These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Missiles need to be addressed

First post First post
Author
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#41 - 2014-11-05 19:32:39 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post and the one quoting it.

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#42 - 2014-11-05 19:39:50 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
given that I want to then see them changed from chasing to a predictive model of movement, which means that against a ship in orbit they head for where it will be, rather than having to out speed the ship they are following, this would become increasingly hard.

While an interesting idea, and certainly realistic in terms of what real missiles do for tracking their targets, I'm not sure that the server-side calculations necessary for that would be a good thing for lag. I'd love to see CCP try it though.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#43 - 2014-11-05 19:47:51 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

While an interesting idea, and certainly realistic in terms of what real missiles do for tracking their targets, I'm not sure that the server-side calculations necessary for that would be a good thing for lag. I'd love to see CCP try it though.

I would too, and for ships which are on a constant vector or in a constant pattern like an orbit, the calculations are easier than continuing to run a chase formula, and decrease the time missiles hang about. Such a change would also lay the ground work for much more effective defenders, if CCP saw a value in improving this feature.

It is only ships which change vector or pattern which give these missiles trouble, and this would lead to high agility ships like nano-fit ceptors literally dodging out of the missiles possible flight paths with good piloting.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

TheMercenaryKing
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#44 - 2014-11-05 19:59:45 UTC
M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#45 - 2014-11-06 00:05:38 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Dia'Sarbator wrote:
Duchess Starbuckington wrote:
So the two counters to pwnmobile insta-kill Drakes and Ravens are... being in a fast enough interceptor and defenders that barely work even at the best of times.

Yeeeeeeah. Either this is a troll or you really, really haven't thought through how absurdly overpowered this would make cruiser+ missiles. I can already see myself doing absolutely horridly broken things in a Torp Raven with no damage reductions vs smaller targets...

Edit: wait, a torp Raven? Hell no, why bother with that when I could fit cruise and be a 250KM death-sphere to anything smaller than a BS.

Honestly speaking ... Missles just need a 15 ish % boast in raw dmg across the board for a couple of reasons...

#1 They have a delayed Alpha that needs to be made up for
#2 They never have the ability of applying their full Damage.

15 % ish should bring them a lot closer to where gunnery is.

1.) Missiles always hit targets within range.

2.) Missiles can and do apply full damage when shooting appropriately sized targets. A drake applies full damage to another drake, when that drake is appropriately scram webbed. Against a cruiser, the ship usually needs 2x webs.

I'm not opposed to CCP reviewing and tweaking missiles as appropriate, but I trust they have a better understanding of what the appropriate equivalent stats are.

As for the Op... He's a troll, because no self respecting veteran would propose such blatantly absurd changes.

1. Not true, if your target is orbiting you your missiles must chase that target, reducing effective range. If your target is burning away from you, ie is a kiting ship (like 90% of smallish fights these days) your missiles will not be acting in their full range.

2: Cruisers use the same missiles as battlecruisers (HAMs), and a Caracal can't afford two mids to web a target, plus a point and MWD, that leaves just one slot for tank.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
#46 - 2014-11-06 00:22:42 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
-snip-
1. Not true, if your target is orbiting you your missiles must chase that target, reducing effective range. If your target is burning away from you, ie is a kiting ship (like 90% of smallish fights these days) your missiles will not be acting in their full range.

Big smile finally! Thank you dear. Yes that was what I was going for by "outrunning". As soon as a missile runs out of flight time the missile will be removed from the database - 100% application or not that missile will do zero damage.

M1k3y Koontz wrote:

2: Cruisers use the same missiles as battlecruisers (HAMs), and a Caracal can't afford two mids to web a target, plus a point and MWD, that leaves just one slot for tank.

Very true!
Just ask fidelis constance on their take on (already) 100% application missiles on Caracals.

Using 100% or 1% application HAMs wouldn't do much difference if you get kited at 40+ km and chasing a much faster target.

What I have very carefully considered is movement on the field.

So 100% application or not that 90km max range on my Sacilege is becoming a lot shorter than on any theoretical fitting tool.

In case you were wondering, most fights do not happen in gatecamps and if you ever have engaged in small gang warfare you may have noticed that moving around is cruicial.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2014-11-06 01:03:22 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
2.) Missiles can and do apply full damage when shooting appropriately sized targets. A drake applies full damage to another drake, when that drake is appropriately scram webbed. Against a cruiser, the ship usually needs 2x webs.

Come now, I need to scram web a shield tanked battlecruiser, in order to get full [utterly anaemic] DPS onto it with a cruiser size weapon?

Whilst the fact that is nearly true is depressing, it is not reasonable. If the DPS was insane, I could get behind it, but it is not.

Low base DPS coupled with terrible application is a horrid place to be in.

Your drake examples just nails the point home further.

Imagine if turrets needed to be shooting up a size class AND need the target scram/webbed to break 200 dps....

Edit: I'll freely admit that once you start getting to like 50-60km+ ranges, HML edge out. But you know what they say about trying to engage in long range combat with a weapon system that gives even a damped, stoned logi pilot time to lock the primary, right?
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
#48 - 2014-11-06 01:18:31 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

Come now, I need to scram web a shield tanked battlecruiser, in order to get full [utterly anaemic] DPS onto it with a cruiser size weapon?

Whilst the fact that is nearly true is depressing, it is not reasonable. If the DPS was insane, I could get behind it, but it is not.

Low base DPS coupled with terrible application is a horrid place to be in.

Your drake examples just nails the point home further.

Imagine if turrets needed to be shooting up a size class AND need the target scram/webbed to break 200 dps....

With that image in mind let's do another example with that HAM Drake and she is chasing a blaster Deimos which is shooting null M.

That maximum range of 20km for the HAMs will be more close to 5-7km range in this case.

Or that 45km range on a Cerberus will be more close to 22-30km range.

Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#49 - 2014-11-06 01:26:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Daichi Yamato
M1k3y Koontz wrote:

elitatwo wrote:

With that image in mind let's do another example with that HAM Drake and she is chasing a blaster Deimos which is shooting null M.

That maximum range of 20km for the HAMs will be more close to 5-7km range in this case.

It should be noted that if you are in a missile ship and your opponent is chasing you, a missile's range is effectively increased.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#50 - 2014-11-06 01:33:43 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
M1k3y Koontz wrote:

elitatwo wrote:

It should be noted that if you are in a missile ship and your opponent is chasing you, a missile's range is effectively increased.

This is true, but as soon as they start dying, they can turn around and run away, negating that range bonus into a range penalty.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

Daichi Yamato
#51 - 2014-11-06 01:37:50 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:

This is true, but as soon as they start dying, they can turn around and run away, negating that range bonus into a range penalty.

either way its a two way sword and should be considered neither an advantage nor disadvantage.

it is exactly the same as wrecking/miss arguments for/against turrets. they are exactly one for one and neither a benefit nor penalty.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
#52 - 2014-11-06 01:39:13 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
...It should be noted that if you are in a missile ship and your opponent is chasing you, a missile's range is effectively increased.

Hmm.. Let's say I am in HAM Drake and get chased by an arty-cane or five let's be more realistic Smile.

Let's also imagine I am not very good and do not notice that the canes that are chasing me are at 50km and closing in are not pointing me. So here I am looking for a gate or some other celestial to warp to.

If the client does show it correctly and missile get launched in a straight line, they would have to make a turn to chase at least one of the canes. That "turn" does take missile flight time of the missiles and they have to accelerate first.

At first glance this would still decrease the range but I have to look into this on SiSi first.

Daichi Yamato
#53 - 2014-11-06 01:44:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Daichi Yamato
turning yes. but thats turning.

just the same when you are chasing an opponent who is not flying directly away your missiles track ahead of him slightly (not perfectly) to minimise distance lost to a moving target. They do have some motion prediction.

this is why missiles start spasming when tracking extremely fast targets (like light drones orbiting with MWD's still active)

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
#54 - 2014-11-06 01:53:10 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
turning yes. but thats turning.

just the same when you are chasing an opponent who is not flying directly away your missiles track ahead of him slightly (not perfectly) to minimise distance lost to a moving target. They do have some motion prediction.

this is why missiles start spasming when tracking extremely fast targets (like light drones orbiting with MWD's still active)

I will look into that tomorrow when SiSi is a little more populated.

A little sidenote:
When cruise missiles were buffed and battleships got their changes I did shoot at a Dominix that was 50km away. He did a mjd jump but he was still in my lock range and my cruise missile made a funny "loop" and still hit him.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2014-11-06 07:53:36 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
M1k3y Koontz wrote:

either way its a two way sword and should be considered neither an advantage nor disadvantage.

it is exactly the same as wrecking/miss arguments for/against turrets. they are exactly one for one and neither a benefit nor penalty.

It is, but it sure would be great if they got it more consistent, the Mordu missiles work well for that reason.
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#56 - 2014-11-06 12:44:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Mike Whiite
the OP's idea isn't something I'd approve of.

That said, Missiles need some tinkering.

one problem is the relative limited ways to tinker with the formula, which makes it rather hard to adjust every time some adjustment is made on ships and modules. rigs are the only way to passively adjust explosion radius and velocity for instance.

this has as a side effect that almost every balance step made turns out in missiles being over or underpowered.

lets set aside the changes that directly affected missiles, we all know them or should know them if you're entering this discussion.

But several changes indirectly adjusted missile effectiveness

cruisers and lower got a speed buff (making it harder to hit those ships for full)
armor got a little faster
a large amount of ships got their signature reduced.

I know that effects Turrets as well, but a turrets have better ways to adjust to those changes and because of the complexity of the turret formula, some of those changes weight less on a turret than on a missile launcher.

then there was the buff of medium long range turrets after the nerf of heavy missile.

just to name a few that affected the state of missiles in general.

and then there are a few side issues that not leave the impression missiles are loved by CCP at this moment.

We still have the semi finished Rapid launchers (still no way to switch ammo types in a reasonable time)
and missile training takes an idiotic amount of time, compared to turret training especially now the restrictions on the turret tree are dropped.
and for a weapon system that has as an advantage that it can do multiple amounts of damage it has way to much hulls that have a specific damage bonus.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#57 - 2014-11-06 17:53:43 UTC
Damn, I was hoping for a thread insisting that missiles all have proper street addresses and postal codes in order to deliver their payload.

Imagine my reaction when the actual OP was even sillier....

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#58 - 2014-11-06 18:35:53 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Let's also imagine I am not very good and do not notice that the canes that are chasing me are at 50km and closing in are not pointing me. So here I am looking for a gate or some other celestial to warp to.
If you have to keep building in cases like these into your argument, then you need to take a closer look at your argument. Also, almost all of your arguments are cases where missiles aren't good, and you're ignoring all of their positive sides.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
#59 - 2014-11-06 19:09:29 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
.. street addresses and postal codes in order to deliver their payload.....

As you wish..

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#60 - 2014-11-06 19:30:45 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post.

The Rules:
12. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a support ticket under the Community & Forums Category.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)