capsuleer training also created its own rules and laws that take away your freedom. Religion was written, spread, and believed by those who were without freedom. Freedom is what separates one human from another; laws are what unite us.
DutchGunner
Circle of Abyss
Wicked Angels.
#23 - 2014-11-23 22:14:06 UTC
Evi Polevhia wrote:
Pilot DutchGunner, your first comment about not answering to anyone but ourselves is painfully short sighted and selfish. To think of our lives and abilities in such a way merely divides us and weakens Humanity as a whole. The stone age tribal who could throw a spear the farthest and most accurately owed it to no specific person...but rather owed it to his whole tribe to be a great hunter. How can we, the best spearthrowers, sit back and claim we live in a bubble of our own desires? Ignoring the needs of Humanity?

We all have qualities and downsides. We choose what we do with them and how we deal with them. If we are unhappy with what we do, we chose to either do something about it or not. Now this decision will be affected by other things but in the end we will have to be able to live with ourselves. Therefore we only answer to ourselves.

I will use your example. There is a good hunter because he can throw spears the furthest and most accurate. He can choose to not do anything with his skill but that means his tribe could be unhappy with him, he and his tribe might not have enough food or his tribe will push him to go hunting. The hunter will have to choose how he deals with this and make a decision that he can live with. This decision will be balanced between the results and consequences of each option.

Edvar Maulerant
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-11-24 00:25:25 UTC
Deceiver's Echo wrote:
>>Begin Audio Log<<

I'd be interested in your observations on wormhole phenomena if they were not couched in insane ramblings. It's why I suggested those counseling sessions in the first place.

Regarding your observations on freedom I suggest reading less Jove prose. I can see the appeal of Gorda Hoje to someone with your obvious eccentricities. My concern is that you seem to be reading far too much into the meaning of those words.

Make of yourself what you wish the world to be.
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#25 - 2014-11-24 12:57:14 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Alabath Schmidt wrote:
Who needs freedom?

No, I'm serious. In some of the oldest works retained, Thomas Hobbes in Leviathan posited that true freedom is a state of nature free of laws and personal property. He did not glorify the concept of freedom the way we do now; he described an average human life under the conditions of freedom to be "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." I don't agree with Hobbes on much, but I do agree with his definition of freedom.

Immanuel Kant suggests our ability to do things we'd really rather not is proof of our free will. He claimed it was what gave humans special moral worth. Human nature can be resisted. It's fought every time you have to defacate and choose to do it in a bathroom rather than on the floor. This idea that human self interest is a law that prevents freedom is outright wrong.

But I ask again if that is what we want. I don't know why humanity believes freedom is good without qualification. Freedom isn't good in the circumstances where you're destroyed by a nullsec gate camp. Freedom isn't good when it allows people to do horrible things. Freedom is not to be fetishized. The universal man-made wonders were not made by individuals fighting and bickering in a state of nature. Your favorite restaurant was made by people who followed laws. The university where you obtained your capsuleer training also created its own rules and laws that take away your freedom. Religion was written, spread, and believed by those who were without freedom. Freedom is what separates one human from another; laws are what unite us.

It really depends on what is meant by freedom.
Do we need freedom to free us from the petty restrictions of others?
Are we able to make that choice?
Or do we make our own freedoms?
Make our own decisions as to right and wrong, choose the "higher" path, and free to be better than the average?

The truth is restrictions exist when the majority are unable to aspire to be better than they are,
But those who aspire to great things, will always find a way to maximise their freedoms
Unfortunately those who aspire to the basest drives will too.

So is the perfect society one that has rules that can tell the difference, and act accordingly?
The worst is those that cannot, and drag everything down to a dull static average, where nothing shines and Only the truly bad stand out.

Let the law be based on reason and rationality, not Blind structure.
But we have the old problem, who guards the guardians?

Will we ever find the solution? Only when the majority strives to be enlightened, and to be the best we can be.
Thankfully as capsuleers, we can choose the higher path, with few to stop us. But with that comes a responsibility to become better beings, that is a responsibility we are free to ignore, but free to choose to follow too.

Embracing ones responsibility can be the greatest freedom. And we are then free to call ourselves truly human. And not simply an ape with the power of the Gods

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Rhavas
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#26 - 2014-11-24 16:17:36 UTC
She's not talking about us.

Author of Interstellar Privateer Shattered Planets, Wormholes and Game Commentary

Deceiver's Echo
Imperial Rite Mission Rens
#27 - 2014-11-24 20:18:47 UTC
Rhavas wrote:

I want to believe you understand what you're saying.

Truth is? I don't.

Be specific. I want to believe you know what you are talking about, but this is SUCH a non sequitur. I mean, honestly. Who is "she"? If not "us", who is "she" talking about?

Are you sure you didn't mean, "She's not talking to us?"
N'maro Makari
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#28 - 2014-11-24 21:25:34 UTC
Nikilaiki Rutarhara.

You still have perfect timing.

**Vherokior **

Deceiver's Echo
#29 - 2014-11-24 21:43:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Deceiver's Echo
N'maro Makari wrote:
Nikilaiki Rutarhara

>>ID: N'Maro Makari
>>Key: Nikilaiki Ruutarhara
>>Invalid Request
>>Override Authorization: ADMIN 448

>>ADMIN 448: Protocol Error<<
>>ADMIN 448: Connection Terminated<<

**Connection Reestablished**

>>ID: Makari, N'Maro
>>Invalid Request
>>Override Authorization: Multiple Attempt Lockout

>>Lockout Enabled<<
>>Awaiting Lockout Parameters<<

>>ADMIN 332: Protocol Error detected. Connection Terminated<<
Rhavas
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#30 - 2014-11-24 22:09:23 UTC
Deceiver's Echo wrote:
Rhavas wrote:

I want to believe you understand what you're saying.

Truth is? I don't.

Be specific. I want to believe you know what you are talking about, but this is SUCH a non sequitur. I mean, honestly. Who is "she"? If not "us", who is "she" talking about?

Are you sure you didn't mean, "She's not talking to us?"

Isn't the better question: who do you perceive as "us"?

"Imagine if the bars to your prison were all you had ever known.
Then one day, someone appears and unlocks the door.
If they have the power to do this, then are they really the liberator?
You never remembered who it was that closed you in."

Author of Interstellar Privateer Shattered Planets, Wormholes and Game Commentary

N'maro Makari
#31 - 2014-11-24 22:10:29 UTC
Deceiver's Echo wrote:
N'maro Makari wrote:
Nikilaiki Rutarhara

>>ID: N'Maro Makari
>>Invalid Request
>>Override Authorization: ADMIN 448

>>ADMIN 448: Protocol Error<<
>>ADMIN 448: Connection Terminated<<

**Connection Reestablished**

>>Invalid Request
>>Override Authorization: Multiple Attempt Lockout

>>Lockout Enabled<<
>>Awaiting Lockout Parameters<<

>>ADMIN 332: Protocol Error detected. Connection Terminated<<

Intriguing...

Deceiver. Why have you returned?

**Vherokior **

Deceiver's Echo
#32 - 2014-11-24 22:26:39 UTC
N'maro Makari wrote:
Deceiver

>>Temporary Key: Deceiver
>>Accepted
>>Override Authorization: ADMIN 426

>>Why have you returned?

>>User does not have proper security clearance.
>>Request CONCORD authorization.

>>ADMIN 426: "Dark, dark, in the light, time to see if they will fight. This message is not for you Pilot Makari."
>>ADMIN 426: Unauthorized access detected.
>>ADMIN 426: Lockout parameters invalid.

>>Connection Terminated<<
N'maro Makari
#33 - 2014-11-24 22:39:19 UTC
Deceiver's Echo wrote:
N'maro Makari wrote:
Deceiver

>>Temporary Key: Deceiver
>>Accepted
>>Override Authorization: ADMIN 426

>>Why have you returned?

>>User does not have proper security clearance.
>>Request CONCORD authorization.

>>ADMIN 426: "Dark, dark, in the light, time to see if they will fight. This message is not for you Pilot Makari."
>>ADMIN 426: Unauthorized access detected.
>>ADMIN 426: Lockout parameters invalid.

>>Connection Terminated<<

Protocol Dark, Karris.

**Vherokior **

Deceiver's Echo
#34 - 2014-11-24 22:41:46 UTC
N'maro Makari wrote:
Protocol Dark, Karris.

>>ADMIN 332: Multiple key usage detected. ID: Makari, N'maro now on 72 hour lockout protocol.

>>Have a nice day.
N'maro Makari
#35 - 2014-11-24 22:49:06 UTC  |  Edited by: N'maro Makari
Deceiver's Echo wrote:
N'maro Makari wrote:
Protocol Dark, Karris.

>>ADMIN 332: Multiple key usage detected. ID: Makari, N'maro now on 72 hour lockout protocol.

>>Have a nice day.

Cheeky.

Shot in the dark...

Override, Makari, DRKLY.

**Vherokior **

Deceiver's Echo
#36 - 2014-11-24 22:58:45 UTC
N'maro Makari wrote:
Override, Makari, DRKLY.

>>ADMIN DRKLY: Override, Makari

>>Override Confirmed<<

Requesting unlock, all files regarding Nikiruu.

>>Override Insufficient<<

**Override requires key from two DRKLY authorized ADMIN accounts**
N'maro Makari
#37 - 2014-11-24 23:26:31 UTC  |  Edited by: N'maro Makari
Deceiver's Echo wrote:
N'maro Makari wrote:
Override, Makari, DRKLY.

>>ADMIN DRKLY: Override, Makari

>>Override Confirmed<<

Requesting unlock, all files regarding Nikiruu.

>>Override Insufficient<<

**Override requires key from two DRKLY authorized ADMIN accounts**

There you are...

Override, DRKLY, Makari

>>FILE_AK_AUDIO
>>PLAYBACK
"Override, DRKLY, Karris, Alessandra"
>>PLAYBACK/END

**Vherokior **

Deceiver's Echo
#38 - 2014-11-24 23:44:29 UTC
N'maro Makari wrote:
>>FILE_AK_AUDIO
>>PLAYBACK
>>PLAYBACK/END

>>User ID confirmed.
>>Voice ID confirmed.
>>Welcome Back, Karris, Alessandra.

>>ID: Karris, Alessandra
>>Key: DRKLY

>>Override Confirmed<<

Time since last login: Session Currently Active.

>>Security Override Enabled, Firewall Active<<

>>ADMIN 338: Unauthorized Access Detected. Multiple Login Sessions. Purging ID: Karris, Alessandra from database. Alerting user of access attempt. If you are receiving this message in error, please contact ADMIN 445 for new login.

>>IGS search in progress.
>>Confirming database breach.

>>Session Terminated. Have a nice day.<<
N'maro Makari
#39 - 2014-11-24 23:51:34 UTC  |  Edited by: N'maro Makari
Deceiver's Echo wrote:
N'maro Makari wrote:
>>FILE_AK_AUDIO
>>PLAYBACK
>>PLAYBACK/END

>>User ID confirmed.
>>Voice ID confirmed.
>>Welcome Back, Karris, Alessandra.

>>ID: Karris, Alessandra
>>Key: DRKLY

>>Override Confirmed<<

Time since last login: Session Currently Active.

>>Security Override Enabled, Firewall Active<<

>>ADMIN 338: Unauthorized Access Detected. Multiple Login Sessions. Purging ID: Karris, Alessandra from database. Alerting user of access attempt. If you are receiving this message in error, please contact ADMIN 445 for new login.

>>IGS search in progress.
>>Confirming database breach.

>>Session Terminated. Have a nice day.<<

Well that was unexpected. Let's dig a little.

Debug. List directories.

**Vherokior **

Deceiver's Echo
#40 - 2014-11-24 23:57:40 UTC
No fair, you locked me out. I wasn't even able to make a backup.
Previous page123Next page