These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So who will be moving to THERA? (Jita without Concord)

First post
Author
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#81 - 2014-11-12 14:40:06 UTC
The possibilities are there, it's all up to how it's implemented really, I'll certainly be sending a character in for a look around to see what's up
Charlie Firpol
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#82 - 2014-11-12 15:40:32 UTC
There will be 1000 unsuccessful tries to get ships and modules in, people will be getting angry how CCP could even think this is a good idea. It will be a gankers paradise!

Then there will be very few people actually able to get ships and modules in, and they will sell them. For a ton of ISK. They might get filthy rich. And they will say it was the best idea ever. Its a good traders paradise!

The Butcher of Black Rise - eve-radio.com

Marcus Tedric
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#83 - 2014-11-12 16:10:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Marcus Tedric
Lloyd Roses wrote:
If you got cargo-intensive stuff to get in like hulls, minerals or ammo (just to name a few), then a freighter with some DD support as the hole you're intending to use is clear doesn't sound that troublesome either. Added that with instadock bookmarks there is little that could go wrong........................

No freighters.....

DST probably the largest.

Battleships will have to be built in-system (or actually flown in).

Modules, Ammo, etc will be reasonably easy to get in - ship hulls won't (be so easy) until they are built there.

Pilots will find it relatively easy to get in (in frigates, certainly).

My current best guesses: 1000 AU; 25-50 stations; no bubbles; 10 k-space entries

An interesting idea would be to have station guns that shoot everyone after 30-60s.Twisted

Don't soil your panties, you guys made a good point, we'll look at the numbers again. - CCP Ytterbium

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#84 - 2014-11-12 16:27:00 UTC
Baneken wrote:
To sum it up what has been said so far on the video by CCP Fozzie :

NPC-stations, definitely more then one station, all very far a part to discourage camping.
Mix of all sec statuses but no concord, might or might not have bubbles.
Sleepers as NPC's
Statics to k-space with random w-connections.
No capitals can be brought or built in the system.
No POS allowed in the system.
Stations will have full services with clones, refineries etc. so having a main clone in Thera might be good.
No local because of w-space
Lot's of lore related land marks and new w-space graphics.

Moving on sisi by 'move me' bot when available, also a devblog will be released in a week (?)

Pretty good recap!
For clarity and convenience here is a link to that specific portion of the interview with pauses for some speculative commentary based on community response throw in at the appropriate points: THERA

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#85 - 2014-11-12 16:31:42 UTC
No, only because they chose to go with a name that's been rehashed to death by old browser games since the 90's: "Thera". Thats just Earth jumbled up.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#86 - 2014-11-12 16:42:38 UTC  |  Edited by: 13kr1d1
Jur Tissant wrote:
I am skeptical.

They compare it to a virtual Mos Eisley. But in Mos Eisley, you still watched your step for fear of getting shot if you pissed someone off. In EVE, this fear does not exist, or is severely mitigated.

It's like DayZ. In the real apocalypse, you can't trust anyone. In the virtual apocalypse, you can trust everyone - to shoot you for giggles.

Pretty much this. They're comparing apples and oranges with this Moss Icily thing. One for the simple fact that if things go wrong in one, you are perma-dead.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

Atrapa Bathana-Sura
Alpha Eridani
#87 - 2014-11-12 17:00:09 UTC
An idea: maybe Thera will indeed feature bubbles, but its stations will be really huge and with multiple exits? So there can still be gameplay with bubbles but getting in and out is feasible.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#88 - 2014-11-12 17:17:00 UTC
He, does that mean there are to be no freighters in Thera?

This sounds like fun.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#89 - 2014-11-12 17:21:45 UTC
Has the potential to be nothing more than one long string of ganks... sort of like the SOE stations when the new SOE faction ships were announced and most people just went to gank and probe down the mission runners, and then the novelty wears off and people go back to Jita because that's where the easiest resupply of 'everything' is.

TL;DR... congrats, CCP... you've just added an ARENA to EVE...

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Nick Bete
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2014-11-12 17:37:05 UTC
Placing a major trade hub in the middle of a lawless piece of space is like placing a stock exchange in downtown Mogadishu. What could possibly go wrong?
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2014-11-12 17:52:06 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
No, only because they chose to go with a name that's been rehashed to death by old browser games since the 90's: "Thera". Thats just Earth jumbled up.

Thera
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#92 - 2014-11-12 18:55:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
13kr1d1 wrote:

I'm not familiar with any other sci fi game that features a place called Thera (although I certainly could have overlooked some)... however I am familiar with ancient Thera here on earth which would appear to be very similar to what we will see in game.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#93 - 2014-11-12 18:59:33 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Jur Tissant wrote:
I am skeptical.

They compare it to a virtual Mos Eisley. But in Mos Eisley, you still watched your step for fear of getting shot if you pissed someone off. In EVE, this fear does not exist, or is severely mitigated.

It's like DayZ. In the real apocalypse, you can't trust anyone. In the virtual apocalypse, you can trust everyone - to shoot you for giggles.

Pretty much this. They're comparing apples and oranges with this Moss Icily thing. One for the simple fact that if things go wrong in one, you are perma-dead.

I think you are missing the point of the Mos Eisley reference. It refers to Mos Eisley being a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" and has little, if anything, to do with what happens when you die. I'm not even sure why people would try to make that comparison.

Ocih
Space Mermaids
Somethin Awfull Forums
#94 - 2014-11-12 19:13:05 UTC
Thera systems are on the map and covert cyno's can be lit once in system?

Thera systems are not on the map and all traffic is herded through wormholes.

Those are the questions that determine how fast Thera content decays in to control by blob, exclusive to blues content.
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#95 - 2014-11-12 19:24:56 UTC
Ocih wrote:

Those are the questions that determine how fast Thera content decays in to control by blob, exclusive to blues content.

It's a w-space with some special rules thrown in, guess if cynoing capitals in is part of that equation when CCP Fozzie explicitly stated that you cannot bring or even build capitals in Thera ? Roll

Not to mention that no cynos or even clonevats for that matter work in regular w-space and I would be very surprised if they would work in Thera either.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
Somethin Awfull Forums
#96 - 2014-11-12 19:32:08 UTC
Baneken wrote:
Ocih wrote:

It's a w-space with some special rules thrown in, guess if cynoing capitals in is part of that equation when CCP Fozzie explicitly stated that you cannot bring or even build capitals in Thera ? Roll

Not to mention that no cynos or even clonevats for that matter work in regular w-space and I would be very surprised if they would work in Thera either.

And I said covert cyno's, not cyno's.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#97 - 2014-11-12 19:43:28 UTC
Charlie Firpol wrote:
There will be 1000 unsuccessful tries to get ships and modules in, people will be getting angry how CCP could even think this is a good idea. It will be a gankers paradise!

Then there will be very few people actually able to get ships and modules in, and they will sell them. For a ton of ISK. They might get filthy rich. And they will say it was the best idea ever. Its a good traders paradise!

Granted that when you can mine in almost total peace with Concord you see lots of min-maxing and isboxing galore too.

And if you are given a gankers paradise, an ability to create choke points and no space police, we'll see the SAME exact min-maxing obsession not with ISK but with kills.

But your assertion might not be correct. If it's a gankers paradise and only a few manage to get modules in for sale, who will buy them?

There won't be mining because that would last 30 seconds. But it's not known what the science and industry availability would be (knowledge check?)

If it is set up to be a gankers paradise and it's just "EC-P8R in wormhole" I would not be surprised to see a large alliance take control and make it possible to use it - for a protection fee of course. Or something like that. Who knows.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Tikitina
Doomheim
#98 - 2014-11-12 20:05:34 UTC
Ocih wrote:
Baneken wrote:
Ocih wrote:

And I said covert cyno's, not cyno's.

I think "no cynos" means all types of cynos, including the covert ones.

The only advantages covert ones have anyways are that they don't show up as a celestial beacon and they bypass Sov cyno jammers. Oh, you can't warp to them either if they are on grid.

Tikitina
Doomheim
#99 - 2014-11-12 20:10:00 UTC
Nick Bete wrote:
Placing a major trade hub in the middle of a lawless piece of space is like placing a stock exchange in downtown Mogadishu. What could possibly go wrong?

CCP can't place a major trade hub anywhere. Its up to the players to decided where such a thing is.

All CCP can do is place a unique system with very different properties and see what happens.
In any case, it will be interesting, especially where the backstory goes, as in things to come....

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#100 - 2014-11-12 20:43:16 UTC
Baneken wrote:
Ocih wrote:

No capital ships doesn't necessarily mean no covert cyno's but I find it doubtful that Thera will be in range for a covert battleship bridge or jump into system.

However the NPC stations will be fully clone capable.