These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Advice on avoiding the Suicide gank

First post
Author
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#481 - 2014-11-08 14:25:29 UTC
Tanking ships is effective because if

[number of ships needed to gank you] > [number of pilots available]

they will look for someone they can gank with their numbers.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#482 - 2014-11-08 14:26:49 UTC
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
The key thing is to make it so people have ways to disrupt your activities if they care too, does that bother you?

It would be a good thing actually. Though I doubt, that denying docking rights to pilots with low security status is the right way to go.

On the other side, the vocal anti ganking crowd is not looking forward to this kind of solution. They'd rather have a safe(r) highsec that doesn't require any efforts on their part to be safe(r).

Industrial highsec entities with the knowledge and passion to defend themselves are also able to cope with ganking and usually don't care much about wardecs. If they don't want to be bothered or do care about wardecs, they are either renting in null anyway or they know how to maintain a low profile.

The vocal anti-ganking crowd are often emotional, the key thing to look at in terms of any game is game balance, my suggestion is to make it slightly harder in terms of docking issues which create vulnerabilities that could be exploited by people that truly want to fight.

The convoy duty is the only way people can interact with gankers at this point and that is something that just is not going to happen. I was bored in Eve and looked at white knighting to see if it was something fun to do, the fact is that it is not fun, the mechanics make it so that all you can really do is be vocal about it, fighting is not an option. I have proposed something that tilts it away from sitting in a belt waiting for a ganker to go after a mining barge nearby, to one where you can actually go and hunt and kill, which is what Eve gameplay is all about!

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Black Pedro
Mine.
#483 - 2014-11-08 14:54:19 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

Of course making any changes like this would make it harder for them, but my objective is to create points of weakness so that players can attack them, at the moment its convoy duty only and people don't do that because its as boring as hell, I am trying to turn it into hunter killer activities so that people actually try to fight, there is no point with current mechanics.

Its all about scale, I thought it unbalanced that a single catalyst could destroy the best tanked mining ship and pod them in a 0.9 system, in other words even if I tanked to the best I could there was no way to survive, at last CCP changed the mining ships so I now mine in a tanked Skiff, when I mine that is, its not about fairness, its all about game balance. At this point the mechanics are such that fighting back has no value in it.

Sure, there needs to be balance. Having the choice to mine in a Hulk (more risk, more yield) or a Skiff (less risk, slightly less yield) is good game play (although personally I think the Skiff is a little too strong currently). If all mining ships were too strong for a single Catalyst to take, or alternatively too weak, there would no longer be any trade-offs to be made by the miner.

As I have said I am all for changes to give players more ways to fight back against criminals. However, making gankers jump through more NPC-enforced hoops is not going to change anything. Locking -10's out from stations will just force them to use neutral Orca's which can stay cloaked at safe spots and provides very little "points of weakness" at the cost of locking single account players from a ganking career, and raises a whole host of issues with players being locked out of parts of space which CCP has said is against the design intent of the game.

Maybe a deployable which gives gankers some advantage (20% faster GCC recovery? and protection from the faction police), but is costly and destroyable? Something else that they could use as a base (some special hidden pirate POS) but also could be tracked down and attacked? I am just throwing out random ideas off the top of my head, but whatever it is needs to have other players spend some effort in enforcing these anti-ganking mechanisms, not just more "consequences" that make a necessary part of the game more difficult.

Ships, especially overloaded and AFK ones, are suppose to blow up in this game. Gankers are the mechanism enforcing this risk, really the only completely unpredictable risk, to other players in highsec. This is the way it is suppose to be, so putting artificial hurdles, beyond those necessary to prevent those with massive resources from permanently shutting down highsec systems, is counter-productive to the design of this part of the game. We need this risk to keep things interesting - to keep people from always flying max yield/max cargo fits and AFKing their way to profit.

Yes, ideally there should be some some interesting gameplay around this game mechanic since ganking is PvP at its core and that is what Eve is about. But even if there was absolutely no way to get back at a ganker, ganking would still be a necessary reality of the competitive sandbox, especially since there are a multitude of ways to keep your ships near 100% safe from ganking in highsec. As CCP Falcon said, it is the player's job to protect their assets, and they have more than enough tools to do this.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#484 - 2014-11-08 14:56:53 UTC
McChicken Combo HalfMayo wrote:
Variance: You can gank for profit, for fun, for territory control, and so on. You can gank haulers, freighters, miners, mission, auto-piloters. Different ships used with different tactics employed. Some require real scouting, some require simple gate camping. Give me a break... it's more variant than every form of PVE.
By variance I mean variance in outcome, not variance in why you decide to do it. Like with what Black Pedro was suggesting regarding variany concord response times.

Unpredictable risks: That is the fault of players mostly let's be real. I have been shut down mid gank before by a Griffin that timed his arrival perfectly. I've been podded by a corp member of a miner after I ganked the barge. As I explained a few pages ago a fleet of logistics battleships can shut down large gank fleets attempting to keel a freighter if the freighter is fit correctly. These are all risks.
Yer, the gank ship is disposable anyways, but that doesn't mean no risk... no, that would be like arguing no one in FW or RvB has risk because they just fly frigs and empty clones and die all the time.
It's not the fault of the players that the mechanics to ganking are so trivial that they barely have a margin for error. There's nearly nothing that is base on personal skill or luck.

[Ganker loss is still a real loss too you should know. I don't bat an eye when CONCORD pops my ship but if some anti-gankers catch me on a gate I'm as affected by the loss as I would be if I got popped somewhere in lowsec. That's not just me. Failing a gank or being caught on the gate/station sucks like any other loss. The risk of that happening is real and almost every ganker who's been at it long enough has been caught at some point.
Bull. Nobody cares about losing one of the hundreds of gank catalysts they have laying about.

[Yes there is a point Lucas. It is a lot harder to gank when you are -10. You can't sit in one spot for more than a few seconds. That means gate camping for targets is not possible without using one of a few warp in techniques that need to be timed perfectly and even then don't always work, leaving you exposed to players. FC for -10 fleets is a nightmare!
Well you're obviously doing it wrong. During burn Jita and the ice interdictions we had plenty of -10s. As long as they weren't providing the warpin, their sec was irrelevant.

[The cost of tags has to be balanced against players (gankies and lowsex pirates) that use the tags more constantly. You know I was arguing the cost is significant when used constantly so don't strawman and pretend I think that 300m after a long ganking career is a lot.
Except it's not significant. Not even remotely. Compare it to how much grinding you used to have to do to get it back up. And again, you don;t have to use them constantly. If you choose to, then the cost is from your choice, not the cost of tags.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Arkumord Churhee
Nice Try.
#485 - 2014-11-08 15:36:16 UTC
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#486 - 2014-11-08 16:19:54 UTC
Oxide Ammar wrote:
As long as gankers bring n+1 (because simply they don't give a **** about consequences ) all the previous suggestions here for tanking your ships doesn't hold any value in its words. it can save you occasionally against wannabe ganker/pirate but if they really want to gank they will manage it since the mechanics in their favors. You are fooling the victims or yourself ?

An example of what I said earlier, since they can't make themselves 100% safe, they take NO advice and no precautions and exert no effort because "hey, they can just bring n+1". It's like saying "I have warm clothes I could wear but if the temp gets low enough, they won't prevent me from getting frost bite, so I might as well just walk outside naked.."

In real life, people still wear seat belts even though those things can kill you under the right circumstances, cops and soldiers still wear body armor even though that's not 100%, during a Tornado people still hide in the safest part of the house even thoguh that doens't help you survive a direct hit etc etc. EVE mimics real life in that there is no 100% safe option other than not undocking (and even then you can 'die' if some a-hole script kiddie DDOSes the servers lol).

Some gamers don't want anything that feels like real life does, they want an 'escape', to be the hero, to be powerful and 100% immune from harm. They picked the wrong game for that.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#487 - 2014-11-08 23:45:36 UTC
The idea that gankers would create enough gank alts to overcome a 6 hour GCC timer is preposterous. They would quickly go broke. And anyhow, we could just make it 12 hours, or 18 hours, until the right balance is met, and the guys gotta go grind sec status to let them gank better. And that's the key, force gankers to spend time doing boring things between ganks. That makes ganking more boring, and forces them to hit high value targets instead of popping shuttles and pods for lolz. Like any law enforcement system, harsher punishments mean less crime.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#488 - 2014-11-08 23:50:38 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
The idea that gankers would create enough gank alts to overcome a 6 hour GCC timer is preposterous. They would quickly go broke. And anyhow, we could just make it 12 hours, or 18 hours, until the right balance is met, and the guys gotta go grind sec status to let them gank better. And that's the key, force gankers to spend time doing boring things between ganks. That makes ganking more boring, and forces them to hit high value targets instead of popping shuttles and pods for lolz. Like any law enforcement system, harsher punishments mean less crime.

Why should their activity be crushed virtually out of existence so that people who refuse to do anything for themselves can be protected from pvp in a pvp game?
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#489 - 2014-11-09 00:35:20 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Why should their activity be crushed virtually out of existence so that people who refuse to do anything for themselves can be protected from pvp in a pvp game?

Because their "activity" is just a demonstration that the criminal justice system is ineffective and broken. Like awoxxers their "activity" serves only to entertain themselves while irritating and frustrating most of the people in highsec, and encouraging risk aversion and boredom. Being able to operate at -10 in highsec isn't a profession, it's just a reflection of the fact that the current consequences for repeat ganking are insufficient to deter people from doing it...and much like awoxxing that means a lot of new/casual players getting blown up, getting frustrated, and quitting the game. It also means that professions like hauling and mining get more dangerous for casual players, discouraging them from engaging in those activities, and letting the ISBoxoer/botter fleets take over. This is good for Eve how?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#490 - 2014-11-09 00:47:49 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Veers Belvar wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Because their "activity" is just a demonstration that the criminal justice system is ineffective and broken. Like awoxxers their "activity" serves only to entertain themselves while irritating and frustrating most of the people in highsec, and encouraging risk aversion and boredom. Being able to operate at -10 in highsec isn't a profession, it's just a reflection of the fact that the current consequences for repeat ganking are insufficient to deter people from doing it...and much like awoxxing that means a lot of new/casual players getting blown up, getting frustrated, and quitting the game. It also means that professions like hauling and mining get more dangerous for casual players, discouraging them from engaging in those activities, and letting the ISBoxoer/botter fleets take over. This is good for Eve how?

So can you point us to any evidence that shows the drivel you just posted is anywhere near being truthful. Keep in mind that ships such as the freighter are in the top 5 least likely to get blown up in EVE and the fact that CCP themselves stated that barge ganking is lower than a few years ago. Also by all means please show us all of these new players getting blown up for no reason.

Also, Awoxing has not gone away.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#491 - 2014-11-09 01:40:30 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

So can you point us to any evidence that shows the drivel you just posted is anywhere near being truthful. Keep in mind that ships such as the freighter are in the top 5 least likely to get blown up in EVE and the fact that CCP themselves stated that barge ganking is lower than a few years ago. Also by all means please show us all of these new players getting blown up for no reason.

Also, Awoxing has not gone away.

Go read the CSM minutes. The overwhelming consensus is that awoxxing is making the game more boring, by encouraging risk adverseness and solo play among highsec players, leading to poor retention numbers. The same applies to the -10 suicide ganking gangs, by making hauling, an already boring activity, dangerous and potentially unprofitable, it encourages people to not do it, and raises prices throughout highsec, to the detriment of casual players. It's fun for a few gankers, and miserable for everyone else.

The numbers out of Uedama don't lie, nor does the number of blown up freighters/JFs. It's way up, Red Frog raised their prices, and the frustration is mounting. Not to mention that the gankers are doing this all without facing any real consequences to discourage them from continuing - at this rate it could continue indefinitely. CCP has not released new ganking/freighter destruction numbers post this crazy campaign...but the 1 trillion + isk in damage by CODE last month, almost all in highsec, is essentially unprecedented in Eve history.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#492 - 2014-11-09 01:54:04 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Veers Belvar wrote:

Go read the CSM minutes. The overwhelming consensus is that awoxxing is making the game more boring, by encouraging risk adverseness and solo play among highsec players, leading to poor retention numbers.

Wrong. It was pointed out that high sec awoxing was seen as a big reason why people didn't leave NPC corps. In terms of use Awoxing in highsec was very rare and seen by just about everyone as mostly pointless. Awoxing almost always happens outside of highsec and is unchanged.

Veers Belvar wrote:

The same applies to the -10 suicide ganking gangs, by making hauling, an already boring activity, dangerous and potentially unprofitable, it encourages people to not do it, and raises prices throughout highsec, to the detriment of casual players. It's fun for a few gankers, and miserable for everyone else.

Im sorry but, how exactly is hauler being made boring by making it more dangerous? Boring would be transporting billions in cargo with zero risk or effort.

Veers Belvar wrote:

The numbers out of Uedama don't lie, nor does the number of blown up freighters/JFs.
Oh no, a dosen ships lost out of tens of thousands of trips made.

Veers Belvar wrote:

Not to mention that the gankers are doing this all without facing any real consequences to discourage them from continuing

Ah this old gem.

Go on, list all of the drawbacks and things needed to gank a freighter, lets see if you can get this right after countless months of people giving you the answer.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#493 - 2014-11-09 02:27:30 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Lucas Kell wrote:
It's not the fault of the players that the mechanics to ganking are so trivial that they barely have a margin for error. There's nearly nothing that is base on personal skill or luck.
It's the fault of the players that gankers aren't stopped when they have tools to fight back. It wouldn't be so trivial to gank if there were people (who don't suck) trying to stop it.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Bull. Nobody cares about losing one of the hundreds of gank catalysts they have laying about.
And no one cares about losing a Rifter in FW. It's not about the price of the ship, it's about the risk of being killed by another player. No one likes dying at the hands of others.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Well you're obviously doing it wrong. During burn Jita and the ice interdictions we had plenty of -10s. As long as they weren't providing the warpin, their sec was irrelevant.
Not true. I saw warp-ins fail because the freighter was still being bumped too fast, resulting in gankers being out of range and being picked off before the gank started. I was talking about ganks at gates anyways though. Those thrasher gankers that go for autopiloters can be picked off the moment they land by anti-gankers, well before they get a chance to cycle their guns for the pod and perhaps before even killing the shuttle. Once again it's a failure on the part of players that this doesn't happen considering these autopilot gankers are in the same 3-4 systems each day.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Except it's not significant. Not even remotely. Compare it to how much grinding you used to have to do to get it back up. And again, you don;t have to use them constantly. If you choose to, then the cost is from your choice, not the cost of tags.
And that grinding was a bad game mechanic, which is why they changed it. It's not significant if used eventually, it is significant if used constantly. I find that makes the feature rather balanced.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Lady Areola Fappington
#494 - 2014-11-09 02:47:42 UTC
The funny bit of it all, you can do a lot of damage to suicide gankers....by suicide ganking. Sit on a gate, scan cargos, and when you see a freighter full of typical gank gear, pop it. Sure, losing one catalyst to a successful gank isn't a big deal, but losing a shipment of them without even getting to pop a miner, that stings.

Of course, E-bushido and ~space honor~ get in the way of that. We're playing Good Guys and Bad Guys here. Doing things like exploring the moral ambiguity of using a ganker's tactics against them is a smidge too complex for the typical carebear. If they can't beat it using Good Guy Space Honor tactics, then it needs to be nerfed by CCP.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#495 - 2014-11-09 03:44:55 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
The funny bit of it all, you can do a lot of damage to suicide gankers....by suicide ganking. Sit on a gate, scan cargos, and when you see a freighter full of typical gank gear, pop it. Sure, losing one catalyst to a successful gank isn't a big deal, but losing a shipment of them without even getting to pop a miner, that stings.

Of course if I move my gank stuff I use a triple bulkhead fit don't autopilot and have a scout who actually checks out the systems. Now how unfair is that, my stuff is almost invincible. We should call CCP and ask them to nerf something.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#496 - 2014-11-09 06:32:06 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Why should docking rights be removed? You like others, seem to be looking for NPC mechanics, instead of what CCP like to look for which is player driven ones.

It is in large part NPC mechanics, that drive -10 player into dock. Why not simply remove that need to dock, instead of trying to fix an NPC mechanic with another bad one?

Or remove one before adding the other, if NPC hand holding is what you really need. But let's face it, it wouldn't stop anything. It merely adds yet more pointless restrictions, which are easy to circumvent.

Mag's, what I am searching for is to change the mechanics so that there is a possibility to fight, or a way for people to disrupt CODE for example, I like the fact that Ganking occurs, however its too easy. My suggestion was to make it so people had to do more work, like undocking with another toon and exiting the ship, or using a POS or using an Orca, all of the three detailed give more risk and a bit more effort, and ways that people can try to disrupt them, rather than the current method.

In another thread I talked to a merc corp about the difference between convoy duty whcih is what Indy corps wanted as compared to hunter killer which is what mercs want to do, so I am pushing the undock suggestion as a way to enable hunter killer rather than convoy.

The restrictions are to make people more vulnerable, its not pointless.
Yes but what you are asking for is restrictions on another's play style, with little thought on the implications.

If you are really after restricting the play style of others, then gather a group together and shoot them. Start an RPG on the reasons why and get pilots to contribute. Just because you don't like someones gaming, doesn't mean that CCP should place pointless restrictions upon them.

Like I said, a large part of why they sit docked is down to another NPC mechanic. Facpo. Surely if you wanted more player interaction, retribution and restriction upon players like CODE, then why not stop Facpo shooting them. If after that nothing much changed, then look at docking restrictions.

I'd rather see changes that meant more player options, than ones that meant less. Don't you?

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#497 - 2014-11-09 08:26:43 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Like I said, a large part of why they sit docked is down to another NPC mechanic. Facpo. Surely if you wanted more player interaction, retribution and restriction upon players like CODE, then why not stop Facpo shooting them. If after that nothing much changed, then look at docking restrictions.

Well.... Dock is the simplest thing to do actually.

Let's say Facpo no more attacks you. Ok. Then you can spend your time between attacks in space with danger to be scaned and hunted by players. Or you can spend this time sitting docked and safe. Actually i don't see any reasons to prefer space in this case.

Mag's wrote:
I'd rather see changes that meant more player options, than ones that meant less. Don't you?

Me too. But when you use dedicated alt to do ganking you don't need many options i guess. You have them on your main alts.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Steppa Musana
Doomheim
#498 - 2014-11-09 08:43:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Steppa Musana
No more facpo would be a great change, I and others have been suggesting that for some time.

If you get ganked hauling or mining you're just lazy or an idiot, or both. I'm a whiney entitled carebear and even I think that.

Bumping needs to be looked at though. I don't care how many ECM or logi alts and how much EHP you have, congrats *maybe* you can't be ganked by the common fleet. They can still keep you bumped all day just to troll you or even ransom you. There needs to be a way to break a bump without counter bumping the bumpers, this isn't Bumper Cars Online, shooting them needs to be an option somehow. They can bring their own fuckin' logi if they have a problem with that.

Oh, crazy idea but maybe add an ECM module that is a lot stronger but only works once then needs to reload for 60 seconds. an ancillary ECM basically, so its a lot LESS effective when its not loaded. Gives anti-gankers ability to jam a Talos or other ECCM ships but doesn't really break game balance beyond that niche situation
Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#499 - 2014-11-09 09:37:19 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

No, the key thing is that no one playing Eve is keen to do convoy protection, in other words sitting in belts guarding something,

Miners sit in belts for hours on end!!! Put a few in warships and let them defend their brothers and themselves. Why is it that high sec miners always need somebody else to solve their problems?

In BRAVE we have a mining/industry corporation that get as many kills as our "elite" pvp coprs. Just by defending themselves.

And so can the high sec miners. It takes effort indeed.
Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#500 - 2014-11-09 09:40:26 UTC
Steppa Musana wrote:
No more facpo would be a great change, I and others have been suggesting that for some time.

If you get ganked hauling or mining you're just lazy or an idiot, or both. I'm a whiney entitled carebear and even I think that.

Bumping needs to be looked at though. I don't care how many ECM or logi alts and how much EHP you have, congrats *maybe* you can't be ganked by the common fleet. They can still keep you bumped all day just to troll you or even ransom you. There needs to be a way to break a bump without counter bumping the bumpers, this isn't Bumper Cars Online, shooting them needs to be an option somehow. They can bring their own fuckin' logi if they have a problem with that.

Oh, crazy idea but maybe add an ECM module that is a lot stronger but only works once then needs to reload for 60 seconds. an ancillary ECM basically, so its a lot LESS effective when its not loaded. Gives anti-gankers ability to jam a Talos or other ECCM ships but doesn't really break game balance beyond that niche situation

FFS learn how to play the game instead of asking for somebody else to solve your problems.

Bumping is easily avoided by:
1st stay at your screen!
2nd keep your ship moving
3rd have some warships near you yourself and bump the bumpers.