These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0

First post
Author
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#61 - 2014-11-08 18:01:34 UTC
Update:

1: With special thanks to MukkBarovian, we now have a missile write up!
2: Unbonused stats for turret comparison are mostly up, and I am going to get brunch and then write up the rest, and maybe do the first couple graphs for them.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Maraner
The Executioners
#62 - 2014-11-08 21:02:56 UTC
Hope this thread gets some Dev attention.

There have been a number of long threads about the decline and fall of BS over the last year or so.

I really really hope this is not being done so that someone can release T3 battleships at some point.

The only BS hull I see these days tend to be NavPocs bridged from titans, c'mon CCP please please throw us a fricken bone here. Many of us love our BS fleets and roaming with them solo is almost impossibly slow, they need to fit in with other ship types and roam as mixed fleets.

Please Fozzie.

Plus give me back my megapulse geddon.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#63 - 2014-11-08 22:26:24 UTC
@ maraner: The t3 battleship thread I run is totally a coincidence. No ulterior motives here. Nope. Not me. Never.

In seriousness, I like the concept of t3 battleships, and of adding a 4th battleship in each race, but keep hearing that something like this is needed before making such proposals, and so this is my current proposal.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#64 - 2014-11-08 23:50:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Bullet Therapist
I think it's worth mentioning in the missile portion of the thread that torpedoes and cruise missiles have a little bit of a strange relationship with other missiles and turrets in terms of their 'tracking' characteristics. They're essentially inverted compared to every other short/long range weapon relationship in the game, which leads to torpedoes applying less damage with less projection than cruise missiles.

Also, I thought when rapid heavy missiles were released that the devs mentioned they would be applying range bonuses and not application bonuses. It seems like right now, they don't get either. I'm not sure if I remember this correctly though.

I'd also like to point out that I'm happy that someone mentioned scan resolution as a balancing factor that should probably be looked at. I think this is true across the board, not just as it applies to CBCs and battleships. I think I'd like to see all subcap ships larger than frigates suffer less scan resolution attrition as ship size increases.

Edit: Also, a typical progression seen with turret weapons is that there is a powergrid/cpu requirement differential between short and long range weapons that favors short ranged weapons. This is also inverted in the case of cruise missiles and torpedoes. We also still don't have ewar that applies to missiles directly or modules for missiles synonomous with tracking enhancers or tracking computers.
Zekora Rally
U2EZ
#65 - 2014-11-09 02:20:11 UTC
Battleships need a good 30% increase in dps across the board. As it stands, we have all sorts of cruisers encroaching on battleship level DPS and tank plus better mobility and agility save for a handful.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#66 - 2014-11-09 05:08:02 UTC
Zekora Rally wrote:
Battleships need a good 30% increase in dps across the board. As it stands, we have all sorts of cruisers encroaching on battleship level DPS and tank plus better mobility and agility save for a handful.

I think that 30% is more than a bit too high as an across the board buff, but certainly some ships and weapons are going to some fairly large increases if all goes as planned, mostly in things that currently under-perform.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#67 - 2014-11-09 05:13:04 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Zekora Rally wrote:

I think that 30% is more than a bit too high as an across the board buff, but certainly some ships and weapons are going to some fairly large increases if all goes as planned, mostly in things that currently under-perform.

That's only because of links and suff thats smaller than an escape pod @5000+m/s.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#68 - 2014-11-09 05:31:18 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Zekora Rally wrote:

That's only because of links and suff thats smaller than an escape pod @5000+m/s.

Or because some weapons just need some real love. Large ACs are in a pretty bad spot for DPS, and are completely inferior out to linked faction point range.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#69 - 2014-11-09 05:38:20 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
...Or because some weapons just need some real love. Large ACs are in a pretty bad spot for DPS, and are completely inferior out to linked faction point range.

Yes poor projectile weapons, need no cap, haz 3 billion alpha and the short range guns have short range, that's really odd.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#70 - 2014-11-09 07:33:15 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
...Or because some weapons just need some real love. Large ACs are in a pretty bad spot for DPS, and are completely inferior out to linked faction point range.

Yes poor projectile weapons, need no cap, haz 3 billion alpha and the short range guns have short range, that's really odd.

Just like missiles, but with less pure of damage selection, lower paper DPS, a different set of problems with application and lower range!

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Lugh Crow-Slave
#71 - 2014-11-09 13:51:34 UTC
If you want to help out the scorp I think rather then adding more jam power to make i relevent i think keeping it mostly the same but adding a cycle time reduction could make it useful in pvp again as well as adding a new way to use ECM/Burst

(depending on the amount of reduction the strength bonus to ECM burst may need to be modified
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#72 - 2014-11-09 14:39:21 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
If you want to help out the scorp I think rather then adding more jam power to make i relevent i think keeping it mostly the same but adding a cycle time reduction could make it useful in pvp again as well as adding a new way to use ECM/Burst

(depending on the amount of reduction the strength bonus to ECM burst may need to be modified

*sigh* ...you never forget your first...

The Scorpion was my first ever battleship when I was still in (EVE-)diapers, only to loose her in a level 4 "Duo of Death" vs. Sanshas - ouch..

Scary territory dear.

The ECM burst bonus is unique but not powerful enough to call broken, since it breakes target locks once and maybe once more 30 seconds later.

I wish the Scorpion would actually be able to poke you from behind and knock you of your feet or out of your ship in our case. That automatic "primary" that the Scorpion has going right now is just sad.

The only thing you will be jamming with her are tech 1 frigates and maybe tech 1 cuisers but everything else will just ignore her or make the call to remove her from the field.

If it were up to me, I would make the Scorpion a "bigger Rook".

Lugh Crow-Slave
#73 - 2014-11-09 14:47:28 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

*sigh* ...you never forget your first...

The Scorpion was my first ever battleship when I was still in (EVE-)diapers, only to loose her in a level 4 "Duo of Death" vs. Sanshas - ouch..

Scary territory dear.

The ECM burst bonus is unique but not powerful enough to call broken, since it breakes target locks once and maybe once more 30 seconds later.

I wish the Scorpion would actually be able to poke you from behind and knock you of your feet or out of your ship in our case. That automatic "primary" that the Scorpion has going right now is just sad.

The only thing you will be jamming with her are tech 1 frigates and maybe tech 1 cuisers but everything else will just ignore her or make the call to remove her from the field.

If it were up to me, I would make the Scorpion a "bigger Rook".

then it would start to but into the Widows role causing it to cycle faster will help it mix well with damping fleets as you raise your chance to jam but they don't last as long

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#74 - 2014-11-09 15:28:56 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
-gets too long to read-

then it would start to but into the Widows role causing it to cycle faster will help it mix well with damping fleets as you raise your chance to jam but they don't last as long

That is not what I want but black ops haven't being changed yet. Meaning that it wouldn't hurt the Scorpion if they do it.

At this time it is difficult to talk about black ops because they lack something cool and unique besides the "bridge 50 bombers there, bomb, come home".

While a nice featue the ships themselves don't offer that much.

When you read "black ops" you think about some cool navy seals that sneak into enemy territory, do stuff, get out and not "jump 50 covert ops bombs with remote operation".

Then we have this current pickle with our entire ewar. That's what I meant, when I said "scary territory".

Lugh Crow-Slave
#75 - 2014-11-09 15:34:46 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

That is not what I want but black ops haven't being changed yet. Meaning that it wouldn't hurt the Scorpion if they do it.

At this time it is difficult to talk about black ops because they lack something cool and unique besides the "bridge 50 bombers there, bomb, come home".

While a nice featue the ships themselves don't offer that much.

When you read "black ops" you think about some cool navy seals that sneak into enemy territory, do stuff, get out and not "jump 50 covert ops bombs with remote operation".

Then we have this current pickle with our entire ewar. That's what I meant, when I said "scary territory".

except other than the Sin black ops are in a very good place and balanced with one another
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#76 - 2014-11-10 01:55:09 UTC  |  Edited by: elitatwo
Lugh, I would rather not go down this road.

That being said, instead of giving, they should not fear to take away - in terms of firepower of smaller ships.

James dear,

when you further analyse the firepower of our existing battleships, you may stumble upon the fact that dps is not always same dps, even when the values are the same.

Let me make an example, imagine a turret - any turret - which does one of the following 300dps:

- a turret that does 3000hp / 10seconds (hint: cruiser size turret)

- a turret that does 300hp / 1 sesonds (hint: frigate size)

- a turret that does 30.000hp / 100 seconds (hint: battleship size)

Which one would you prefer? All things being equal and all of those theoretical guns are doing 300dps.

I hope you get, where I want to go with this.

Xavier Thorm
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#77 - 2014-11-10 03:49:59 UTC
I started to write a longer post, but realized I should probably stay away from talking about specific numbers without doing some of my own math first.

In short, I agree that Battleships and Combat Battlecruisers are, in general, not strong enough currently. I also believe there is room to safely buff them without pushing other classes of ships to obsolescence. The main areas I would prefer to see Battleships excel in are staying power (in the form of higher base HP for their preferred defense) and range (in the form of higher base range on long range large weapons).
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#78 - 2014-11-10 05:11:13 UTC
Xavier Thorm wrote:
I started to write a longer post, but realized I should probably stay away from talking about specific numbers without doing some of my own math first.

In short, I agree that Battleships and Combat Battlecruisers are, in general, not strong enough currently. I also believe there is room to safely buff them without pushing other classes of ships to obsolescence. The main areas I would prefer to see Battleships excel in are staying power (in the form of higher base HP for their preferred defense) and range (in the form of higher base range on long range large weapons).

Fear not, for I intend to spoon feed people the math on all of this by the end of the week (i.e. around this time sunday) and hope to have the initial round of balance proposals out by the next week.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Lurifax
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#79 - 2014-11-10 10:26:48 UTC
A nerf to bombs would go a long way to help the BS.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2014-11-10 10:29:29 UTC
Important aspect. The reduciton to 2 au/s warp speed combined with the mechanics changes was not a 33% nerf. Was a 50% nerf on mobility. Just measure the times on average traveling from jita to amarr for example.

Battleships need a LARGE increase in their staying power and DAMAGE capabilities.

I have seen in high sec wars groups bring waves of thoraxes for 5 jumps, each player several times because it is MORE POWERFUL and efficient than bringing a battleship, because battleships are so slow that they cannot react on the strategic level and when they arrive they are BARELY stronger than a cruiser.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"