These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Advice on avoiding the Suicide gank

First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#401 - 2014-11-06 20:24:14 UTC
malcovas Henderson wrote:

I am a miner and as such I am affected (albeit passively), by ganking. In the way I fit, and how I fly. As a hauler, and as such I am affected (Actively), by Ganking. In the way I fit, fly, route, and companions. I have a very valid argument against said Ganking in a active capacity. You on the other hand, are a miner of red crosses. Safe in your High HP ship, unlikey to ever be a victim of ganking. You can express an opinion. But don't think you could ever speak for those that experience the effects from ganking on a daily basis, when yourself have no such experience.

People like that think they are speaking for the "downtrodden" players. The poor casual and new players who are 'victims' of those horrible evil nasty gankers. Not unlike the noisy and nosey SJWs of the internet and real life.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#402 - 2014-11-06 20:33:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Veers Belvar
Jenn aSide wrote:

I am a miner and as such I am affected (albeit passively), by ganking. In the way I fit, and how I fly. As a hauler, and as such I am affected (Actively), by Ganking. In the way I fit, fly, route, and companions. I have a very valid argument against said Ganking in a active capacity. You on the other hand, are a miner of red crosses. Safe in your High HP ship, unlikey to ever be a victim of ganking. You can express an opinion. But don't think you could ever speak for those that experience the effects from ganking on a daily basis, when yourself have no such experience.

People like that think they are speaking for the "downtrodden" players. The poor casual and new players who are 'victims' of those horrible evil nasty gankers. Not unlike the noisy and nosey SJWs of the internet and real life.

Oh nonsense, advocating for an effective police force that actually managed to deter repeat criminal conduct is not some kind of social justice garbage, it's just a common sense and effective solution. CCP has already stated that awoxxing is hurting the game because people don't want to get blown up in highsec, and avoid risk by staying in NPC corps, doing boring solo things, and eventually quit the game. This makes CCP unhappy, and they respond by apparently throwing awoxxing overboard. The exact same line of reasoning applies to wars and ganking, and I expect that some action will be taken.

edit - and for the record I have twice been a gank victim. Once a 17 ship multibox catalyst gang ambushed me on an incursion gate, and I barely survived. The second time I was autopiloting an empty pod in a shuttle through highsec and someone ganked the shuttle for lolz but died before he got the pod. So it's not just theoretical for me, the fact that I can't safely autopilot through highsec in an empty shuttle is something of an annoyance.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#403 - 2014-11-06 20:49:13 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
La Nariz wrote:

I have already specifically to you once and Lucas three times. I'm not going to fall for your short memory "show me the same evidence you've shown me two times already" trolling.

In other words: you know your position doesn't hold up under scrutiny, so it's easier to ask the other side to prove a negative.

But here, I'll make it easier for you, here's every single one of your posts in this thread, in chronological order. Which one specifically points out anything in support of this claim of yours?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.

None of them have anything to support your claims. Right now, it looks like you're pulling a dinsdale.
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#404 - 2014-11-06 20:52:02 UTC  |  Edited by: malcovas Henderson
Veers Belvar wrote:

Oh nonsense, advocating for an effective police force that actually managed to deter repeat criminal conduct is not some kind of social justice garbage, it's just a common sense and effective solution. CCP has already stated that awoxxing is hurting the game because people don't want to get blown up in highsec, and avoid risk by staying in NPC corps, doing boring solo things, and eventually quit the game. This makes CCP unhappy, and they respond by apparently throwing awoxxing overboard. The exact same line of reasoning applies to wars and ganking, and I expect that some action will be taken.

edit - and for the record I have twice been a gank victim. Once a 17 ship multibox catalyst gang ambushed me on an incursion gate, and I barely survived. The second time I was autopiloting an empty pod in a shuttle through highsec and someone ganked the shuttle for lolz but died before he got the pod. So it's not just theoretical for me, the fact that I can't safely autopilot through highsec in an empty shuttle is something of an annoyance.

BS, and you know it is. You have absolutely no right to complain on my behalf, of what I would like from my game. Especially if what you are asking for does not effect you in any way what so ever. How dare you presume that I, and others cannot form their own opinions on what concerns them.

Become a fleet miner or a Hauler first, and see how much a problem ganking is for the clued up player, then come back and tell us all how wrong you were, and is so sorry for your ignorance

Edit for the Edit. Are you serious? Auto piloting and expect to be safe? You sir just lost the internet
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#405 - 2014-11-06 20:59:15 UTC

BS, and you know it is. You have absolutely no right to complain on my behalf, of what I would like from my game. Especially if what you are asking for does not effect you in any way what so ever. How dare you presume that I, and others cannot form their own opinions on what concerns them.

Become a fleet miner or a Hauler first, and see how much a problem ganking is for the clued up player, then come back and tell us all how wrong you were, and is so sorry for your ignorance

Edit for the Edit. Are you serious? Auto piloting and expect to be safe? You sir just lost the internet

How about all the people who have come on to the forums complaining about being ganked, complaining about bumping, etc... and are met with ridicule and "can I haz your stuff?" comments, and then quit the game entirely. Who is speaking for them?

And yes, I do expect to do reasonable safe when travelling through highsec in an empty shuttle. I don't think Eve should be all about mindless criminality and blowing up empty ships for lolz....it's all pretty lame.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#406 - 2014-11-06 21:11:12 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

How about all the people who have come on to the forums complaining about being ganked, complaining about bumping, etc... and are met with ridicule and "can I haz your stuff?" comments, and then quit the game entirely. Who is speaking for them?

I'm sorry, did I miss the election where these people said the answer to that question was you?

Quote:

And yes, I do expect to do reasonable safe when travelling through highsec in an empty shuttle. I don't think Eve should be all about mindless criminality and blowing up empty ships for lolz....it's all pretty lame.

The problem isn't the game or how safe you are in a shuttle, it's that you choose to play a game you aren't mentally compatible with.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#407 - 2014-11-06 21:15:43 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

The problem isn't the game or how safe you are in a shuttle, it's that you choose to play a game you aren't mentally compatible with.

Says you, and your opinion carries no weight in my eyes.

Apparently CCP doesn't agree with you, and seems poised to chuck awoxxing rather than saying HTFU. Maybe you are the one playing the wrong game?
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#408 - 2014-11-06 21:24:19 UTC  |  Edited by: malcovas Henderson
Tears Belvar wrote:

The people that come onto the forums, and whine are the self entitled lazy fookwits that cannot be bothered to protect their ships. "Oh I was AFKing when some big green baddie come and blow me up"," I noticed about 1/2 after it happen when I came back to see how I was doing". "Waaaaaaaah I lost my High yield low tank 300mil isk ship to a 20mill isk gank Waaaaaaaah". they deserve the gank. Period.

These are the people you are SJWing for (Jenn that's an awesome acronym). Me? I prefer them to be gone from the game.

Do you realise the problems that safe passage for empty ships would entail?

Tears Belvar wrote:
Apparently CCP doesn't agree with you, and seems poised to chuck awoxxing rather than saying HTFU. Maybe you are the one playing the wrong game?
Awoxxing is not Ganking. Oh wait I'm sure you could manage to link them in some not remotely connected way
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#409 - 2014-11-06 21:29:06 UTC

No but please do enlighten me about what "problems" absolutely safe travel through highsec in an empty shuttle would entail (assuming no wardeccs, etc...).
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#410 - 2014-11-06 21:43:36 UTC  |  Edited by: malcovas Henderson
Tears Belvar wrote:

No but please do enlighten me about what "problems" absolutely safe travel through highsec in an empty shuttle would entail (assuming no wardeccs, etc...).

You are definitely not the brightest star in New Eden.

Top of my head. Safe passage for Implants. Instead of using JC. That's at least one "consequence" removal.

Maybe you should pay your electricity bill and put that light on.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#411 - 2014-11-06 22:02:43 UTC
Tears Belvar wrote:

Top of my head. Safe passage for Implants. Instead of using JC. That's at least one "consequence" removal.

Do you think before you post?

You can accomplish completely safe travel in shuttle by being at keyboard and warping to 0. What do you accomplish by forcing this to be done manually rather than on autopilot?

Congratulations, you win Eve.
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#412 - 2014-11-06 22:08:16 UTC  |  Edited by: malcovas Henderson
Tears Belvar wrote:
Tears Belvar wrote:

You can accomplish completely safe travel in shuttle by being at keyboard and warping to 0. What do you accomplish by forcing this to be done manually rather than on autopilot?

Oh look! You want reward for doing nothing. What a surprise. Being at the keyboard and WTZ is not 100% safe. Nor should it be.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#413 - 2014-11-06 22:10:36 UTC
Tears Belvar wrote:
Tears Belvar wrote:

Oh look! You want reward for doing nothing. What a surprise. Being at the keyboard and WTZ is not 100% safe. Nor should it be.

In a shuttle in highsec it is essentially always safe. Forcing people to do it manually is stupid and adds nothing to the game. Stop with the "content creation" and "emergent gameplay" garbage, it's just about being irritating.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#414 - 2014-11-06 22:12:50 UTC
I love how within minutes of Jenn reappearing it's immediately been implied that the desire here is for the complete removal of highsec PvP. Exaclty as was explained earlier, some people are incapable of understanding that balancing a mechanic does not me removing it.

And while you can go on and on about how much you think gankees should be guarding themselves, it still does not change the fact that ganking is easy, cheap and without consequence. You keep turning it back on the gankees, but the balance issues are with gank mechanics. Black Pedro made a pretty good suggestion earlier about it, by adding variance to ganking success. Repeatedly flailing around screaming "the carebears should just run away better!" is not constructive.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#415 - 2014-11-06 23:12:25 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
I love how within minutes of Jenn reappearing it's immediately been implied that the desire here is for the complete removal of highsec PvP. Exaclty as was explained earlier, some people are incapable of understanding that balancing a mechanic does not me removing it.

But, but slippery slope fallacy!
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#416 - 2014-11-07 00:54:44 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
I love how within minutes of Jenn reappearing it's immediately been implied that the desire here is for the complete removal of highsec PvP.

You certainly haven't proposed buffing it. Or even a buff to compensate for a nerf.

You have no interest in balance, that's plain for all to see.

Quote:

Exaclty as was explained earlier, some people are incapable of understanding that balancing a mechanic does not me removing it.

Except for when it ends up that way. Roll

Quote:

And while you can go on and on about how much you think gankees should be guarding themselves, it still does not change the fact that ganking is easy, cheap and without consequence.

Except for the part where that's a lie. And even if ganking were "without consequence" as you so falsely claim, mining and hauling are cheaper, easier, and possess far, far less native consequences. It takes deliberate player action to bring risk to them, and without such action miners and haulers would have absolutely zero risk whatsoever.

And you want to make their lives easier.

Forgive me if I think that's absurd.

Quote:

You keep turning it back on the gankees, but the balance issues are with gank mechanics. B

How can that be, when playing the game with even half of your ass makes you nigh unkillable in highsec?

Sounds to me like it's too far in the direction of safety. Or do you think the game should be designed so you only have to play it with a quarter of your ass and be completely safe? An eighth?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#417 - 2014-11-07 00:59:08 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post and those quoting it.

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#418 - 2014-11-07 01:14:53 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
La Nariz wrote:

I have already specifically to you once and Lucas three times. I'm not going to fall for your short memory "show me the same evidence you've shown me two times already" trolling.

In other words: you know your position doesn't hold up under scrutiny, so it's easier to ask the other side to prove a negative.

But here, I'll make it easier for you, here's every single one of your posts in this thread, in chronological order. Which one specifically points out anything in support of this claim of yours?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.

None of them have anything to support your claims. Right now, it looks like you're pulling a dinsdale.

In other words I am not going to continually explain the same thing to you over and over again because you choose to be willfully ignorant.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

malcovas Henderson
THoF
#419 - 2014-11-07 01:28:54 UTC
Tears Belvar wrote:

In a shuttle in highsec it is essentially always safe. Forcing people to do it manually is stupid and adds nothing to the game. Stop with the "content creation" and "emergent gameplay" garbage, it's just about being irritating.

But not 100% safe. That's the point. It has an element of risk. You want to fly AFK WT15km, you increase that risk even further. I am surprised that you are not asking for "portals" to warp you straight to Destination and docked safely in Station or pos. Isn't that what you really want? Do away with shuttling altogether. Totally 100% safe and adding nothing to the game.
PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#420 - 2014-11-07 01:42:24 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
I love how within minutes of Jenn reappearing it's immediately been implied that the desire here is for the complete removal of highsec PvP.

You certainly haven't proposed buffing it. Or even a buff to compensate for a nerf.

You have no interest in balance, that's plain for all to see.

It is not mandatory to compensate for every nerf with a buff. Something may simply be unbalanced and a nerf required. It is possible that mining is unbalanced and needs a nerf. It is also possible that awoxing or hisec ganking is unbalanced and needs a nerf.

To be perfectly honest, neither side has provided any objective evidence (e.g. actual numerical metrics) to support their claims, only anecdotal evidence which really isn't worth sh*t.