These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Advice on avoiding the Suicide gank

First post
Author
Gevlon Goalposts
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#421 - 2014-11-07 01:45:31 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Syllviaa wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:
The difference of course is when real life people do bad things like murder, armed robbery, battery, etc... they get 20 year jail sentences and need to pay restitution, whereas in Eve they get a 15 minute timeout and get to keep the stolen goods.

The difference of course is one of these is a computer game.

And the failure to have meaningful consequences for ganking means we have more of it, and by the same people. I mean we would pretty much expect the same result in real life. As long as the criminal justice system in Eve is hopelessly broken, I see little reason to expect a reduction in the level of miner and hauler ganking.

Please keep posting dribble I am entertained.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#422 - 2014-11-07 02:00:52 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
As long as the criminal justice system in Eve is hopelessly broken, I see little reason to expect a reduction in the level of miner and hauler ganking.

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the faction navy who investigates crime and Concord who prosecutes the offenders. These are their stories.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#423 - 2014-11-07 03:19:55 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Veers Belvar wrote:
malcovas Henderson wrote:
Tears Belvar wrote:

Do you realise the problems that safe passage for empty ships would entail?

No but please do enlighten me about what "problems" absolutely safe travel through highsec in an empty shuttle would entail (assuming no wardeccs, etc...).

You are definitely not the brightest star in New Eden.

Top of my head. Safe passage for Implants. Instead of using JC. That's at least one "consequence" removal.

Maybe you should pay your electricity bill and put that light on.

Do you think before you post?

You can accomplish completely safe travel in shuttle by being at keyboard and warping to 0. What do you accomplish by forcing this to be done manually rather than on autopilot?

Congratulations, you win Eve.

No you cannot.

Next point... If we were to accept your thoughts that mindless violence needs to go (we're not, but let's experiment), there wouldn't be a way to achieve it anyways.

Should empty haulers in lowsec also not be shot? Mission runners in nullsec? It's not a good fight, there's no economic benefit, so it's just mindless violence right? How about even determining what is or isn't mindless? What if I want to gank empty RvB pods and shuttles for psychological warfare against them? What if I target pods that I have reason to believe hold expensive implants? What if I roleplay on a blog collecting corpses to cut them up as toppings for my McChicken?

There is no mechanic in a video game that reads minds.

I'll sum up this thread in 4 words: Grrrrr alts, grrrr sandbox.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#424 - 2014-11-07 03:45:31 UTC
McChicken Combo HalfMayo wrote:

Next point... If we were to accept your thoughts that mindless violence needs to go (we're not, but let's experiment), there wouldn't be a way to achieve it anyways.

Should empty haulers in lowsec also not be shot? Mission runners in nullsec? It's not a good fight, there's no economic benefit, so it's just mindless violence right? How about even determining what is or isn't mindless? What if I want to gank empty RvB pods and shuttles for psychological warfare against them? What if I target pods that I have reason to believe hold expensive implants? What if I roleplay on a blog collecting corpses to cut them up as toppings for my McChicken?

To be clear, that killmail doesn't demonstrate what actually happened. I personally have never seen someone smartbombed in highsec while at the keyboard resulting in a loss ship, and from what I gather the shuttle killers virtually always target the AFK pilots. If you would like to replace "completely safe" with "virtually completely safe," be my guest.

My objection to mindless violence is in highsec, as it shows me that law enforcement is not punishing severely enough to properly deter such violence. I make no claims about what should or should not be allowed outside of highsec, where law enforcement is not active. My point is simply that punishment from CONCORD should be severe enough to deter the destruction of random shuttles in highsec for lolz. By increasing the cost of repeat ganking by career criminals, we reduce the incidence of such ganking, without any need to read minds.
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#425 - 2014-11-07 04:13:55 UTC
Tears Belvar wrote:

To be clear, that killmail doesn't demonstrate what actually happened. I personally have never seen someone smartbombed in highsec while at the keyboard resulting in a loss ship, and from what I gather the shuttle killers virtually always target the AFK pilots. If you would like to replace "completely safe" with "virtually completely safe," be my guest.

My objection to mindless violence is in highsec, as it shows me that law enforcement is not punishing severely enough to properly deter such violence. I make no claims about what should or should not be allowed outside of highsec, where law enforcement is not active. My point is simply that punishment from CONCORD should be severe enough to deter the destruction of random shuttles in highsec for lolz. By increasing the cost of repeat ganking by career criminals, we reduce the incidence of such ganking, without any need to read minds.

So let me clear this up. If you are at the keyboard, you are virtually safe in a Shuttle, and are not likely to encounter the loss of your shuttle. "Don't want your shuttle exploding" answer, is literally smacking you in the face tears. If you cannot be "bothered" to do that, then yes expect to pay the consequences of not being able to deter shuttle exploding. IE being AFK.

Why do you hate bots so much, if this is your position on this? Is not AFK AP kind of like botting?, but not only that you want it to be totally risk free too.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#426 - 2014-11-07 04:18:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Veers Belvar

So let me clear this up. If you are at the keyboard, you are virtually safe in a Shuttle, and are not likely to encounter the loss of your shuttle. "Don't want your shuttle exploding" answer, is literally smacking you in the face tears. If you cannot be "bothered" to do that, then yes expect to pay the consequences of not being able to deter shuttle exploding. IE being AFK.

Why do you hate bots so much, if this is your position on this? Is not AFK AP kind of like botting?, but not only that you want it to be totally risk free too.

I think that boring activities that do not generate wealth (ie moving empty ships around) should be generally doable in highsec without fear of death, because the police should impose sufficient consequences to deter senseless violence. Autopilot in many ways resembles botting, as CCP grants you the ability to achieve multiple jumps through a single keystroke, but in this case it is explicitly allowed. I do oppose botting when used by miners, etc... to accumulate isk while not being at the keyboard, which I think is wrong. I have no problem with AP etc.... when used to move empty ships around in highsec, and was troubled when on one of the few occasions I did so my shuttle was destroyed, with minimal consequences to the -10 sec status "code enforcer."
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#427 - 2014-11-07 05:16:02 UTC
Tears Belvar wrote:

I think that boring activities that do not generate wealth (ie moving empty ships around) should be generally doable in highsec without fear of death, because the police should impose sufficient consequences to deter senseless violence. Autopilot in many ways resembles botting, as CCP grants you the ability to achieve multiple jumps through a single keystroke, but in this case it is explicitly allowed. I do oppose botting when used by miners, etc... to accumulate isk while not being at the keyboard, which I think is wrong. I have no problem with AP etc.... when used to move empty ships around in highsec, and was troubled when on one of the few occasions I did so my shuttle was destroyed, with minimal consequences to the -10 sec status "code enforcer."

Ok lets look at this another way. Obviously the obvious is not obvious enough for you, even though it is smacking you in the face. The fact that you are AFK can only mean that you do not "CARE" what happens to you in game. PERIOD!!!!!!. What you want is CCP to allow you to "NOT CARE" in 100% safety. Even though what you ask for can be an ISK earner. Moving Implants with impunity, I sell my booster for Isk. Imagine the money I can make with more customers within easy reach. Look I'm in a shuttle, watching all them Haulers go past. Scouting with impunity. Where do you draw the line. Ships without fits and empty? Being flown to that war.........

Bad idea is bad. pure and simple.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#428 - 2014-11-07 05:44:50 UTC

Ok lets look at this another way. Obviously the obvious is not obvious enough for you, even though it is smacking you in the face. The fact that you are AFK can only mean that you do not "CARE" what happens to you in game. PERIOD!!!!!!. What you want is CCP to allow you to "NOT CARE" in 100% safety. Even though what you ask for can be an ISK earner. Moving Implants with impunity, I sell my booster for Isk. Imagine the money I can make with more customers within easy reach. Look I'm in a shuttle, watching all them Haulers go past. Scouting with impunity. Where do you draw the line. Ships without fits and empty? Being flown to that war.........

Yawn, more bad arguments (Oh, and "Tears Belvar" - please do try and grow up). Flying a shuttle to get from one part of highsec to another is not an isk making activity...the people who blow it up do so for lolz...this isn't controversial....it's pretty much a well known fact - the folks in nullsec love to blow up highsec "carebears" to get an emotional reaction out of them. It's sad, it's immature, but unfortunately, like awoxxing, it is part of the Eve culture.

And the fact is that this kind of stuff is detrimental to the game. A lot of people don't want to be part of a community where hurting other people for lolz is part of the meta, and where you need to be at the keyboard to defend yourself while flying around in a shuttle in highsec. People get angry, they ragequit, and the game loses subscribers and has poor retention stats. That's not a positive for anyone, except for a few "code enforcers" and their entertainment.

I mean look at the CSM minutes - the data clearly shows that awoxxing is deterring player involvement in corporations? Why? Because people don't want the risk of player corps, and so stay in npc corps. Could they mitigate awox risk through security checks, etc...? Sure. Why don't they? Because people are looking to enjoy a game, not find a second job. Same thing with warping manually around highsec. It's not fun - it's a job. People want to enjoy the game, not spend their time manually warping an empty shuttle around highsec. Why should the game cater to those who get their fun forcing others to do boring things while moving around highsec? How is that good for the game?
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#429 - 2014-11-07 06:12:06 UTC
Tears Belvar wrote:

Yawn, more bad arguments (Oh, and "Tears Belvar" - please do try and grow up). Flying a shuttle to get from one part of highsec to another is not an isk making activity...the people who blow it up do so for lolz...this isn't controversial....it's pretty much a well known fact - the folks in nullsec love to blow up highsec "carebears" to get an emotional reaction out of them. It's sad, it's immature, but unfortunately, like awoxxing, it is part of the Eve culture.

I have just told you how flying a shuttle with total impunity can earn you ISK. A very valid way too. Yet again you seem to be ignorant to the details.

MY BOOSTER (you do know what one of them is don't you Tears?), Would be able to fly to anyone, paying the most to me. Did you get that?

*Types slowly*

MY BOOSTER, will be able to fly to the highest bidder, with total impunity. In other words making ISK, from flying a shuttle.

Tears Belvar wrote:
And the fact is that this kind of stuff is detrimental to the game. A lot of people don't want to be part of a community where hurting other people for lolz is part of the meta, and where you need to be at the keyboard to defend yourself while flying around in a shuttle in highsec. People get angry, they ragequit, and the game loses subscribers and has poor retention stats. That's not a positive for anyone, except for a few "code enforcers" and their entertainment.

Fact? citation please. Everyone I know, That's EVERYONE I know. may hate Gankers, but they realise it is part of the game, and as such appreciate the need to defend oneself against it. Those that rage quit, are best out of a game they were not suited to. I was Canflipped 1 week old, Lost a retriever in a badger 1 month old. I'm still here.

Tears Belvar wrote:
I mean look at the CSM minutes - the data clearly shows that awoxxing is deterring player involvement in corporations? Why? Because people don't want the risk of player corps, and so stay in npc corps. Could they mitigate awox risk through security checks, etc...? Sure. Why don't they? Because people are looking to enjoy a game, not find a second job. Same thing with warping manually around highsec. It's not fun - it's a job. People want to enjoy the game, not spend their time manually warping an empty shuttle around highsec. Why should the game cater to those who get their fun forcing others to do boring things while moving around highsec? How is that good for the game?

Do you know why people do not Join corps? I can tell you its not Awoxxing. 100% guarantee that. Its fear of WD's that stops them. I am in a one man corp. EVERYONE in the game can create a "one man corp", You cannot, and will not be Awoxxed if you do not invite anyone into your corp. So do not EVER give me that Awoxxing is stopping Players from being in a corp. What is not fun to you does not mean it is not fun for others. Selfish to think otherwise. Don't like shuttling from one place to another then fooking use jump clones. Oh god! do I need to spell everything out in this game for you?
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#430 - 2014-11-07 06:37:57 UTC

I have just told you how flying a shuttle with total impunity can earn you ISK. A very valid way too. Yet again you seem to be ignorant to the details.

MY BOOSTER (you do know what one of them is don't you Tears?), Would be able to fly to anyone, paying the most to me. Did you get that?

*Types slowly*

MY BOOSTER, will be able to fly to the highest bidder, with total impunity. In other words making ISK, from flying a shuttle.

Fact? citation please. Everyone I know, That's EVERYONE I know. may hate Gankers, but they realise it is part of the game, and as such appreciate the need to defend oneself against it. Those that rage quit, are best out of a game they were not suited to. I was Canflipped 1 week old, Lost a retriever in a badger 1 month old. I'm still here.

Do you know why people do not Join corps? I can tell you its not Awoxxing. 100% guarantee that. Its fear of WD's that stops them. I am in a one man corp. EVERYONE in the game can create a "one man corp", You cannot, and will not be Awoxxed if you do not invite anyone into your corp. So do not EVER give me that Awoxxing is stopping Players from being in a corp. What is not fun to you does not mean it is not fun for others. Selfish to think otherwise. Don't like shuttling from one place to another then fooking use jump clones. Oh god! do I need to spell everything out in this game for you?

More name calling - maybe it's time to move beyond the 6th grade level and grow up? You keep saying BOOSTER, I assume you mean your off grid booster? Doesn't he need to be in a command ship to give fleet boosts? If you mean just to be a squad commander, then the flying around in a shuttle isn't earning Isk. You would be paid to sit in an in system safe (and from what I understand soon you will need to be on grid). So autopiloting around isn't earning isk for you.

Nice that you are here, many are not. Check out the forums and hang out in the rookie corps for more info. People get ganked, don't understand why law enforcement is not deterring crime, and quit the game. Who is to say you belong here more than they do?

As far as awoxxing, see the CSM minutes. They don't consider tax evasion 1 man shell corps to be player corps. The avoidance they refer to is of actual multiple human being player corps. And I agree that it's not just awoxxing, WDs are a problem too, although those can be beaten by dropping and reforming corp. Anyhow, CCP seems committed to actually improving the new player experience and retaining more subscribers, so awoxxing is on the way out, and I would expect wardecc changes to follow.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#431 - 2014-11-07 07:58:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
I love how within minutes of Jenn reappearing it's immediately been implied that the desire here is for the complete removal of highsec PvP.

You certainly haven't proposed buffing it. Or even a buff to compensate for a nerf.

You have no interest in balance, that's plain for all to see.
Maybe that's because I don't think it needs a buff? Balance doesn't mean "you always have to give both buffs and nerfs in every situation". Sometimes mechanics just need to be pulled back a bit. Ganking is too easy, too cheap and lacking in consequences. Now I wouldn't say it needs to be "nerfed" as that suggests a big change, but it certainly needs to be given a bit of variance. Black Pedro's suggestion was a very good one, and arguably does provide benefits along with the nerf to keep you happy.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Except for when it ends up that way. Roll
Which it only does in your head, so stop irrationally crying like a noob.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Except for the part where that's a lie. And even if ganking were "without consequence" as you so falsely claim, mining and hauling are cheaper, easier, and possess far, far less native consequences. It takes deliberate player action to bring risk to them, and without such action miners and haulers would have absolutely zero risk whatsoever.

And you want to make their lives easier.

Forgive me if I think that's absurd.
And as I've stated numerous times, mining ALSO needs to be balanced. You keep going "but but but mining is unbalanced too therefore ganking should be unbalanced". That's not how it works.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
How can that be, when playing the game with even half of your ass makes you nigh unkillable in highsec?

Sounds to me like it's too far in the direction of safety. Or do you think the game should be designed so you only have to play it with a quarter of your ass and be completely safe? An eighth?
You are never unkillable.

No, I just think that when you want to pick a playstyle, you should have to put some effort in and actually live with the consequences of your actions, not just roll an alt, gank noobs like crazy in cheap disposable ships, then undo the only "downside" for pocket change when you get bored. And I certainly think you should have to consider more when executing a gank than EHP / DPS + minimal buffer.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

La Rynx
Caldari State
#432 - 2014-11-07 10:44:54 UTC  |  Edited by: La Rynx
I support this!

My condemnation of code and their members might make same people think i am antigank, but i am NOT!
Gain and risk should be split between the parties equaly. And like paper,rock scissor there should be a countermeassure for every meassure(?).

Atomic Virulent : "You can't spell DOUCHE. without CODE."

McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#433 - 2014-11-07 11:13:16 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Veers Belvar wrote:

He smartbombs people as they warp to the gate at 0. If AFK shuttle ganking was somehow nerfed, this is what you'd see become commonplace. The only reason it isn't is because there are enough auto piloting targets already.

Any mechanic that would deter destruction of random shuttles for lulz would also have the same effect on people who don't do it for the lulz. I'm not sure of what mechanic you are proposing to accomplish this. The gankers you speak of are already -10. If you increase response times or increase criminal timer it affects all gankers equally. If you nerf the ships used for the task you are breaking game balance for regular PVP. If you change autopiloting mechanics you will see the gankers switch to the tactics of Santo Trafficante.

Why does CONCORD need to deter these actions anyways? CONCORD is designed to be punitive not preventative. I've never seen a statement from CCP claiming it's designed to be a determent to the point that low-value targets become unfeasible to gank. If it's just your preference for game design fine, but at that point it's no more valid than someone who takes the opposite stance and says "there shouldn't be any CONCORD at all".

The fact is getting podded at a gate, Santo style or otherwise, can be completely prevented by using a ship with enough EHP to hold strong. Interceptors not only warp faster than shuttles but can tank a full handful of Santos if fit right. It's a win-win, but pilots are lazy. Removing someone else's fun for their laziness is not acceptable.

Lucas Kell wrote:

You are many times unkillable if you know what you're doing. Mining, hauling, mission running... all can be done in complete safety as long as you are willing to stay attentive and dock up when needed. Sometimes even that isn't necessary as with some fits you're only theoretically killable...

Lucas Kell wrote:
No, I just think that when you want to pick a playstyle, you should have to put some effort in and actually live with the consequences of your actions, not just roll an alt, gank noobs like crazy in cheap disposable ships, then undo the only "downside" for pocket change when you get bored. And I certainly think you should have to consider more when executing a gank than EHP / DPS + minimal buffer.

Why is it permissible for someone to have a hauler alt then? You are in Space Monkeys, in a permanent war with Marmite Collective. Why do you get to haul without facing the repercussions of that? I still don't understand this repercussion business. Traders manipulate markets costing the player base trillions of ISK overall and no one claims the mechanics should supply any repercussions for that. EVE is inherently a game where players deliver repercussions, not game mechanics...

It's also not pocket change. That's why most of us are well below -5 and don't keep bringing ourselves back up. Only the guys who gank the industrials (non freighter) really do that. It's not pocket change for them either, they are just rich as **** from all the carebears hauling 2.0b worth of goods in an untanked Tayra.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#434 - 2014-11-07 13:59:05 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

No, but you can be pretty close. And it just takes a bit of effort, compared to zero effort.

Quote:

No, I just think that when you want to pick a playstyle, you should have to put some effort in and actually live with the consequences of your actions, not just roll an alt, gank noobs like crazy in cheap disposable ships, then undo the only "downside" for pocket change when you get bored.

Cry more about how alts exist. And please keep ignoring how alts are used in so many other playstyles to accomplish pretty much the same thing.

PI alts, trade alts, neutral hauling alts, scouts, boosters, etc.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#435 - 2014-11-07 16:57:52 UTC
Hilti Enaka wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

A few comments against the tips.

Its the sum of said tips that will make people informed, safer, and now directly responsible for their own safety. The key message being, you are not supposed to be 100% safe, and how you mitigate the remaining risk of a gank is on YOU.

In short, no complaining that the tips presented don't make you 100% safe should ever negate the fact you aren't SUPPOSED to be 100% safe.

The only disconnect I see, is that I sense you think you should have a way to be 100% safe from ganking, and that should never happen.

F
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#436 - 2014-11-07 18:06:13 UTC
Why is it permissible for someone to have a hauler alt then? You are in Space Monkeys, in a permanent war with Marmite Collective. Why do you get to haul without facing the repercussions of that? I still don't understand this repercussion business.
Hauling (and PI alts, scouts, boosters, etc. as mention below) are side characters, not career paths. It would be lovely not to need alts, but EVE is far too gone for that. Gankers are choosing that as a career for their character, but it's disposable so they dont; care about things like bounties, kill rights, sec status, standings, etc. All other roles within the game have inherent risks and consequences you must face. Gankers were never developed as a core mechanic though, so haven;t evovled in the same way. There's no variance in their play, no unpredictable risks and no consequence.

Traders manipulate markets costing the player base trillions of ISK overall and no one claims the mechanics should supply any repercussions for that. EVE is inherently a game where players deliver repercussions, not game mechanics...
And I've stated many times that trading needs a serious kick in the teeth. It's far too easy to excel with nowhere close to enough risk. That needs a kick more than ganking does.

It's also not pocket change. That's why most of us are well below -5 and don't keep bringing ourselves back up. Only the guys who gank the industrials (non freighter) really do that. It's not pocket change for them either, they are just rich as **** from all the carebears hauling 2.0b worth of goods in an untanked Tayra.
You don;t brign yourselves up because there's no point. If you are going to continue ganking, sec status is irrelevant. If you ever choose to stop ganking though, then yes, 300m to go -10 to 0 is pocket change, especially when you consider how much grinding you are saving yourself from. If 300m is a significant amount of isk to you, then you need to get better at playing EVE.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#437 - 2014-11-07 18:40:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Veers Belvar

He smartbombs people as they warp to the gate at 0. If AFK shuttle ganking was somehow nerfed, this is what you'd see become commonplace. The only reason it isn't is because there are enough auto piloting targets already.

Any mechanic that would deter destruction of random shuttles for lulz would also have the same effect on people who don't do it for the lulz. I'm not sure of what mechanic you are proposing to accomplish this. The gankers you speak of are already -10. If you increase response times or increase criminal timer it affects all gankers equally. If you nerf the ships used for the task you are breaking game balance for regular PVP. If you change autopiloting mechanics you will see the gankers switch to the tactics of Santo Trafficante.

Why does CONCORD need to deter these actions anyways? CONCORD is designed to be punitive not preventative. I've never seen a statement from CCP claiming it's designed to be a determent to the point that low-value targets become unfeasible to gank. If it's just your preference for game design fine, but at that point it's no more valid than someone who takes the opposite stance and says "there shouldn't be any CONCORD at all".

The fact is getting podded at a gate, Santo style or otherwise, can be completely prevented by using a ship with enough EHP to hold strong. Interceptors not only warp faster than shuttles but can tank a full handful of Santos if fit right. It's a win-win, but pilots are lazy. Removing someone else's fun for their laziness is not acceptable.

Smartbombing is a lot more expensive and harder to do as a -10. Given the increased cost and effort, the incidence will decrease. My impression is that the folks who gank for profit work hard to stay positive sec status as it makes it easier to pull off a successful gank. Cracking down hard on -10s would mostly just hurt the lolz gankers, not the folks who do this as a job.

The effectiveness of CONCORD is critical to whether new/casual players enjoy the game enough to stick around. A dangerous highsec leads to risk aversion, which leads to boredom, which leads to quitting. A safer highsec does the opposite.

New/casual players can't fly interceptors (I personally still can't) - no reason highsec should be SO dangerous that you are afraid to fly around in a shuttle.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#438 - 2014-11-07 19:08:25 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

The effectiveness of CONCORD is critical to whether new/casual players enjoy the game enough to stick around. A dangerous highsec leads to risk aversion, which leads to boredom, which leads to quitting. A safer highsec does the opposite.

Risk averse people are risk averse before they pick up any video game, not after (and not 'because of). This is why CCP's increasing the safety of the game over the years did not translate into higher retention or more subscriptions.

CCP will learn this again when they notice no change in behavior despite getting rid of clone grades and SP loss, people who don't want to lose something don't become brave when the cost fo the loss is lower, they always remain people who don't like to lose stuff. This is also why all the things the CCP did that indirectly made flying in low sec and null sec safer never translated into more people going their or living there.

The mistake at the heart of "make high sec safer" thinking (other than the deep and uncompromising selfishness already mentioned) is the backwards beliefs about human nature. Asocial people (most high sec solo players) aren't going to sprout social skills because they can't be awoxxed.
La Rynx
Caldari State
#439 - 2014-11-07 19:33:31 UTC  |  Edited by: La Rynx
Jenn aSide wrote:

Risk averse people are risk averse before they pick up any video game, not after (and not 'because of).

And so because you are smart and daring in RL you are like that in EvE to?!
Talk about missconceptions.

People want to play games. They want to be entertained and flee from the real world. There is not "risk averse" since loses are virtual. Whats unwanted and uneeded are some "smartasses" that **** of people and try to force some emotinal responses. If People are pissed of the are not pissed of by EvE they are pissed of by other people.

CCP efforts sofar attracting those you like to call risk averse havent gone far enough to change the reputation the game has. As a result of that, there is no additional amount to be expected of yet. So you conclusion is worthless.

So if you are better suited taking risks, why are you crying, when have to put even more risk and effort into the game? You shouldnt cry, you should be happy!

Atomic Virulent : "You can't spell DOUCHE. without CODE."

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#440 - 2014-11-07 19:51:31 UTC
La Rynx wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Risk averse people are risk averse before they pick up any video game, not after (and not 'because of).

And so because you are smart and daring in RL you are like that in EvE to?!
Talk about missconceptions.

Were exactly did I say any such thing. since you don't understand, allow me to enlighten you.

People like to blame the game for peopl'e behaviors when the fact is that it's that players personality that causes the behavior. This is why CCPs changing the game in various ways hasn't led to changed behavior, because it wasn't the game in the 1st place.

People can understand it when it's something they agree with (for example, high sec people said for years that removing lvl 4 missions from high sec wouldn't drive people out of high sec, and they are right), but not when it's something they don't.

Quote:

People want to play games. They want to be entertained and flee from the real world. There is not "risk averse" since loses are virtual.

This is a 'speak for yourself' moment if ever their was one. SOME gamers game as an escape from a crappy life. But not all of us, my real life is great, I enjoy EVE as something of an 'engineering' hobby (I like the fitting system and doing new things with ships in pve sites etc), not as some kind of 'escape'.

If you need to 'escape' real life, it means you should be concentrating on improving your real life instead of playing a video game.

Quote:

CCP efforts sofar attracting those you like to call risk averse havent gone far enough to change the reputation the game has. As a result of that, there is no additional amount to be expected of yet. So you conclusion is worthless.

The bolded part it the utopian naivety that is the plague of not only games, but actual real life too. You basically just said that EVE isn't safe enough to defeat it's reputation as a harsh game enough to attract people who don't want a harsh game.

Which is EXACTLY the point that I and others have been making for years here: You 'types' don't want EVE, you want another game and to hell with those of us who actually like what EVE is. In a world where you could be playing any of the dozens of themepark MMOs that cater to your personal preferences, you want CCP to water this one down to some kind of mushy nothingness for your own supposed enjoyment.

Quote:

So if you are better suited taking risks, why are you crying, when have to put even more risk and effort into the game? You shouldnt cry, you should be happy!

Though I have alts in other areas of the game (null and low, ntohing in a wormhole at the moment), most of my time is spent doing high sec pve stuff. I wouldn't be the one taking more risks and effort into the game.

I reject the idea that 'gankers' and others the Kells and Belvars of EVe don't like aren't 'working hard enough' to get what they get. I think they serve a distinct purpose in making the game a rich experience and anything that discourages people from doing those things is dumb and bad for the game.