These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVEHarmony.com Open Beta: A Public Intel Tool for the Masses!

First post
Author
Jessie Arr
Order of the Black Dagger
#1 - 2014-11-06 01:15:04 UTC
Greetings, everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that EVEHarmony.com is now available for open beta!

EVE Harmony is a site dedicated to making PvP content in EVE as visible as possible. We hope to help players get more of the fights they want, and fewer of the ones they don't!

The site allows for posting of various types of intel, such as gangs, solo pilots, reinforcement timers, sovereignty war, and public PvP events. The site includes a lot of IGB-oriented features, such as the ability to click on an intel report's System to set your autopilot destination there, broadcast your ship type and location in a virtual "Come at me, bro!" to the universe, and our PvP HUD which shows you the most interesting API statistics and intel for your character's current region, updating as you fly around.

Intel that takes more than a little effort to collect (such as reinforcement timers) will be available for sale for a small fee, and those who report the intel will be paid in site credit when other users purchase the intel, allowing those who diligently report intel to the community to be rewarded for their effort!

Disclaimer: This is an open beta, so there will be bugs. The site's development has reached the point where we feel that the site's potential should be evident to those who use it. However there are many more things we still want to work on, improve, add, and fix.

That's where you come in! Seeing how users use the site, and getting feedback from the community will help inform our developers as to what we should work on next. Found a bug? Report it (or exploit it!) and we'll get it fixed soon!

I hope you guys enjoy the site, and use it to get lots of sexy kills! Please post below with any feedback you have about the site, and we'll take it all into consideration as site development continues!

Want to learn more about the site? Read the Site FAQ!

You can also join the discussion ingame in the chat channel 'EVE Harmony Chat'!

Thanks for your time! Fly dangerously!

Order of the Black Dagger is a corp based around a simple goal: getting as much small gang PvP as we can handle. We accept USTZ PvP pilots of all skill levels.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2014-11-06 01:43:33 UTC
Came in to laugh at EVE-centric dating website.

Left with pleasant, but conflicted, feelings.
Jessie Arr
#3 - 2014-11-06 01:51:12 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Came in to laugh at EVE-centric dating website.

Left with pleasant, but conflicted, feelings.

Haha, yeah, since it's planned to be a sort of EVE PvP matchmaking service "find the pew for you!" I figured eveharmony.com was an appropriate name Big smile

Order of the Black Dagger is a corp based around a simple goal: getting as much small gang PvP as we can handle. We accept USTZ PvP pilots of all skill levels.

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#4 - 2014-11-06 03:38:59 UTC
Ok, if youre going to so this, im gonna need to see some changes.

Change #1: You need white hair and a pinstripe suit. Glasses are optional.

Change #2: PvP personality profiles. Are you a Prairie Dog, or a Dingo? How likely are you to cheat on your partner? Do you like to invite strange logistics into the bedroom?

Change #3: Doctorate in psychology, or simply claim you have one.. either way.. its the freakin internet, you can claim what you want. I for instance am a Certified Kentucky Colonel.

Change #4: A section dedicated to giving you free online datin..err... dueling advice. Tips for finding that perfect someone.. and then killing them.

Change #5: Don't forget to brag about how many happy coupl.. ahem.. battles you've helped create.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-11-06 03:48:05 UTC
IT'S A TRAP!!!

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Lucrii Dei
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-11-06 06:28:30 UTC
Intel tools already make things too easy. What?

╔═══ ♥ ═════════════╗

EVEcandy™; An EVE Gallery!

╚══════════════ ♥ ══╝

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#7 - 2014-11-06 06:31:38 UTC
Lucrii Dei wrote:

Then don't use it. Real simple.
Lucrii Dei
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2014-11-06 06:51:25 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
Lucrii Dei wrote:

Nonsense. People will use whatever they can to gain the upper hand. That doesn't make it right. People should work for their own intel.

╔═══ ♥ ═════════════╗

EVEcandy™; An EVE Gallery!

╚══════════════ ♥ ══╝

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#9 - 2014-11-06 07:36:52 UTC
Intel... this is why I'm so conflicted with the tool I'm working on... Also... what stops people from simply submitting tons of fake info to render the information displayed untrusted?

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#10 - 2014-11-06 10:24:01 UTC
Thread has been moved to EVE Technology Lab.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Jessie Arr
#11 - 2014-11-06 11:34:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Jessie Arr
Chribba wrote:
Intel... this is why I'm so conflicted with the tool I'm working on... Also... what stops people from simply submitting tons of fake info to render the information displayed untrusted?

Nothing yet, though eventually there will be a karma system, similar to Ebay/Amazon sellers. Buyers of intel will be able to upvote or downvote the intel based on whether they consider it to be reliable. Intel posted by people who get consistently upvoted will have their intel flagged as being from a more trustworthy source, and vice versa.

Jessie Arr
#12 - 2014-11-06 11:41:10 UTC
Lucrii Dei wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Lucrii Dei wrote:

Nonsense. People will use whatever they can to gain the upper hand. That doesn't make it right. People should work for their own intel.

I would argue that asymmetric intel makes things too easy. When a group with lots of friends and well-curated intel channels goes against a group that does not have these things, then it will make things one-sided.

I'm hoping that EVE Harmony will level the playing field by giving the Little Guy(tm) similar resources to choose fights intelligently.

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-11-06 15:07:11 UTC
As an EvE player you should probably retain a lawyer for legal PvP. Eharmony might get uppity and say it sounds to similar to their site.

But who knows.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#14 - 2014-11-06 17:13:04 UTC
Caviar Liberta wrote:
As an EvE player you should probably retain a lawyer for legal PvP. Eharmony might get uppity and say it sounds to similar to their site.

But who knows.

"I'm Neil Clark Warren, and I invite you to try Eharmony for free this weekend. Take our carefully crafted personality test, so that you can be matched with the assault victim that's right for you."
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#15 - 2014-11-06 17:15:03 UTC
Lucrii Dei wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Lucrii Dei wrote:

Or they can buy it from people that do. A website isn't even required for this; I have sold the location of POS's, particular WH entries, and capitals, all in private chat. Jessie is simply streamlining the process.

If you don't like it, don't use it. Other people can do as they wish.
Princess Honneamise
#16 - 2014-11-07 09:49:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Princess Honneamise
maybe it is stupid, but can i ask you how do you prevent people to submit fake intels ?
because i think that your karma system will be pretty useless .

thx in advance

EVE MOONS PROJECT

http://eve-moons.com

The EVE MOONS PROJECT is the most complete and accurate moons database for Eve Online

Jessie Arr
#17 - 2014-11-08 18:03:58 UTC
Princess Honneamise wrote:
maybe it is stupid, but can i ask you how do you prevent people to submit fake intels ?
because i think that your karma system will be pretty useless .

thx in advance

Instead of trying to identify intel that isn't trustworthy, a much easier problem to solve is identifying intel that comes from trustworthy sources such as users who have their intel upvoted frequently.

The fact that the site is both public and anonymous means that troll posts will always be possible. But eventually a combination of karma and other site features should make it easy to spot, ignore, or hide intel from untrustworthy sources.