These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New hardware

Author
UltraSplash
Ntak Inc.
#1 - 2014-11-12 06:56:34 UTC
Looking for some new hardware.

Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E.7 keyboard -- Anyone have tryed this with teamspeak or some of its other features with eve.

Mabye some input on a mouse would also be nice.

Hope this is the right forum...

Alejandro Rebenga
#2 - 2014-11-12 09:35:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Alejandro Rebenga
Dude, your hair!

edit: beyond F1 and pressing left click to spin my ships, eve really doesnt need that much imo. Twitch fps games maybe, but ive never found eve to be like that even with lowsec.
Noriko Mai
#3 - 2014-11-12 11:19:41 UTC
Cherry G230 works like a charm.

On a side note, you won't become a better pilot with a better keyboard...

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Grauth Thorner
Vicious Trading Company
#4 - 2014-11-12 11:25:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Grauth Thorner
As Alejandro Rebenga said, for EVE you really don't need a lot. But if you'll also play other MMO's (or other games) with it I'd suggest a Razer Naga for a mouse. The extra buttons on the side can really help in some games.

I can hear you thinking: "Oh no! It's a Razer-slave! Reading the rest won't be worth my time!" tbh I'm not really a fan of Razer, kinda learned my lesson, but the Razer Naga is about the only product that's actually very good (it does need some cleaning once a year or so though).

As for the keyboard, if you are willing to spend some more I'd suggest looking at mechanical keyboards. I bought a Ducky Zero DK2108 with brown switches and a set of O-rings a while ago and I really like it. Since the Mad Catz is also a mechanical keyboard, I assume that you already know a thing or two about mechanical keyboards but I'll give it a shot anyway:

tl;dr:
Mechanical keyboard > membrane keyboard, but make sure to pick the right switches.

The difference with membrane keyboards (compared to the cherry brown switches I have) is mainly that the keys need less pressure to push, they only need to be pushed 2mm to be registered, better feedback about when the actuation happens without having to push the keys all the way down, the lifespan should be about 5x higher compared to a common membrane keyboard and they are easier to clean. To make sure the keys make less noise when pushing them all the way down and to give it a more cushy feeling, I applied blue O-rings to them, which also makes sure the keys need less traveling to bottom out (pressing them all the way down). Keep in mind that there are several different kinds of switches, check out cherry-professional-gaming.com for info about different kinds of switches.

Most mechanical keyboards offer n-key rollover (some offer 6-key rollover, which is still enough), this means that every single key is registered regardless of how many keys are already pressed. Most membrane keyboards have trouble registring 3 or more keys, depending on what keys are pressed (for instance, ctrl + alt + 1 is perfectly possible, however f + a + q is not). There are some membrane keyboards however that offer x-key rollover or possibly even n-key rollover, as long as you are willing to pay the price.

Mechanical keyboards are also a lot heavier than membrane keyboards, which makes them less slippery and feel a lot more robust.

Kind regards,
Grauth Thorner

View real-time damage statistics in-game

>EVE Live DPS Graph application forum thread

>iciclesoft.com

Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#5 - 2014-11-12 16:58:19 UTC
The one and only keyboard

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Adrie Atticus
Circle Mercs
#6 - 2014-11-12 17:15:31 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
Cherry G230 works like a charm.

On a side note, you won't become a better pilot with a better keyboard...

WHAAAAAAAA?

I was promised Mad Skillz if I used Mad Catz!
UltraSplash
Ntak Inc.
#7 - 2014-11-12 17:23:02 UTC
Thanks for the replies
Kaahles
Jion Keanturi
#8 - 2014-11-12 19:06:19 UTC
Mech Keyboards are King, do youself a favor and don't buy those "Gaming" Mech keyboards. They are good but you can do much better. The already mentioned ducky thingies are supposed to be really awesome, DasKeyboard is good as well just to name a few. Logitech, Razer etc. work as well but they are not that good for basically the same price (just a side effect of all the mech-keyboard-hype these days)

As for the mouse. Well EVE does not really need that much micro but if you play other games or just want a really good mouse I personally run a Mionix Naos 7000. But pricey but super light weight, precise, fast and comfortable to use. Plus it has an optical sensor that is not a laser, which is quite rare these days . Used laser mice for a long time but was never quite happy with the inherent acceleration issues the sensors have, especially on cloth pads.

Oh and this is probably a post for the OOPE forum :p
45thtiger 0109
Living Breathing Fuel Blocks
#9 - 2014-11-13 00:06:10 UTC
Kaahles wrote:
Mech Keyboards are King, do youself a favor and don't buy those "Gaming" Mech keyboards. They are good but you can do much better. The already mentioned ducky thingies are supposed to be really awesome, DasKeyboard is good as well just to name a few. Logitech, Razer etc. work as well but they are not that good for basically the same price (just a side effect of all the mech-keyboard-hype these days)

As for the mouse. Well EVE does not really need that much micro but if you play other games or just want a really good mouse I personally run a Mionix Naos 7000. But pricey but super light weight, precise, fast and comfortable to use. Plus it has an optical sensor that is not a laser, which is quite rare these days . Used laser mice for a long time but was never quite happy with the inherent acceleration issues the sensors have, especially on cloth pads.

Oh and this is probably a post for the OOPE forum :p

We Moved The Post This Way <----------- To OOPE -----------> LolP

**You Have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

Welcome to EvE OnLiNe**