These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Do people still go solo-hunting in pilgrims?

Author
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#21 - 2014-11-13 13:31:42 UTC
The recons are up for rebalance Soon (TM) and, to quote Fozzie from FanFest:
"Some of them are pretty good and some of them are the Pilgrim." There will be changes.

Although the Recons are theoretically designed as force multipliers, the Pilgrim has been a solo hunter since it came out... It was never suitable enough as a force multiplier to see use in that role.
Perhaps it will take on that role when the changes go through and the idea of the solo hunter with pass but until then it is the role it has.
KazakArkov
Angels and Demons Inc.
Mordus Angels
#22 - 2014-11-14 00:22:26 UTC
Seraph IX Basarab wrote:
KazakArkov wrote:
Xequecal wrote:
There's no reason to fly a Pilgrim while the Stratios exists.

Even being the opposite side of the table from this guy and complete enemies this guy makes the best point on the thread which I am assuming others have made as well. Why fly something that was intended for something else when they have something for that.

It's like a petulant child whining about not getting there way at Christmas when they have gotten all they have asked for. The Pilgrim isn't intended for solo hunting; they didn't build the falcon that way, they din't build any of the recon ships that way.. They built them with the idea that they would counter fleets well, and provide good SUPPORT to the fleet. This is a MMO' if you are trying to find something that works and the thing you find isn't working then you go to the forums and complain about it; expect to get good points on why it isn't working.

Don't be mad man, just fly A stratios or a strat cruiser - that simple...matter of factly; the legion with a pilgrim type fit does MORE dps, tanks more, and give about the same range plus the general fear factor of it being a legion. So LOL enjoy I guess? Sorry goonie but nice retort though.

QFT

"Guys, I think the bomber needs a buff. I can't solo any AF's with it. I mean what's the point?"

That's what you sound like OP. Learn what the role of the ship is. I also want to make another point that the DPS a Pilgrim has must be understood within the context of the enemy ship being neuted out. A decently fit Prot for example will break 100k EHP... neut it out and it'll get down in the 50k to 60k ehp range. Knock out the resists and your DPS becomes THAT much more useful.

Completely agreed learning how to USE a ship to it's advantages is so much stronger than simply saying that it's not strong in the fields it's not supposed to be. Bombers don't tank AF's or destroyers even though they are T2 frigs themselves, well maybe you should be engaging targets like that. Earlier in the post he even stated that he picks his targets accordingly. Well then you solved your own problem!?! Picking your targets the correct way seems to be the fashion of PVP in any game; not just in EVE online. Perfect examples are out there but I am not going to simply beat a horse till it's pudding. Matter of the fact is that your taking a ship designed to do something it CAN DO against targets it CAN FIGHT, and complaining about how it's not doing enough DPS...when it's other racial counter parts have equal to the same amount of DPS as the pilgrim. You have the ability to shut someone's tank, escape, and guns from ever being able to hit you and you have drones (that with proper skills) can shred a ship within seconds to hull. So I don't see the problem LOL you want more deeps less ewar...fly something that does that and profit?
Aralieus
Shadowbane Syndicate
#23 - 2014-11-16 04:19:27 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nasty little ship in the right hands.

Indeed...all boils down to 'target selection'

Oderint Dum Metuant

Aeryn Maricadie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2014-11-21 23:34:30 UTC
Upset Cesaille wrote:
Seraph IX Basarab wrote:
Upset Cesaille wrote:
Pilgrim is complete junk. Read this thread - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=357311

I literally just came to Ships & Modules to argue that the Pilgrim needs a serious boost. My main has Recon V and all cap/armor/drone skills maxed out, and the Pilgrim is just completely useless. You will never break 200 DPS, you will never be able to tank anything serious with 5 low slots as an armor boat, to engage anything with your neuts you have to close to 10KM and engage with your AB+scram. After that you are literally a sitting duck, good luck.

The sad truth is that stealth bombers are MUCH better for the same role, and cost 5x cheaper. Yes, they don't have those magical neuts, but when you have no uncloaking delay and 4x more DPS with the ability to dictate range much more easily, you can do the same job the Pilgrim is designed for MUCH better.

CCP needs to give the Pilgrim slightly more cap, maybe another low, maybe more drone bandwidth, SOMETHING to make it useful. Right now all it can solo-hunt is industrials, miners, T1 cruisers and maybe BCs if you are lucky.

Why should a recon ship be a good solo hunter? Anyone solo hunt with a falcon or a rapier or arazu? No. Recon ships are meant to augment bomber gangs. Want to solo hunt in a cloaky cruiser? Get a T3.

The other recons are different. Arazu shuts down ships completely and dictates range. Falcon shuts down ships completely and dictates range. Rapier stops ships completely, dictates range, and has lots of applications in PvE. Pilgrim? Pilgrim only works against turret ships. And if for some reason you wanted to neut someone (which doesn't stop autocannons, missiles, or passive tanks), have fun getting within your 12km neut range. Yes, the Pilgrim should not be a solo pwnmobile, you are right. But it should not be useless either. Right now it's useless for "augmenting" anything and any other recon is more desirable in a gang. It's not good solo or in gang.

Uh Pilgrims and Curses are the only recon ships that can actually turn a ship "off" and can do it very fast.
"you're Proteus does 700 dps? thats cute!" /Off
1v1 cruisers/bc/even t3's you can't kill a pilgrim (unless it derps hard) because it can always shut off your tackle
any ship with a cruiser sized cap has 21 or 33 seconds to kill the Pilgrim from the time it decloaks (depending on whether they have a cap booster or not) until they have a cap of 0.
Aeryn Maricadie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2014-11-22 00:08:14 UTC
Jacob Holland wrote:
"Some of them are pretty good and some of them are the Pilgrim." There will be changes.

Although the Recons are theoretically designed as force multipliers, the Pilgrim has been a solo hunter since it came out... It was never suitable enough as a force multiplier to see use in that role.
Perhaps it will take on that role when the changes go through and the idea of the solo hunter with pass but until then it is the role it has.

It is a T2 that can make a T3 useless and then some. how is it not a force multiplier? It would be a much better solo hunter if there wasn't local but all cloaky ships have that problem

Local makes the game too Safe
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#26 - 2014-11-23 10:39:03 UTC
Aeryn Maricadie wrote:
Jacob Holland wrote:

It is a T2 that can make a T3 useless and then some. how is it not a force multiplier? It would be a much better solo hunter if there wasn't local but all cloaky ships have that problem

Local makes the game too Safe

And yet it can lock down systems for hours at a time even when the pilot is several miles away from their PCTwisted
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#27 - 2014-11-23 11:25:07 UTC
Aeryn Maricadie wrote:
It is a T2 that can make a T3 useless and then some. how is it not a force multiplier?

Because while it can make one ship useless; a, it takes a while; and b, it's unlikely to be making more than one useless.
The first page was comparing the Pilgrim to the Falcon and the Arazu (or Lachesis, I always forget which of those is which); both of which are capable of removing more than one ship from the fight simultaneously and which can use that removal tactically to protect itself and/or other important fleet assets. If the enemy are shooting your logistics the Pilgrim might be able to tracking disrupt a couple of ships off it (though most of the Pilgrim fits I've seen only have one TD at most) but its limited range means that neuts are unlikely... Meanwhile your Falcon or Arazu(Lachesis) can remove more and potentially remove their logistics at the same time.
Even the Rapier (which, like the Pilgrim, makes your fleet hit harder) generates disruption in the enemy fleet more effectively and, more importantly, applies its disruption more rapidly. The webbed target can be burned down almost as soon as the webs are applied (rather than waiting for hardeners to turn off) and the web moved to fresh targets.

The Pilgrim is quite limited in its engagement envelope, and it's currently best suited to solo or very small gangs. I don't know what CCP's thinking on the matter is; but if their intention is that the Recons be applicable in larger fleets (in the way of the Falcon) then the Pilgrim isn't fulfilling that role. Given the FanFest comment I would certainly say that they aren't happy with the Pilgrim as it is now.

I'm not saying that the Pilgrim shouldn't be a solo hunter - at present that's certainly the role it has and in that role it can do some brilliant things - but that if the intention was to be a force multiplier in the manner of the Falcon then it was never suited to that role and hence solo hunting was what was left.
Verity Sovereign
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2014-11-23 11:41:44 UTC
Trained recons with the intention of using the Pilgrim as a solo Hunter.

Stratios was released

Bought Stratios

Complaints: none
Previous page12