These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can we have an option to hide the Compass?

First post
Author
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#61 - 2014-11-09 15:38:48 UTC
Steve Wingyip wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
CCP has already stated that having options like this is a "cop-out".

After much reflection on this, I have determined that "cop-out" in Icelandic must mean: "too hard"
I can confirm that this is wrong. Smile

Good. That means you should have no problem giving us the option to turn off your nausea-inducing camera-swinging jump animation right?

Because "cop-out" isn't a valid or meaningful response or even a decent excuse when you've got a near-100 page thread going where people are just asking for options. That leaves difficulty or ego as the reason you won't do it, and you just basically stated it's not because it's too hard. Big smile

You could always blame a lack of options due to everything being tied to the POS code.

Remember that the current jump animations have different load times. (Depending on distance) Where as previously they were all the same. Allowing a toggle means increasing the load times for those with the animation turned off.

Citation needed.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#62 - 2014-11-09 19:25:36 UTC
Not to put too fine a point on it, but this comes down to those that use their bookmarks for combat purposes and those that don't. Simply put, if you don't use them for tactical jumps in a combat situation the compass isn't as useful to you.

Combine that with a general lack of understanding about how to use the compass in the first place (indicators of what is above/below your current plane render 2d/3d arguments moot) and ignorance of the fact that most of EVE is laid out on a generally flat plane (as most solar systems are) and the end result is this thread.

Frankly, if the compass had been in EVE since day 1 you would simply accept it as a normal and necessary part of the UI and be outraged if it was removed... and if you think about it really hard you would realize there are a dozen other features of the EVE UI you see every day but rarely (if ever) make use of in your chosen profession.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Knock-knock HellGate
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2014-11-09 22:29:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Knock-knock HellGate
I'd like to hide the overlay because it's annoying me.
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#64 - 2014-11-09 23:19:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Deacon Abox
baltec1 wrote:
How are people so easy to make vomit? Its as nauseating as a clock.

I was talking about the gate jump and the forced camera swing, not the damn compass. But you probably already knew that and just wanted to butt kiss the devs.Roll

Regardless, making too many changes and not increasing the customizability is not smart really. Too many things (large opaque tooltips, gate jump cut scenes that nauseate a portion of the player base, or a new compass that could be distracting and not functional) are being introduced into the game without giving adequate time for feedback or even attention to that feedback. Some get immediate attention after hitting tranquility because they frankly just **** off too many players (tooltips) but even then they remain a pita in some respects.

And while you were right to dispute the assertion that numbers are demonstrably shrinking, they aren't increasing either now are they. The other variable with numbers are how long are people staying on? Probably CCP can figure out how many players are simply logging on to check skills or such and then logging off. Should be interesting to see whether the more than 24 hour skill queue reduces even that reason to log on.Straight

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Doomheim
#65 - 2014-11-09 23:27:07 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
and if you think about it really hard you would realize there are a dozen other features of the EVE UI you see every day but rarely (if ever) make use of in your chosen profession.

I couldn't think of one example that can't be avoided. You can strip the UI right down to just the HUD.

Ranger 1 wrote:
Combine that with a general lack of understanding about how to use the compass in the first place (indicators of what is above/below your current plane render 2d/3d arguments moot) and ignorance of the fact that most of EVE is laid out on a generally flat plane (as most solar systems are) and the end result is this thread.

I started this thread, not because I lack understanding of the tool, but because the marker visibility is linked to the sensor overlay visibility. And it's distracting.
ScorpyX Neoris
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#66 - 2014-11-10 04:10:11 UTC
suggestion: maybe add Autopilot direction on compas? (why not?)
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#67 - 2014-11-10 12:55:59 UTC  |  Edited by: War Kitten
Love the compass and bookmarks in space feature, thanks again CCP!

But in the future, please cater to those who can't figure out how to use a compass or accept even a modicum of change if it confuses them. I know it will drastically increase complexity of the code-base with every single option needing to work with or without every other single option turned on and off. The added testing burden and web of code is totally worth it for these 3-4 people's hard earned subscription money and they should be catered to regardless. I'm sure they're also programming experts and know exactly what they're talking about and asking for - it's JUST a simple check box to turn things on and off after all.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#68 - 2014-11-10 16:16:53 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Love the compass and bookmarks in space feature, thanks again CCP!

But in the future, please cater to those who can't figure out how to use a compass or accept even a modicum of change if it confuses them. I know it will drastically increase complexity of the code-base with every single option needing to work with or without every other single option turned on and off. The added testing burden and web of code is totally worth it for these 3-4 people's hard earned subscription money and they should be catered to regardless. I'm sure they're also programming experts and know exactly what they're talking about and asking for - it's JUST a simple check box to turn things on and off after all.

Well it's good someone knows the numbers, and how to create a strawman.Roll

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Princess Bride
SharkNado
#69 - 2014-11-10 17:44:17 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
... tactical jumps in a combat situation...

Tell us more about how the compass is useful for tactical jumping.

http://eveprincessbride.wordpress.com/

Rayo Atra
Guardians of the Volatile Wine
#70 - 2014-11-10 17:47:00 UTC
are people still playing this game on 17" CRT's or something?

How in the world is this intrusive? Its the way the game looks now.

When did so many older members of the toughest MMO become such piddley, cater to me whiners?

At the end of the day you are paying for a subscription/access to someone else's intellectual property.

No ones forcing you to do this.

Tell you what I do like though: A killer. A dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough.

-Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

Rayo Atra
Guardians of the Volatile Wine
#71 - 2014-11-10 17:48:41 UTC
Princess Bride wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

when flying manually (which you should always do) knowing where in space your TAC is helps you get those final shots off while pointing the ship in the correct direction without fumbling with menus.

Tell you what I do like though: A killer. A dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough.

-Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

Princess Bride
SharkNado
#72 - 2014-11-10 17:51:09 UTC
Rayo Atra wrote:
Princess Bride wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

when flying manually (which you should always do) knowing where in space your TAC is helps you get those final shots off while pointing the ship in the correct direction without fumbling with menus.

And this has what to do with jumping?

http://eveprincessbride.wordpress.com/

King Fu Hostile
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#73 - 2014-11-10 18:32:05 UTC
Tavin Aikisen wrote:
A 2D compass in a 3D area is USELESS. In some systems there are so many blips on the compass that the entire thing looks like a rainbow. It provides no information.

I agree a 2D compass would be utterly useless, fortunately the one around your HUD displays also information about the Y-axis. Having Z on it would be super awesome, maybe they could use brightness for that.

Y-axis info is one of the most useful features of the compass.
Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#74 - 2014-11-10 19:48:23 UTC
Rayo Atra wrote:
are people still playing this game on 17" CRT's or something?

How in the world is this intrusive? Its the way the game looks now.

When did so many older members of the toughest MMO become such piddley, cater to me whiners?

At the end of the day you are paying for a subscription/access to someone else's intellectual property.

No ones forcing you to do this.

Most laptopps are still somewhere in the 1366x768 or 1600x900 range.

Intrusive might be due to it being an addition which is of no value to some people and they want it gone.

Having a product not degrade in quality is now whining?

If people stop paying the subscription, then those who are for the change also suffer, both sides have equally (worthless) amount of weight behind their subscription(s).

No one is forcing you to complain about legitimate issues (this is one as it hasn't been locked as redundant).
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#75 - 2014-11-10 20:08:18 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but this comes down to those that use their bookmarks for combat purposes and those that don't. Simply put, if you don't use them for tactical jumps in a combat situation the compass isn't as useful to you.

Frankly, if the compass had been in EVE since day 1 you would simply accept it as a normal and necessary part of the UI and be outraged if it was removed... and if you think about it really hard you would realize there are a dozen other features of the EVE UI you see every day but rarely (if ever) make use of in your chosen profession.

So much this. The new system is a lot better for managing your tactical position on the grid. I didn't even realize I was just doing it all in my head until this feature came out. On day one it was novel. As I've grown accustomed to it that's shifted to "very useful". If I were worth a damn in PvP I could see it becoming "critical".

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Daemun Khanid
Corbeau de sang
#76 - 2014-11-11 00:03:55 UTC
Usefull would have been putting BM's on the over "view" not the over "lay". Missed that little detail when reading patch notes and got happy. Patched and realized my error, got disappointed. To each their own if you like it good for you. To me its slower than the people places menu which is in turn slower than the local overview and is therefore of no use othe than a distracting visual graphic. A properly setup screen in EvE is already bordering on information overload. We need better functionality and streamlining, not moving (distracting) graphical displays. I'm quite content with just being able to turn off what it shows but fail to find any use for the things it does. If it could be configured to show ships within "X" au it would be absolutely awesome for watching your gate in plexes, as it stands though...not so much. IMO

Daemun of Khanid

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#77 - 2014-11-11 00:25:25 UTC
Daemun Khanid wrote:
Usefull would have been putting BM's on the over "view" not the over "lay". Missed that little detail when reading patch notes and got happy. Patched and realized my error, got disappointed. To each their own if you like it good for you. To me its slower than the people places menu which is in turn slower than the local overview and is therefore of no use othe than a distracting visual graphic. A properly setup screen in EvE is already bordering on information overload. We need better functionality and streamlining, not moving (distracting) graphical displays. I'm quite content with just being able to turn off what it shows but fail to find any use for the things it does. If it could be configured to show ships within "X" au it would be absolutely awesome for watching your gate in plexes, as it stands though...not so much. IMO

...so basically EvE with a command line UI.

Daemun Khanid
Corbeau de sang
#78 - 2014-11-11 01:29:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Daemun Khanid
Gogela wrote:
Daemun Khanid wrote:

DOS rocks. Does everything you want it to, nothing you dont, doesnt hog resources and never gets in the way. Roll
If you want pointless graphics they might as well replace the scanner list with a radar sweep and make people i.d. contacts based on track history and signal return characteristics.

Daemun of Khanid

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#79 - 2014-11-11 02:05:51 UTC
Daemun Khanid wrote:
Gogela wrote:
Daemun Khanid wrote:

DOS rocks. Does everything you want it to, nothing you dont, doesnt hog resources and never gets in the way. Roll
If you want pointless graphics they might as well replace the scanner list with a radar sweep and make people i.d. contacts based on track history and signal return characteristics.

Ha! I knew it! Lol

Nah I like CLI most of the time too. It is a lot faster and more efficient. I just think selling EvE to nubs is hard enough without having to dispel myths about how we "program" our way through space.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#80 - 2014-11-11 04:25:51 UTC
Princess Bride wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

How many bookmarks do you make when leading a fleet Princess?

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.