These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0

First post
Author
Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#241 - 2014-11-21 14:13:16 UTC
Yes, more Tank and more DPS for BC and BS. These ships are slow as hell so I agree that they must have an awesome firepower and Tank in counterpart.

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#242 - 2014-11-21 14:21:24 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
It would be cool if CCP could confirm such theory so people could theory craft on what those new roles could be and how it would work/be balanced instead of trying to see how the square peg can be modified to fit in the current round hole.

My personal opinion, is that CCP wants to roll out the changes on their terms.

I expect they want to control perception that this is a good change, so are waiting to iron out the major balance details behind the scenes before making any press releases.

These changes, replacing the BS and then making it sit waiting, started a timer for public perception on the BS class.

That other proverbial shoe has to drop before long.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#243 - 2014-11-21 14:58:41 UTC  |  Edited by: elitatwo
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Yes, more Tank and more DPS for BC and BS. These ships are slow as hell so I agree that they must have an awesome firepower and Tank in counterpart.

This is one part I do not agree with. Battleships already have a hefty tank and in some cases lots of ehp to boot with.

Think about it,
IF CCP were to give them more firepower and ehp for battlecruisers and battleships it will not take long for someone to ask for more firepower to kill them.

And IF someone would ask for more firepower then the smaller ships would be in a spot "waiting" to get boosted to the according powerlevels.

This is the very definition of a powercreep.

While CCP and nobody else for that matter can nerf people, we get into this spiral.

I think the best course of action is asking for reasonable things we can all agree upon without "breaking the game" - our game. Think about this as a peace treaty where both parties get something and if all goes well both leave a little pleased and a little unhappy.

What I do not want is going one step ahead and then two step backwards, that gets us nowhere.

So I my more or less passionate opinion on that matter is that we ask more more scan resolution - that value on the fitting screen that determines how quickly we can target lock another ship or collidable object to a level that does no longer deter us from using those ships we hold dear.

And to "ice the cake" a carefully placed mobility increase which I know some of you may not agree with (my analogy with a jet-ski approaching guns blazing a high-tech US Navy ship comes to mind).

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

SFM Hobb3s
Perkone
Caldari State
#244 - 2014-11-21 18:26:14 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:

This is one part I do not agree with. Battleships already have a hefty tank and in some cases lots of ehp to boot with.

Think about it,
IF CCP were to give give more firepower and ehp for battlecruisers and battleships it will not take long for someone to ask for more firepower to kill them.

And IF someone would ask for more firepower then the smaller ships would be in a spot "waiting" to get boosted to the according powerlevels.

This is the very definition of a powercreep.

While CCP and nobody else for that matter can nerf people, we get into this spiral.

I think the best course of action is asking for reasonable things we can all agree upon without "breaking the game" - our game. Think about this as a peace treaty where both parties get something and if all goes well both leave a little pleased and a little unhappy.

What I do not want is going one step ahead and then two step backwards, that gets us nowhere.

So I my more or less passionate opinion on that matter is that we ask more more scan resolution - that value on the fitting screen that determines how quickly we can target lock another ship or collidable object to a level that does no longer deter us from using those ships we hold dear.

And to "ice the cake" a carefully placed mobility increase which I know some of you may not agree with (my analogy with a jet-ski approaching guns blazing a high-tech US Navy ship comes to mind).

Hate to break it to you, but everything sub-bc already got its 'power creep'. Boost EHP and dps of battleships, and yes, people will want something more powerful to beat them, like, say, battleships? IMHO more people in battleships would be a good thing, no?
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#245 - 2014-11-21 18:44:02 UTC
SFM Hobb3s wrote:
Hate to break it to you, but everything sub-bc already got its 'power creep'. Boost EHP and dps of battleships, and yes, people will want something more powerful to beat them, like, say, battleships? IMHO more people in battleships would be a good thing, no?

I believe power creep, in this context, means raising the top EHP or DPS for sub caps as a group.

What we saw so far was not creep, it was cruisers displacing BS class ships in their roles.
The maneuverability of the cruiser, along with it's EHP and DPS rebalancing, have changed the dynamic.

Right now, the BS has been replaced for many uses.
I believe that giving it back it's old job by simply jacking up the EHP and DPS defeats much of the rebalancing done so far.

I think it goes to far to assume CCP did not intend this state of affairs.
It fits the pattern I am seeing, for BS to fade in use or find a new previously non-existent role.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#246 - 2014-11-21 21:16:14 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
SFM Hobb3s wrote:

I believe power creep, in this context, means raising the top EHP or DPS for sub caps as a group.

What we saw so far was not creep, it was cruisers displacing BS class ships in their roles.
The maneuverability of the cruiser, along with it's EHP and DPS rebalancing, have changed the dynamic.

I believe that giving it back it's old job by simply jacking up the EHP and DPS defeats much of the rebalancing done so far.

It fits the pattern I am seeing, for BS to fade in use or find a new previously non-existent role.

Please enlighten us as to what possible role they might have other than front line, slug it out combat WITH BATTLE RIGHT IN THE NAME!

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#247 - 2014-11-21 21:21:49 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
The devs should be fully aware of the dangers power creep holds to the game.

When they made cruisers overtake the roles previously held by the BS class, and made the BS clearly less desirable for faster roams with the warp speed changes... that was not some oversight or mistake on their parts.

Clearly, they are intending the BS class to have a role where these changes are no obstacle.

I was pretty surprised that they started talking about power creep at about the same time they gave HACs a 50% role bonus to MWD signature radius penalty. I think power creep has been happening all along and now they can either go back, or balance the rest of the ships that haven't benefited from it accordingly.

Battleships and combat battlecruisers were on their way out during the t2 rebalance, long before the warp speed changes. If anything, the warp speed changes at least provide a catalyst for creating some new roles among the heavier elements of the subcaps.

Them discussing power creep was, I would suggest, a big clue from the devs that this rebalance was going to change things, and not simply creep boost everything up a notch.

Did the cruisers overtake the roles of the BS class? Effectively.
Is that an example of power creep? NO.
That is an example of displacement.

Power creep would only occur, in this context, if they were to simply increase the power of the BS class to maintain it in it's former position above cruisers.

Instead, they have further indicated that the BS role would be changing.
Not only have the cruisers picked up the BS role in roams, but the BS has been made less attractive in that role by the warp changes.

The BS class has been staged to evolve into something new.
Like in a job, before it was promoted, it's replacement was prepared and put in place.

I believe the smart ISK is on CCP giving this class something new, at least to subcaps.

Power creep is just ships or modules getting more powerful over time. It's already happened and it's been an ongoing process, like when tech two modules were introduced. Over time ships and modules tend to be balanced upward in terms of relative strength, as a whole. There are always outliers that get knocked down, but a a whole, devs are reluctant to nerf and usually lagging classes get brought up, rather than powerful ones getting toned down.

Almost every t1, t2, frigate and cruiser got more powerful during the teiricide, and so did battleships, it's just that the budgeting tool that they're using to balance ships hasn't worked well for battleships and battlecruisers. Overall, I think it was resoundingly successful, almost all of the smaller classes are useful now, even if they are niche uses. There are a few issues, but I think they'll be worked out over time.

The thing is, you've either got to nerf ships and modules, or let power creep happen. That's the choice they have to make, and the sort of out of the box thinking that you're talking about can only get so far, and too much of it starts leading to a whole lot of special case balancing, like all of the jump drive changes that are happening right now.

In the case of battleships and battlecruisers, rebalance involves some bigger number than they do with the other subcaps, and I think honestly think that's the heart of the issue. They're afraid, and rightly so, of making big changes because they don't want things to scale out of control. The problem with that line of thinking though is that because of how speed, tracking, and signature radius work, small and fast ships scale much more quickly with buffs than bigger ships do.

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#248 - 2014-11-21 21:22:43 UTC  |  Edited by: elitatwo
SFM Hobb3s wrote:

Don't. And don't even feel bad about it.

Of course more people in battleships would be great, so people start fighting back with them.

Yes the powercreep already happened, just like I told everyone in a long post at the time when the tiericide was announced.

I had my concers first but it turned out not too bad until battlecruisers and battleships were being changed and made twice as expensive without much merrit.

We could be behind that frigates and tech one cruisers were in dire need of something and they have their weaknesses, so the price increase wasn't bad at all.

When battleships tiers went away and ontop of that the (mineral) price was increased, the performance was increased that much to warrant the additional cost.

The rest is written history at this point Sad

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#249 - 2014-11-21 21:23:01 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
SFM Hobb3s wrote:

Please enlighten us as to what possible role they might have other than front line, slug it out combat WITH BATTLE RIGHT IN THE NAME!

From your keyboard to CCP's monitors.

Frankly, I can make a few guesses, based on the T2 BS's in the game, but that is just my opinions where I might see them.

As to the name, it seems likely to me they simply took the name from real life, just like the other class names for subcaps.

Do you expect CCP to reverse part or all of their changes, so the BS class can resume it's old role in roams?
Or do you think it more likely, that they are going to build on what they have done already?
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#250 - 2014-11-21 21:34:50 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:
-shorted for reading-
In the case of battleships and battlecruisers, rebalance involves some bigger number than they do with the other subcaps, and I think honestly think that's the heart of the issue. They're afraid, and rightly so, of making big changes because they don't want things to scale out of control. The problem with that line of thinking though is that because of how speed, tracking, and signature radius work, small and fast ships scale much more quickly with buffs than bigger ships do.

Bullet dear,
they had no problem at all throwing that warp speed thing upon us at the worst time possible and say, slurp that!

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#251 - 2014-11-21 21:47:05 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:
-shorted for reading-

Bullet dear,
they had no problem at all throwing that warp speed thing upon us at the worst time possible and say, slurp that!

Yeah they did, and I don't think they were completely sure of the scope of changes it would make.

Also, I think that you might be mis-interpreting me here, I'm arguing that power creep is one of the reasons that battleships are in such a funk right now, and that despite what CCP says, it's probably going to keep happening despite their efforts and awareness of it.
SFM Hobb3s
Perkone
Caldari State
#252 - 2014-11-21 21:47:43 UTC
I'd be pretty happy if they doubled EHP, yes, doubled, and made the hull weapons bonus apply to all size guns.
There you go.

- Now much more surviveable to bombs (will take more than one run to kill),
- can fit smaller guns for point defense and still retain hull weapons bonus (now the ship can do multiroles)
- can slug it out on the field a lot longer than currently
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#253 - 2014-11-21 22:41:43 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:
-shorted-
Also, I think that you might be mis-interpreting me here, I'm arguing that power creep is one of the reasons that battleships are in such a funk right now, and that despite what CCP says, it's probably going to keep happening despite their efforts and awareness of it.

That was in response of making large changes.

In case I have taken your post out of context, I apologize!

Experience tells us that nerfing and buffing can get out whack really quickly. Take the Drake and hurricane nerf prior to the battlecruiser rebalance for example.
The Drake was over-nerfed and now she is barely squeezed into one viable pvp fit that isn't worth undocking.

Before that the True Sansha ships were over-nerfed and the other pirate faction ships were buffed in Apocrypha, leaving the Sansha ships in a sad state until the pirate faction ship changes.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a buff of battleships so they "can keep up" and the never ending up-spiral of powercreep keeps happening, I was taking that as a given.

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#254 - 2014-11-21 23:46:50 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

That was in response of making large changes.

In case I have taken your post out of context, I apologize!

Experience tells us that nerfing and buffing can get out whack really quickly.

I agree with your third comment here.

I left out warp speed changes because I think that CCP might have underestimated how much of an effect the warp speed changes would have an effect on what kinds of ships pilots would fly and what they would use them for, and thus didn't warrant a revision of the on grid characteristics of those ships. Probably should have mentioned that at some point, but you know how it is when you're trying to collect your thoughts. Smile

As far as ship balancing goes though, I'd like to see how CCP budgets stats at some point. I'm also curious if they follow some kind of formula, and if they do, how much they have to tweak stats manually.

I try to think about ships in particular contexts, create little formulas and metrics and wonder how in line it is with CCPs thinking. For instance, if I'm trying to consider how well a ship would do as a doctrine fit, it might be useful to think about how much dps a ship will take, instead of just it's ehp. By thinking about how much dps a hull will take, you start to consider that ships resistances, speed, and signature radius, and how efficiently logistics ships will be able to rep that hull. So I try to take into account everything that matters in that scenario, resists, HP, sig rad, speed and how fast a logi can lock up the ship and begin applying reps.

To me it's kind of a fun game within a game, but I think it helps provide a little insight into what ships are worth using, and maybe what ships might need a little buff and why.
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#255 - 2014-11-22 00:07:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Harvey James
i think a part of the solution is reducing the dps on cruiser hulls, its too easy too use cruisers T1/T2 or faction too do what bc's do.

each hull or class is supposed too sacrifice something in order too gain an advantage elsewhere..
offending ships
- ishtar
-deimos
-vexor
-thorax , although probably less so here as it tank isnt much too speak of
-gila is a big offender topping 900dps easily with a very strong tank too match most bc's
-vigilant
- vexor navy issue
- all T3 cruisers
-cerberus

Attack bc's should also get a dps nerf and made T2 and this would open up space for proper attack bc's like brutix/cane/drake/harbinger too be more mobile and project better in exchange for tank.
i also think combat bc's sig radius is far too high compared too cruisers

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#256 - 2014-11-22 05:58:47 UTC
Current stats for all t1 non-faction hulls are up. I have the week off school, and don't start work till wednesday at earliest, so expect much progress this week.

Still looking for someone willing and able to produce decent graphs, if such a person exists.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#257 - 2014-11-22 06:21:08 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

From your keyboard to CCP's monitors.

Frankly, I can make a few guesses, based on the T2 BS's in the game, but that is just my opinions where I might see them.

As to the name, it seems likely to me they simply took the name from real life, just like the other class names for subcaps.

Do you expect CCP to reverse part or all of their changes, so the BS class can resume it's old role in roams?
Or do you think it more likely, that they are going to build on what they have done already?

Battleships haven't been widely used in roaming gangs since CCP added tracking and diminishing returns to mods.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#258 - 2014-11-22 06:26:06 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
-shorted-Battleships haven't been widely used in roaming gangs since CCP added tracking and diminishing returns to mods.

Maybe but you want to see them back as much as we do, no?

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#259 - 2014-11-22 06:34:03 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
elitatwo wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
-shorted-Battleships haven't been widely used in roaming gangs since CCP added tracking and diminishing returns to mods.

Maybe but you want to see them back as much as we do, no?

People will always make excuses to not use them in small gangs for all the reasons they haven't used them for the last decade. There is a good number of ships that don't see a lot of use for no good reason. I also see a lot of people saying cruisers have replaced battleships in their front line role, this is wrong. They have been replaced by the sentry Ishtar, along with just about everything else.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#260 - 2014-11-22 06:46:17 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
-shorted-
People will always make excuses to not use them in small gangs for all the reasons they haven't used them for the last decade. There is a good number of ships that don't see a lot of use for no good reason.

My excuse is the pricetags people come up with when they have weird dreams in the night. I would love to fly a lot of ships and have expensive brain surgery performed on me but I cannot afford that kind of stuff.