These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Space exploration games?

Author
Cyndrogen
The Greatest Corp in the Universe
#1 - 2014-10-22 02:46:37 UTC
Remember Star Control 2?

Pretty fun space exploration game with a good balance of resource gathering / pew pew content.

I am looking for a game where I can drive a rover around on a planet, explore the terrain, gather resources, build stuff. Haul the stuff back to my drop ship, fly to my spaceship and go to the next system to explore. Find ancient relics and tech from a species long gone.... or are they merely watching and taking note of who's collecting their relics?

Any game that comes to mind that fits this scenario please share.

Yes I have played all 3 mass effect games.

GO! Post suggestions!

Every day in every way I improve my skills and get better.

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#2 - 2014-10-22 11:20:42 UTC
A bit of an old one, but Spore has some of what you want in the last game phase with the space and planet exploration.

Another space game I've liked is X3: Albion Prelude. A tough one to pick up with a complex ui, I still think it's one of the best combat, exploration, and trading sims out there.
Cyndrogen
#3 - 2014-10-22 17:58:01 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
A bit of an old one, but Spore has some of what you want in the last game phase with the space and planet exploration.

Another space game I've liked is X3: Albion Prelude. A tough one to pick up with a complex ui, I still think it's one of the best combat, exploration, and trading sims out there.

Yes, I have played Spore, the last stage of development was fun, especially terraforming planets, making my own "shake and bake" colonies. ;)

I just watched Aliens again recently and I just love the whole idea of a drop ship, with a rover inside to explore a desolate planet and build stuff.

I bought X rebirth recently but still have not had time to really get deep into it. Elite Dangerous looks promising as does Limit Theory. Not sure about Star Citizen but I know they are working on a land rover model to fit inside the exploration vessel.

Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#4 - 2014-10-22 18:12:18 UTC
Perhaps you could try Kerbal Space Program with some resource gathering mods?

I know its not exactly what you are looking for but hey its space and you can drive around on planets and moons.
Cyndrogen
#5 - 2014-10-22 18:19:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyndrogen
Commissar Kate wrote:

I know its not exactly what you are looking for but hey its space and you can drive around on planets and moons.

I did actually look into the Kerbal Space program but have not tried it yet. Thanks!

I also downloaded Space Engineers recently. Great progress so far.

http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Space Engine, different from Space Engineers btw, has some beautiful visuals and you can explore landscapes. No rover but its still mesmerizing. The best part about space engine is that you can upload eve ships into the game itself.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

Eve online MOD pack:

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-752-1

Kaaeliaa
Tyrannos Sunset
#6 - 2014-10-22 19:10:19 UTC
Cyndrogen wrote:
Commissar Kate wrote:

I did actually look into the Kerbal Space program but have not tried it yet. Thanks!

I also downloaded Space Engineers recently. Great progress so far.

http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Space Engine, different from Space Engineers btw, has some beautiful visuals and you can explore landscapes. No rover but its still mesmerizing. The best part about space engine is that you can upload eve ships into the game itself.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

Eve online MOD pack:

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-752-1

Hope you have fun with Kerbal Space Program! May not be exactly what you were looking for in the OP but I'll be damned if it isn't some of the best money I've ever spent on a game.

"Do not lift the veil. Do not show the door. Do not split the dream."

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#7 - 2014-10-23 02:49:15 UTC
Cyndrogen wrote:
Derrick Miles wrote:

Yes, I have played Spore, the last stage of development was fun, especially terraforming planets, making my own "shake and bake" colonies. ;)

I just watched Aliens again recently and I just love the whole idea of a drop ship, with a rover inside to explore a desolate planet and build stuff.

I bought X rebirth recently but still have not had time to really get deep into it. Elite Dangerous looks promising as does Limit Theory. Not sure about Star Citizen but I know they are working on a land rover model to fit inside the exploration vessel.

X Rebirth was a big departure from the previous X games, it was a huge disappointment for me and a lot of others judging by the reviews. I was a backer for Star Citizen but at the moment it still looks like vaporware.
Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-10-23 10:35:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Graygor
I liked sins of a solar empire for space based combat.

Theres an old, old classic in imperium galactica 2. Very dated but still great imo.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Adela Talvanen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-10-23 12:17:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Adela Talvanen
Before Eve Online nothing could touch Elite for play-ability, and I mean the original version with wire frame graphics.
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#10 - 2014-10-23 13:13:05 UTC
Master of Orion II, is what I played for many years before finding EVE in 2006. I still have it able to run in a dos box on my old desktop. You will need dos box for it to run afaik. (don't buy MoO III, it was absolute ****).

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Rena Monachica
Capital Hot Rods
#11 - 2014-10-24 02:44:35 UTC
awww man .. Star Control 2. So many good childhood memories :) Happy Campers and Frungy, the sport of kings

You could check out "Alien Legacy" .. didnt play that much, but it fits your wish
Cyndrogen
#12 - 2014-10-24 03:41:36 UTC
Thanks for the suggestions. I also liked Phantasy Star 2, had a bit of exploration + vehicle rover action.

Anyone remember Blaster Master 2?