These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Secondary Launcher useless?

Author
Heather Austrene
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-10-31 17:56:11 UTC
I tried putting a couple rapid light missile launchers on my Hurricane Fleet Issue for missions and found that they did so little damage as to have no use at all? I used the meta4 launcher and faction missiles of the right damage type for the mission and the two launcher couldn't even get through the shields on a humble angel webifier frigate in a L3 mission. Now my missile skills are very basic but even if you doubled the dps it would be useless. Is there anything more useful against frigates at close range that can be used in the two launcher points.
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2014-10-31 18:14:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
I am fairly certain that if you are being webbed it is an "elite" frig and is quite a bit harder to kill than your run of the mill NPC frig. Did you try any other missions or just the one?

Also, there are many factors to applying missile damage other than the DPS number, if he was orbiting you very fast your damage application will suffer especially with low skills and no bonuses to the launchers.

Close orbiting frigs will probably die faster if you just fit some rocket launchers instead. HFI can also carry a full set of small drones.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Heather Austrene
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-10-31 18:40:54 UTC
I only tried the one L3 mission to test it out. Tried it on the first frigate to get close.

Well, I've been using the ship in L4 missions, and they have been eating my drones up, so I was looking for a last ditch defense against frigates that get under my guns and I have no drones left. The cane doesn't carry but one extra.

But if the missiles have trouble with L3 frigate, doubt they will help with L4 rats. Maybe I'll try rockets.

Have had serious problems with drones getting eliminated, and now I'm not even launching them unless I get frigates closing under 10km or I've cleared everything except battleships (for the extra dps) which don't seem to be able to hurt them.
Paranoid Loyd
#4 - 2014-10-31 18:44:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Yeah, it is pretty common practice to not let your drones out past 10km. It is annoying but was a necessary change to curb AFK mission running.

Get all the relevant missile skills up to at least three and try out some additional missions before you give up on them.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Heather Austrene
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-10-31 19:31:44 UTC
Fair enough, I actually only had trained missile launcher and light missiles up to 3 and found 5 skills effecting the performance of light missiles that I didn't even have the skillbook for. Only take a couple days to train them all to 3 and I'll try again.
Goochan derp
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-10-31 22:49:14 UTC
some of the frigs in missions have tiny sig radius, much smaller than any ship we can fly. i think it goes as low as 15 or 18 meters. thats hard to dps with missiles.
Kosetzu
The Black Crow Bandits
Northern Coalition.
#7 - 2014-11-01 12:17:05 UTC
I tried this back when I flew a cane myself, and like already mentioned here it is because you don't have better missile skills basically. Early on it's best to just focus on one type of weapon systems in this game to get it to a decent level first. T2 light/medium drones are also useful to get however.
Heather Austrene
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2014-11-02 02:07:54 UTC
Yes, with a few more skills the two rapid light missile launchers help against frigates and complement arty pretty well. Certainly don't need the drone range mod I had there, all that does is send the drones to their death in an L4 mission, and even some L3 missions. Might even train the missiles before I change to a path to train Loki/Vagabond/Cynabal, still trying to figure out which of these I should aim for.

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#9 - 2014-11-02 06:55:27 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
I am fairly certain that if you are being webbed it is an "elite" frig and is quite a bit harder to kill than your run of the mill NPC frig. Did you try any other missions or just the one?

Also, there are many factors to applying missile damage other than the DPS number, if he was orbiting you very fast your damage application will suffer especially with low skills and no bonuses to the launchers.

Close orbiting frigs will probably die faster if you just fit some rocket launchers instead. HFI can also carry a full set of small drones.

pretty sure there are a ton of non-elite frigs that will web in missions, although not really sure about in level 3 missions as I haven't run them in forever. That said the whole drones getting destroyed seems to imply elite frigs as I'm rather sure only elite frigs will bother to shoot light drones. well aside from drone aggro situations which also I dunno if they even happen anymore.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

The Djego
Hellequin Inc.
#10 - 2014-11-03 10:34:45 UTC
They are very nice against frigs on a Pest or fleet Typhoon/Cane, since you don't need light drones at all and focus with sentry's and guns on bigger stuff. However with low skills and without painters they might be more a light drone support weapon against frigs then a fairly quick solution to them.

Btw proper skilled RLMLs >>> Rockets for the sheer range and kill speed against frigs, since waves/groups in pve only have a finite amount of frigs in them, the limited missile capacity isn't even a big deal breaker, like it is in pvp.

Angel webifiers are elite frigs with much higher resists, EHP, lower sig and higher chance to "boost" her shield back up.

Improve discharge rigging: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=246166&find=unread