These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

'Downtime' modal window has to die!!!! (USE NOTIFICATIONS INSTEAD)

Author
Titsen Nass
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-11-08 10:33:28 UTC
So, people have been playing this game for years on end and should know by now that downtime occurs daily. To new players, not a lot can be lost from not knowing about this downtime.
Is it really needed to have that soul-crushing downtime window pop up every single god damn day? Interrupting whatever important task players are doing.

It's no secret that a lot of action happens around downtime, why do we keep getting interrupted by this lame feature? It's an annoyance of epic proportions.

I like the new notification list that has been added, it's really nice. Can't we receive notifications about downtime there instead?

So much about the EVE UI is ******, but why purposely annoy 20.000+ pilots, by disabling control of their ships, every single day before downtime, due to a ******** modal window.

It's ridiculous.

I can't possibly imagine that it would take more than a couple hours MAX, for a dev to make this happen.

Kill all modal windows that aren't 100% critical. They are annoying as ****.

That's all.

PS: Hire some usability folks.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2014-11-08 10:35:40 UTC
what did you lose?
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#3 - 2014-11-08 10:38:02 UTC
a modal window is one where you can't click on anything else until you click 'ok', right? they're horrible and should only be used for boot.ini-level fuckup notifications
Titsen Nass
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-11-08 10:38:02 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
what did you lose?

HAH, didn't lose anything. It's just the most ******** popup window in all of gaming history.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#5 - 2014-11-08 10:38:52 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
a modal window is one where you can't click on anything else until you click 'ok', right? they're horrible and should only be used for boot.ini-level fuckup notifications

apologies. i meant cockup
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#6 - 2014-11-08 11:05:23 UTC
I forgot what time it was, almost lost a Griffin to a burner mission Lol
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2014-11-08 11:08:41 UTC
Almethea
Trans Stellar Express
#8 - 2014-11-08 11:30:27 UTC
the notification window are stored in the POS code (like many other stuff).

so i guess you understand what will happen...

there's so many thing to fix in eve.... and they fix forum ! GJ! but ok i like it !

CCP Fozzie : AFK cloaking, however, is an entirely social form of power

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#9 - 2014-11-08 13:14:47 UTC
Yup, new notification system is perfect replacement spot for this.

I say go for it.

The Drake is a Lie

King Fu Hostile
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#10 - 2014-11-08 13:20:05 UTC
+1 pretty please CCP, simple new notifications is plenty enough
Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-11-08 13:53:03 UTC
I'd still cheer CCP for the fact that they want to get rid of DT instead of fix a damn popup which can be closed with pressing Enter.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#12 - 2014-11-08 14:06:13 UTC
Adrie Atticus wrote:
I'd still cheer CCP for the fact that they want to get rid of DT instead of fix a damn popup which can be closed with pressing Enter.

As an Australian player, I'd take removal of downtime over removal of modal dialog boxes any day :)

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#13 - 2014-11-09 00:53:40 UTC
what did you lose?

I could see why you would think that. Long winded post, multiple censored words sprinkled in for emphasis, sounds mysteriously like every other 'DT pop-up kill meh!! Gimmeh gimmeh gimmeh for reasonz!' thread ever created.

But you see, the key is to look for the sure fire qualifiers like 'reimbursement' and 'entitled to', as well as overuse of exclamation marks and caps lock, maybe with some non-sensical ramblings or an embellished play-by-play of how 'they were winning until...'.

No, unfortunately, I believe what we are witnessing is someone who's buddy was raging in corp chat about.. well pretty much the above sentiments, and it inspirited the op to create this thread, possibly in order to secure some likes by the General Discussion community. That, and its a slow whine thread day.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#14 - 2014-11-09 01:20:29 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Adrie Atticus wrote:

As an Australian player, I'd take removal of downtime over removal of modal dialog boxes any day :)

I was going to make a joke about downtime being your beach tax but I don't want to give Abbott any ideas.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#15 - 2014-11-09 01:45:07 UTC
Yes Im sure its fine if your running one client. Start running more and its just annoying. I like the notification thing myself as its just purposeless clicking.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#16 - 2014-11-09 04:26:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
I must admit that out of all the things I've found in my many years of playing this game that upset me enough to make a thread about, the downtime pop-up is way down near the bottom of the list. In fact, I can't remember an occasion where it actually impacted my game negatively in the least.

It might have even saved my ship on a few sleepy predawn flights into hell.

Mr Epeen Cool
Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#17 - 2014-11-09 04:45:45 UTC
+1 Seems like an easy fix.
Jack Morrison
Team Liquid crp.
#18 - 2014-11-09 07:23:54 UTC
+1

Looking for a group to pew with ? Have a chat with me.

Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#19 - 2014-11-09 13:21:41 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
what did you lose?

I could see why you would think that. Long winded post, multiple censored words sprinkled in for emphasis, sounds mysteriously like every other 'DT pop-up kill meh!! Gimmeh gimmeh gimmeh for reasonz!' thread ever created.

But you see, the key is to look for the sure fire qualifiers like 'reimbursement' and 'entitled to', as well as overuse of exclamation marks and caps lock, maybe with some non-sensical ramblings or an embellished play-by-play of how 'they were winning until...'.

No, unfortunately, I believe what we are witnessing is someone who's buddy was raging in corp chat about.. well pretty much the above sentiments, and it inspirited the op to create this thread, possibly in order to secure some likes by the General Discussion community. That, and its a slow whine thread day.

This post impresses me.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Christopher AET
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2014-11-09 14:16:16 UTC
I think moving it to notifications is quite the right thing to do.

+1 for the idea

Did not need so many words though

I drain ducks of their moisture for sustenance.