These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Interstellar travel possible?

Author
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#21 - 2014-11-01 12:30:24 UTC
Now I'm thinking of an alternative jump method for capitals: Interstellar warp.

You target another star (within jump range), hook up the jump drive to the warp engine, light up the warp engine with the energy spike from the jump drive and accelerate to interstellar warp speed, which is some 10 times normal warp speed. Then after a few hours to days you end up at a random spot close to the targeted star (generated like a orbital launch).

It would be basically front loading the jump fatigue while allowing a somewhat covert entry into a system.
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#22 - 2014-11-01 12:59:20 UTC
I've always been a fan of direct travel, even if technically slower than stargating. My last idea as such was the Star Jump Drive linked in my sig. But previous to that I had something called a Transwarp that would let you warp to any star inside your fuel range or capacitor range at a speed 10x (or more) your warp speed. All CCP would need to do is make a transition effect. I've always preferred the idea of non stargate interstellar travel, just seems more natural... if that makes any sense.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Adela Talvanen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#23 - 2014-11-01 15:14:09 UTC
Harrison Tato wrote:
Space is really big.

That's why it's called Space, there is an awful lot of it out there.
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#24 - 2014-11-01 18:58:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Deacon Abox
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
It would be like finally getting to spend the night with Jessica Alba.. but being a blind quadruple amputee eunuch.

Actually a quintuple amputee would make your metaphor more worthy (eunuchs often didn't lose the whole package). Of course this would still leave you your tongue. Which might be nice enough.

On topic, yeah it is sorta odd how so many space games try to limit travel options. I guess they figure it creates choke points, etc. But ocean going vessels still have navigation commonalities even if they aren't restricted to certain destinations. Having the space equivalent of reefs and currents could be done with some more creative thinking. Oh well, jump gate, get dizzy and spew chunks. Thank CCP for the former and suck up the latter (the chunks Ugh).

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#25 - 2014-11-01 19:49:52 UTC
If you want to point at a star and travel there, just play [redacted]. Bear
Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#26 - 2014-11-01 22:03:40 UTC
Deacon Abox wrote:
It would be like finally getting to spend the night with Jessica Alba.. but being a blind quadruple amputee eunuch.

Actually a quintuple amputee would make your metaphor more worthy (eunuchs often didn't lose the whole package). Of course this would still leave you your tongue. Which might be nice enough.

On topic, yeah it is sorta odd how so many space games try to limit travel options. I guess they figure it creates choke points, etc. But ocean going vessels still have navigation commonalities even if they aren't restricted to certain destinations. Having the space equivalent of reefs and currents could be done with some more creative thinking. Oh well, jump gate, get dizzy and spew chunks. Thank CCP for the former and suck up the latter (the chunks Ugh).

The sea. Flat. Two dimensional movement if we exclude sinking.
Ships on sea are slow, too.

Space, unlike StarTrekSpace, is three dimensional and ships are rather fast.

Then there's the fact that space is much bigger. Much bigger.
there is far more room to navigate through.

Your comparison is invalid.

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#27 - 2014-11-01 22:47:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
Abrazzar wrote:
Not with the game mechanics. Every system is in it's own space. And even if it were, you'd take a long while to go from system to system, even on warp speed.

Not horribly long. An unmodified interceptor could make it from YA0 in Deklein to W-4 in Cloud Ring in about 29 hours, assuming it could make the journey in one long warp.

You could go from anywhere in k-space to anywhere else in k-space in at most a few days. But if you really wanted travel that slow you should have played Astro Empires.
beakerax
Pator Tech School
#28 - 2014-11-01 22:57:27 UTC
Deacon Abox wrote:
Having the space equivalent of reefs and currents could be done with some more creative thinking.

* waves

Sol Project wrote:

hands *
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#29 - 2014-11-02 14:32:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Deacon Abox
Sol Project wrote:

Eve ship physics is more like a submarine. Which is 3 dimensional movement. Your criticism relies on an error in thinking eve physics actually simulate the physics of space travel.

Sol Project wrote:
Ships on sea are slow, too. Space, unlike StarTrekSpace, is three dimensional and ships are rather fast.
"slow" is a relative term. Also, see above.

Sol Project wrote:
Another relative term. On the sub atomic and atomic scale there is "big space" between particles. Also, to 15th century sailors the oceans were quite big, even as they perceived their sailing ships to go quite fast under a good breeze.

Sol Project wrote:
Roll

edit - It seems you and your sister live on these forums. Not that there's anything wrong with that P

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Sol Project
#30 - 2014-11-02 14:49:53 UTC
Deacon Abox wrote:
Sol Project wrote:

Eve ship physics is more like a submarine. Which is 3 dimensional movement. Your criticism relies on an error in thinking eve physics actually simulate the physics of space travel.

Sol Project wrote:
Ships on sea are slow, too. Space, unlike StarTrekSpace, is three dimensional and ships are rather fast.
"slow" is a relative term. Also, see above.

Sol Project wrote:
Another relative term. On the sub atomic and atomic scale there is "big space" between particles. Also, to 15th century sailors the oceans were quite big, even as they perceived their sailing ships to go quite fast under a good breeze.

Sol Project wrote:
Roll

edit - It seems you and your sister live on these forums. Not that there's anything wrong with that P

Wow, I congratulate you for such a nonsensical, trollish response.

Sea=Flat, Space=3D. My criticism was none and was not built on an error. It was pointing out that you are comparing apples with oranges. 2D and 3D. SeaShips vs. SpaceShips. I know it's either beyond you, or you are just grasping for straws to find a way to make it look like your post wasn't stupid.

Your response has nothing to do with what you initially said and does not actually address my response properly.

Have a nice day.

Sol Project
#31 - 2014-11-02 14:51:39 UTC
beakerax wrote:
Deacon Abox wrote:
Having the space equivalent of reefs and currents could be done with some more creative thinking.

* waves

Sol Project wrote:

hands *
You're right.
I feel stupid now just for talking to this guy.

Syn Shi
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-11-02 17:51:21 UTC
Sol Project wrote:
Deacon Abox wrote:

Ships on sea are slow, too.

Space, unlike StarTrekSpace, is three dimensional and ships are rather fast.

You are correct, your comparison is invalid because you are excluding a point that makes your statement correct.

You are purposely showing the sea as 2 dimensional by excluding one of the dimensions and then comparing it to your example by including the same dimension you are excluding.

Carry on.
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#33 - 2014-11-02 19:25:24 UTC
Syn Shi wrote:
retort to troll

Thanks Syn. But look at his posting history. He's an argumentative twit. Thinks he's right all the time, etc. Best just to block him. I did Smile

Back to the OP - MoO II was an old turn-based game that had open interstellar travel. Find a star and click travel to it. There were some wormholes that ported you longer distances in one turn. And there were black holes that blocked your travel to stars beyond in the direction of the black hole. It also had space monsters.

Eve it seems fell into the stargate paradigm. So there is no point to point star to star travel, except through gates. But at least there are many gates to choose from. It would be nice if it were different, but not bad as it is. Now if they can just make the visuals toggle on/off . .

Nevil Oscillator
#34 - 2014-11-02 23:22:50 UTC
1 ly = roughly 60 000 AU

1AU/s = 1000 minutes

5AU/s = 200 minutes

Doesn't sound entirely impossible to me
Previous page12