These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Vitoc Illness from infected Pod Goo Dangerous for Capital Pilots

Author
Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#21 - 2014-11-02 21:22:13 UTC
If the pod fluids are infected, they'd have to be infected prior to jump-drive use. Same goes with clones. If there actually is anything to this, it'd have to be a matter of infecting the capsuleer ahead of time, the jump-drive activations triggering the effects in question.

Vitoxin will not spontaneously appear in clones nor pod fluid through jump-drive use.

I'm a bit perturbed by a tentative voice of support, and further support in uncovering any real threat to those of us fighting on the same side being met with such immediate hostility, though. Perhaps I should be less eager to support kin of old in the future.
Kale Silence
Doomheim
#22 - 2014-11-03 00:20:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Kale Silence
The Pod goo is infected? Doesn't that mean they needed to get into a pod that has already been infected? How the **** does that work? Shocked Just use fresh pods you morons. Problem solved.

EDIT: Wait, it came from jump travel? Are you ****ing kidding me? Are you sure YOU'RE not using Vitoc? How the **** does that make any sense??
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#23 - 2014-11-03 01:36:04 UTC
And where's the papers? If you claim that Vitoxin remnants are the cause for Jump Fatigue, you need to provide the research papers that contain the experiment methods and the data!

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Ragnar STS
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#24 - 2014-11-03 05:26:58 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
And where's the papers? If you claim that Vitoxin remnants are the cause for Jump Fatigue, you need to provide the research papers that contain the experiment methods and the data!

I know of a historic and legendary country whose intelligence motto was thus:

"You can know a lot more than you can prove."
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#25 - 2014-11-03 05:48:34 UTC
Ragnar STS wrote:
Elmund Egivand wrote:

And I know an adage from some of history's greatest thinkers:

"Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence"

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#26 - 2014-11-03 05:52:45 UTC
I'm really not an expert on Vitoc but doesn't it have to be injected into the blood stream?
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#27 - 2014-11-03 06:29:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Deitra Vess wrote:
I'm really not an expert on Vitoc but doesn't it have to be injected into the blood stream?

Vitoc, the treatment, has to be injected to work.

Vitoxin virus, however, can be introduced into the body by injection, ingestion or, in their weaponised form, inhalation. This is why many precautions need to be taken before the virus can be research and why, even despite the precautions, some researchers are still infected.

Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#28 - 2014-11-03 09:44:42 UTC
Jump gates are for peasants and slaves!

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
Of Questionable Repute
#29 - 2014-11-03 13:23:43 UTC
Diana Kim wrote:
Hurflblurble!

Indeed.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Andrea Cemenotar
Elena Minasse Operations
#30 - 2014-11-03 14:26:45 UTC
Diana Kim wrote:
Jump gates are for peasants and slaves!

I'd never think that I'll hear such words from fellow Caldari.
Especially that it indicates that you think about much of your fellow Caldari people as "peasants and slaves".

Not everyone flies ships big enought to use jump drives and not everyone likes to fly such a ships - for example I prefer smaller vessels and consider battlecruiser as a little to big and clumsy for my likings.

does that makes me "peasant" or maybe "slave"?

please next time think a little before you'll start saying things that even Amarrians are avoiding.

about "disease" as long as I'll not be shown scientific research prooving word of that minmatar - preferably research made by Caldari Scientist - I cannot care less.
Jaret Victorian
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#31 - 2014-11-03 16:32:23 UTC
Andrea Cemenotar wrote:

I'd never think that I'll hear such words from fellow Caldari.
Especially that it indicates that you think about much of your fellow Caldari people as "peasants and slaves".

Not everyone flies ships big enought to use jump drives and not everyone likes to fly such a ships - for example I prefer smaller vessels and consider battlecruiser as a little to big and clumsy for my likings.

does that makes me "peasant" or maybe "slave"?

please next time think a little before you'll start saying things that even Amarrians are avoiding.

Oh, you are a real party animal, aren't you?
Kale Silence
Doomheim
#32 - 2014-11-03 16:39:44 UTC
Ragnar STS wrote:
Elmund Egivand wrote:

Aka I'm bull****ing and I just got called on it.
Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
SE7EN-SINS
#33 - 2014-11-03 17:01:47 UTC
Don't worry, fellow space friends - there's a reasonable explanation for all of this!

This is actually a rare case of CONCORD catching a potential capsuleer-specific medical issue before it resulted in serious problems. Recent research by DED medical researchers discovered that repeated and frequent use of jump drives within a short time period was causing very serious, compounding neurosynaptic strain. I mean, I'm sure all of us who've used jump drives are familiar with how jarring the experience can be, and have suffered the occasional migraine afterwards, but this is on a whole different level. We're talking possible permanent brain damage, impaired memory, perceptional defects, social complications - CONCORD's capsule firmware upgrade seems fairly drastic and unneccessary to me, but there is at least a firm reasoning behind it.

But I mean, you should all already know this - you all schedule time to read the weekly science periodicals CONCORD sends us, right?

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Stitcher
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#34 - 2014-11-03 17:20:42 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
This is on a whole different level. We're talking possible permanent brain damage, impaired memory, perceptional defects, social complications...

In capsuleers?

...How would anybody have noticed?

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Ugleb
Jotunn Risi
#35 - 2014-11-03 21:50:20 UTC
Yesterday I submitted over fifty samples to an Duvolle Laboratories facility for extensive testing. These biological samples were gathered from a range of ships in both my own hangars and those of other pilots. The intent of course was to establish the beginnings of a database for which to assess the possible extent of the issue. Naturally, I chose a non-Minmatar institution to reduce the inevitable claims of bias that would follow any findings by Matari science.

Unfortunately, the tests have not been run as the samples were rejected by the lab. Apparently the Gallentean researchers lack the constitution to handle fifty Fedo's and complained excessively about the smell when they opened the transit cages. It is a shame really, those Fedo's have been licking decks clean of pod goo residues for years and are undoubtedly loaded with the stuff.

http://uglebsjournal.wordpress.com/

The Jotunn Risi are now recruiting, Brutor ancestry required in order to best represent the Brutor interest.  Join channel JORIS to learn more!

Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#36 - 2014-11-04 01:10:58 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Don't worry, fellow space friends - there's a reasonable explanation for all of this!

This is actually a rare case of CONCORD catching a potential capsuleer-specific medical issue before it resulted in serious problems. Recent research by DED medical researchers discovered that repeated and frequent use of jump drives within a short time period was causing very serious, compounding neurosynaptic strain. I mean, I'm sure all of us who've used jump drives are familiar with how jarring the experience can be, and have suffered the occasional migraine afterwards, but this is on a whole different level. We're talking possible permanent brain damage, impaired memory, perceptional defects, social complications - CONCORD's capsule firmware upgrade seems fairly drastic and unneccessary to me, but there is at least a firm reasoning behind it.

But I mean, you should all already know this - you all schedule time to read the weekly science periodicals CONCORD sends us, right?

Here's the interesting bit though. Jump drives had been used for years, and issues are only starting to crop up *now*? Now, I can understand if the symptoms are manifesting in long-time users of jump drives *only*, but from how I understand it, even the new users are manifesting symptoms. You have to admit that there is something smelly here, and it ain't a Fedo.

Andrea Cemenotar
Elena Minasse Operations
#37 - 2014-11-04 08:29:16 UTC
Jaret Victorian wrote:

Would you mind to clarify what did you mean wth that statement?

Ugleb wrote:
Yesterday I submitted over fifty samples to an Duvolle Laboratories facility for extensive testing. These biological samples were gathered from a range of ships in both my own hangars and those of other pilots. The intent of course was to establish the beginnings of a database for which to assess the possible extent of the issue. Naturally, I chose a non-Minmatar institution to reduce the inevitable claims of bias that would follow any findings by Matari science.

Unfortunately, the tests have not been run as the samples were rejected by the lab. Apparently the Gallentean researchers lack the constitution to handle fifty Fedo's and complained excessively about the smell when they opened the transit cages. It is a shame really, those Fedo's have been licking decks clean of pod goo residues for years and are undoubtedly loaded with the stuff.

If you Matars can take advice from Caldari....

never trust Gallenteans... You should try with Caldari Research labs at least you would be sure that they will treat the matter more seriously.
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#38 - 2014-11-04 09:48:13 UTC
Andrea Cemenotar wrote:
Jaret Victorian wrote:

Would you mind to clarify what did you mean wth that statement?

Ugleb wrote:

If you Matars can take advice from Caldari....

never trust Gallenteans... You should try with Caldari Research labs at least you would be sure that they will treat the matter more seriously.

You heard the lady! Ship all the Fedo to her hangar!

Andrea Cemenotar
Elena Minasse Operations
#39 - 2014-11-04 11:18:29 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:

You heard the lady! Ship all the Fedo to her hangar!

I need to dissapoint you but as I'm from scientist family I'm not scientist myself - I'm military pilot.

although maybe my brother Manweru will be able to help you... ah wait, he was never patient enought for this I suppose that he will be capable of this.

Darn I should check on him more often so I would not have such problems [smiles]

wait I should be capable of having someone running those researches for you bring those fedos to my Squadron's HQ at Hentoigara - although you need to hurry we are moving with HQ soon.
Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
SE7EN-SINS
#40 - 2014-11-04 12:15:06 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
Here's the interesting bit though. Jump drives had been used for years, and issues are only starting to crop up *now*? Now, I can understand if the symptoms are manifesting in long-time users of jump drives *only*, but from how I understand it, even the new users are manifesting symptoms. You have to admit that there is something smelly here, and it ain't a Fedo.

I did say that this is a rare case of CONCORD catching a problem before it became an issue - almost no cases of serious, irreparable brain damage have cropped up, only a lot of pilots complaining of headaches, vertigo, mild problems with cognition and memory. This is a fairly recent development, since the use of capsuleer jumpdrives has only really taken off in the past few years, so it stands to reason that it's only recently that we've got people beginning to experience noticeable adverse side-effects of heavy jumpdrive usage. Consequently, the CONCORD study that brought all of this up only came out a few months ago.

But this was all in the CONCORD weekly science periodical - you guys do read them, right?

... I'm not the only one, am I?

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.