These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog - A new look for EVE’s UI – feedback needed!

First post First post First post
Author
CCP Optimal
C C P
C C P Alliance
#21 - 2014-11-07 15:23:17 UTC
Caiman Graystock wrote:
This is all well and good but please revisit module icons too, they look very dated. I know there was some whinging about turret icons when you did it before... but come on, sort it out!

The idea is that actual items will still be represented by graphical icons, but everything else with cleaner, more iconic ones (such as windows in the Neocom). That being said, I'm not ruling out we might do a pass on some of our icons in the future.
CCP Arrow
C C P
C C P Alliance
#22 - 2014-11-07 15:24:27 UTC
Robert Caldera wrote:
just make sure ESC key can be used to cancel dialog boxes like for what the key is actually there.
Pick a different key for settings PLEASE!

Yes good point, I agree that the 'Esc' should be reserved for "go out of this view or option" and Settings should be a feature in the Neocom. It will not go out with these changes in December, but we have good plans for the Settings menu and making 'Esc' work as expected.

CCP Arrow   |   Director of User Experience   |   EVE Online   |   @CCP_Arrow

Canenald
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#23 - 2014-11-07 15:25:09 UTC
Looks a bit fluffy overall.

The new icons are great and much more readable than the old ones.

I don't like the new simplistic Google-style buttons and tabs. I prefer the 3d feel of the old ones.
Vigilanta
S0utherN Comfort
#24 - 2014-11-07 15:25:38 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Vigilanta wrote:
looks cool, but one question. If we prefer the old UI, will we be able to choose to use the old one instead? I remind you of like every other time we have been forced in to the mandatory upgrade and what has resulted.

You can turn post-processing down which makes it closer to the current UI but otherwise, no.

How close is close I guess is the question, I dont pretend to be a developer or anything, so maybe i'm talking about the impossible, but whenever you guys make significant UI changes, or move a button that been in one place for the existence of the game (like the dock button), it throws a number of the older players into chaos due to purely muscle memory of where stuff is. It would be nice if we can keep the oldn'busted version if we so choose :)

thanks for the response
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#25 - 2014-11-07 15:25:39 UTC
Sweet stuff indeed!

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

COMM4NDER
Legendary Umbrellas
#26 - 2014-11-07 15:27:11 UTC
Please please also have a look on performance!
Currently even small things like chat blink can drop FPS by quite a notch and hiding UI improves it like night and day so please consider performance.

Other than that it looks really nice, gonna try this out in wine asap.

[url=https://github.com/CommanderAlchemy/.bin/blob/master/eve] EVE - Online Launcher [Linux] [/url] Installs, launches character prefixes (both SISI & Tranquility). Simplescreenrecorder shm inject

Aethlyn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2014-11-07 15:27:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Aethlyn
I like it so far, but what I don't like is the still existing odd mix with the pinned windows. In the example screenshot, note the color difference between the overview window (black/gray/transparent) and the buttons on it (still blue).

How about handling pinned windows using a different UI color (i.e. fixed to black/gray) so all elements on pinned windows will be darker/blackish, rather than showing some odd mix with highlights?

COMM4NDER wrote:

If done properly, there shouldn't be any significant performance impact. What's expensive is updating/changing UI stuff around, but just making something flash or show some different texture shouldn't cause any significant additional load (same for the blurry window backgrounds). Are you sure the flashing icons are causing the slowdowns for you rather than the actual window updates (removing/adding icons/entries)?

Looking for more thoughts? Follow me on Twitter.

CCP Claymore
C C P
C C P Alliance
#28 - 2014-11-07 15:30:27 UTC
COMM4NDER wrote:
Currently even small things like chat blink can drop FPS by quite a notch and hiding UI improves it like night and day so please consider performance.

Other than that it looks really nice, gonna try this out in wine asap.

Performance testing is happening as you type.

We are very conscious of making these changes and that not all players are running quad sli titans. We will be striving to have the best possible performance for min spec machines.

Quality Assurance Analyst Team Psycho Sisters

Yui z
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2014-11-07 15:31:43 UTC
Regarding Chat window, on the screenshot, channel name use more space vertically, without real benefits.

Please, keep the actual tab Height for most window, it would be a shame to lose vertical pixel for nothing. Vertical space is important. For me, this change means less visible names in my local window.

Thank you.
Ezio Dicostanzo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#30 - 2014-11-07 15:33:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Ezio Dicostanzo
OMMMMMGGGGGGGGG NEEEEEEDDDDDD
i rarely post, but dudes, this is the kind of stuff i've been waiting for a long time

NOW eve will feels more 2014 than 1993

<3<3<3

much love for CCP on this one

p.s: what would be a great adding to the game is the fact that will the ISIS system you guys setup, you could replace the "thumbnail" ship picture when you target someone and use those sweet 2014 ISIS ship thumbails/icons...
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#31 - 2014-11-07 15:34:06 UTC
the blue is hideous imo, went black and well...
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#32 - 2014-11-07 15:35:42 UTC
The screen capture has no chat windows. Really the chat windows and scan or fleet windows are what clutter the screen and reduce the immersion.

Meanwhile, how about toning down the nebulae in mission rooms or sites etc. And then there is the big one. Dim the suns. When we are 20 au from the sun it should not be saturating half the screen.Ugh

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2014-11-07 15:36:31 UTC
Looks good, ship it as beta like the notifications!
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#34 - 2014-11-07 15:36:48 UTC
I am simply speechless. New UI, at last. Of course Eve iz dying and dumbed down bad CCP!

I love it!

Invalid signature format

Peter Powers
Terrorists of Dimensions
#35 - 2014-11-07 15:37:58 UTC
looks good in general, i just hope the transparent backgrounds can be.. turned less transparent by a button?
i do that in the current ui by switching between that pinned and not pinned mode, as when i want to read something transparency makes it often a lot harder..

3rdPartyEve.net - your catalogue for 3rd party applications

Aebe Amraen
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#36 - 2014-11-07 15:38:01 UTC
Unfortunately I am unable to log into Singularity at the moment to test it, but I have two concerns right off the bat:

1. Some windows are key even when they are not focused, e.g. chat channels and overview. These need to be easily legible in all three states. I know the UI team is not a huge fan of the overview in general, but until something better comes along it's extremely important that it remain usable.

2. Some activities involve switching between windows repeatedly--for example, when updating market orders I generally have my wallet open on the left side of the screen (where I have the Orders tab open) and the market window on the right (to see competitors' orders), and every order I update (100+) involves switching from wallet to market and back. In cases like this I suspect the repeated changes in transparency will quickly become annoying.

As for how to fix these things: a delay on the transparency change (so if a window is focused, loses focus, but then regains it within, say 10s, the transparency doesn't change) would help for the second. For the first, allowing windows to be pinned in a less-transparent state, or some kind of system where windows near the center of the screen get more transparency than windows near the edge of the screen--but this is a more complicated problem.
Hoeveer Parmala
Astral Enforcers
#37 - 2014-11-07 15:38:33 UTC
So, does this UI work help to accommodate a future native Mac version of the Eve client?

Please, please, please, please say yes.
Agonist X
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2014-11-07 15:39:44 UTC
I really like where this is going. I know this is likely not easily achievable but if you let me pull off UI elements onto my second screen while in windowed mode I would love you forever. Imagine having your second monitor in vertical position so you can see all of local or all of overview and have your main screen unobstructed?
Suicide Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2014-11-07 15:39:51 UTC
Haven't had a chance to look at it yet (it takes hours to update on my net).. But..

Will there be an option/scheme to have a less.. in your face.. colour theme? Like I'm currently using the black on black default theme, I like it. It's easy on the eyes, it's subtle. While I like the changes I can see in the blog, the example used is a bright colour, and the other sample schemes look about the same, I'd like to be able to manually, or have a preset, with a much more toned down highlight/window colour.

One other thing, I really REALLY don't like the glow showing up on the active overview tab. That would just get distracting imho.

All of that said, I like most of the changes, new icons on the sidebar look sexy.
Jackie Fisher
Syrkos Technologies
#40 - 2014-11-07 15:40:08 UTC
Will I need to install MS FrontPage 97 extensions to get those buttons to work?

Fear God and Thread Nought