These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

What's the motivation of a nullsec AFK-cloaker?

First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#21 - 2014-11-08 00:00:43 UTC
For someone talking about intelligence, you would assume he would know that bell curve is two words.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Xavier Holtzman
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#22 - 2014-11-08 00:10:27 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Antelopes hate cloaky afk campers too.

A moose once bit my sister ...

I do not like the men on this spaceship. They are uncouth and fail to appreciate my better qualities. I have something of value to contribute to this mission if only they would realize it. - Bill Frug

somedudeinaship
Star Whorz
#23 - 2014-11-08 00:22:53 UTC
Reasons:

Intel Gathering

Sight Seeing in Nullsec and better understanding who is where and friends with whom

The thrill of danger around any corner

Doing it for the lols

Sneaking around for fun and seeing how close you can get to enemy ships without them knowing it, and perhaps stealing their mission loot :D

Experimenting with odd fits plus the above

Other reasons
Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#24 - 2014-11-08 01:00:30 UTC
Threads like this would be reason enough for me, if I thought I needed a justification to anything in this game.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Silky Cyno
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#25 - 2014-11-08 01:11:54 UTC
They want to deny access to a system, because you never know if they have a cyno.

Best thing to do would be move to another system.

Is it worth their money to park an account in a system for days or weeks ? who knows.
Amyclas Amatin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2014-11-08 01:12:45 UTC
http://i.imgur.com/Q4wPVDQ.jpg

For more information on the New Order of High-Sec, please visit: http://www.minerbumping.com/

Remember that whenever you have a bad day in EVE, the correct reponse is "Thank you CCP, may I please have another?"

KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#27 - 2014-11-08 01:19:45 UTC
Really?

*sigh*

Roll

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Saisin
Chao3's Rogue Operatives Corp
#28 - 2014-11-08 02:56:52 UTC
Unfortunately, afk cloaking is one of the tools that the eve super powers have to do some economic and psychological warfare against their foes, or anyone that they do not like for whatever reasons....

As stated before, a single neutral cloakie in the system can dry down the activity in that system simply by fear of hot drop.

Afk cloaking requires a alt fully dedicated in a system 24/7. It is not something the casual player can afford. So it is mostly directed by power players that have a lot of resources and gather data, while hampering game activities in said systems.

The problem of afk cloaking is that combined with metacode resources like overview alarms, it can be really effective as any sign of overview activity may simply bring the player back to their screens, and there is really no counters to it.
Those that say that people should not be afraid of a single afk cloaked are mostly disingenuous.

Afk cloaking needs a counter, and I hope that CCP will handle this issue... with the recent changes, I have good hope that they will tackle this issue for good at some point....

Vote Borat Guereen for CSM XII

Check out the Minarchist Space Project

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#29 - 2014-11-08 03:35:38 UTC
Awesome MILF wrote:
Easy answer is griefing

But what is the real benefit of sitting an alt ruining someone else's economy and overal well-being during insane amounts of time every single day? I understand it can be fun to do it once in a while, but what about those who keep their alts for months 23/7 over a same system?

I mean they are wasting electricity, efforts logging in right after downtime, and of course a whole character/account this means 15 bucks a month or 850m isk, you choose...

What is the point? Personal reasons in example revenge? Childhood trauma?

This post is the reason.

No, I really mean this, just like posts liek you see in GD are the reason for suicide ganking (along with making isk), reactions like yours is the reaosn for afk cloaking along with the strategic value of denyinh people the abilty to make isk.

Stop bitcing about it, fit to counter it, fleet up and their efforts come to nothing. But if you dock up and do nothing, while that afk cloaker is wasting 850 mil per MONTH, he stopped an alliance from making 850 mil per DAY.

oh and btw:

[Typhoon, screw U AFKguy Sansha Space]
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Ballistic Control System II

Large Micro Jump Drive
'Cetus' ECM Shockwave I
EM Ward Field II
Thermic Dissipation Field II
Medium C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I

'Arbalest' Cruise Launcher I, Mjolnir Auto-Targeting Cruise Missile I
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Drone Speed Augmentor I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Gecko x1
Berserker II x1
Valkyrie II x2
Warrior II x1
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#30 - 2014-11-08 03:47:50 UTC
Why do I AFK Cloak? Its simple.

I do it because people's imaginations are more deadly than any attacker ever could be.

I do it because instead of coming out to see what that mysterious neut in local is really doing, they decide to stay docked up, holding their knees and rocking in the corner, mumbling to themselves "Cant undock, the neut will get me. Cant undock, the neut will get me.." The boogeyman is everywhere. Imaginations are running wild.

I do it because probing is too mainstream, d-scan is too mainstream, ::effort:: is too mainstream. Half my "AFK Cloakers" aren't even cloakers.. theyre unfit noobships slightly off-grid to a planet! None have died yet! Tell me again why you need that fancy 'Cloaky hunting Desi" Mr F&I if you cant even be arsed to find a ship that's NOT CLOAKED?!?!?

I do it for the local banter. If words could destroy my ships, im sure theyd be destroyed 500x over by now. I learn more about my mother's bedroom activities from local in my camped systems than I do from my father. I think most camped carebears play Xbox live.

I do it because its the only way to fight bots. You see, bots are the only people truly effected by AFK Cloakers. If you are complaiing about AFK Cloakers, you are most likely botting, and should probably be investigated.

Take your pick.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

malcovas Henderson
THoF
#31 - 2014-11-08 03:54:33 UTC
Awesome MILF wrote:
Easy answer is griefing

But what is the real benefit of sitting an alt ruining someone else's economy and overal well-being during insane amounts of time every single day? I understand it can be fun to do it once in a while, but what about those who keep their alts for months 23/7 over a same system?

I mean they are wasting electricity, efforts logging in right after downtime, and of course a whole character/account this means 15 bucks a month or 850m isk, you choose...

Oh Dear!
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#32 - 2014-11-08 04:04:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Rowells
Awesome MILF wrote:
benefit of sitting an alt ruining someone else's economy
you seem to have already figured it out.
Amyclas Amatin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2014-11-08 06:28:16 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

[Typhoon, screw U AFKguy Sansha Space]
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Warp Core Stabilizer I

Large Micro Jump Drive
'Cetus' ECM Shockwave I
EM Ward Field II
Thermic Dissipation Field II
Medium C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I

Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Drone Speed Augmentor I

Gecko x1
Berserker II x1
Valkyrie II x2
Warrior II x1

Until dictors start coming out of those cynos.

For more information on the New Order of High-Sec, please visit: http://www.minerbumping.com/

Remember that whenever you have a bad day in EVE, the correct reponse is "Thank you CCP, may I please have another?"

Miomeifeng Alduin
Lithonauts Inc.
#34 - 2014-11-08 07:16:14 UTC
Awesome MILF wrote:
Easy answer is griefing

So, your easy answer is that your paranoia lets you be griefed by someone who isn't even there. Sorry but it seems to me the one who AFK Cloaks in your system is the ultimate winner: he got people too scared to do anything by not even being there ;)
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#35 - 2014-11-08 09:16:30 UTC
Xavier Holtzman wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Most interesting post so far.

Care to share the story?

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#36 - 2014-11-08 09:31:58 UTC
AFK cloaker.

Can't move
Can't shoot
And nobody is at the controls.

Yet it can lock down entire systems for hours at a time.
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#37 - 2014-11-08 09:43:39 UTC
Awesome MILF wrote:
Easy answer is griefing

I suspect that their primary motivation is seeing forum posts like this one.

Well done!

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Revis Owen
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#38 - 2014-11-08 11:22:17 UTC
Awesome MILF wrote:
But what is the real benefit of sitting an alt ruining someone else's economy and overal well-being during insane amounts of time every single day?

If you can't operate with a cloaker in system, that just means you're at the wrong end of the pool. Go back to the shallow end until you can handle the deep end.

Why do people stand at the deep end and complain they don't want to swim because the deep end is scary, when they could mosey to the shallow end and actually get in the water they feel comfortable in?

Agent of the New Order http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html If you do not have a current Mining Permit, please contact me for issuance.

Princess Honneamise
#39 - 2014-11-08 12:04:24 UTC
Xavier Holtzman wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

oh my god this is horrible !!!

please tell us how it happened !

EVE MOONS PROJECT

http://eve-moons.com

The EVE MOONS PROJECT is the most complete and accurate moons database for Eve Online

Miromme Echerie
Doomheim
#40 - 2014-11-08 12:54:01 UTC
Saisin wrote:
Unfortunately, afk cloaking is one of the tools that the eve super powers have to do some economic and psychological warfare against their foes, or anyone that they do not like for whatever reasons....

As stated before, a single neutral cloakie in the system can dry down the activity in that system simply by fear of hot drop.

Afk cloaking requires a alt fully dedicated in a system 24/7. It is not something the casual player can afford. So it is mostly directed by power players that have a lot of resources and gather data, while hampering game activities in said systems.

The problem of afk cloaking is that combined with metacode resources like overview alarms, it can be really effective as any sign of overview activity may simply bring the player back to their screens, and there is really no counters to it.
Those that say that people should not be afraid of a single afk cloaked are mostly disingenuous.

Afk cloaking needs a counter, and I hope that CCP will handle this issue... with the recent changes, I have good hope that they will tackle this issue for good at some point....

:eyeroll:
So, a casual player can't afford to run incursions for 2 hours a day for 4-5 days and buy a plex?
And how do you counter afk cloaking without removing cloaking or disabling cloak after a time period? But wouldn't that ruin capital travel, because they need to sit cloaked for an hour now if they have no secure location available? Or increase their fatigue. "But they can "recloak", well, they can. But it only takes a couple of seconds to probe an uncloaked Titan. And it would affect people that aren't afk, because if they're stalking someone, they'll be visible on the overview for a second. Which could ruin an entire op.
Previous page123Next page