These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

What if new players were not attackable by others for X days?

First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#21 - 2014-11-02 23:59:07 UTC
If you have to coddle a player who is most likely an adult in his 20s like this to keep him playing, why even bother? People like that steal oxygen in real life they'd do nothing but take up space in a game.

Y'all should read this article. It's about tutorials, but the same thing appplies in other cases. You might think you are doing a nice thing for a new player by treating him with kid gloves, but the truth is you are doing him a disservice. Treat him like an adult, kick his ass. if he runs of screaming he didn't belong in EVE, if he tries to learn how you did that to him, he has a chance here.
Steve Wingyip
Doomheim
#22 - 2014-11-03 00:02:43 UTC
somedudeinaship wrote:
Just imagine, new players join the game and can be given a reasonable safe amount of time to learn the game before they become free game for all. Now this idea would not work of course if the new player started attacking other players, as the restriction then would be instantly removed.

Seems fair right? Was wondering what your thoughts on a change like this might be.

Alts. Alts. And alts to carry stuff. Stupid idea. New players learn like the vets did. The hard way and the better way.

The stars are like the trees in the forest, alive and breathing. And they're watching over me.

Syn Shi
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#23 - 2014-11-03 00:07:35 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Not so stealth "please don't nerf high sec awox" thread.

Sadly yes.
Steve Wingyip
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-11-03 00:12:11 UTC
somedudeinaship wrote:
Hmm, well maybe just for high sec, the moment they enter losec or null it's anything goes as usual. Let's keep high security safe for the newer players!

This breaks the game. Especially market prices. I am not sure you can even imagine what that would do to the economy and ganker corps ect.

The stars are like the trees in the forest, alive and breathing. And they're watching over me.

Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2014-11-03 02:23:10 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Spawn all newbies in a new region of space where firing on other players is completely disabled and guide them towards to exit as part of the tutorial. Then once they leave the region, explain very clearly that they are now free to be shot upon etc.

Easy peasy.

Have newbies appear in their own closed system, piloting a faction battleship of their race. When they first log in, they appear in the warp bubble with a large fleet of their faction's NPCs. They land and begin battling NPC battleships of another hostile race, complete with mock fleet coms. More NPCs from both sides warp in to fill losses.

This goes on until they complete the 10-15 minute combat tutorial, at which point their "triage" goes down and the player gets primaried, resulting in the destruction and podding of the player. After some cinematics and lore filler stuff, they wake up in a closed newbie system with other newbies to complete the rest of their tutorial.

I think this would help out the npe.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#26 - 2014-11-03 06:32:23 UTC
somedudeinaship wrote:
Hmm, well maybe just for high sec, the moment they enter losec or null it's anything goes as usual. Let's keep high security safe for the newer players!

I make an alt and give it 100 plexes to autopilot from jita to hek to rens to dodixie and then back to jita in a rookie ship. Your ideas are literally made of stupid and ignorance.

Or even better I make a bumping alt in a stabber to bump those pesky freighters.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#27 - 2014-11-03 07:26:37 UTC
Temp invincibility? No spank you. As others have stated, "exploits and such". People would abuse this more than some kid from a 'Law and Order SVU' episode.

And some of those cases were seriously "I have no hope for humanity anymore," messed up. Great show, though.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#28 - 2014-11-03 08:18:46 UTC
somedudeinaship wrote:
Just imagine, new players join the game and can be given a reasonable safe amount of time to learn the game before they become free game for all. Now this idea would not work of course if the new player started attacking other players, as the restriction then would be instantly removed.

Seems fair right? Was wondering what your thoughts on a change like this might be.

If I ver see you in space I will blow your ship up, scram your pod and then salvage the caress of what was once your joy and pride before your very own eyes. then I will pod you and forget that you ever existed.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Terranid Meester
Tactical Assault and Recon Unit
#29 - 2014-11-03 08:30:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Terranid Meester
OP's suggestion is a true stinker of an idea. Anyway OP, try posting in the Features and Ideas Discussion part of the forums. Then maybe most of us won't have to see such terrible ideas from you in future.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2014-11-03 09:28:44 UTC
Lugia3 wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:
Spawn all newbies in a new region of space where firing on other players is completely disabled and guide them towards to exit as part of the tutorial. Then once they leave the region, explain very clearly that they are now free to be shot upon etc.

Easy peasy.

Have newbies appear in their own closed system, piloting a faction battleship of their race. When they first log in, they appear in the warp bubble with a large fleet of their faction's NPCs. They land and begin battling NPC battleships of another hostile race, complete with mock fleet coms. More NPCs from both sides warp in to fill losses.

This goes on until they complete the 10-15 minute combat tutorial, at which point their "triage" goes down and the player gets primaried, resulting in the destruction and podding of the player. After some cinematics and lore filler stuff, they wake up in a closed newbie system with other newbies to complete the rest of their tutorial.

I think this would help out the npe.

So you entice the newbie with an epic battle in a hugely expensive ship and pretty advanced gameplay. The player goes AWESOME! LETS DO THAT AGAIN! And then you dump them into the tutorial and tell them they can't do any of that for at least a couple of months yet because they need money and skills.

Seems like a great idea, let's do that.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Mithandra
B.O.P Supplication For Glorious
Dracarys.
#31 - 2014-11-03 09:51:47 UTC
On the surface it sounds like a nice idea, but oh dear me, deep, deep in the depths of eve space lurk the players. The tricksie, nefarious, sneaky eve players who will exploit the hell out of your proposed mechanic, leaving the new players no better off, and the rest of eve far worse off.

Step away from this idea, write it off and never look back. Its for the best.

Eve is the dark haired, totally hot emo gothchild of the gaming community

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#32 - 2014-11-03 10:31:57 UTC
Now I should actually move this to Features & Ideas discussion as it is a proposal for a change in game mechanics.
But as ideas like this have popped up numerous times, it would just get locked there for redundancy.

Might as well lock it it here.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Previous page12