These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0

First post
Author
Maraner
The Executioners
#201 - 2014-11-17 07:07:31 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner: If just increasing warpspeed is off the table, what kind of battleship performance would it take to get you to fit the warp speed increasing modules?

Correction to your statements about needing implants, a rig and a low above: Even without going and using the implants, it takes 1 low and 2 rigs or 2 lows and 1 rig to match a cruiser, and with the 2 of the top grade lows and 1 t2 rig you can now warp with the HACs.

Hi James,

I currently use 1 hyperspatial rig on geddons to at least try and keep up with BC's. The idea however of giving away low slots - and 2 of them at that ... well no. No way. Plus the draw back on the rig is CPU ffs.

But to answer your question if there was a default buff to raw HP that balanced out the loss using the hyperspatial rigs then I would fit them. Big smile

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#202 - 2014-11-17 07:23:21 UTC
Maraner wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner: If just increasing warpspeed is off the table, what kind of battleship performance would it take to get you to fit the warp speed increasing modules?

Correction to your statements about needing implants, a rig and a low above: Even without going and using the implants, it takes 1 low and 2 rigs or 2 lows and 1 rig to match a cruiser, and with the 2 of the top grade lows and 1 t2 rig you can now warp with the HACs.

Hi James,

I currently use 1 hyperspatial rig on geddons to at least try and keep up with BC's. The idea however of giving away low slots - and 2 of them at that ... well no. No way. Plus the draw back on the rig is CPU ffs.

But to answer your question if there was a default buff to raw HP that balanced out the loss using the hyperspatial rigs then I would fit them. Big smile

So if the ships had enough CPU to fit reasonably with the rigs, and there was ~10% increase in armor, is that enough for you? This is below the EHP loss of the 2nd trimark or tank mod, but still puts it in the general neighborhood, and without the speed loss associated with the trimark.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#203 - 2014-11-17 10:11:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Bullet Therapist
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

Hi James,

So if the ships had enough CPU to fit reasonably with the rigs, and there was ~10% increase in armor, is that enough for you? This is below the EHP loss of the 2nd trimark or tank mod, but still puts it in the general neighborhood, and without the speed loss associated with the trimark.

James please read this, it's a point I've been trying to make all along, but I hadn't found quite way to put it together.

I think that you'd have to see a somewhat larger EHP bonus than 10% to achieve the desired effect here, unless CCP decided to unveil larger sizes of plates and extenders along with buffing CPU and grid to use them.

I know drawing analogies between ships with differing roles is risky, but in the case of the only really viable current battleship doctrine in use, the napoc doctrine, the EHP difference between apocs and napocs is what makes the doctrine work. Incoming dps is often so large because of the ships slow speed and large signature radius that to take advantage of the repping power of a logi wing the ships have to have enough ehp for the first reps to land, and in the case of max tank doctrines, its pretty substantial.

A well skill character can have 155k EHP before boosts with an apoc, and 255k with a napoc, and napoc FCs often require their pilots to use t2 rigs, with faction energized membranes being quite common and pushing the ehp difference even higher. That's a pretty wide gap, but that difference is what makes the doctrine possible; and even then incoming DPS to a napoc fleet is much higher than it is for a tengu or hac fleet, requiring a much larger logi base to support a given number of dps ships. This is what I think of as a fairly linear increase in ship power.

Now, lets consider the napoc I've described and compare it to the eagle. As it stands right now, an eagle does about the same damage and has almost twice the range with 25% better tracking using navy antimatter compared to navy multi, has a longer engagement envelope (longer locking range and optimal of long range ammo types), can be made to be cap stable in a fleet fit (which can be significant.) Offensively the only real edge that the battleship has is a bigger alpha strike.

Defensively the eagle has less than half of the ehp of the napoc, but at the same time it has a little more than half of the signature radius and is a little less than twice as fast as the napoc. Overall, the eagle can take a couple less bombs than the napoc, but is much more able to avoid being hit and it has a higher resistances, which is significant when logistics begin landing reps, as it means it takes less damage overall and requires fewer logi pilots.

Battleships need to have a pretty substantial bonus because the effects of signature radius, speed, tracking, and resistance scale together multiplicativley. A lower signature radius amplifies the effect of higher speed, which in turn together amplify the effect of higher resistances. They all factor in together- it's not just ehp and dps. I really want people to understand this. A triple variable on a ship feature like tank has led to a runaway, it's part of why t3s, and tengus in particular, are so insane, and why battleships are so terrible.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#204 - 2014-11-17 10:23:21 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:

*snipped much good stuff*
Battleships need to have a pretty substantial bonus because the effects of signature radius, speed, tracking, and resistance scale together multiplicativley. A lower signature radius amplifies the effect of higher speed, which in turn together amplify the effect of higher resistances. They all factor in together- it's not just ehp and dps. I really want people to understand this. A triple variable on a ship feature like tank has led to a runaway, it's part of why t3s, and tengus in particular, are so insane, and why battleships are so terrible.

I am well aware. I want to see how the numbers look at 10%, 15% and 20% and higher in native buffer than they currently have for combat battleships but am currently pushing the lowest set as the what I would like not to promise a massive increase when it turns out that a small increase is what is actually warranted.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#205 - 2014-11-17 10:26:39 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
I do fly solo and in 4 man gangs.

It's not quite the same when you can basically Bat-dial any amount of support from anywhere. And even if you don't there's the perception that you can. Please don't infer anything from this: You've obviously worked hard to earn the position you're in - I'm just making the observation that things are often different on the outside looking in...

When Im flying through wormholes deep into enemy space on the other side of EVE it does become problematic on calling for help. Thanks to this patch roaming is getting fun again.

Arthur Aihaken wrote:
The only way to currently utilize Battleships in PvP roams… is not to undock.

This attitude is why you don't do well with battleships.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#206 - 2014-11-17 11:39:15 UTC
A couple graphs about the turrets themselves are up. Working on more graphs to better illustrate some specific points.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Sentenced 1989
#207 - 2014-11-17 12:29:26 UTC
James Baboli wrote:

Exact reason why I never used anything other then EMP, Phased Plasma or Fusion. And yea, I did test this stuff with my damage analyzer shooting stationary ship with 1 gun on different ranges with different ammo and conclusion is that each time short range ammo does better, even when ship is orbiting at range.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#208 - 2014-11-17 12:37:56 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counter productive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#209 - 2014-11-17 20:20:33 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
I do fly solo and in 4 man gangs.

It's not quite the same when you can basically Bat-dial any amount of support from anywhere. And even if you don't there's the perception that you can. Please don't infer anything from this: You've obviously worked hard to earn the position you're in - I'm just making the observation that things are often different on the outside looking in...

When Im flying through wormholes deep into enemy space on the other side of EVE it does become problematic on calling for help. Thanks to this patch roaming is getting fun again.

Arthur Aihaken wrote:
The only way to currently utilize Battleships in PvP roams… is not to undock.

This attitude is why you don't do well with battleships.

My main is in a busy part of nullsec and can say that there has been a lot more activity in our region of space and people are coming here from the far corners of eve via wormhole connections. I agree that it's been a lot of fun lately. I even see goons down here every few days, they even brought a hawk fleet (!) a little while ago.

I also agree, even if I don't think battleships are the optimum choice, that they can still be fun, and while there's a time for being a little more serious, the EVE experience for me is really about fun per hour, so I still yolo them from time to time.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#210 - 2014-11-17 20:41:43 UTC
In other news, I have a new job, and so it may be end of next week before I am done writting up the proposed solutions all in one place, with semi-firm numbers.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Maraner
The Executioners
#211 - 2014-11-17 23:08:13 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

Hi James,

Hi James,

So if there was a base increase to the HP of BS that would give us a CHOICE to either fit trimarks or hyperspatial rigs that would be fantastic. It would mean that I could chose to either take a hit on EHP or warp speed.

Unlike what we have now which is to just leave it behind or shoot myself from a titan....

So yeah the butt hurt would lessen with a general buff to either the base armor levels or base shield HP.

Not too worried about the CPU draw back on the hyperspatial rigs, I dont like it but can work around it with fitting choices. Its the loss of the trimarks, the slave clone or the low slot damange/tank mods which I find particularily offensive.

Cheers for keeping this topic rolling.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#212 - 2014-11-18 19:37:05 UTC
Another googledoc is up, this one a spreadsheet with specific numbers for current and proposed changes. Hulls are being added as I have time, with the rokh serving as the sole current example.

The commentary google doc will not see numerical updates until all the math is finished. I thank all of you for your patience, as it is becoming clear just how much more I bit off than I thought I had.

OP updated to reflect this new document and the updated roles of the two document.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#213 - 2014-11-18 20:55:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
James Baboli wrote:

This is the proposal I have been looking at writing for awhile. It is simply this: Make battleships, battle cruisers and their t2 counterparts worth the wait to get on-grid. The warp speed changes seriously hurt these ships, which are now overshadowed by the recently buffed HACs in almost every mobile application outside the blob. ....

It is thus that I ask for a battleship buff of stats affecting on-grid performance, such that their overall effectiveness on grid is increased by roughly 20%, and a similar buff to combat battlecruisers such that their performance is increased by 15%. A second request is a minor rebalance of large guns and missiles. Attack battle cruisers, being as specialized as they are, seem to be mostly in a good place, and would receive the benefit of the changes to large guns, meaning they would then be in an effective place still, without over-doing their effectiveness as suicide gankers in HS.

+1

Battleships simply suck to fly as they are now. You shouldn't have to gimp your rigs or clone implants with ascendancies just to undo the inherent suckage that exists today in these hulls now.

I have an inventory of gorgeous battleships I would love to make more regular use out of. Why don't I? Because it SUCKS to simply fly them four or five jumps, and when you do get there there isn't a big benefit over a HAC/T3 that can get there in much less time.

At a time when EvE is staring down the barrel of competing with twitch-flying games like Elite:Dangerous, having a sub-capital class of beloved ships that maneuver to battle in slow motion is like saying "we don't need to stop selling buggy whips, cars will never replace the horse and buggy!"

F
Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#214 - 2014-11-19 23:42:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Catherine Laartii
Here's what I'd like to see for a battleship rebalance:

-All battleships get 50% more targeting range

-All battleships get a 20% boost to capacitor regeneration

-All battleships receive a 25% boost to base HP

-Abaddon gets a mid moved to a low, and 20% more pg

-Raven and Typhoon get their application bonuses applied to heavy missiles

-Tempest loses its firing rate bonus, gets 2 turret slots, and a 7.5% tracking speed bonus per level

-Remove the bonus to ECM burst radius on the scorpion, add a launcher slot and give it a 10% bonus to kinetic missile damage.

Here's what I'd like to see for a battlecruiser rebalance:

-Myrmidon, hurricane, and harbinger get 15% additional base capacitor regeneration

-Tornado gets its falloff bonus switched to optimal range

-Drake gets loses 1500 hull and gains 1500 shields

-Ferox gains an extra turret slot, 100 grid and 50 CPU

-Cyclone gains an extra launcher slot, loses two turret slots

-Hurricane gets 44 m/s added to its base speed

-Prophecy gains 75 pg

Please let me know what you think about this, or if any of these are too much.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#215 - 2014-11-20 00:13:59 UTC
Catherine Laartii wrote:

-Tempest loses its firing rate bonus, gets 2 turret slots, and a 7.5% tracking speed bonus per level

-Remove the bonus to ECM burst radius on the scorpion, add a launcher slot and give it a 10% bonus to kinetic missile damage.

-Myrmidon, hurricane, and harbinger get 15% additional base capacitor regeneration

-Prophecy gains 75 pg

Agreed for the most part. May I suggest an agility buff for the Raven, either inertia buff or mass reduction, whichever seems more agree-able.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#216 - 2014-11-20 01:08:51 UTC
So, while not as extreme as some people are asking for, many of the numbers I'm running in the first pass for t1 battleships are up in the spreadsheet linked in the OP. I really would love feedback, and will be pulling out analysis of them as far as major changes and analysis of changes. Attack battleships are all working out to between 9-10s align times w/ skills 5, which is a substantial agility buff, and are getting much faster.

This is the most conservative pass, and will be tweaked further from here. I do not anticipate these being final number but do anticipate them being a more balanced place to start the discussion.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Trinkets friend
Sudden Buggery
Sending Thots And Players
#217 - 2014-11-20 02:24:10 UTC
james,

I agree with most of this. Good work putting it together and good analysis. here's my 5c.

Warp speed
From my POV, one of the biggest problems with BS and BCs is the warp speed. It just takes so long to even land on grid...its a good 5 seconds between when you saunter on to grid and when you can even begin to lock a target...with your crappy native 100mm scan res. All your targets are now either kiting, have you scrammed, are gone, or you are suffering EWAR, neuts, DPS before you can even begin affecting things. Compare this to any frigate or most cruisers warping on to grid - you just appear as if by magic where you need to be, and can begin affecting the outcome of the battle instantly.

This infers that scan res and the warp onto grid is at least as important as the warp velocity. Even if the current warp velocity stays the same, the entry and exit from grid should be sped up significantly, so that BS and BC can begin making an impact.

in wormhole fights, we prefer Enyos because it's faster from wormhole to fight over any engagement warp, and we try to leave BCs and BS at home because the stupid warp speed of the slowest ship munting up everyone else's warp speeds. This costs us so many kills even when we want to bring a Geddon along.

Turret tracking / sig
Your analysis doesn't address the real meta of brawling, which is sig vs tracking, and focuses entirely on optimal and falloff and DPS. Even in range engagements, tracing and sig are equally important for landing applied DPS deep in falloff (napocs, Arty, etc).

The meta of the game at the moment is entirely based around sig-track formulas. Sig tanking is the prime importance as the guy above pointed out in the Napoc vs Eagle example. This is even more important in small gang and brawl environments, where the "get at 500 and AB"answer is used on every single BS hull, ever. Except fully EWAR supported cruise boats, and Rattlesnakes, where Geckos murder you.

The reason you only ever see Geddons, Domis and the odd Phoon is the capacitor warfare capability of large neuts, which work out to disruptor range and wreck everything except drone, missile and projectile boats. Given Ishtars are an exception, this basically is why cruiser meta has moved to drone boats (Nexors, Gilas, ishtars, Prophecy) because they do equally well vs other cruisers, and against a neuting BS, you only have to try to get out of range, not worry about losing all your DPS because the drones keep trucking.

So what's the problem? Tracking and gun resolution. Even if a gun can track appropriately, the sig resolution of the gun still means that against low-sig opponents it lands a fraction of the DPS. Get in at 500 on a BS without webs on you and you can passive tank in shield in an armour ship.

Solution: Fix large gun tracking, across the board. I'd say you need gun res increased 50% and tracking +15% across the board. There's no fear of 1350DPS Navy Geddons when you're in a sig tanking setup.

BS EHP/Sig
The 'give BS 10-30% more EHP" idea is flawed, i think. It does nothing except allow their use in larger fleets where they can survive long enough to land reps from logi. In any other situation, they just take 10-30% longer to die when outclassed by ishtar/gila/Nexor fleets they can't hit, can't track and can't apply DPS to.

I won't say no to more EHp, but i won't use a ship that's got a sig the size of a whale, slow as mud, and incapable of projecting and applying DPS, no matter how much EHP it has.

Like I said, properly constructing doctrines basically boils down to sig, ehp, damage projection and damage application. EHP is good, but without any other benefits, BS will remain where they are - mostly useless.
Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#218 - 2014-11-20 04:06:30 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Catherine Laartii wrote:

-Prophecy gains 75 pg

Agreed for the most part. May I suggest an agility buff for the Raven, either inertia buff or mass reduction, whichever seems more agree-able.

Fair point, but I figured it's in a decent enough place in relation to the other attack battleships. I think having full usability and range with rapid heavies would be alright even with being clunkier, especially considering the potential it would have fighting cruisers at that point.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#219 - 2014-11-20 08:34:22 UTC
Catherine Laartii wrote:
-shorted-
Fair point, but I figured it's in a decent enough place in relation to the other attack battleships. I think having full usability and range with rapid heavies would be alright even with being clunkier, especially considering the potential it would have fighting cruisers at that point.

True, maybe that was a perception thing but last Monday on SiSi even with links the Raven felt like she could use a tiny mobility improvement.

Trinkets friend wrote:
Warp speed
From my POV, one of the biggest problems with BS and BCs is the warp speed. It just takes so long to even land on grid...its a good 5 seconds between when you saunter on to grid and when you can even begin to lock a target...with your crappy native 100mm scan res. All your targets are now either kiting, have you scrammed, are gone, or you are suffering EWAR, neuts, DPS before you can even begin affecting things. Compare this to any frigate or most cruisers warping on to grid - you just appear as if by magic where you need to be, and can begin affecting the outcome of the battle instantly.

This infers that scan res and the warp onto grid is at least as important as the warp velocity. Even if the current warp velocity stays the same, the entry and exit from grid should be sped up significantly, so that BS and BC can begin making an impact.

Yes dear!
Hence my thread from last month with the title "We need better brakes". I can only hope that we get something like this done.

Thing is, I can live with the 2AU/s warp speed on battleships but I cannot live with the time we appear on grid and are still in the process of slowing down when ceptors or other stuff is already kiting us, waiting to lock us and we start locking target but the second we can lock something to shoot at, we are going down Sad

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Sentenced 1989
#220 - 2014-11-20 08:43:43 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Thing is, I can live with the 2AU/s warp speed on battleships but I cannot live with the time we appear on grid and are still in the process of slowing down when ceptors or other stuff is already kiting us, waiting to lock us and we start locking target but the second we can lock something to shoot at, we are going down Sad

Pretty much can agree with this, slowing down on grid is a pain, you are there, but you can't do anything for a while...