These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A slight modification of the local chat

Author
D'ert
#1 - 2014-10-31 16:57:07 UTC  |  Edited by: D'ert
( I apologize in advance for my bad english )

Since local chat has become an important tactical element, suggest to the winds:

Fastpic
Tinypic

Pilots are grouped by status. It is possible to expand / collapse the group.

Pilot Status is not different from how it is shown at the moment. And is determined based on the configured priorities. (ie if you add "corp-man" in Fleet, chatting it moves from "Corporation" in the "Fleet")

The number to the left in the group header shows the number of pilots in the system with this status, and the number to the right number of them in the grid, or at the station.

And most importantly, because of what I have a few hours of Photoshop, the chat no longer displays the names of the pilots if they are not in the same grid with you (but will show the number and status) or not on the same station with you. Chat in the way that is now giving too much information, and do not kill a little intrigue, IMHO.

(and more convenient to watch how many members of the Fleet on the spot)
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#2 - 2014-11-03 01:16:31 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Supported.
Also I love how in your example Santo Trafficante has just podded someone.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

The Hamilton
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-11-03 01:29:48 UTC
Not bad actually! It's no 'null without local' or 'delayed local' for sure.. But I'd be happy to see this.
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#4 - 2014-11-03 04:28:42 UTC
Set it up so that only certain groups can be "un-collapsed" and you've got something there.

+1

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#5 - 2014-11-03 05:52:49 UTC
Sobaan Tali wrote:
Set it up so that only certain groups can be "un-collapsed" and you've got something there.

+1

Cloaked reds as an unopenable group? This would be bad.

+1 to the main idea though.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#6 - 2014-11-03 06:21:54 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Sobaan Tali wrote:

+1

Cloaked reds as an unopenable group? This would be bad.

+1 to the main idea though.

How? You'd still know when reds are in system and how many, you just wouldn't be able to get individual char data unless you actually see them on grid. Should local still provide the level of intel it does now? (and I'm honestly asking, it doesn't really bother me either way, just figured most were of the "local giving free intel is bad" type)

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Daenika
Chambers of Shaolin
#7 - 2014-11-03 08:51:39 UTC
I like it. It's like halfway between the current perfect intel and the no-intel of wormhole. You know if there's people there, but you don't know who they are or any other information about them.
Ju0ZaS
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-11-03 09:41:08 UTC
And how may then sneak up on someone if I get filtered as a red star and can pop up clearly in local for my victim to see.

Mhm... Imma -1 this.

Are you going to fight me or do you expect to bore me to death with your forum pvp?

Tirian Ratcliffe
New Eden Tactical Logistics
#9 - 2014-11-03 09:53:32 UTC
I like it. You should be able to sort local in this way. Crazy having to scroll through to find WTs etc.

+1
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#10 - 2014-11-03 10:04:09 UTC
+1 just because this will **** somebody off :)

Invalid signature format

Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-11-03 13:37:07 UTC
Can someone re-upload this to a trustworthy site so others who are not brave can see the picture?
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2014-11-03 13:41:00 UTC
Awesome Idea, with something like this I could reduce the the crazy amount of screen real estate taken up by the local window. Gimme!

Grrr.

Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#13 - 2014-11-03 14:10:07 UTC
Only if it is delayed, local as free intel shouldn't be buffed.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Litchi FayeLing
A Miserable Little Pile Of Secrets
#14 - 2014-11-03 14:48:21 UTC
This would be excellent.

+1
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#15 - 2014-11-03 14:50:47 UTC
This is a slippery slope, if we should find that this expands local's influence.

Not saying bad, directly, but it starts to make certain responses easier to make.

Consider this: We want a competitive game, but at the same time we admit that science fiction will be automated in many ways.

We already tossed out the idea, that we need to see ships on our actual screen view.
We have the overview for that, and we actually stare at our own ship more than others in our main display.

We don't rely on sensor readings to tell us who is in the same system.
We are using local to do that, despite the notion that this is disputed as an intended game element in this manner.
(We used to have pilots spoofing each others names to fool others, but with standings listed that has vanished effectively)

Do we really want to simplify the game, by automating the ability to sort out contacts for us?
That is a serious question, because this will result in players knowing when to react for less effort than before.
If we don't want everything out in the open, this may be a bad idea.
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#16 - 2014-11-03 15:09:00 UTC
Really good UI tweek that shouldn't be too time consuming to code.

+1
Shae Mataar
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2014-11-03 19:12:31 UTC
all i want is the ability to sort local by standing/sec status/whatever *before* the list is sorted alphabetically.

for the love of all thing held dear and holy, lemme see my enemies on top of the list!

surely spreadsheets in space can accomplish this?

i bring that which you fear the most

freedom

no matter what the price

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#18 - 2014-11-03 19:26:53 UTC
Shae Mataar wrote:
all i want is the ability to sort local by standing/sec status/whatever *before* the list is sorted alphabetically.

for the love of all thing held dear and holy, lemme see my enemies on top of the list!

surely spreadsheets in space can accomplish this?

We really need to re-think the purpose of this user interface.

This will make local chat into a tool, that identifies targets on grid with us, sorts contacts into threat categories, and basically takes from the overview many of the tasks it formerly held.

Why don't we simply combine them?
We can already sort and filter the overview, and that is what is being attempted here.

Calling it a chat tool, with these functions, seems absurd.