These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How do you explain EVE to friends

First post First post
Author
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#61 - 2014-11-12 17:16:48 UTC
"... have you heard about this great feature called Time Dilation? Ah, well, it's alot like grid-lock, at rush hour, in any sizeable city with really poor public transit planning and no clue whatsoever to do when more and more drivers jump on the freeway each day. Good luck with that."

"... ah, yeah, there's this really great combat tradition where 20 or 30 guys will shoot somebody who can't shoot back. Yep, ganking. Yep, sure, it's like 'ganking' in any other MMO... except in EVE it's considered the 'gold standard' for PVP. Cool, eh ? "

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#62 - 2014-11-12 17:34:16 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:

"... ah, yeah, there's this really great combat tradition where 20 or 30 guys will shoot somebody who can't shoot back. Yep, ganking. Yep, sure, it's like 'ganking' in any other MMO... except in EVE it's considered the 'gold standard' for PVP. Cool, eh ? "

Screw how other MMOs does it, This is EVE.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#63 - 2014-11-12 17:37:42 UTC
I don't have to explain EVE to my friends. Most of them have played it, discovered the bad, and retired to the pony farm over on Failheap.
Erin Crawford
#64 - 2014-11-12 18:27:39 UTC
Gunrunner1775 wrote:

wooosh, biep-biep, bzzzap, rat-tat-tat, zap-zap-zap-zap, aaaargh, KA-BOOOM, booohooohooo, HAHAHA, Cha-ching, wooosh...
Roll

"Those who talk don’t know. Those who know don’t talk. "

Notorious Fellon
#65 - 2014-11-12 18:53:49 UTC
"EVE is everything WoW isn't"

If they ask for more, then I continue. If they look like a deer in headlights, I walk away slowly with my hand on my wallet.

Trust no one.

Crime, it is not a "career", it is a lifestyle.

Shizuken
Venerated Stars
#66 - 2014-11-12 20:11:42 UTC
I refer to it as "Sociopaths Online.". Then they ask me if its " that stupid game where people destroyed $300k worth of internet spaceships..."
Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#67 - 2014-11-12 20:24:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurelius Valentius
All my friends are in EVE... you have non-EVE friends? Shocked

Erin Crawford wrote:
Gunrunner1775 wrote:

wooosh, biep-biep, bzzzap, rat-tat-tat, zap-zap-zap-zap, aaaargh, KA-BOOOM, booohooohooo, HAHAHA, Cha-ching, wooosh...
Roll
- you have truly captured the essence of EVE, in an almost Lincolnian manner... what others have spent hours on about, you have captured in a single line. Bravo! Blink
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#68 - 2014-11-12 20:46:10 UTC
I'm going to start telling people it's WoW in space and then get them to join because people actually play WoW.
Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#69 - 2014-11-12 23:05:05 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
I'm going to start telling people it's WoW in space and then get them to join because people actually play WoW.

- Shameless KB stuffing!... I see what you are up to there!
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#70 - 2014-11-12 23:18:39 UTC
if they play WoW, is baiting them for a referral bonus anything to feel guilty over?
Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#71 - 2014-11-12 23:20:30 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
if they play WoW, is baiting them for a referral bonus anything to feel guilty over?

Don't feel guilty for scamming people into a terrible game. It's their own damn fault. Lol
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#72 - 2014-11-12 23:22:35 UTC
just mention casually that people say EVE is hard to understand, but they're the dumb ones (but you'll be ok).
Delban Crendalion
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2014-11-12 23:24:47 UTC
Gunrunner1775 wrote:

then i go along the lines of .... imagine that dungeon your in with your buddies and you die,.. now imagine that all the gear you are wearing is now GONE cause you died and your left nekkid at your bind point... the look of total shock and horror is priceless

Most of my friends played Everquest in the late 90's, so we already know what it's like to lose all your shiznit every time you die...

"Has anybody seen my corpse??"

BrundleMeth
What IU Doing
Brothers of Tangra
#74 - 2014-11-12 23:41:26 UTC  |  Edited by: BrundleMeth
I don't have any real life friends... Not really interested in hanging with people who want to talk about their kids and grand kids all the time....and I certainly don't want any kids in my house...

I have a few "work" friends but we don't socialize outside of work hours...
Gunrunner1775
Empire Hooligans
#75 - 2014-11-13 00:23:26 UTC
LOL ive actualy enjoyed reading all the posts here, its been quite entertaining, thanks all
Omar Alharazaad
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#76 - 2014-11-13 04:27:22 UTC
BrundleMeth wrote:
I don't have any real life friends... Not really interested in hanging with people who want to talk about their kids and grand kids all the time....and I certainly don't want any kids in my house...

I have a few "work" friends but we don't socialize outside of work hours...

My RL friends know I have a strict 'No Loinspawn' policy when it comes to my place.
My work associates are the fun ones to talk to EVE about, as after about ten minutes or so they're looking at me like I'm the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons... and they're probably right.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Arronicus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#77 - 2014-11-13 05:48:33 UTC
"It's about spaceships and trade and diplomacy. It's really boring, you wouldn't like it."

If they inquire further, I show them the zero punctuation video.

If beyond that, they show interest in the game, I'll explain it to them. Those two first steps really save a lot of time and frustration, for both parties.
Lady Areola Fappington
#78 - 2014-11-13 06:07:14 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
just mention casually that people say EVE is hard to understand, but they're the dumb ones (but you'll be ok).

This is basically my technique for getting friends to play Eve.

"Ohh, Eve, yeah...well, it's kinda a difficult game. Hard to understand. Pretty sure you won't get it."

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Kaely Tanniss
Black Lotus Society.
#79 - 2014-11-13 07:49:22 UTC
I just tell them to try the trial...if they don't get it, don't like it, or can't handle it...EVE isn't for them anyways Cool

If I had a nickel for every time someone said women don't play eve, I'd have a bag of nickels to whack the next person who said it..

Arla Sarain
#80 - 2014-11-13 09:30:53 UTC
Gunrunner1775 wrote:

It's like glorified IMVU.