These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Humble request to revisit warp speeds for BS / BC's

First post First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#101 - 2014-10-23 17:55:00 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:

I just don't think that most of the games battleships have enough of what makes a battleship a battleship to make them worthwhile.

This is the issue with battleships. People get told from a young age that battleships are no good, they then run around thinking this is the truth and then pass it on to the next batch. People think a great many things about this game that are wrong. Great example is the humble skiff. Big tank, good firepower and it often gets used as a bait ship for frigates and destroyers that it then turn inside out. Yet the vast bulk of miners ignore it and continue to die in droves while using untanked retrievers and macks.

The myth that battleships are no good in small gangs started the moment CCP added tracking to the game and ended the age of the heatsink geddon. No matter what you do (short of making battleships wildly overpowered) people will continue to believe this myth and will continue to demand buffs to battleships to make them more like their cruiser.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2014-10-23 17:58:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Kagura Nikon
baltec1 wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:

I just don't think that most of the games battleships have enough of what makes a battleship a battleship to make them worthwhile.

This is the issue with battleships. People get told from a young age that battleships are no good, they then run around thinking this is the truth and then pass it on to the next batch. People think a great many things about this game that are wrong. Great example is the humble skiff. Big tank, good firepower and it often gets used as a bait ship for frigates and destroyers that it then turn inside out. Yet the vast bulk of miners ignore it and continue to die in droves while using untanked retrievers and macks.

The myth that battleships are no good in small gangs started the moment CCP added tracking to the game and ended the age of the heatsink geddon. No matter what you do (short of making battleships wildly overpowered) people will continue to believe this myth and will continue to demand buffs to battleships to make them more like their cruiser.

aa sure.. because all the people that excel in small scale PV use battleships a lot right? And NO your roamign fleets are NOT small scale PVP. Small scale is 3-5 guys.

We usually laugh when people bring battleships on these numbers agaisnt our cruisers, unless these cruisers are Bhalghorn and armageddon ( that alongside the vindicator and maybe the domi are the only ones relevant in smaller scale combat).

Blaster boats can have success against stupid people, but just because they are the ONLY battleships with SERIOUSLY more firepower than the cruiser sized hulls. But agaisnt peopel that have half a brain, megas are irrelevant in modern small scale combat against ships of smaller size.

I do not remember when was last time a mega even hurt any of our ships.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#103 - 2014-10-23 18:04:53 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:
The problem is that HACs and pirate cruisers cause more hurt, offer more tactical options and do it for less isk and risk, and I think that the proof lies in what ships people actually use.

Bull. Outside of the blaster vigilant, it is almost impossible to match a brawling battleships DPS, which is either 1k+ or you are seriously doing it wrong. A maelstrom with autos can pull 990 even without going to t2 ammo, and these are the lowest DPS of the short range weapons, and are moderately capable of hitting ships attempting to kite you if used properly.

A rokh pushes 1k to 10km. Mega pushes 1.2k to 8km. Seriously wondering why everyone says they don't bring the hurt. It takes a slightly different mix of support to make them great, but the larger base tank means that a similar resist profile puts out much more EHP and the larger number of slots makes for much less of the slots taken up for tank.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#104 - 2014-10-23 18:25:14 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:
The problem is that HACs and pirate cruisers cause more hurt, offer more tactical options and do it for less isk and risk, and I think that the proof lies in what ships people actually use.

Bull. Outside of the blaster vigilant, it is almost impossible to match a brawling battleships DPS, which is either 1k+ or you are seriously doing it wrong. A maelstrom with autos can pull 990 even without going to t2 ammo, and these are the lowest DPS of the short range weapons, and are moderately capable of hitting ships attempting to kite you if used properly.

A rokh pushes 1k to 10km. Mega pushes 1.2k to 8km. Seriously wondering why everyone says they don't bring the hurt. It takes a slightly different mix of support to make them great, but the larger base tank means that a similar resist profile puts out much more EHP and the larger number of slots makes for much less of the slots taken up for tank.

The raw dps isn't the only story. Application is just as important.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#105 - 2014-10-23 18:27:36 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:

Blasters and autos have reasonable tracking, and swapping some of your tackle's utility mods to TPs solves the other side of this problem.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#106 - 2014-10-23 18:30:33 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:

Blasters and autos have reasonable tracking, and swapping some of your tackle's utility mods to TPs solves the other side of this problem.

Why would I bother when i could keep my tackle's utilty and just use HACs or pirate cruisers instead of catering to the battleships?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#107 - 2014-10-23 18:34:00 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

aa sure.. because all the people that excel in small scale PV use battleships a lot right? And NO your roamign fleets are NOT small scale PVP. Small scale is 3-5 guys.

Rook and Kings use them heavily.

Kagura Nikon wrote:

We usually laugh when people bring battleships on these numbers agaisnt our cruisers, unless these cruisers are Bhalghorn and armageddon ( that alongside the vindicator and maybe the domi are the only ones relevant in smaller scale combat).

A fine example of what I was just talking about
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Blaster boats can have success against stupid people, but just because they are the ONLY battleships with SERIOUSLY more firepower than the cruiser sized hulls. But agaisnt peopel that have half a brain, megas are irrelevant in modern small scale combat against ships of smaller size.

This kinda shows you lack of experience with large blasters, they have no issue with hitting cruisers.

Kagura Nikon wrote:

Then you haven't met a good megathron pilot.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#108 - 2014-10-23 18:37:02 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:

A brutix outdps The tempest and the maesltrom and possibly others. And when you start to fire at real targets that MOVE and have signature under 500m.. then the effective DPS of the battleships drop even more.

Of course blaster battleships brign the hurt.. but any Cruiser sidez pilot must be stupid or have really bad luck or be BLOBED by tackled to get caught by a close range battleship.

The good battleships are the oens that use DRONES as primary damage, and fill all the high slots with neuts (heavy neuts are the ONLY powerful thing battleships really have).

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#109 - 2014-10-23 18:44:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Kagura Nikon
baltec1 wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Rook and Kings use them heavily.

Kagura Nikon wrote:

A fine example of what I was just talking about
Kagura Nikon wrote:

This kinda shows you lack of experience with large blasters, they have no issue with hitting cruisers.

Kagura Nikon wrote:

Rokhs and kings are great, but they are NOT exactly mainstream. And even them admit that theat way of fighting isnot able to keep us and they shifted their tactics a lot, to thing like pipebombing.

And lol at saying WE lack experience at small scale warfare.. just lol. Liek when peopel help my argument by making themselves look stupid. Yes Blasters have a HORRIBLE time hittign cruisers.. BECAUSE THE CRUISERS WILL NOT GET CLOSE! Your answer shows your lack of experience with PILTOS THAT HAVE A BRAIN and do not need a FC!

I will NEVER get under 20k from a blaster ship , and the first thing we will do is get rid of the rapiers and lokis that are the ONLY ships able to make a blaster mega become relevant.

I know after so much time in the swarm you start to forget the concept that a group of players that can eachone think by itself are able to avoid these simplistic pitfalls.

We Kill LOTS of these magnificient battleships when other combat grousp bring them to fight us.. and I frankly cannot remember last time one killed any of us ( except the bait tackler of course).

A very few battleships are powerful (I am talking T1 battleships, marauders, black ops and pirate ones are a different story) for small scale combat. And they tend to be the ones that use droens so they can use a full rack of neuts (that are FAR FAR more dangerous than large blasters)

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#110 - 2014-10-23 18:47:28 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

A brutix outdps The tempest and the maesltrom and possibly others. And when you start to fire at real targets that MOVE and have signature under 500m.. then the effective DPS of the battleships drop even more.

Now look at how far those ships can project that firepower.

Kagura Nikon wrote:

Of course blaster battleships brign the hurt.. but any Cruiser sidez pilot must be stupid or have really bad luck or be BLOBED by tackled to get caught by a close range battleship.

My BS can hit 1500m/s. A lot of cruisers must come in range of my weapons to attack me. A small gang will have targets tackled. Chances are you will be in range

Kagura Nikon wrote:

The good battleships are the oens that use DRONES as primary damage, and fill all the high slots with neuts (heavy neuts are the ONLY powerful thing battleships really have).

Aside from blasters, torps, cruise missiles, RHML, autocannons, arty, pulse lasers, large smartbombs....
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#111 - 2014-10-23 18:51:04 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Rokhs and kings are great, but they are NOT exactly mainstream. And even them admit that theat way of fighting isnot able to keep us and they shifted their tactics a lot, to thing like pipebombing.

That comment was with dealing with the blob, not people like you.
Kagura Nikon wrote:

And lol at saying WE lack experience at small scale warfare.. just lol. Liek when peopel help my argument by making themselves look stupid. Yes Blasters have a HORRIBLE time hittign cruisers.. BECAUSE THE CRUISERS WILL NOT GET CLOSE! Your answer shows your lack of experience with PILTOS THAT HAVE A BRAIN and do not need a FC!

I track fighter and destroyers. You honestly think a cruiser is too small to hit?

Kagura Nikon wrote:

I will NEVER get under 20k from a blaster ship , and the first thing we will do is get rid of the rapiers and lokis that are the ONLY ships able to make a blaster mega become relevant.

Blasters have a 40km range.

Kagura Nikon wrote:

I know after so much time in the swarm you start to forget the concept that a group of players that can eachone think by itself are able to avoid these simplistic pitfalls.
Remember the bit I said about myths? Goons only working in blobs is one of them.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#112 - 2014-10-23 19:11:30 UTC
Said fits all push damage out to 45 or better with a simple ammo swap, most cruisers with an MWD lit have a sig of 300+ to compare to the current sig radius of 400 for the guns to track without penalty ( assuming no links) and these battleships all mount a lovely little thing called a 100mn MWD, which pushes their speed to roughly 3/4 that of most armor cruisers, and then combined with ability to hit at much longer ranges than medium guns, this makes for a really nasty engagement basket that has a sharp increase in DPS as they close. Also, by removing the "holy trinity" of web/scram/prop from these ships, you can massively increase the ability to successfully engage smaller targets while the fast tackle (t1 frigs and inties) and sticky tackle (cruisers and assault frigs) bring these lovely targets to a webbed non-MWDing crawl, letting you rip oversized holes in these smaller ships. All it takes is accepting that you need to get tackle, and then bring on the heavy DPS rather than all arrive as a blob.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#113 - 2014-10-23 19:24:25 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Do you think more people would fly them if they were to cost less? Talking about battleship in general, not only megathron of course. Following that, would more good BS pilots potentially emerge if the ship became more popular?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#114 - 2014-10-23 19:40:46 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Do you think more people would fly them if they were to cost less? Talking about battleship in general, not only megathron of course. Following that, would more good BS pilots potentially emerge if the ship became more popular?

Unlikely. People will spend battleship money on t3 and pirate/faction cruisers right now. Its a mental issue rather than isk.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#115 - 2014-10-23 19:41:05 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

To be good at something requires practice. If you never practice, you cannot be good at it. If a thing is not used, then there is no one practicing it, developing the TTPs for it and generally making it usable by the vast majority of players.

First and fore most in developing skill is practice and experience.
Then you can find out if you have talent. If you do, you may end up one of the exceptional pilots/FCs/CEOs that end up talked of and looked up to. If you don't, fine, you are now a practiced and experienced pilot with the ability to (hopefully) perform at the standard.
All it takes to be a "good" pilot is to consistently perform at the standard and never make the first mistake.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Maraner
The Executioners
#116 - 2014-10-23 19:47:12 UTC
It dosent seem to matter what anyone say about anything regarding the current shape of BS in the game Baltec is going to argue against it.

Clearly they are constantly seen in low sec and are grossly op at the moment.

They are never monstered at a belt by assault frigs (not that anyone ever sees a BS at a belt anymore), nor are they kited into oblivion by every hac in the game. Blapped by dreds, and sniped out of existance by rail ships.

I am not asking for a lift to ehp or tracking or a return of the utility high slot. - although all of those things would be nice.

I am asking for a lift in the AU speed. Thats it. So that they can keep up in mixed comp fleets, this would allow them to use their strenghts whilst having their weaknesses mitigated by other ships in the fleet.

No other ships in the game with the exception of the BC's need to fit warp speed modifying rigs or low slots to be relevant on roaming fleets.

I'm sure that we all love to see tons of ishtar fleets about but this is about trying to address this problem and bring back some variety in fleet comps.

Thanks to everyone for posting.
Maraner
The Executioners
#117 - 2014-10-23 19:55:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Maraner
The many other BS in the game are irrelevant when not bridged in numbers. Those that are commenting that everything is fine, ask yourselves when was the last time you saw a typhoon or a domi in low sec, or a gang of BS. Yes RnK do a fantastic job with their pipe bomb setups, but that is an extreme niche function fired from the back of a titan.

For the rest of eve that doesn't bridge hordes of rail megas the lack of variety of BS in the game and their rarity is a problem.

Their vulnerability to almost everything else in the game is also a problem. The solution to this is to enable them to fly with mixed fleets.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#118 - 2014-10-23 20:01:35 UTC
There is nothing preventing you from accepting the tradeoffs currently inherent to the class. There is nothing preventing you from mitigating these problems. There is no reason not to use them when you know you are going in balls deep into a tough fight to engage enemy assets, be they close to home or far away. The issue is much more with the lack of willingness to attack the infrastructure of the enemy to pull them to you, and/or with the short sighted style of "roam for prey" rather than finding a suitable bit of prey close by and then jumping into the pwnmobiles as appropriate to the numbers and preferred ship.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Iain Cariaba
#119 - 2014-10-23 20:06:53 UTC
This thread gives me the mental picture of the last time I was in walmart, with Maraner as the screaming two year old throwing a tantrum because mommy wouldn't buy him candy.

Claiming that BS are broken because they warp slower than smaller ships is utter BS. If you use any tool outside it's intended purpose, you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn' work out right. Stop trying to use a sledgehammer to swat a mosquito.
Maraner
The Executioners
#120 - 2014-10-23 20:12:45 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
This thread gives me the mental picture of the last time I was in walmart, with Maraner as the screaming two year old throwing a tantrum because mommy wouldn't buy him candy.

Claiming that BS are broken because they warp slower than smaller ships is utter BS. If you use any tool outside it's intended purpose, you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn' work out right. Stop trying to use a sledgehammer to swat a mosquito.

Thanks for that. I have been polite to opposing opinions throught this thread. I respect other people even when they are wrong... like you.