These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Missioners: What is your goal?

Author
Tasko Pal
Spallated Garniferous Schist
#101 - 2011-12-15 16:51:51 UTC
I Accidentally YourShip wrote:

I had burned out on EVE months ago when this topic was started. I have since come back and while I still do not enjoy running the missions themselves, the easy ISK they supply me with to fund my other characters is desirable.

I think this sort of thing is what the "edit" button is for. You should be able to modify your post. Just add something to the end (no need for "retroactive continuity") indicating you've had a slight change of heart and that humanity will suffer because you're running level IVs instead of adding purpose to the intarwebs.
Chung Ju-yung
Doomheim
#102 - 2011-12-16 02:09:27 UTC
I have a decided dislike for all things mission running, but I need the standing for my business.

Were there some bribery alternative system in the game, I would not be wasting my time.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#103 - 2011-12-16 05:18:01 UTC
I've been playing one of them theme park mmos lately, and being very honest a level 4 mission is harder than what most of these people seem capable of. lv 4s seem to be at least more fun that solitaire.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Kietay Ayari
Caldari State
#104 - 2011-12-16 10:42:20 UTC
Doing missions over and over to improve just to be able to do better missions faster is exactly the same as playing MapleStory.

This is really all that needs to be said. :D

Ferox #1

Forando
Interstellar Cowards
#105 - 2011-12-16 16:06:41 UTC
I do missions. Mainly to rescue the ever so grateful Damsel in Distress.. (cue: Barry White)
Alaric Faelen
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#106 - 2011-12-19 18:23:49 UTC
Why run missions?
To pay for PvP. Simply put. I'll PvE to pay for PvP but that's about it. I've spent most of my time in Eve running missions. Classic care bear but not by choice so much as just biding my time until I had the skills up, the income to 'be able to afford to lose' my PvP ships, and learned the game's mechanics better.
Missions are (usually) nearby, fast, and terribly easy. Skills used for security missions relate to skills used for PvP, so the goals are often lined up nicely. Most missions can be run solo, again, quickly and just them done to swell that wallet so you can go melt someone's face in null.

For just wanting to be able to outfit PvP vessels in a hurry, I like missions. The fact that they are dull and too easy is just motivation to PvP myself into the poor house weekly.

Run PvE missions all week with a clone with good implants, come the weekend jump into a stripped clone and go collect mails-- loss mails if you're me, but even being vaporized is more fun than winning missions.

I just spent an entire afternoon roaming half of New Eden for one fight (that I lost) but still had more fun flying with a couple wing mates and in dangerous space for no gain at all, than make bank spending that same time running missions.
Doesn't matter what form of PvE, it's all just a way to let me raid the market for pew pew boats.
Rayvonuk
Phoenix Club
#107 - 2011-12-20 03:07:55 UTC
My goal is to get the standings required then stop the monotony
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#108 - 2011-12-20 08:41:50 UTC
Missioning allows me the means to help my corp mates. The means being Big ships, Isk, Minerals and LP.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

ACESsiggy
Deaths Consortium
#109 - 2011-12-20 18:16:46 UTC
I've only done missions b/c I can't seem to actively get involved in WH activities with a corp; don't have the right SP / Ships to participate. Then there is the, "do you have WH experience" question that arises. Once I say, "Well not really," I eventually get the cold shoulder.

So as you can see, I actively stay in my simplistic realm of NPC domination.

“The open-minded see the truth in different things: the narrow-minded see only the differences.”

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#110 - 2011-12-21 07:50:03 UTC
ACESsiggy wrote:
I've only done missions b/c I can't seem to actively get involved in WH activities with a corp; don't have the right SP / Ships to participate. Then there is the, "do you have WH experience" question that arises. Once I say, "Well not really," I eventually get the cold shoulder.

That's stupidly ********. Isn't the whole idea of a corp to help you do things you can't do yet? Might have to look for another corp there mate. I was barely a month old when I joined the corp and one of the first things a couple of us corpies did was go into wormholes and get ourselves killed. But it was fun and we noobs learned a lot. Now I can say that I have a lot of wormhole experience and we regularly go into wormholes and I'm not even 3 months old. Hell so long as you can fly a cruiser I'd take you into a wormhole. Losing your ship is part of wormholes :)

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Ssakaa
Animatar Foundation
#111 - 2011-12-25 11:43:18 UTC
Simply put, it's all of it a means towards one single end. As close to a perfect plus 10 with Minmatar Republic, Gal Fed, Krusual tribe and Sebiestor tribe as is possible, because I enjoy the roleplay elements surrounding the above NPC entities.

By the same token, attaining close to, or, a perfect minus 10 with the Amarr and Ammatar/Nefantar is also a motivation, for the same reason.

"Modern Life is Rubbish"

Deltan Fervus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#112 - 2011-12-26 07:14:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Deltan Fervus
Honestly, blowing stuff up is a legitimate enough reason for me; the ISK is nice too. I can honestly say that just having money is a decent/respectable goal. Oftentimes I don't even have much I need to buy aside from the occasional extra drone or ammo restocking, so there's PLEXes too. I got no issues with running myself broke all the time, and I just gotta make things go boom to make it back.

It's also nice that once you have whatever fancy mission-running ship you wanted now in your hands, you can just build up a fat wallet, look at some random thing in the market and say "Hell, I want to buy that."

Kinda liberating, I s'pose.
Malamber
Venomous Cloud
Scorned Syndicate
#113 - 2011-12-27 23:16:16 UTC
Meh, he only wants answers from people he disagrees with. Everyone else's opinion has already been discounted by him. This passive aggressive stuff really is a train wreck though...
J Kunjeh
#114 - 2011-12-28 00:51:35 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
ACESsiggy wrote:

That's stupidly ********. Isn't the whole idea of a corp to help you do things you can't do yet? Might have to look for another corp there mate.

It's the same cold shoulder you get when looking for a job and they ask "so, do you have any experience?" See, Eve IS for realz.

"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 

Vanilkin
X-Com inc
#115 - 2011-12-28 12:23:33 UTC
The reason for mission running of many ppl is to pimp their ships by officer mods and then lose it to angry gankers ))
.... and start allover again lol Groundhog Day every day
Tariq Norn
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#116 - 2012-01-02 18:42:07 UTC
My tuppence worth from a self confessed mission-whore...running missions since 2006.....

Missions give me continuity basically.

They are something I can pick up and do, how and when I choose.

Noone else depends on my involvement, nor can anyone spoil it unless I allow them to.

They provide a regular and dependable income source.

They can be run quickly and efficiently in one of my uber mission runner ships (Mach, Tengu, Nightmare, I have them all), or I can make it interesting and run a worlds collide in a wolf for Sh.ts and giggles.

By maintaining a steady and decent income and security rating, they allow me to roam in low sec, or locate and bankroll one of my characters (I run two) in nullsec or wh space. I have lived in nullsec on one of those alts on two occasions for a few months each time...it was ok, but tbh it restricted my gameplay in terms of hyow and when too much to fit in with my RL.

Occsionally CCP see sense and throw in something sweet for us missioners....dread pirate is the current 'thing', and it helps to stir it up a bit.

Mission running, at level 3 and 4 level is no more repetitive than any other platformer, ipad game, xbox shooter fest and as a previous poster stated....i get to fly internet spaceships.

Finally...mission running allows me to chat to ppl all over the world from my corp or from my contacts log from various times in null, low, wh space or the equivalent and is a sociable pursuit.

Does that help at all.
Rawanda Johnson
Doomheim
#117 - 2012-01-02 21:38:27 UTC
+10 with every corp in the game.

Should keep me busy while I pursue my other goals.
Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#118 - 2012-01-02 21:40:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kusum Fawn
- Standings for clones/pos
- Easy isk
- little time commitment, they can wait for me rather then having to wait for them
- no one is making me run them faster,
- i can afk them
- more isk per time at keyboard then mining
- always available for me when i want them where i want them

something to do when i have time and no one else is online to shoot things with. sometimes there isnt anyone you really know online. i can make 50 mil half asleep and lose it later when i got friends around.

oh yeah and what that guy said about benchmark testing of ships. with a dependable amount of dps in a mission, and a way to mock up a solo action without being solo, is a great way to test the a pvp fitting without the same risk.

dropping a logi onto a pvp fit bs after the aggro has been assigned is a great way to judge how fast you will burn under real pvp fire. its not the same, but you can judge your fitting by how fast you can catch things and kill them, you just have to figure out the equivalencies.

Incursion runners hate it when you fall asleep on them.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

Squidgey
Perkone
Caldari State
#119 - 2012-01-02 22:12:28 UTC
Here is why I do it.

1: I have less than 6 million sp.
2: I need to make iskies to pay for my next new toy of mission running.
3: Obtaining the next new toy of mission running will allow me to obtain iskies at a higher rate.
4: All the while, I am constantly training support skills for yet better ships (which apply to current ones)
5: Eventually I will be able to reliably do... something better.

Main account is paid for monthly. Alt account is paid with plex. Currently have about 700m and will be in a tengu with all relevant skills to 4+ in about a month and a half. Meanwhile, I am saving up iskies to be able to buy my tengu, then blow it up and buy a new one.

TL:DR I do them for the sake of progress. Once missions no longer suit my needs I will move on.
fuer0n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#120 - 2012-01-02 22:53:34 UTC  |  Edited by: fuer0n
to **** ccp off.

edit maybe if they made a real pvp game like dust i'd want to play again, unlike this excel imitation:P