These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Advice on avoiding the Suicide gank

First post
Author
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#361 - 2014-11-06 12:43:27 UTC
Murauke wrote:
Keep trying to justify your laziness. At the end of the day you are more guilty of being lazy then perhaps someone who took the time to build up their assets whether that's missioning, ratting, moon reacting or what ever.

At the end of the day everybody plays as he see fit and there's no wrong way to play because all choices are perfectly valid. Miner is not worse than ganker, hauler is not worse than mission runner, sov warlord, FW farmer, etc. Game allows you to undock in this ship, go there, and do this stuff to that thing so assigning some kind of moral superiority to any of it is kind of meh.

Invalid signature format

Black Pedro
Mine.
#362 - 2014-11-06 12:49:10 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
I love how this mindset works.

The people flying around neg ten all day are risk averse, but the people afk in a belt all day totally aren't, because of the first people. Roll
OK, please point out where I stated miners weren't risk averse. Go ahead...

Nothing? Oh well perhaps that's because I've not stated that. Gankers do like to go on about how they are playing the right way, while the miners are not, but the truth of the matter is that on both sides it's risk averse play. Both need a serious balancing out.

You may not like the idea of consequences for choices made, but I sure as hell do.

I am not sure anyone has a problem with miners/haulers playing the game how they want (or at least I don't). If they want to fit for yield over tank go for it. If some hauler thinks it is more profitable to spend his time elsewhere and decides to AFK haul something instead of spending time manually webbing his freighter into warp, then more power to him. But the problem is when these players roll the dice taking these risks, and then lose their ships to gankers and then come to the forum and complain how the game is broken. There are ways to be near 100% safe flying in highsec, they just take effort. If a player decides to take on the increased risk of not taking all precautions, then he or she has to live with the consequences of that choice.

I am not naive enough to claim everything is perfectly balanced. And it is true that newer players with an incomplete knowledge of game mechanics can make a mistake and suffer a catastrophic loss. But that is Eve.

I am open to changes to make game play more interesting and dynamic for both predator and prey. If there is some proposed game mechanic that will add consequences for criminals, yet not diminish or prevent conflict between players I would be eager to hear it. However, the fact is that highsec has never been safer (according to CCP) and yet we still have a continual flow of cries to not only nerf, but eliminate highsec PvP. Miners and other players who call for the elimination of risk in highsec are calling for a fundamental changes to the game that will alter it from the competitive sandbox it is suppose to be.

There is a difference between gankers who mitigate the inherent risks of their in-game profession using game mechanics to their best advantage, and carebears who call for changes to game mechanics to eliminate risks to them on the forums.
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#363 - 2014-11-06 13:15:39 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

Show me exactly where he said that. And yes, in my moa days I was ever so keen to help out SMA. Roll

Search my posts I've already spoke with you about this before I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

I did...found nothing to support your position. If you can't directly back up your sh*tty assertions, then don't assert sh*t.

For reference, this is the sh*t assertion you need to prove:
La Nariz wrote:
Now that I am off the tablet you never disavowed your assertion that code is running an elaborate scheme to drive up the ore prices so their condoned botting can fetch more isk for the ore it receives.

Show me where Lucas made that exact claim, or crawl back under the bridge.

I have already specifically to you once and Lucas three times. I'm not going to fall for your short memory "show me the same evidence you've shown me two times already" trolling.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#364 - 2014-11-06 13:15:54 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
But the problem is when these players roll the dice taking these risks, and then lose their ships to gankers and then come to the forum and complain how the game is broken.
Which is fair, and why I don't support people who whine that ganker should be removed, but that doesn't mean ganking is balanced. I believe ganking needs to be looked at in terms of what needs to be committed to choose to be a ganker, the risks a ganker takes, and most importantly, the options the ganked players have for retaliating.

The problem is that any suggestion that a mechanic like ganking nees to be looked at is instantly met with the usual idiot shrieking to no end about how terrible you are for ruining PvP. It's like they can't comprehend small changes, so if someone suggest ganking should be changed, they read that as "ganking should be removed".

Black Pedro wrote:
I am open to changes to make game play more interesting and dynamic for both predator and prey. If there is some proposed game mechanic that will add consequences for criminals, yet not diminish or prevent conflict between players I would be eager to hear it. However, the fact is that highsec has never been safer (according to CCP) and yet we still have a continual flow of cries to not only nerf, but eliminate highsec PvP. Miners and other players who call for the elimination of risk in highsec are calling for a fundamental changes to the game that will alter it from the competitive sandbox it is suppose to be.
And you'll always get those whiner, on both sides. You'll always have people demanding that highsec should be safe and you'll always have people demanding that highsec should be a pirate haven.

And while highsec is mechanically safer than it used to be, gankers are far more efficient at it than they used to be. Everything been minmaxed, tried and tested so you can pretty much jump in with a newbie alt and be off ganking in no time. Much like nullsec has been, it's reached a point where it's comfortable and needs to be shaken up.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Black Pedro
Mine.
#365 - 2014-11-06 13:33:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Pedro
Lucas Kell wrote:
Black Pedro wrote:
In all three cases they deserve to lose their ships and cargo, and probably their pod as well. This enforces the risk vs. reward design of Eve and is a good thing.
I don't disagree, but why do the gankers not have to risk anything? Why should there be very little consequence to ganking, while you demand that all other activities must maintain inherent risk?

I would embrace new gameplay mechanics that allow law-abiding citizens to go after criminals in a meaningful way. If players are willing to spend the effort to secure their space, it should be much harder for criminals to take their stuff. That would be good game play.

But as it is gankers as a profession are completely at the mercy of their targets. If everyone took all precautions, there would be no profit in ganking, and there would next to no ganking at all. Theoretically, ganking only exists because people are willing to take risks with their ships to gain an advantage - to save time, make more money, less effort to do something - and thus expose themselves to the gankers. This is in fact a core part of the game design - balancing the risk vs. reward of your actions to your advantage.

Therefore, it is best to not even think of ganking as a profession, but rather as a in-built game mechanic. The way the ships are balanced dictates an ISK amount that can be fitted/hauled safely, so if you choose to go over that you assume an increasing risk that someone will "cash in" and take your stuff. You can play it safe and take two trips, or take a chance no ganker will notice and overload that T1 hauler to save time. The target is in complete control of the situation and dictates whether they are a profitable target or not. They have the stuff so the risk is on them.

For the ganker, since everything that determines whether an attack is profitable is out of their control, there are no unknown risks for them to take since EHP, DPS, CONCORD times are constant. There is only a small grey area where you don't know the implants and a few other factors, plus the skill in execution which I am ignoring for now. In fact, I have argued this is a failure of game design and gankers should have more variables to process that make assessing gank target profitability less binary, simplest would be varying CONCORD response time. There is also some short-term risk introduced by the loot fairy, but that should even out over a gankers career.

Don't get me wrong, the ganker is still taking risks. Gank ships are paper thin and unexpected ECM has ruined many of my ganks. But these risks come from other players and are inherently less predictable, but also much rarer, and is one reason why it seems that most of the time the ganker is better able to mitigate risk. But unlike the risk of an unseen white knight swooping in and ruining a gank, the risks of making oneself a profitable target to haulers and miners are completely predictable.

This is all good. Players should be able to take on risk to make more reward. And to be honest, most of the time in highsec they will get away with these additional risks. But really they also have to accept these consequences for these risks and understand it is part of the game if a ganker sees them, does the math, and properly executes a gank because the numbers make it in his or her interest to do so.
Black Pedro
Mine.
#366 - 2014-11-06 13:43:24 UTC
Hilti Enaka wrote:
funny really that I lost a freighter recently after warping to a station at 0 to turn around and head to my outgate but on turning round, got out of range of undock, was passive locked to stop me from safe log off and was bumped to 200km off station to be blapped in Jita.

Yeah I was lazy!

You were either lazy (overloaded your freighter over 1B ISK in goods to make one trip instead of several), incredibly unlucky, or fell victim to the whims of the greater forces of Eve.

Eve is a complex game and my "lazy" point really only applies to gankers looking for a profit. I have no knowledge of your loss, but Miniluv are busy ganking freighters for reasons of their own which are unrelated to profit. It is possible they (or whoever ganked you) thought you were working for their enemies or some other internal reason - this would be one of those greater, opaque forces in Eve.

Hilti Enaka
Space Wolves ind.
Solyaris Chtonium
#367 - 2014-11-06 13:49:59 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
Hilti Enaka wrote:
funny really that I lost a freighter recently after warping to a station at 0 to turn around and head to my outgate but on turning round, got out of range of undock, was passive locked to stop me from safe log off and was bumped to 200km off station to be blapped in Jita.

Yeah I was lazy!

You were either lazy (overloaded your freighter over 1B ISK in goods to make one trip instead of several), incredibly unlucky, or fell victim to the whims of the greater forces of Eve.

Eve is a complex game and my "lazy" point really only applies to gankers looking for a profit. I have no knowledge of your loss, but Miniluv are busy ganking freighters for reasons of their own which are unrelated to profit. It is possible they (or whoever ganked you) thought you were working for their enemies or some other internal reason - this would be one of those greater, opaque forces in Eve.

There was nothing in it.
Anne Dieu-le-veut
Natl Assn for the Advancement of Criminal People
#368 - 2014-11-06 14:06:43 UTC
Hilti Enaka wrote:
Black Pedro wrote:
Hilti Enaka wrote:

Yeah I was lazy!

There was nothing in it.

Maybe you were targeted for some reason? There are sooooo many better freighters to gank in Jita...seems odd that anyone would randomly target an empty one in Jita of all places. How many freighters per hour dock and undock there? Sure, sometimes empty freighters are ganked for lulz, but if there's a choice between your empty one and one with even a couple hundred million worth of stuff, who wouldn't pick the one with cargo?
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#369 - 2014-11-06 14:23:33 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
*truncated*
Yeah, I can agree with the vast majority of that.

Black Pedro wrote:
the risks of making oneself a profitable target to haulers and miners are completely predictable.
While true, this does pretty much ruin the entire purpose of a T1 hauler, since most are restricted to ~10m in value before becoming profitable.

Black Pedro wrote:
simplest would be varying CONCORD response time.
This would be very interesting to be honest. One of the biggest issues with ganking is that there is very little variance. This would add to the complexity of the mechanic in a positive way. It would be good to see a time range from much less than it currently is in a system to much more.

Personally I'd throw into the mix the exit of concord once their job is done to stop pre-prepping systems and to stop concord guarding belts, and I'd further buff up T1 industrials to be low chance of profit below 80-100m or so. I'd like to see more reasons for choice between gank ships too, rather than mainly catalysts and a handful of others for special cases. The hard part though is on the side of retaliation. It's very difficult for someone to get their own back against a ganker because of the disposable nature of them and their ships. Not entirely sure how they could address that one.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Anne Dieu-le-veut
Natl Assn for the Advancement of Criminal People
#370 - 2014-11-06 14:51:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Anne Dieu-le-veut
Varying CONCORD response times would be a significant nerf to ganking, since in the end every competent ganker would know what the low end response time is for each sec status system like they do now, and calculate and bring DPS accordingly.

Lucas Kell wrote:
The hard part though is on the side of retaliation. It's very difficult for someone to get their own back against a ganker because of the disposable nature of them and their ships. Not entirely sure how they could address that one.

Bring back insurance payouts on ships killed for suicide ganking.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#371 - 2014-11-06 14:58:07 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Murauke wrote:
Keep trying to justify your laziness. At the end of the day you are more guilty of being lazy then perhaps someone who took the time to build up their assets whether that's missioning, ratting, moon reacting or what ever.

At the end of the day everybody plays as he see fit and there's no wrong way to play because all choices are perfectly valid. Miner is not worse than ganker, hauler is not worse than mission runner, sov warlord, FW farmer, etc. Game allows you to undock in this ship, go there, and do this stuff to that thing so assigning some kind of moral superiority to any of it is kind of meh.

exactly! But some people cannot handle it. And you keep getting from them 'these players don't really play this game' or other nonsense.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Black Pedro
Mine.
#372 - 2014-11-06 15:29:12 UTC
Anne Dieu-le-veut wrote:
Varying CONCORD response times would be a significant nerf to ganking, since in the end is every competent ganker would know what the low end response time is for each sec status system like they do now, and calculate and bring DPS accordingly.

Straight up it would be a nerf as if you just added plus-or-minus x seconds, you would now have a situation where before almost 100% of ganks succeeded, and now only 50% would. But if you moved the average response time up a bit, say to now where 75% or 90% (whatever the balance gurus decide) of them would succeed under the same conditions, you would add a new element of uncertainty. The benefit to the ganker for accepting this small chance of failure on previously sure-thing ganks is the chance of success at targets that were formerly completely safe from them. Perhaps it may only a 10% chance, but a solo ganker could decide to take a chance at ganking a Procurer let's say, that previously was above the line for "gankability", hoping the RNG gods give them a very long CONCORD response time. Right now, if I do the math and a target has just 1000 EHP more than I can dish out in the allotted time, it is 100% safe unless I call in friends.

Gankers would fail more but also would be able to try more hardened targets. More risk all around.

But this is really is drifting far from the OP's question.
Bethan Le Troix
Krusual Investigation Agency
#373 - 2014-11-06 16:15:33 UTC
Hilti Enaka wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
http://evedarklord.blogspot.ca/2014/07/counter-ganking.html

Thanks Ralph Before anyone starts to ***** and moan at me because I have ganking tiers Eve has always been a fond game of mine and it is because of the dark side i am drawn to continnue to play, I have no emotional connection to any loss I incur. That being said I still want my stuff to be safe so I can play the main path of my game which is pvp-ing.

A few comments against the tips.

Tip 1 - Tank your Hauler/Industrial/Mining ship - i guess this is reinforced bulkheads in freighters and JFs? Not sure what happens when gankers bring more alpha but I can go with this,

Tip 2 - Add known 'bad guys' to your contacts & join an 'anti-ganking' chat channel - doesnt prevent alts from popping up or in my case from loggin on,

Tip 3 - Don't AFK mine (Autopilot) - never do, always used webby and 1 hour of my time moving things around

Tip 4 - Limit ship & cargo value to below 1b ISK - disagree, ganking freighters has become a tradition now and they are being popped just for the hell of it. Limiting cargo, double wrapping it or what ever else isn't preventing this.

Tip 5 - Choose travel through only the highest security status systems - Not sure you can avoid choke systems.

Tip 6 - Never autopilot - See tip 3.

Tip 7 - Never travel unscouted - See tip 2

Tip 8 - Use a web buddy for insta-align & warp - Freighter still has to warp and of course webby can still be popped.

Tip 10 - Use a Jump Freighter to haul w/ a cyno alt on standby - This is the only one I didnt have a response too and I feel that this could be my only way from now on.

It sounds like you lost a Jump Freighter in nullsec in which case that kind of thing comes with the territory. It also sounds like you favour overfilling your hauling vessel with expensive cargo in which case you are probably a lost cause.

I will give a few tips for hauling in high sec but most of this is common knowledge:

1) Never autopilot.
2) Consider having a scout vessel and/or a 'web buddy' if flying a Freighter.
3) If setting up a haulage firm keep the contracter/s & hauler/s in separate corporations.
4) You can avoid choke points such as Uedama and stay in high sec systems but the journey will likely be doubled.
5) Consider using a Mastodon instead of a Freighter. A Mastodon can carry one billion ISK in compressed ore.
6) Don't be the guy with billions of ISK cargo in a Freighter or 100's of millions of ISK in a T1 transport.
7) Keeping up to date intel on your contacts list is a good idea to keep an eye out for potential gankers.

Regarding avoiding ganking when mining your primary defence is location. Your secondary defences include being polite and not upsetting other miners, proper ship fits, good intel & contacts lists, use of 'd-scan', low profile, & not being 'afk'.

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#374 - 2014-11-06 16:28:19 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
exactly! But some people cannot handle it. And you keep getting from them 'these players don't really play this game' or other nonsense.

I used to be like this but I'm trying to get rid of this notion. Who am I to judge how anybody spends his/her time in game he/she pays for? Sure, there is "doing it wrong" when you see failfit or simply wrong way of doing things like using hauler for mining or sth but that's a matter of somebody not knowing or simply ignoring logic of in-game stuff. But if they want to drill rocks all day long or grind sov or whatever - I wish them all the fun they can get. After all what do I care, it's not my money or my time.

I noticed that this started when I got out of my narrow tunnel vision lowsec piracy and got into other stuff. Some I like, some not, some I still didn't try but at least it got me practical perspective and knowledge on stuff I used to ridicule. Maybe I'm just getting older, maybe my inner carebear is just getting stronger v0v

Invalid signature format

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#375 - 2014-11-06 16:29:53 UTC
Hilti Enaka wrote:
Tip 4 - Limit ship & cargo value to below 1b ISK - disagree
There's a reason Red Frog limits collateral to 1B isk, and PushX multiplies their fees accordingly for collateral over 1B isk.

Quote:
Ganking freighters has become a tradition now and they are being popped just for the hell of it.
That's a possibility, there's several others.

Quote:
Limiting cargo, double wrapping it or what ever else isn't preventing this.
Limiting cargo doesn't do any good if people are using autopilot, double wrapping stuff makes a freighter a piñata, it gets ganked to see what's inside.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Hilti Enaka
Space Wolves ind.
Solyaris Chtonium
#376 - 2014-11-06 16:45:41 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Hilti Enaka wrote:
Tip 4 - Limit ship & cargo value to below 1b ISK - disagree
There's a reason Red Frog limits collateral to 1B isk, and PushX multiplies their fees accordingly for collateral over 1B isk.

Quote:
Ganking freighters has become a tradition now and they are being popped just for the hell of it.
That's a possibility, there's several others.

Quote:
Limiting cargo, double wrapping it or what ever else isn't preventing this.
Limiting cargo doesn't do any good if people are using autopilot, double wrapping stuff makes a freighter a piñata, it gets ganked to see what's inside.

Not true

When the thing is double wrapped no one is non the wiser about its value.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#377 - 2014-11-06 16:51:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Hilti Enaka wrote:
Which is exactly why they'll pop the ship it's in, to see what it is. Security through obscurity makes people curious Roll

If the gank is successful and the double wrapped item is worthless or doesn't drop they still get a killmail, if it's valuable and drops they get a killmail and a payday.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#378 - 2014-11-06 16:59:06 UTC
The overall point is that this situation is like all situations in EVE (and this is one of the things that makes EVE good and unique):

You can take precautions, you can be smart, you can avoid most unpleasantness (I have, 7 years of mission running and hauling my personal stuff around in industrials, transports, freighters and a Jump Freighter) and all that is good, but in EVE (if you venture out of a station) as in real life, if someone wants you bad enough, you are dead. You can swatch yourself in a million bucks worth of kevlar and still die to the guy who fires 5 cents worth of .22 caliber bullet at you and hits the right spot (omg, real life is just as unbalanced as EVE!!!).

Some folks don't like this and would rather have the themparkish situation of "if you do x (x being 'never enter a pvp area) you can be 100% safe". This isn't what EVE is about. The universal danger of space faring is a core concept of this game and is something that should not be screwed with.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#379 - 2014-11-06 17:01:47 UTC
Hilti Enaka wrote:

Not true

Nor do they need to. They are gambling on getting something valuable. Not unlike real life pirates who didn't know if that Spanish Galleon they were taking was full of gold or empty.

Gambling is a legitimate ting in EVE, so long as it's not with a dude named "somer" lol.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#380 - 2014-11-06 17:06:29 UTC
The difference of course is when real life people do bad things like murder, armed robbery, battery, etc... they get 20 year jail sentences and need to pay restitution, whereas in Eve they get a 15 minute timeout and get to keep the stolen goods.